Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I feel like Glinda is the real villain of the story.

Ooo-Nice take on that speedy. I always hated her "those shoes will take you home in 2 seconds" line too. Then Dorothy sweetly asked why Glinda didn't say so in the first place. Her answer? Grade two answer: "because you wouldn't have believed me" Oy. Sorry. Only cynics/liars don't believe others.

18 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

wondering again why Judy Holliday didn't make more movies

A tragedy. She died a short three years after making BELLS ARE RINGING. Her presence elevates every film she's in.

8 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I love Streisand, so this was nice to hear.

Me too, I'm so glad. The mention prompted me to search videos of Babs on early TV shows.  I've only seen that level of electric talent in one other person- Judy Garland. (others have "it" to a lesser degree) I'm sorry Streisand went through an unpopular and/or overexposed period (the afro years) but she's entertained us a l o n g time. A huge commitment over a lifetime. 

And please, all of you who enjoy dance in movies, check out the video I posted in Films & Filmmakers of Mary Poppins Step In Time dance number:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/259652-great-mary-poppins-dance-sequence/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Ooo-Nice take on that speedy. I always hated her "those shoes will take you home in 2 seconds" line too. Then Dorothy sweetly asked why Glinda didn't say so in the first place. Her answer? Grade two answer: "because you wouldn't have believed me" Oy. Sorry. Only cynics/liars don't believe others.

Glinda is so glib too. "You've been able to go home the whole time."  Oh really Glinda? After Dorothy's been drugged, kidnapped, emotionally tortured, had apples thrown at her, gone on a very long journey for no reason, been screamed at by a fake wizard, and you have the nerve to be so flip and say "oh you've had this ability the whole time" in her hoity toity voice. Ugh! If I was Dorothy, I would have ripped her a new one right then and there. 

Even though I have nothing against Billie Burke, every time I see her in another film aside from The Wizard of Oz, and her character is blathering on, like in Topper, e.g., I always think "ugh. Stupid Glinda. Shut up." Lol. 

The best thing about Glinda is her bubble. And I also really like her wand and crown. 

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Well, as long as we're dumping on Glinda, I'd like to re-imagine the film as going like this ...

jjKvb7D.jpg

This is not wrong. What a (rhymes with witch, pun intended). 

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Even though I have nothing against Billie Burke, every time I see her in another film aside from The Wizard of Oz, and her character is blathering on, like in Topper, e.g., I always think "ugh. Stupid Glinda. Shut up." Lol. 

In a movie full of great scenes and much bigger stars, Burke gets one of the best.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike Billie Burke.  I would agree that she's hilarious in Dinner at Eight.  I wasn't aware that there was a parody of it. 

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

What a (rhymes with witch, pun intended). 

Being hetero, and thus having no pop-kitsch grudge or unnatural preoccupation with the '39 Oz:   😛

It helps when you understand that MGM was basically turning the '39 movie into a star vehicle--The Cowardly Lion in the book doesn't talk in Bert Lahr cadences, either.  Glinda in the book was just a grandmotherly bit of deus ex machina, and, unlike most people (including the producers of Broadway musicals) believe, wasn't a twittering Burke-brain.  When Glinda in the movie says "Oh well, I'm a little muddled" after finding out that Dorothy wasn't a new witch, that was Burke's star-catchphrase from the Topper movies.

(Frank Morgan, OTOH, managed to do his star-vehicle shticks and stay completely in book character/s.  Even the two Emerald City characters that were from the Baum text.)

The True Story of Lynn Stuart (1958) Tail Fin Noir

poster.jpg

This was the final film of Lewis Seiler. At Warner's Seiler directed quite a few gangster films (his only other Noir was Over-Exposed (1956)). This film was based on the newspaper articles of Pat Michaels concerning what the police fed him as the "official" true story of the woman known as Lynn Stuart who in reality went undercover for 6 years. The film makes it look like a couple weeks. In the real story she was actually involved in mob activities including drug purchases. The screenplay was by John Kneubuhl.

Cinematography was by Filn Noir vet  Burnett Guffey (Guffey lensed My Name Is Julia Ross, Night Editor, Framed, Johnny O'Clock, In a Lonely Place, All the King's Men, The Reckless Moment, The Undercover Man, Knock on Any Door, Private Hell 36, Human Desire, The Sniper, Scandal Sheet, and Sirocco). 

The film stars Betsy Palmer (The Tin Star (1957) a mostly TV actress but she made a comeback in 1980 to films in Friday the 13th) as Phyllis Carter, also known as Lynn Stuart, Jack Lord (another mainly TV actor Hawaii Five-O)as Willie Down. Barry Atwater as Lt. Jim Hagan, Edmund G. Brown as Himself, and Gavin MacLeod as Turk, and John Anderson as Doc, among others.

The film is a decent watch with nice cinematography, Palmer and Lord are good in their parts. 6/10. Full review with more screencaps in Fim Noir/Gangster pages.

• Like 1

I was forced to see WHATEVER THE HELL THE NEW CASH GRAB FEATURING SPIDER-MAN THAT CAME OUT THIS SUMMER IS CALLED this afternoon. In the movie theater that also served food while you watched.

I’m ***trying*** to be a less negative person, So I’m going to save my review until sometime when I have consumed several hash brownies or I am enjoying the afterglow of amazing sex or Trump is impeached. 

(In other words, don’t hold your breath.)

Ps- The chicken tenders were all right

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Glinda is so glib too. "You've been able to go home the whole time."  Oh really Glinda? After Dorothy's been drugged, kidnapped, emotionally tortured, had apples thrown at her, gone on a very long journey for no reason, been screamed at by a fake wizard, and you have the nerve to be so flip and say "oh you've had this ability the whole time" in her hoity toity voice. Ugh! If I was Dorothy, I would have ripped her a new one right then and there. 

The best thing about Glinda is her bubble. And I also really like her wand and crown. 

CHRISTOPHER STRONG (1933) A Dorothy Arzner film about Katherine Hepburn who plays a female pilot who steals Colin Clive away from his wife, played by Billie Burke, is one of the first non-canon classic films that I saw on TNT when I was a little kid. Not too long ago i re-watched it and it’s amazing. I wish they had given supporting awards out in the early 30s, because Billie Burke absolutely deserved one for her portrayal of the spurned wife. It’s a role,  and a part unlike any other she ever played.

Note – I am using my phone to post and I just feel like sharing with you people that it heard every third word I said in the above paragraph completely wrong.

Ie”Billy Burke is in Christopher stronger Dorothy ours are filming what she”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
49 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was forced to see WHATEVER THE HELL THE NEW CASH GRAB FEATURING SPIDER-MAN THAT CAME OUT THIS SUMMER IS CALLED this afternoon. In the movie theater that also served food while you watched.

I’m ***trying*** to be a less negative person, So I’m going to save my review until sometime when I have consumed several hash brownies or I am enjoying the afterglow of amazing sex or Trump is impeached. 

In Portland, there are a lot of theaters that serve alcohol in the theater--even the chains like Cinemark! But I never get it because 1) I don't want to have to go to the bathroom, 2) It's way more expensive (and smaller!) than the bucket of soda, and 3) Alcohol makes me fall asleep.

I always go see the Marvel movies because my husband usually wants to see them.  I've already seen the other 5,000 films in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe, btw), so what's another one? However, I always see them exactly once and then never feel the need to see them again, like I do say The Long, Long Trailer.  Lol. The Marvel movies, while entertaining, don't have that "re-watchability" quality for me. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

CHRISTOPHER STRONG (1933) A Dorothy Arzner film about Katherine Hepburn who plays a female pilot who steals Colin Clive away from his wife, played by Billie Burke, is one of the first non-canon classic films that I saw on TNT when I was a little kid. Not too long ago i re-watched it and it’s amazing. I wish they had given supporting awards out in the early 30s, because Billie Burke absolutely deserved one for her portrayal of the spurned wife. It’s a role,  and a part unlike any other she ever played.

Note – I am using my phone to post and I just feel like sharing with you people that it heard every third word I said in the above paragraph completely wrong.

Ie”Billy Burke is in Christopher stronger Dorothy ours are filming what she”

Sounds like a haiku:

Billie Burke is in

Christopher Stronger Dorothy*

Ours are filming what... she**

*Kind of cheating here, depends if "Dorothy" is pronounced "Dor-o-thy" or "Dor-thy." 

** "She" is the random extra syllable that doesn't really fit. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Sounds like a haiku:

Billie Burke is in

Christopher Stronger Dorothy*

Ours are filming what... she**

*Kind of cheating here, depends if "Dorothy" is pronounced "Dor-o-thy" or "Dor-thy." 

** "She" is the random extra syllable that doesn't really fit. 

Oh wow! I am most definitely a poet of the “didn’t know it” variety.

• Haha 2
42 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh wow! I am most definitely a poet of the “didn’t know it” variety.

You're just a natural poet! 

Next you'll be writing limericks! Remember AABBA rhyme structure! I think there's something about syllables in there too. 

On 7/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, speedracer5 said:

I feel like Glinda is the real villain of the story.  Legally, as the next of kin, the Wicked Witch of the West was entitled to the slippers.  Glinda just stole them and gave them away.  Then at the end, she has the gall to tell Dorothy that she could have gone home the entire time--after Dorothy had already been endured being drugged and later kidnapped! 

I believe this is simply an example of sloppy writing to cover a plot hole. It has been many, many years since I have read the books but I seem to recall that it was not Glinda who supplied that information at that point. The screenwriter opted to telescope the witches of north and south into one character. This created problems and he could not be bothered to find meaningful solutions. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I believe this is simply an example of sloppy writing to cover a plot hole. It has been many, many years since I have read the books but I seem to recall that it was not Glinda who supplied that information at that point. The screenwriter opted to telescope the witches of north and south into one character. This created problems and he could not be bothered to find meaningful solutions. 

I wouldn't be surprised. Too bad MGM didn't try to film the series of books.  I think that the part with Dorothy is only a small segment of the story though. 

I have the first volume of books but haven't read them yet.  Isn't the merging of the north and south witches part of the plot of Wicked? I haven't read those books or seen the play either. 

There is no Good Witch of the South in the film... 

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

This is not wrong. What a (rhymes with witch, pun intended). 

She tells Dorothy that only bad witches are ugly, and then proceeds to ask Dorothy which one she is: good or bad. What an insult!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NickAndNora34 said:

She tells Dorothy that only bad witches are ugly, and then proceeds to ask Dorothy which one she is: good or bad. What an insult!

Ooh I missed that one.  How passive aggressive!

It reminds me of Mean Girls:

REGINA: But you're like really pretty.

CADY: Thank you.

REGINA: So you agree?

CADY: What?

REGINA: You think you're really pretty?

• Haha 1

Has anybody seen Lena Horne in the role of the good witch in "The Wiz"?

Sidney Lumet directed it. And his daughters got Lena Horne to play the part because they said she needed to do it for posterity--

his daughters were her granddaughters.

6 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

23 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Ooh I missed that one.  How passive aggressive!

It reminds me of Mean Girls:

REGINA: But you're like really pretty.

CADY: Thank you.

REGINA: So you agree?

CADY: What?

REGINA: You think you're really pretty?

Glinda is the original "mean girl."  Poor Wicked Witch of the West is someone like Janis! 

I can just see Glinda and the mysterious Good Witch of the South, sitting in the Emerald City cafeteria.  The Wicked Witch of the West sees an empty seat and tries to sit down:

GLINDA: You can't sit with us!

---

I also didn't intend to quote myself.  Me in my absurdity wanted to reply to NickandNora's "Like." Lol. 

23 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Has anybody seen Lena Horne in the role of the good witch in "The Wiz"?

Sidney Lumet directed it. And his daughters got Lena Horne to play the part because they said she needed to do it for posterity--

his daughters were her granddaughters.

I have never seen The Wiz.  I knew that it had Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, but if it also has Lena Horne! I think I may really need to see it.

Sidney Lumet really got around.  I just learned a few weeks ago that he was married to Gloria Vanderbilt.  Vanderbilt I learned was married to Leonard Stokowski, whom I'll forever remember from Looney Tunes when Bugs Bunny impersonates him in one short. In another short, I think "Hollywood Steps Out," Stokowski is featured wearing a snood, to keep his hair back. 

4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The True Story of Lynn Stuart (1958) Tail Fin Noir

poster.jpg

This was the final film of Lewis Seiler. At Warner's Seiler directed quite a few gangster films (his only other Noir was Over-Exposed (1956)). This film was based on the newspaper articles of Pat Michaels concerning what the police fed him as the "official" true story of the woman known as Lynn Stuart who in reality went undercover for 6 years. The film makes it look like a couple weeks. In the real story she was actually involved in mob activities including drug purchases. The screenplay was by John Kneubuhl.

Cinematography was by Filn Noir vet  Burnett Guffey (Guffey lensed My Name Is Julia Ross, Night Editor, Framed, Johnny O'Clock, In a Lonely Place, All the King's Men, The Reckless Moment, The Undercover Man, Knock on Any Door, Private Hell 36, Human Desire, The Sniper, Scandal Sheet, and Sirocco). 

The film stars Betsy Palmer (The Tin Star (1957) a mostly TV actress but she made a comeback in 1980 to films in Friday the 13th) as Phyllis Carter, also known as Lynn Stuart, Jack Lord (another mainly TV actor Hawaii Five-O)as Willie Down. Barry Atwater as Lt. Jim Hagan, Edmund G. Brown as Himself, and Gavin MacLeod as Turk, and John Anderson as Doc, among others.

The film is a decent watch with nice cinematography, Palmer and Lord are good in their parts. 6/10. Full review with more screencaps in Fim Noir/Gangster pages.

Don't you remember Betsy Palmer on  "I've Got A Secret" with Gary Moore?

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Still traumatized from that gay one with Jamie Foxx as the villain, huh?  Yeah, I feel your pain.

Don't worry, it's okay--Sony doesn't have them anymore.  It says Sony, but it's still Marvel, which makes it a "real" film.  They're going in declaring those movies never happened, either.

I always go see the Marvel movies because my husband usually wants to see them.  I've already seen the other 5,000 films in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe, btw), so what's another one? However, I always see them exactly once and then never feel the need to see them again, like I do say The Long, Long Trailer.  Lol. The Marvel movies, while entertaining, don't have that "re-watchability" quality for me. 

Just like the Harry Potter and Twilight movies faded into yesterday's decade-film trends (although I'm having fun rewatching my new Potter Blu set), Marvel movies basically caught the same dynamic as the comic books by serving the same FUNCTION as the print comic books--
They're serials designed to get you to buy the next one, and even though you know the Big Battle is still three issues away, you're reading the stories in between because the subplots have you hooked.  After the big battle, though, there's not much point in keeping them, and even if you do, they're usually locked away in collections and never reread.

And that's leaving aside the "cooldown" story focusing on one character and his personal issues, right after the big climactic battle story.

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Glinda is the original "mean girl."  Poor Wicked Witch of the West is someone like Janis! 

I'm sitting here, staring at the damage one book-illiterate Broadway musical has done to an entire female generation.  (Er, "Wicked", that is, not the "Mean Girls" musical.)