Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shallow Grave (1994) The new flatmate of three preexisting roomies turns up dead of an overdose. The flatmates find his syringe and a suitcase with a large sum of money. The roomies decide to keep the loot and bury the body out in the woods. Of course it all goes to hell pretty quickly and the new roommate's accomplices come looking for their money. 7/10

Director Danny Boyle, stars Kerry Fox, Christopher Eccleston, Ewan McGregor. 

Image result for shallow grave film poster

• Like 4
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Shallow Grave (1994) The new flatmate of three preexisting roomies turns up dead of an overdose. The flatmates find his syringe and a suitcase with a large sum of money. The roomies decide to keep the loot and bury the body out in the woods. Of course it all goes to hell pretty quickly and the new roommate's accomplices come looking for their money. 7/10

Terrific thriller, thanks for reminding me about this one.

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I love this one too. It was the first time I noticed Ewan McGregor though Christopher Eccleston gives the standout performance. Great twist ending too.

• Like 1

The Exiles (1961)  -  5/10

Exiles%252C+The+%2528VHS%2529++%255B1961

Unusual blend of documentary and artifice from director Kent Mackenzie. The movie follows one night in the lives of a group of young Native Americans living in Los Angeles. The cast is all non-professionals playing themselves, or at least versions of themselves, with most of the dialogue based on transcripts of previous interviews that the cast gave to the filmmakers. So the "actors" are re-enacting scenes that they had described at an earlier date, but presented here as spontaneous and true-to-life. For me, the experimental nature of the film didn't really work, with much the film's 72 minute running time taken up with boring, mundane stuff, a lot of small talk and meandering pointlessness, which may, in fact, have been part of the point. The saving grace for me was the excellent B&W cinematography of L.A.

Source: TCM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The Exiles (1961)  -  5/10

Exiles%252C+The+%2528VHS%2529++%255B1961

Unusual blend of documentary and artifice from director Kent Mackenzie. The movie follows one night in the lives of a group of young Native Americans living in Los Angeles. The cast is all non-professionals playing themselves, or at least versions of themselves, with most of the dialogue based on transcripts of previous interviews that the cast gave to the filmmakers. So the "actors" are re-enacting scenes that they had described at an earlier date, but presented here as spontaneous and true-to-life. For me, the experimental nature of the film didn't really work, with much the film's 72 minute running time taken up with boring, mundane stuff, a lot of small talk and meandering pointlessness, which may, in fact, have been part of the point. The saving grace for me was the excellent B&W cinematography of L.A.

Source: TCM

I liked it for the cinematography of Bunker Hill, the plight of Native Americans is not much different even today on a lot of the poorer reservations.

The Explosive Generation (1961)  -  6/10

220px-The_Explosive_Generation_(film_pos

B-movie drama featuring William Shatner as a new high school teacher who dares to discuss the subject of sex education, causing an upheaval throughout the community. With Lee Kinsolving, Patty McCormack, Virginia Field, Stephen Dunne, Phillip Terry, Arch Johnson, Edward Platt, Suzi Carnell, Jan Norris, Billy Gray, Vito Scotti, Jocelyn Brando, and Beau Bridges. This was racy stuff for the time, although it's nothing that you couldn't play unedited on network TV now. There's a lot of "frank talk" with the kids, including some boys questioning military service, an early tremblor of the anti-war earthquake later in the decade. 

Source: internet

MV5BNjdhZmNhOWQtZDkyMi00MDYzLWJlMTQtZjg0

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fear No More (1961)  -  6/10

94962-fear-no-more-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?

Low-budget thriller with Mala Powers as a woman on the run after escaping from police who were questioning her about a murder. She crosses paths with nice-guy Jacques Bergerac who decides to try and help her, only he begins to wonder if she's really in trouble or is it all in her mind? With John Harding, Helena Nash, John Baer, Anna Lee Carroll, Robert Karnes, and Peter Brocco. The story doesn't make a lot of sense if you take time to ponder it, but the movie moves quickly and it's entertaining. Bergerac seems to mangle a fair share of his dialogue, though.

Source: Something Weird DVD

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Bergerac seems to mangle a fair share of his dialogue, though.

He's pretty good as the hypnotist in The Hypnotic Eye (1960) with Merry Anders and 50 foot woman Allison Hayes.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Fedya said:

Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Nobody explodes

Yuk yuk--Now, how do you Hide Spoilers?  I've been trying to figure that out.  

He's pretty good as the hypnotist in The Hypnotic Eye (1960) with Merry Anders and 50 foot woman Allison Hayes.

(Uh, ix-nay on the Ifty-fay, Joe, you know who that sets off...)  :D

The Giant of Metropolis (1961)  -  4/10

hqdefault.jpg

Bizarre Italian muscleman fantasy with Gordon Mitchell as Obro, a beefy hero from a distant land who, in the year 20,000 B.C., travels to the fabled land of Atlantis and the city of Metropolis. He was tasked by his father with stopping the scientists of Metropolis from meddling with the laws of nature, which is sure to bring destruction upon them all. The corrupt leader of Metropolis, Yotar (Roldano Lupi), wants to use the unusually durable Obro as the vessel for his experimental brain transplant surgery. Also featuring Bella Cortez, Liana Orfei, Furio Meniconi, and Marietto as little "Elmos". This resembles many of the other Hercules-type adventures from the period, although this one features elaborate sci-fi sets, weird costumes, and interesting production design. Unfortunately the script is awful, the acting is worse, the dubbing is predictably bad, and the fight scenes laughable.

Source: YouTube

• Haha 1

Goodbye Again (1961)  -  6/10

goodbyeagain.jpg?w=660

Romantic drama with Ingrid Bergman as an interior designer in Paris. She's been a longtime lover of businessman Yves Montand. Bergman meets young man Anthony Perkins while on one of her jobs, and Anthony immediately falls for her. Bergman wants to remain faithful to Montand, only the feeling is not reciprocated as he takes on a string of lovers. This drives Ingrid into Anthony's arms, but the age difference may doom their chances at happiness. With Jesse Royce Landis, Peter Bull, Pierre Dux, Jocelyn Lane, Michele Mercier, Uta Taeger, and Diahann Carroll. The performances are good, but this isn't my sort of film, and I was checking my watch more than once, figuratively speaking. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

goodbyeagain.jpg?w=660

Romantic drama with Ingrid Bergman as an interior designer in Paris. She's been a longtime lover of businessman Yves Montand. Bergman meets young man Anthony Perkins while on one of her jobs, and Anthony immediately falls for her. Bergman wants to remain faithful to Montand, only the feeling is not reciprocated as he takes on a string of lovers. This drives Ingrid into Anthony's arms, but the age difference may doom their chances at happiness. With Jesse Royce Landis, Peter Bull, Pierre Dux, Jocelyn Lane, Michele Mercier, Uta Taeger, and Diahann Carroll. The performances are good, but this isn't my sort of film, and I was checking my watch more than once, figuratively speaking. 

Superb romantic film that is based on a novel by Francoise Sagan and is directed stunningly by Anatole Litvak.

The performances by the three principals are all excellent.

But you do feel that the age-inappropriate romance between Bergman and Perkins is doomed.

The ending, in which Bergman is stranded in front of her mirror, is absolutely right. 

The name of the novel is "Aimez-vous Brahms?"

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

goodbyeagain.jpg?w=660

except for his brilliant casting as Norman Bates on the original PSYCHO, I can't handle him myself  (TRIVIA FOR ANYBODY & DON'T LOOK IT UP, IT'S GOTTA COME STRAIGHT FROM YIOUR NOGGIN' WHAT WAS HIS ONE & ONLY SHOT AT AN OSCAR?)

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Explosive Generation (1961)  -  6/10

220px-The_Explosive_Generation_(film_pos

B-movie drama featuring William Shatner as a new high school teacher who dares to discuss the subject of sex education, causing an upheaval throughout the community. With Lee Kinsolving, Patty McCormack, Virginia Field, Stephen Dunne, Phillip Terry, Arch Johnson, Edward Platt, Suzi Carnell, Jan Norris, Billy Gray, Vito Scotti, Jocelyn Brando, and Beau Bridges. This was racy stuff for the time, although it's nothing that you couldn't play unedited on network TV now. There's a lot of "frank talk" with the kids, including some boys questioning military service, an early tremblor of the anti-war earthquake later in the decade. 

MV5BNjdhZmNhOWQtZDkyMi00MDYzLWJlMTQtZjg0

Pretty good shot of him!  People are stunned when I tell them Shatner (Capt. Kirk) is 88!

Encounter with the Unknown (1972)  -  4/10

220px-Encounter_with_the_Unknown_FilmPos

Very low-budget, PG-rated supernatural anthology film with narration by Rod Serling. The trio of tales, loosely connected by some blather about people who encounter supernatural phenomena often ending up buried in the same cemetery, includes one about three college students who are cursed by a grieving woman, a small town faced with some sort of...thing at the bottom of a sink hole, and a ghostly figure that is frequently spotted on a bridge. The cast includes Gary Brockette, John Leslie, Tom Haywood, Fran Franklin, Robert Ginnaven, John Cissne, Rosie Holotik, and Bill Thurman. This was shot in Arkansas by locals, and it's anyone's guess how they wrangled Serling for the badly-written voiceover work. All three tales are overlong, as they could have told the same stories in 10 minutes or less.

• Thanks 1

Psychic Killer (1975)  -  6/10

A70-5657

Clunky but amusing horror tale with darkly comic touches. Jim Hutton is a former mental patient who uses his newfound psychic projection powers to seek ghastly revenge against those that he feels wronged him and his dead mother. Cop Paul Burke and psychiatrist Julie Adams try to stop him. The great B-movie cast includes Aldo Ray, Nehemiah Persoff, Stack Pierce, Rod Cameron, Whit Bissell, Judy Brown, Mary Wilcox, Della Reese, and Neville Brand. The film's tone lurches around from serious horror-thriller to silly grand guignol send-up, but the top-notch cast helps keep it mostly afloat. Directed by Ray Danton. This was the last theatrical feature for both Hutton and Burke.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Think I caught it very late yrs ago on cable

UOne of the netwirks had THE BIG LEBOW#SKI (l998) ($17m.() on again yesterday  Not a big hit when released, obviously has a massive cult following &  I'm sure many have seen that beer commercial with Jeff Bridges as "THE DUDE" & Sarah Jessica Parker  It was vioted by fans online as #1 best SB commercial by the way

He had to stop working out-(now 70) to portray "THE DUDE" to look like he was out of shape  Did the same for a terrific semi Western crime-drama for which he snagged his 7th nomination-(damn it 4 get it's name right now, tired) & also quit working out for his only Oscar winning role td 2009's CRAZY HEART.

Knew a taxi driver who got to live his dream, his favorite movie is BIG LEBOWSKI, FAVORITE ACTOR J. BRIDGES & HE VENTURED OUT TO HOLLYWOOD & TO BE SPECIFIC VENICE BEACH=-(I got to stay there 5hrs when they leave you off at a specific place during a tour)  WHERE IT WAS SHOT MOSTLY. THIS GUY GOT TO MEET JEFF, BUT GOT HIS AUTOGRAPH & PICTURES TAKEN WITH THE GUY!

COOL STORY HUH

• Like 3

DESTROYER (2018) *Score: Bad*

Starring: Nicole Kidman, Sebastian Stan, Tatiana Maslany, Bradley Whitford, Toby Kebbell, Scoot McNairy, Toby Huss, James Jordan.

Kidman stars as a washed-up cop who, due to a tragic accident during an undercover assignment, is now on the hunt for vengeance. I wish I could say this was a good movie, but it was not. I didn't even know Kidman's character's name until about halfway through the movie. Her character was so bland, but it seemed like they were trying to make her so hardboiled in a lousy attempt to trick the audience into thinking she was a character of substance. There is some drama between her and her 16 year old wayward daughter; they never address what the cause of their problems is, so I guess it's up to the viewer to decide just what went wrong? They probably figured that another in their long, seemingly unending line of flashbacks would be overkill, but honestly, that ship had already sailed and sunk by the halfway point of the film. Between Kidman's very obviously bad wig, and the fact that she was on Level 10 (drama-wise) and everyone else was on Level 5/6, it was difficult to get through it. I kept hoping it would get better, but it did not. I don't want to say it was satisfying watching Kidman's character get kicked in the ribs a couple times, but it certainly re-captured my attention. At least something was happening. 

Image result for destroyer 2018 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

goodbyeagain.jpg?w=660

The performances are good, but this isn't my sort of film, and I was checking my watch more than once, figuratively speaking. 

And I was very moved by this film! I read all sorts of conflicted emotions in the quiet "Queen Christina" closing shot of Ingrid Bergman. The stellar performances elevated what could have been a silly or stereotypical story. 

I love Anthony Perkins' acting and welcome ANY good role that showcases his talent for all the unimaginative who only care about his Bates character.

I tried watching Shallow Grave but was turned off by the charactors in the beginning. Time to give it another try.

• Like 1