Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Fool Killer aka Violent Journey (1965)  -  8/10

MV5BYWIyZjMxZTMtOGEzOS00YTk0LThmZjQtZjMy

Very strange and unique rural period-piece drama about 12-year-old George (Edward Albert in his debut), a farmboy in the post-Civil War south who runs away from home. He encounters an assortment of characters, including a filthy old man known as Dirty (Henry Hull), a pious childless couple (Salome Jens and Dana Elcar), and "Milo" (Anthony Perkins), a scarred war veteran who has adopted a dead man's identity and who has a murderous streak. George thinks Milo may be the "Fool Killer", a sort of boogeyman that he was told about by Dirty. Also with Arnold Moss, Yvonne Gilbert, Charlotte Jones, Sindee Ann Richards, and Lana Wood. This was a Mexican/US co-production shot in Tennessee by director Servando Gonzalez. It has great dialogue, terrific eccentric performances by Perkins and Hull, and atmospheric cinematography. This is prime cult movie material, and it should be better known. Recommended.

Source: internet

p36619_i_h12_aa.jpg?d=270x360&q=50

3882276614_fc8fc9fe27_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleopatra (1963) long bloated epic.

For interesting entertaining stories about Rome I still prefer BBC's "I, Claudius" and HBO's "Rome." Watch chronologically (historical-wise), the latter first then "I, Claudius."

• Like 1
17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Bus Riley's Back in Town (1965)  -  6/10

220px-Bus-rileys-back-in-town-movie-post

Heh, looks like Ann only changed her top after being photographed for this gem:

kittenwhip.jpg

(this poster hangs on my living room wall)

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

MV5BYWIyZjMxZTMtOGEzOS00YTk0LThmZjQtZjMy

Very strange and unique rural period-piece drama about 12-year-old George (Edward Albert in his debut), a farmboy in the post-Civil War south who runs away from home. He encounters an assortment of characters, including a filthy old man known as Dirty (Henry Hull), a pious childless couple (Salome Jens and Dana Elcar), and "Milo" (Anthony Perkins), a scarred war veteran who has adopted a dead man's identity and who has a murderous streak. George thinks Milo may be the "Fool Killer", a sort of boogeyman that he was told about by Dirty. Also with Arnold Moss, Yvonne Gilbert, Charlotte Jones, Sindee Ann Richards, and Lana Wood. This was a Mexican/US co-production shot in Tennessee by director Servando Gonzalez. It has great dialogue, terrific eccentric performances by Perkins and Hull, and atmospheric cinematography. This is prime cult movie material, and it should be better known. Recommended.

3882276614_fc8fc9fe27_o.jpg

It's one of Anthony Perkins' best film roles.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Do Not Disturb (1965)  -  6/10

220px-Do_Not_Disturb_1965_poster.jpg

Comedy with Doris Day and Rod Taylor as an American couple who move to England for his work. Before they can really settle in, they both become mistakenly convinced that the other is having an affair. Also featuring Hermione Baddeley, Sergio Fantoni, Maura McGiveney, Leon Askin, Britt Ekland, and Reginald Gardiner in his final film. This was definitely a rung or three down the ladder from the Day/Hudson films, but I still found some of it cute. Day reportedly considered this one of her worst. 

Source: Amazon video

I haven't seen this one in years, but it's definitely not in her top tier. There are some funny bits, but not many. (I still remember the dance scene where Doris starts a dance trend). LOL. She did wear some nice outfits.

Poor Devil (1973)

Poor Devil (1973) 6/10

A TV movie with Sammy Davis Jr as the Devil's bumbling assistant. I remember this when first broadcast, I enjoyed it again on Youtube, mostly for nostalgic reasons. Someone who goes in without ever seeing in 1973 is bound to be disappointed. 

Jack Klugman is the target for selling his soul, he plays a junior accountant at a San Francisco department store who is bitter over being passed over for a promotion. Christopher Lee is Mr Lucifer and Adam West plays Klugman's smarmy boss. In my favorite scene, Sammy tries to get advice from some criminals currently in Hell. They include Al Capone, the Younger gang, Blackbeard the pirate and Bonnie And Clyde. Bonnie doesn't have any advice, but she has written a poem!

• Like 2

Forty Acre Feud (1965)  -  5/10

40acrefeud.jpg

Low-budget country musical comedy. The town of Shagbottom has to elect their first state representative, and it's going to be someone from either the Calhouns or the Culpeppers, who have been feuding for decades. They also attend country music concerts to campaign. Starring Del Reeves, Jan Moore, Minnie Pearl, Bob Corley, Claude Casey, and Sam Tarpley. With George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Skeeter Davis, Bill Anderson, Eddie Hill, Roy Drusky, Hugh X. Lewis, Ray Price, and the Willis Brothers as themselves. Ferlin Husky appears both as himself, and as his comical dim-bulb character Simon Crumb. This color 16mm movie is pretty silly and dumb, but I would guess that there's a great appeal for country music fans. Each performer does at least two songs. Davis does her crossover hit "End of the World". From Ron Ormond, the director of Mesa of Lost Women

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Heh, looks like Ann only changed her top after being photographed for this gem:

kittenwhip.jpg

(this poster hangs on my living room wall)

Kitten with a Whip is a movie I would like to see again.  Think I saw it on TCM years and years ago.  Entertaining, but not sure I would want to purchase it.  Peter Brown plays the deputy on Lawman which is broadcast on Starz Western channel daily.

I just watched The Grass is Greener (1960) with Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons.  Looked it up on ImDB and has a 6.6 rating.  Personally I think it is better than that.  

Actually should say re-watched as we purchased the DVD years ago and watch it every couple of years.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Well I'll be darned. You just solved an old mystery for me. I knew I had seen this photo somewhere, and just now realized where I'd seen it. For some reason, as a kid, I thought this might be from Psycho, until I realized Perkins never used an axe.

Here is where I first saw that picture. This was our local NYC channel. Go to the 16 second mark:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Kitten with a Whip is a movie I would like to see again.  Think I saw it on TCM years and years ago.  Entertaining, but not sure I would want to purchase it.  Peter Brown plays the deputy on Lawman which is broadcast on Starz Western channel daily.

I would like to see the movie version not the cleaned up tv version. I remember they showed it on MST 3000 years ago. There was remark Ann made about kitten needing to use the "sandbox" that was cut.....I never saw the movie in a theater, but someone told me the line was in there. LOL.

Genghis Khan (1965)  -  5/10

220px-Genghis_Khan_(1965_film)_poster.jp

Epic action about Temujin (Omar Sharif) who, after growing up enslaved by the brutal Jamuga (Stephen Boyd), later escapes and unites the Mongolian tribes into one of the greatest armies ever known, conquering the Eastern world and earning the name "Genghis Khan". Also featuring Francoise Dorleac, James Mason, Robert Morley, Michael Hordern, Telly Savalas, Eli Wallach, Yvonne Mitchell, and Woody Strode. As you may have guessed looking at that cast, this is pretty silly, and bears little resemblance to the historical Temujin. I mean, they cast Robert Morley as the Emperor of China!!! James Mason plays a Chinese courtier, and it's a performance that ranks slightly below Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's for cringeworthiness. Yugoslavia stands in for East Asia. 

Source: Mill Creek DVD

701620_061.jpg

17 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Genghis Khan (1965)  -  5/10

220px-Genghis_Khan_(1965_film)_poster.jp

Epic action about Temujin (Omar Sharif) who, after growing up enslaved by the brutal Jamuga (Stephen Boyd), later escapes and unites the Mongolian tribes into one of the greatest armies ever known, conquering the Eastern world and earning the name "Genghis Khan". Also featuring Francoise Dorleac, James Mason, Robert Morley, Michael Hordern, Telly Savalas, Eli Wallach, Yvonne Mitchell, and Woody Strode. As you may have guessed looking at that cast, this is pretty silly, and bears little resemblance to the historical Temujin. I mean, they cast Robert Morley as the Emperor of China!!! James Mason plays a Chinese courtier, and it's a performance that ranks slightly below Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's for cringeworthiness. Yugoslavia stands in for East Asia. 

Source: Mill Creek DVD

701620_061.jpg

This reminds me of what George Takei said about Alec Guinness in the movie, "A Majority of One".

George was in the movie and he said  Alec Guinness' portrayal of a Japanese man was disgusting to him personally, as well as being bad.

Rosalind Russell stars with Guinness in this movie and I haven't seen it.

I wonder if anybody has seen this movie?

40 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This reminds me of what George Takei said about Alec Guinness in the movie, "A Majority of One".

George was in the movie and he said  Alec Guinness' portrayal of a Japanese man was disgusting to him personally, as well as being bad.

Rosalind Russell stars with Guinness in this movie and I haven't seen it.

I wonder if anybody has seen this movie?

I have. And it's a picture of its time. Not a very good one, either.

Genghis Khan or Majority of One? Majority of One airs on TCM from time to time, but I've never watched it. I do remember seeing Genghis as a kid, but don't remember much about it.

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I have. And it's a picture of its time. Not a very good one, either.

Sorry Lawrence, I disagree. I liked Majority of One and thought it was a touching, sweet film. I do agree with you and think it was astute of you to say it's a picture of it's time.

Around here I'm probably in a Minority of One liking this film LOL

edited by me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Girls on the Beach (1965)  -  5/10

220px-The_Girls_on_the_Beach_poster.jpg

Comedy fluff about a group of sorority sisters who try to figure out ways to save their financially-strapped sorority house from foreclosure. They enter various contests and organize a big party/concert where the Beatles are supposed to headline. They also spend plenty of time at the beach being chased by boys. Starring Noreen Corcoran, Linda Marshall, Ahna Capri, Lana Wood, Nancy Spry, Mary Mitchel, Gail Gilmore, Lori Saunders, Sheila Bromley, Martin West, Aron Kincaid, Steven Rogers, Peter Brooks, Bruno VeSota, Leo Gordon, and Dick Miller. The Crickets, Lesley Gore, and The Beach Boys all make appearances and perform a few songs apiece. There's a lot of eye candy on display, and some of the songs are good, but the story is as threadbare as it sounds, and the dialogue isn't any better.

Source: TCM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The Boy With Green Hair" - Joseph Losey - 1948 -

starring Pat O'Brien and Dean Stockwell -

Despite its' great simplicity and even greater charm, it is one of the greatest anti-war films that has ever been made.

obrien-and-stockwell.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

The Girls on the Beach (1965)  -  5/10

220px-The_Girls_on_the_Beach_poster.jpg

Comedy fluff about a group of sorority sisters who try to figure out ways to save their financially-strapped sorority house from foreclosure. They enter various contests and organize a big party/concert where the Beatles are supposed to headline. They also spend plenty of time at the beach being chased by boys. Starring Noreen Corcoran, Linda Marshall, Ahna Capri, Lana Wood, Nancy Spry, Mary Mitchel, Gail Gilmore, Lori Saunders, Sheila Bromley, Martin West, Aron Kincaid, Steven Rogers, Peter Brooks, Bruno VeSota, Leo Gordon, and Dick Miller. The Crickets, Lesley Gore, and The Beach Boys all make appearances and perform a few songs apiece. There's a lot of eye candy on display, and some of the songs are good, but the story is as threadbare as it sounds, and the dialogue isn't any better.

Source: TCM

Brian Wilson and Mike Love wrote this beautiful theme song, " The Girls on the Beach ", which The Beach Boys sing in this movie.

The song was first introduced on their legendary 1964 LP "All Summer Long".

"The Girls on the Beach" is a unique Beach Boys song because it has a breathtaking, but unfortunately brief, solo by drummer Dennis Wilson.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rayban said:

"The Boy With Green Hair" - Joseph Losey - 1948 -

starring Pat O'Brien and Dean Stockwell -

Despite its' great simplicity and even greater charm, it is one of the greatest anti-war films that has ever been made.

I'm glad to hear that it's good.  I've seen this movie on the schedule multiple times and haven't recorded it because I wasn't sure what to think of it.  I feel like they could have chosen a better title, but maybe I need to see the film first before I judge the title.  I recorded it this time around because I'm on a bit of a Robert Ryan kick. 

I'm also on a bit of an Edmond O'Brien kick.  I feel like maybe I need to give Barefoot Contessa another chance.  I always fall asleep.  Like Mogambo, I feel like I should like it, because I like everyone else in it, but there's just something about it that doesn't grab me. 

• Like 1

The Glory Guys (1965)  -  5/10

220px-Glorguypos.jpg

Half-baked Cavalry western, from an old Sam Peckinpah script and directed by Arnold Laven. A motley assortment of US Cavalry recruits are part of a massive effort to push all hostile natives onto reservations. The hostiles are, well...hostile. Featuring Tom Tryon and Harve Presnell as an officer and a scout, respectively, who are rivals for the same gal (Senta Berger). Also featuring Andrew Duggan, James Caan, Slim Pickens, Jeanne Cooper, Peter Breck, Michael Anderson Jr., Michael Forest, Paul Birch, Claudio Brook, and Wayne Rogers. This started out as a re-telling of the Custer story, but when Fox announced a more expensive rival Custer movie, they re-wrote the script to this one to make it fictional. The whole thing seems like a patchwork of western and cavalry movie cliches. The only redeeming quality is the large scale. It was shot in Mexico and used thousands of extras, which make the big battle scenes a little more impressive. Tryon and Presnell sport some anachronistic hairstyles, while Caan uses a terrible Irish accent.

Source: MGM HD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hercules the Avenger (1965)  -  4/10

220px-Hercules_the_Avenger.jpg

Fifth and final Italian peplum adventure starring British bodybuilding champ Reg Park. Hercules (Reg Park) searches for his missing son, while the Queen of Syracuse (Gia Sandri) and her ally Anteo (Giovanni Cianfriglia) smear Herc's good name by having Anteo pose as the demigod. Also featuring Adriana Ambesi, Gianni Solaro, Luigi Barbini, and Franco Ressel. I was looking forward to this one, but was disappointed to find out that a majority of the footage is lifted from the earlier Park films Hercules in the Haunted World and Hercules and the Captive Women. As such, this can only be of interest to the most die-hard muscleman move fans.

Source: YouTube

_012.jpg

• Thanks 1

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN (2016) *Score: 6.5/10* 

Starring: Emily Blunt, Rebecca Ferguson, Haley Bennett, Justin Theroux, Luke Evans, Allison Janney, Lisa Kudrow, Laura Prepon. 

A mystery/thriller that centers around Rachel, a recently divorced woman who finds herself obsessed with a seemingly perfect couple that she sees every morning on her train ride into the city. After tragedy strikes, Rachel is caught in the middle of a police investigation and friction surrounding her ex husband and his new wife. I was captivated until I figured out the mystery about halfway through (that's what I get for reading all of Agatha Christie's books multiple times, I guess). I was (and always am) impressed with Emily Blunt. This is only the second thing I've seen both Rebecca Ferguson and Haley Bennett in, but I thought they did great as well. To refresh any of your memories, Ferguson was the Swedish opera singer in The Greatest Showman, and Bennett was the female lead in the somewhat recent remake of "The Magnificent Seven." 

Image result for the girl on the train 2016

Related image

Related image

• Like 1