Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

dylan-doc-700x415.png

As I am of the opinion that Bob Dylan is one of America's greatest talents and assets I had to rush out an see the new Martin Scorsese film Rolling Thunder: A Bob Dylan Story (2019).

On first viewing I thought it took a while to get going and did not feel that cohesive at the start.  There may be good reason behind that.  We see this Dylan tour from just about everyone's perspective and the overriding theme was that the disarrayed financial train wreck was not something anyone wished to miss.  

The filmed concert sequences are similar cuts to those in my favourite Dylan album, Bootleg #5.

71z55oEp8TL._SL1200_.jpg

Perhaps the greatest achievement of this documentary is the remastering of the songs that were captured on film over 40 years ago.  Lead re-recording mixer Tom Fleischman, mixer Gary Bourgeois a Canadian who's work with Dylan goes back to the concerts and Renaldo and Clara (1978) and Jon Polito who did the sound restoration deserve a lot of that credit.

Apart from seeing Dylan's performance the highlight of this film for me may have been seeing Joni Mitchell jamming Coyote with Dylan and Roger McGuinn at an intimate house party thrown by Gordon Lightfoot in Toronto.

Rolling Thunder is a good companion piece to Scorsese's The Last Waltz (1978).  I definitely would like to see it again some time.

large_revue-postre.jpg

• Thanks 2

I gave TIGER SHARK (1932) a bad review in the HITS AND MISSES thread, and I rewatched it last night and I feel guilty, because it was not anywhere near as bad as I recall, although it's certainly not the best of either Hawks or EDWARD G ROBINSON and nothing could be as cool as the poster:

e6_d__0_TigerShark.jpg

I was especially wrong to knock the blending of the actual sea footage with the soundstage shots, it was not anywhere near as clunky as I recall and was actually pretty involving (it really tells you ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW about COMMERCIAL FISHING in 1932, but y'know what? I watched.)

There are elements of THE SEA WOLF and CAPTAIN'S COURAGEOUS present as well, in fact, I imagine Tracy had them screen this before he starred as an improbable Portuguese sailor in his own right.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

dylan-doc-700x415.png

As I am of the opinion that Bob Dylan is one of America's greatest talents and assets I had to rush out an see the new Martin Scorsese film Rolling Thunder: A Bob Dylan Story (2019).

On first viewing I thought it took a while to get going and did not feel that cohesive at the start.  There may be good reason behind that.  We see this Dylan tour from just about everyone's perspective and the overriding theme was that the disarrayed financial train wreck was not something anyone wished to miss.  

The filmed concert sequences are similar cuts to those in my favourite Dylan album, Bootleg #5.

Perhaps the greatest achievement of this documentary is the remastering of the songs that were captured on film over 40 years ago.  Lead re-recording mixer Tom Fleischman, mixer Gary Bourgeois a Canadian who's work with Dylan goes back to the concerts and Renaldo and Clara (1978) and Jon Polito who did the sound restoration deserve a lot of that credit.

Apart from seeing Dylan's performance the highlight of this film for me may have been seeing Joni Mitchell jamming Coyote with Dylan and Roger McGuinn at an intimate house party thrown by Gordon Lightfoot in Toronto.

Rolling Thunder is a good companion piece to Scorsese's The Last Waltz (1978).  I definitely would like to see it again some time.

What did you think of the "prank" aspect of the film? I've seen much discussion online this week about it.

The bit with Sharon Stone being a temp girlfriend was made up, and the photo shown was a fake. The director of the old footage was fictional, and played by Bette Midler's husband. But the most obvious tip that there was chicanery afoot was the interview with politician Jack Tanner, who is actually actor Michael Murphy reprising his role from Robert Altman's 

Tanner '88 and Tanner on Tanner.

Mister Moses (1965)  -  6/10

MV5BZDE3OWExOTMtY2QwZi00MTJjLWI5ZGMtNzkx

Adventure tale with Robert Mitchum as a con-man who, after being thrown out of the last African town he was in, washes up on shore near a village that is scheduled to be evacuated. A western company has built a hydro-electric dam nearby, and the village plus the surrounding valley will soon be flooded. Missionaries Carroll Baker and Alexander Knox enlist the aid of smooth talker Mitchum to convince the local to leave. Also featuring Ian Bannen and Raymond St. Jacques. This isn't quite as condescending as many Africa-set films of the time, and there's some clever, subtle religious commentary. There's also the unusual sight of Mitchum riding an elephant.

Source: internet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

What did you think of the "prank" aspect of the film? I've seen much discussion online this week about it.

Reveal hidden contents

The bit with Sharon Stone being a temp girlfriend was made up, and the photo shown was a fake. The director of the old footage was fictional, and played by Bette Midler's husband. But the most obvious tip that there was chicanery afoot was the interview with politician Jack Tanner, who is actually actor Michael Murphy reprising his role from Robert Altman's 

Tanner '88 and Tanner on Tanner.

That left me scratching my head.  I would have liked to have been clued in as to what they were trying to achieve.  Substituting actors when people were no longer available?  

When Michael Murphy first appeared and they put Jack Tanner's name across the screen I was forever thinking boy this guy looks a lot like Michael Murphy.  : )

I think perhaps there should have been some reveal of this "prank."  I didn't know that Bette Midler's husband was playing the filmmaker until I saw it on the imdb which I admit puzzled me.

• Like 1

The Moment of Truth (1965)  -  5/10

3778a.jpg

Italian bullfighting drama from director Francesco Rosi. Real-life bullfighting star Miguel Mateo "Miguelin" stars as Miguel Romero "Miguelin", a Spanish farm boy who comes to the big city to look for work. When nothing is forthcoming, he decides for the quick but dangerous riches of the bullfighting ring, becoming a star in the process. Also featuring Jose Gomez Sevillano, and Linda Christian as "Linda". I despise bullfighting, and this film is the best example of why. Real bullfights are filmed, and many bulls are tortured, shown bleeding and suffering, all for the amusement of the thousands of fans. I have a feeling that the director at least partially shared my disgust at this "sport".

Source: The Criterion Channel

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Mister Moses (1965)  -  6/10

MV5BZDE3OWExOTMtY2QwZi00MTJjLWI5ZGMtNzkx

Adventure tale with Robert Mitchum as a con-man who, after being thrown out of the last African town he was in, washes up on shore near a village that is scheduled to be evacuated. A western company has built a hydro-electric dam nearby, and the village plus the surrounding valley will soon be flooded. Missionaries Carroll Baker and Alexander Knox enlist the aid of smooth talker Mitchum to convince the local to leave. Also featuring Ian Bannen and Raymond St. Jacques. This isn't quite as condescending as many Africa-set films of the time, and there's some clever, subtle religious commentary. There's also the unusual sight of Mitchum riding an elephant.

Source: internet

Haven't seen this one since it was shown on NBC Saturday Night at the Movies. I do remember liking Raymond St. Jacques as a "hip" native.

Motorpsycho! (1965)  -  6/10

Motorpsycho_1965.jpg

Over-the-top thriller from director Russ Meyer. A trio of "filthy bikers" terrorize a small California desert town. After they assault his wife, veterinarian Cory Maddox (Alex Rocco in his movie debut) goes looking for vengeance. he finds an ally in "Cajun witch" Ruby (Haji), who was also attacked by the miscreants. Featuring Steve Oliver as the Nam-vet leader of the bikers, Joseph Cellini, Timothy Scott, Sharon Lee, Steve Masters, Arshalouis Aivazian, Coleman Francis, and Russ Meyer as the sheriff. This one starts out strong, with outrageous dialogue and hysterical performances, but it has a very weak last act that lets all the air out. It's a Russ Meyer movie, so the women are all gorgeous and lasciviously photographed. Anyone who has "enjoyed" The Beast of Yucca Flats and/or Red Zone Cuba will get a vicarious joy out of watching the bikers beat up Coleman Francis, the director of those films here playing the much older husband of Haji's character. This was originally released on a double bill with Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! Those were the days.

Source: YouTube

280full.jpg

motorpsycho-2.jpg

motorpsycho-1.jpg

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Orson Welles similarly shot most of "F for Fake" as a "prank-umentary" to Artistically illustrate his point, and all it left me thinking was, "Oh, thank you...So WTH did I just WATCH for two hours??  😡 "

Not a prank, but Hitchcock took hell from the critics for doing something similar in "Stage Fright", when [I'll repost it when someone reminds me how to do Spoilers on the new format] thus pretty much meaning the entire story was on an entirely MUC basis from the very beginning.

Like Joaquin Phoenix's "I'm Not Here" prank-umentary, you don't do that intentionally unless you're Trolling, and...Trolling is SO 90's.  Now we have Moderators to plonk them off the face of the earth.

Pearls of the Deep (1965)  -  6/10

pearls+of+the+deep+poster.JPG

Anthology film from the Czech New Wave, with five stories directed by leading filmmakers of the movement. In "The Death of Mr. Balthazar" from Jiri Menzel (Closely Watched Trains), people gather by a roadside to watch a motorcycle race and reminisce on races of the past. In "The Impostors" from Jan Nemec (Diamonds of the Night), two old men in a hospital regale each other with tales of their youth. In "The House of Joy" from Evald Schorm (End of a Priest), two insurance salesmen try to get a strange goat herder to buy a policy. In "At the World Cafeteria" from Vera Chytilova (Daisies), a wedding reception is held at a diner. And in "Romance" from Jaromil Jires (The Cry), a boy falls in love with a gypsy girl. I wasn't very enthralled by any of these tales. "The House of Joy", which was the only one shot in color, is the most bizarre and probably the most memorable.

Pearls-of-the-Deep-750x400.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"La Pointe Courte" - Agnes Varda - 1956 -

Yes, this film is highly regarded today -

but I didn't really care for it -

there are two storylines -

in one, the daily life of a poor fishing village is explored -

in another, a young couple roam through the village and think about their deteriorating relationship -

for me, the two storylines do not intersect -

the couple seem like refugees from a Marguarite Duras novel -

an ambitious project that simply does not work -

gBHSrOUr3sYzywy9wC8ZEx5DYV3Mnw.png

• Like 1

Pleasures of the Flesh (1965)  -  7/10

Etsuraku-19655-e1548501181202.png

Japanese drama from director Nagisa Oshima. Atsushi (Katsuo Nakamura) is a schoolteacher who falls in love with Shoko (Mariko Kaga), a high school student that he's tutoring. His love is so intense that he commits a murder to protect her family's good name. However, when Atsushi is blackmailed by an embezzler who witnessed the murder, the teacher begins a spiral even further into moral darkness. Director Oshima (In the Realm of the Senses) deals with sexual obsession more than a decade before his later masterwork, and while this isn't anywhere near as graphic, it's still harrowing at times. Fans of noir-ish tales of self-destruction who don't mind subtitles should like it.

• Thanks 1

The Secret Agents aka The Dirty Game (1965)  -  5/10

MV5BOTNlZGYzZWYtMWRmYi00NmU2LWI2YTctY2Uy

Anthology spy thriller from directors Christian-Jaque, Werner Klingler, Carlo Lizzani, and Terence Young. American military intelligence chief Robert Ryan introduces and narrates three international tales of intrigue. In the first, an Italian scientist (Vittorio Gassman) is targeted by Iron Curtain agents. In the second story, French naval forces face off with an enemy submarine off the coast of Africa. And in the third, a Soviet general (Henry Fonda) tries to defect. Also featuring Annie Girardot, Peter van Eyck, Bourvil, Maria Grazia Buccella, Robert Hossein, Georges Marchal, and Mario Adorf. The version I watched was the AIP US release, running under 90 minutes, The original ran for over two hours, and may have made more sense. What I watched was pretty awful, though, with grating music and bad dubbing. 

Source: Amazon video

• Thanks 1

Sergeant Dead Head (1965)  -  3/10

deadhead-1.jpg

AIP took time off from making silly beach movies to make this stupid military comedy. Sgt. Deadhead (Frankie Avalon) is a dimwit Army soldier stationed at an Air Force base conducting top secret space-rocket missions. When he accidentally gets stuck in the space capsule with the intended chimpanzee astronaut, the military superiors scramble to create a cover story, eventually settling on using physical double Sgt. Donovan (also Avalon) to stand in for Deadhead. Also featuring Deborah Walley, Eve Arden, Fred Clark, Cesar Romero, Gale Gordon, Reginald Gardiner, Harvey Lembeck, John Ashley, Pat Buttram, Donna Loren, Norman Grabowski, Bobbi Shaw, Dwayne Hickman, and Buster Keaton. This is as dumb as it sounds, with bad jokes and terrible dialogue. If I had seen this in a theater, I would have climbed into the projection booth and done my best to destroy the print, saving countless others from the same fate as I.

Source: the bowels of Hell

• Haha 5
8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

When he accidentally gets stuck in the space capsule with the intended chimpanzee astronaut, the military superiors scramble to create a cover story, eventually settling on using physical double Sgt. Donovan (also Avalon) to stand in for Deadhead.

No sillier than making him the bishop for outer space.

23 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I cannot believe The Rolling Thunder Revue was 1975...I was only 15? I'm not a Dylan fan but was there mostly to see Joni Mitchell & Ramblin' Jack Elliott who were both great. 

Many professional musicians I know think the world of Dylan, so I keep an open mind. Maybe seeing this movie will help change my opinion of Dylan as poseur.

As a long time Dylan "freak" (since my step sister brought home his debut LP in '62) I'll be looking forward to (hopefully) seeing that movie.  I'm STILL not in possession of Scorsese's  Dylan documentary "No Direction Home". 

While many make fun or light of Dylan's singing voice( as it is), his power was not in any "prettiness" he could muster vocally, but his raw and honest delivery.  And his uncanny knack for lyrically creating vivid mental images and deft command of profundity in exposing the obvious of the flaws and perfections of the world around him.  Which too, IMHO is also Joni's strength as a songwriter.  Just listen(or read) the lyrics to both Joni's "Hejira"  and Dylan's "It's Alright Ma(I'm Only Bleeding)" and you'll easily see what I mean.    Some years back a buddy of mine described Joni's songwriting as--- "Bob Dylan in DRAG!"  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shakespeare-Wallah (1965)  -  7/10

Shakespeare-Wallah-630x330-2_lg.jpg

British/Indian drama from the Merchant Ivory team - writer Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, producer Ismail Merchant, and writer-director James Ivory. A British traveling Shakespeare company roams India, trying to get enough to work to pay for their return voyage to the UK.

Got around to watching Angel, Angel Down We Go over the wknd. I recorded earlier in the week. The less said the better. POOR JENNIFER JONES. Forced to spout such demeaning dialogue. Don't know what possessed her to appear in this. You can tell her heart isn't in it from her line readings. She just doesn't have a tasteless gene in her.

ZERO STARS.

Did Jordan Christopher ever appear in another film? HOPE NOT!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Did Jordan Christopher ever appear in another film? HOPE NOT!

I think he did but he changed his name to Christopher Jordan to escape detection. He was clever that way.

:lol:

sorry ... truely

• Sad 1

Situation Hopeless -- But Not Serious (1965)  -  5/10

220px-Situation_Hopeless_But_Not_Serious

Unfunny WWII comedy with Alec Guinness as a lonely German who hides two American G.I.s (Mike Connors and Robert Redford) in the basement of his large house. When the war ends, he doesn't want to be lonely again, so he keeps the two men captive, refusing to let on that the conflict above is over. Also with Anita Hofer, Mady Rahl, Paul Dahlke, and Frank Wolff. I didn't crack a smile once during the whole thing. But as we've learned, that's not saying much. Personally, I'd have to rank this among the worst things Guinness or Redford ever made. But not Connors.

70c19a75ef4cbe7747cdeb71a972f5cc.jpg