Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

terrible shame, he was never able to rise.

(AS A STAR!)

I'll assume that he never opted to go by Dick.

Expresso Bongo (1959)  -  6/10

MV5BNTViNzViMWEtZTY1OS00Y2I4LWI1NTMtNzZl

British musical satire of the record industry, with Laurence Harvey as a fast-talking talent manager who discovers Cliff Richard (and the Shadows) playing bongos in a nightclub. Harvey ushers the boy to stardom, with the attendant rewards and pitfalls. Also featuring Sylvia Syms, Yolande Donlan, Meier Tzelniker, Ambrosine Phillpotts, Eric Pohlmann, Burt Kwouk, Wilfrid Lawson, Susan Hampshire, and Hermione Baddeley. Harvey goes at it with gusto and is fun to watch. The story loses steam before it's over, and the movie is about 20 minutes too long, but there's still some enjoyment in the setting. And Syms, as Harvey's stripper girlfriend, is appealing.

939-3.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

British musical satire of the record industry, with Laurence Harvey as a fast-talking talent manager who discovers Cliff Richard (and the Shadows) playing bongos in a nightclub. Harvey ushers the boy to stardom, with the attendant rewards and pitfalls. Also featuring Sylvia Syms, Yolande Donlan, Meier Tzelniker, Ambrosine Phillpotts, Eric Pohlmann, Burt Kwouk, Wilfrid Lawson, Susan Hampshire, and Hermione Baddeley. Harvey goes at it with gusto and is fun to watch. The story loses steam before it's over, and the movie is about 20 minutes too long, but there's still some enjoyment in the setting. And Syms, as Harvey's stripper girlfriend, is appealing.

939-3.jpg

Any film with Ambrosine Phillpotts is an automatic plus.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

And Syms, as Harvey's stripper girlfriend, is appealing.

939-3.jpg

Well, you know she's at least peeling.

• Haha 1

Gangster Story (1959)  -  2/10

220px-GangsterStoryPoster.jpg

I wasn't expecting much, but was surprised by how truly atrocious this no-budget crime drama was. Walter Matthau stars as a notorious escaped criminal who decides to rob a small-town bank to fund his further getaway. This naturally brings him more heat from the cops, as well as the local racketeer. Matthau hides out with librarian Carol Grace (Matthau's real-life wife), which puts her in danger as well. Also featuring Bruce MacFarlane, Garry Walberg, Raikin Ben-Ari, David Leonard, Clegg Hoyt, and Vic Tayback. Matthau was struggling with gambling debt, so he agreed to both star in and direct this for the princely sum of $2500. The end result is stupid, badly written, poorly acted, and features a completely looped audio track. This ranks right up there with the worst films released in the 1950's, and it was frankly shocking to see Matthau in something so bottom-of-the-barrel. 

• Thanks 1

The Gene Krupa Story (1959)  -  6/10

Gene+Krupa+Story.2.jpg

"Was it reefers that made him tops?" So screams a newspaper headline in this at-times hysterical musical biopic of jazz drummer Gene Krupa (Sal Mineo). Much of the film is given over to Krupa's love life, including with characters played by Susan Kohner, Yvonne Craig, and Susan Oliver. Also featuring James Darren as Krupa's trumpet-player friend, Bobby Troup as Tommy Dorsey, Celia Lovsky, Lawrence Dobkin, and Stanley Adams, and with Buddy Lester, Red Nichols, and Anita O'Day as themselves. Lovin' Spoonful's John Sebastian is also supposedly among the background players. 

• Like 2

The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer -- 6/10 (1947)

***WARNING:  A few spoilers below****

Currently watching this now on TCM.   This is a side sticking lol movie with a bit older Shirley Temple, Cary Grant and Myrna Loy.   

A little ahead of its time with a proto-feminist tint to it with a female judge and an ambitious high school teenager but not over the top by any means.   Honestly, I have no clue how many female judges there were in 1947...maybe more than I think???

Anyway, the premise is that Cary Grant, a sophisticated good looking dude winds up in court in front of the judge.  He's a known regular in the court room with Judge Turner (Loy).   He ends up speaking at Turner's sister school and she immediately falls in love with him.  The rest is history......Judge Turner, in an attempt to rid her sister of her infatuation, sentences Nugent (Grant) to date her sister so she will get over her inflation with him.  What follows is LOL comedy through out the rest of the story.

I really like about everything I've seen so far in this movie and its not even over yet!!!!

But one great quote:

Richard Nugent: Hey, you remind me of a man. 
Susan Turner: What man? 
Richard Nugent: Man with the power. 
Susan Turner: What power? 
Richard Nugent: Power of hoodoo. 
Susan Turner: Hoodoo? 
Richard Nugent: You do. 
Susan Turner: Do what? 
Richard Nugent: Remind me of a man... 

MV5BZWRjY2UxZmQtYTlkOS00YzM0LTgwZGYtZTRkNzE1YTM5ZWNlL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI3OTIzOA@@._V1_.jpg

Girls Town (1959)  -  5/10

220px-Girls_Town.jpg

Producer Albert Zugsmith strikes again with this ridiculous "juvenile" delinquent story that features a once-in-a-lifetime cast. Mamie Van Doren stars as "Silver", a "teen" who is wrongfully accused of tossing a guy off a cliff. She gets sent to the title locale, an all-female detention center run by nuns, where she causes more trouble. Featuring Gigi Perreau, Elinor Donahue, Paul Anka, Mel Torme, Maggie Hayes, Ray Anthony, Dick Contino, Cathy Crosby, Sheilah Graham, Norman Grabowski, Jim Mitchum, Harold Lloyd Jr. and Charlie Chaplin Jr., and the Platters. The plot is silly, the acting overripe, and Mamie looks sewn into her costumes. This is primo trash cinema, relentlessly dumb and entertaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More or less fun than Untamed Youth?

2 minutes ago, Fedya said:

More or less fun than Untamed Youth?

Eddie Cochran is cooler than Paul Anka, so Untamed Youth has that going for it. However, Girls Town is certainly funnier. I mean, Mel Torme plays a heavy. Mel Torme!

hqdefault.jpg

5 hours ago, rayban said:

Any film with Ambrosine Phillpotts is an automatic plus.

I saw Ambrosine Phillpotts on stage once. Many years ago at the Savoy Theatre, in a play called A Ghost on Tiptoe. Robert Morley played a man who thinks he's dying, so he wears a pink suit and prances about. That's all I remember about it. I think in the end he lives, sort of like Ralph Kramden in the arterial monochromia episode.

In any case, the play had a great cast. It was my first visit to the beautiful Savoy Theatre.

2014GY4472.jpg

• Like 1

Green Mansions (1959)  -  5/10

225209608.jpg

Anthony Perkins stars as a man escaping from revolutionary violence by entering the South American jungle. He encounters natives led by Sessue Hayakawa and his son Henry Silva, before meeting the mysterious Rima (Audrey Hepburn), a seeming innocent who is in communion with the natural world all around them. As Tony and Rima begin a tentative romance, they meet resistance both from the natives and ornery old man Lee J. Cobb, who also lives nearby. Featuring Nehemiah Persoff and Michael Pate. This was directed by Hepburn's then-husband Mel Ferrer. The film uses a lot of bad process shots that repeatedly took me out of the action. I also didn't much care for Perkins' character. The movie's just off-beat enough to generate a cult following, I would guess.

• Thanks 1

"The Bible" (2013) miniseries is being presented again on the History Channel

Can't help getting a kick out of Satan.

satan_inTheBibleTVshow_orig_2013apr_325x

No Place to Hide (1981)  -  5/10

72688_1_front.jpg

TV-movie thriller starring Kathleen Beller as an art student who keeps seeing a menacing figure. Is it all in her head or is the threat real? Featuring Mariette Hartley as her mother, Keir Dullea as a psychiatrist, Gary Graham, Arlen Dean Snyder, Sandy McPeak, and Milton Selzer. This is more routine stuff, competently made but very predictable.

7 hours ago, Solafide said:

The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer -- 6/10 (1947)

But one great quote:

Richard Nugent: Hey, you remind me of a man. 
Susan Turner: What man? 
Richard Nugent: Man with the power. 
Susan Turner: What power? 
Richard Nugent: Power of hoodoo. 
Susan Turner: Hoodoo? 
Richard Nugent: You do. 
Susan Turner: Do what? 
Richard Nugent: Remind me of a man... 

...That's not how David Bowie's song goes!  ;)

Bowie.jpg.hashed.3bf2ac0d.desktop.story.

• Haha 1

The Yakuza (1975)

Intelligent action drama, with Robert Mitchum as a former private eye asked by a friend (Brian Keith) to travel to Japan to help save that friend's daughter, held captive by the Yakuza, a Japanese crime organization, after the friend failed to deliver some guns to them.

An action film which also effectively delves into relationships, dealing with men who live by a code of honour, putting their lives on the line in the process. The film's action scenes still work, presented with impact by director Sydney Pollack. There may be a few moments of squeamishness for some viewers.

Mitchum is excellent, bringing sensitivity to his re-union scenes with an old flame, while at the same time thoroughly convincing when it comes to the action. Takakura Ken matches him in effectiveness, as a former Yakuza with a debt of honour to Mitchum who, despite not liking him, is committed to helping him. As it turns out, Ken will not be the only person in this relationship who lives by a code of honour.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, marvelling, once again, at what a great old pro Mitchum remained to be on screen. He still satisfies as a performer in The Yakuza, a film I would rank as one of the better ones of his career.

the-yakuza-1974-movie-still-07.jpg

3 out of 4

• Like 4

220px-Girls_Town.jpg

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

This is primo trash cinema, relentlessly dumb and entertaining.

Great description! I love this movie a little more than Untamed Youth because I think it's a better story line...and Mamie's songs really thud in Untamed Youts. While I'm a big Eddie Cochran fan, I'm a bigger Tormé fan.

220px-The_Day_the_Earth_Froze_poster_-_1

This is another Mystery Science Theater episode (as is Girls Town) which blew my mind. Sampo was a big thing for MST3K. 

European children fantasy films is one of my favorite genres and I love this one. I think the witch's house dancing on legs is one of my favorite effects....plus that doey eyed insipid heroine.

• Like 1

That was a pretty funny MST3K episode.

*sun is blocked out*

Joel: "It's okay. I'm more of a night person anyway." :lol: 

Also the chant of "Sampo! Sampo! Sampo!" like a cheesy commercial when it is first introduced is pretty good. A very enjoyable one of Ptushko's fantasy films of which he was known for in Russia.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

That was a pretty funny MST3K episode.

*sun is blocked out*

Joel: "It's okay. I'm more of a night person anyway." :lol: 

Also the chant of "Sampo! Sampo! Sampo!" like a cheesy commercial when it is first introduced is pretty good. A very enjoyable one of Ptushko's fantasy films of which he was known for in Russia.

THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE was THE MST episode that HOOKED ME, I still remember catching it on COMEDY CENTRAL in the summer of 1994 before I had to go to work and nearly dying of laughter.

my favorite part is when the evil witch steals the mythical SAMPO (some kind of contraption that makes gold and salt out of thin air, and that's it) and is using it and she turns to her excited troll minions and Crow says "WHO'S HUNGRY FOR SALT?!?"

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

This is another Mystery Science Theater episode (as is Girls Town) which blew my mind. Sampo was a big thing for MST3K. 

European children fantasy films is one of my favorite genres and I love this one. I think the witch's house dancing on legs is one of my favorite effects....plus that doey eyed insipid heroine.

That is actually from JACK FROST, which is one of my favorite, favorite MST eps ever.

They did four Russo-Finnish "fairy tales" during the run of MST: THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE, SINBAD THE SAILOR, JACK FROST, and THE SWORD AND THE DRAGON.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Eddie Cochran is cooler than Paul Anka, so Untamed Youth has that going for it. However, Girls Town is certainly funnier. I mean, Mel Torme plays a heavy. Mel Torme!

hqdefault.jpg

I remember this film from MST3000. A laugh riot! Everyone is supposed to be teenagers but are obviously in their 20s or even older. I think Paul Anka sings Ave Maria in this one.

Guns Girls and Gangsters (1959)  -  4/10

220px-Gunsgirlsgangsters.JPG

Mamie Van Doren stars as a Las Vegas nightclub singer who gets mixed up with Gerald Mohr, a paroled crook who was cellmates with Mamie's husband Lee Van Cleef. Mohr has a "foolproof" scheme to rob an armored car, and while he assembles the team necessary for the job, he falls for Mamie's "charms". Things go south when Lee Van Cleef decides to bust outta the joint and come lookin' for trouble. Also with Grant Richards, Elaine Edwards, John Baer, Paul Fix, and John Mitchum. This low-rent crime drama uses hammy docudrama narration to try lend more credibility to the proceedings, but it's a wasted effort. Mohr is awful, and I kept hoping someone, anyone would hit his face with something. There's a fistfight inside a car that's unintentionally hilarious. I see that this movie has a pretty decent IMDb rating (6.3/10), so maybe I'm being overly critical, but I thought the movie was a dumb, sloppy joke.

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I remember this film GIRLS TOWN from MST3000. I think Paul Anka sings Ave Maria in this one.

Yes he does, And during one of the reaction shots of Mamie to his singing, one of the robots says “I swear to god if you don’t stop singing right now I am going to devote the rest of my life to the service of Satan.”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes he does, And during one of the reaction shots of Mamie to his singing, one of the robots says “I swear to god if you don’t stop singing right now I am going to devote the rest of my life to the service of Satan.”

LOL. MAMIE for SOTM!!!!

Oh, I watched Tomorrow the World over the wknd. "Skippy" Homier was so awful. WHERE did his accent come from???? You must've meant Betty Field, not Bonita Granville? Bonita was in  Hitler's Children. And that sappy happy ending. GAG. You weren't kidding! :D

• Thanks 1