Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

On 7/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

WILD TOWN was, for me, a very satisfying mystery- and is a rare THOMPSON novel with a non-ambiguous, almost conventional murder-mystery style ending which i liked; and LOU FORD may be THOMPSON'S greatest creation (I especially enjoy how he is two characters- a deliberately ignorant-sounding, folksy Texas lawman when he's dealing with the rubes and an ice-pick smart college boy without any accent or colloqualisms when the "real" him is talking to someone who isn't a hick.

THE ENDING OF THE GETAWAY is such a SADISTIC BUMMER, all the moreso because THE BOOK has the best first thirty pages of any book he EVER wrote. in fact, if THOMPSON HAd just left it a short story about the heist and the sniper and the doublecross, it'd been GREAT.

I remember you or someone else mentioning THE FILM VERSION OF THE KILL-OFF, i'll check for it. the book itself is like a companion piece to WILD TOWn in that it is also a pretty conventionally told murder mystery a la CHRISTIE...only the resolution in it is not satisfying. At all.  it's rather like a spec script for MURDER SHE WROTE.

and spoiler in re THE CRIMINAL- which is a short novel he wrote...

 

you never find out who the killer is at all.

So here is a complete list of Jim Thompson's major Works: 

Now and on Earth (1942)*
Heed the Thunder (aka Sins of the Fathers) (1946)*
Nothing More Than Murder (1949)*
The Killer Inside Me (1952)**
Cropper's Cabin (1952)*
Recoil (1953)*
The Alcoholics (1953)
Savage Night (1953)*
Bad Boy (1953)
The Criminal (1953)
The Nothing Man (1954)*
The Golden Gizmo (1954)
Roughneck (1954)
A Swell-Looking Babe (1954)*
A Hell of a Woman (1954)**
After Dark, My Sweet (1955)*
The Kill-Off (1957)*
Wild Town (1957)**
The Getaway (1958)**
The Transgressors (1961)*
The Grifters (1963) *
Pop. 1280 (1964) **
Texas By the Tail (1965)*
South of Heaven (1967)*
Nothing But a Man (1970)*
Child of Rage (1972)
King Blood (1973)*
Fireworks: The Lost Writings of Jim Thompson (1988) *
The Rip-Off (1989)

You've red the black asterisk'ed above I've read the red ones, looks like we need to read....

The Alcoholics (1953)
Bad Boy (1953)
The Criminal (1953)
The Golden Gizmo (1954)
Roughneck (1954)
Child of Rage (1972)
The Rip-Off (1989)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Now as I understood it, Basil Rathbone was a master fence man. He is the one that taught Errol Flynn in sword fighting, not to mention Ty Power in the Zorro flick. Am I wrong here? 

Rathbone was the better fencer, but I think all three had the same instructor -- Fred Cavens.  Rathbone had taken it up as a hobby/sport, and had been fencing since 1935 or earlier, I think, since he had a lot of stage experience and fencing was a required skill.  Rathbone himself said that Power was a better fencer than Flynn because Flynn took risks and could have been injured.  The best fencer R. claims he ever came up against was Danny Kaye, who apparently was a quick study and could memorize every moment of a physical routine.  In any case, I never tire of watching any of these guys duel.  Flynn's a natural athlete, Power is quick and graceful, Kaye is a riot, and Rathbone is just always at the top of his form.  Hard to believe that he was in his late 40s (and in his early 60s in The Court Jester) and easily able to keep up with these much younger men.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rosebette said:

Rathbone was the better fencer, but I think all three had the same instructor -- Fred Cavens.  Rathbone had taken it up as a hobby/sport, and had been fencing since 1935 or earlier, I think, since he had a lot of stage experience and fencing was a required skill.  Rathbone himself said that Power was a better fencer than Flynn because Flynn took risks and could have been injured.  The best fencer R. claims he ever came up against was Danny Kaye, who apparently was a quick study and could memorize every moment of a physical routine.  In any case, I never tire of watching any of these guys duel.  Flynn's a natural athlete, Power is quick and graceful, Kaye is a riot, and Rathbone is just always at the top of his form.  Hard to believe that he was in his late 40s (and in his early 60s in The Court Jester) and easily able to keep up with these much younger men.

Thanks for responding. I've read that Rathbone had no clue as to Danny Kaye's movements in the sword fight. When you watch the scene, it is quite apparent that Danny Kaye is all over the place with Rathbone trying to keep up. What is that? The Court Jester? Yes.

There is absolutely no doubt in my brain that Flynn took unnecessary risks. That is so typical of him. But he is a joy to watch. And so handsome. 

My absolute favorite fencing scene is Rathbone and Flynn in the Sea Hawk. Hope I have this correct. I often get the pirate pictures confused. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Janet0312 said:

Thanks for responding. I've read that Rathbone had no clue as to Danny Kaye's movements in the sword fight. When you watch the scene, it is quite apparent that Danny Kaye is all over the place with Rathbone trying to keep up. What is that? The Court Jester? Yes.

There is absolutely no doubt in my brain that Flynn took unnecessary risks. That is so typical of him. But he is a joy to watch. And so handsome. 

My absolute favorite fencing scene is Rathbone and Flynn in the Sea Hawk. Hope I have this correct. I often get the pirate pictures confused. 

 

 

Actually, Flynn's opponent in The Sea Hawk was Henry Daniell, who was not much of a fencer and who was doubled through most of the duel.  You might want to watch youtube footage of each duel, and you can see by how each duel is cut and shot that through most of the The Adventures of Robin Hood duel, both actors are doing most of their own work (except for the big fall down the stairs by Rathbone).  There's also some outtake and "home movie" footage on the making of TARH which shows the duel actually being shot, and you can see both actors doing most of their own fencing and stunts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rosebette said:

Actually, Flynn's opponent in The Sea Hawk was Henry Daniell, who was not much of a fencer and who was doubled through most of the duel.  You might want to watch youtube footage of each duel, and you can see by how each duel is cut and shot that through most of the The Adventures of Robin Hood duel, both actors are doing most of their own work (except for the big fall down the stairs by Rathbone).  There's also some outtake and "home movie" footage on the making of TARH which shows the duel actually being shot, and you can see both actors doing most of their own fencing and stunts.

Wait. Lafette. Beach. My fave duel.

Very cool. Thank you! 

Henry Daniel. He always plays such an evil... The Suspect. Have you seen that one?

On to You Tube!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Wait. Lafette. Beach. My fave duel.

Very cool. Thank you! 

Henry Daniel. He always plays such an evil... The Suspect. Have you seen that one?

On to You Tube!

Yes, Captain Blood is the duel you're thinking of, Flynn and Rathbone's first.  If you want to see that Robin Hood outtake youtube, the whole thing is fascinating.  The duel stuff starts around 6:54.

 

The Suspect is a great picture, and Charles Laughton is also great in it -- a murderer, but still winning our sympathy.  Henry Daniell always plays such slimy characters.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rosebette said:

Yes, Captain Blood is the duel you're thinking of, Flynn and Rathbone's first.  If you want to see that Robin Hood outtake youtube, the whole thing is fascinating.  The duel stuff starts around 6:54.

 

The Suspect is a great picture, and Charles Laughton is also great in it -- a murderer, but still winning our sympathy.  Henry Daniell always plays such slimy characters.  

 

I think I found a new friend.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I think I found a new friend.

If you like that outtake footage, the DVD of The Adventures of Robin Hood has two short videos about the making of the film with lots more footage and commentary by Rudy Behmler.  There are also some wonderful candids of the cast lounging around, even some of Rathbone and DeHavilland looking kind of cozy.  He has his arm around her a lot  - you'd think they were the item, not Flynn and DeHavilland.  There's also some wonderful factual trivia, such as that they were making the film in the fall, and Chico Park was getting cool, so the leaves were changing.  They had to start spraying the trees with vegetable dye to keep them green.  Anyway, the DVD is well worth the price -- it's a beautiful print and has all that great other material, even some Looney Tunes Robin Hood stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rosebette said:

If you like that outtake footage, the DVD of The Adventures of Robin Hood has two short videos about the making of the film with lots more footage and commentary by Rudy Behmler.  There are also some wonderful candids of the cast lounging around, even some of Rathbone and DeHavilland looking kind of cozy.  He has his arm around her a lot  - you'd think they were the item, not Flynn and DeHavilland.  There's also some wonderful factual trivia, such as that they were making the film in the fall, and Chico Park was getting cool, so the leaves were changing.  They had to start spraying the trees with vegetable dye to keep them green.  Anyway, the DVD is well worth the price -- it's a beautiful print and has all that great other material, even some Looney Tunes Robin Hood stuff.

Send it to me. Send it to me. I love this stuff!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rosebette said:

If you like that outtake footage, the DVD of The Adventures of Robin Hood has two short videos about the making of the film with lots more footage and commentary by Rudy Behmler.  There are also some wonderful candids of the cast lounging around, even some of Rathbone and DeHavilland looking kind of cozy.  He has his arm around her a lot  - you'd think they were the item, not Flynn and DeHavilland.  There's also some wonderful factual trivia, such as that they were making the film in the fall, and Chico Park was getting cool, so the leaves were changing.  They had to start spraying the trees with vegetable dye to keep them green.  Anyway, the DVD is well worth the price -- it's a beautiful print and has all that great other material, even some Looney Tunes Robin Hood stuff.

Ah, Bugs Bunny. Don't you worry, don't you fear, Robin Hood will soon be here..." LOL!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Send it to me. Send it to me. I love this stuff!!!!!!!

The TCM shop has it now for 11.99, Amazon for 16.99, but cheaper if you have Prime.  Maybe you should treat yourself during Prime Week.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rosebette said:

The TCM shop has it now for 11.99, Amazon for 16.99, but cheaper if you have Prime.  Maybe you should treat yourself during Prime Week.  

 

1 minute ago, rosebette said:

The TCM shop has it now for 11.99, Amazon for 16.99, but cheaper if you have Prime.  Maybe you should treat yourself during Prime Week.  

I have Prime. I've watched the Laurel & Hardy bio twice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Janet0312 said:

 

I have Prime. I've watched the Laurel & Hardy bio twice. 

Have you seen "Well of Doom" a Thriller episode with Henry Daniell? Super wicked creepy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

You've red the black asterisk'ed above I've read the red ones, looks like we need to read....

The Alcoholics (1953)
Bad Boy (1953)
The Criminal (1953)
The Golden Gizmo (1954)
Roughneck (1954)
Child of Rage (1972)
The Rip-Off (1989)

I've read THE ALCOHOLICS. It was an unpublished manuscript (really a bare-bones idea) that they found in a desk drawer and had published in its own glossy-backed edition in spite of the fact that it's barely over 100 pages (they play with the margins and chapters)...but they should've let it lie, I think THOMPSON would NOT be happy if he'd known it had seen the light of day.

I've also read THE CRIMINAL and I wouldn't recommend it, although it at least tries for something different with the ending...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peebs said:

I enjoyed the Tab Hunter documentary, too.  I found it especially interesting that after leaving Warner's not only did his career suffer but the tabloids felt that he was an open target for rumors.  He didn't have the studio behind him to protect his public image.

As he said, leaving Warner Bros. was "career suicide".

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rosebette said:

You mean the new one with John O'Reilly and Steve Coogan?  I've wanted to see that.

Very cool. Thank you! 

Henry Daniel. He always plays such an evil... The Suspect. Have you seen that one?

One to You Tube!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Are we talking about Pernell Roberts incredibly stupid move to leave Bonanza?

I'm *pretty sure* they're talking about TAB HUNTER.

But your point in re: PERNELL is well-taken. Was BONANZA a Warner's property?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rayban said:

God forgive me, but it [the dropping of the bomb] is treated in a basically celebratory manner -

And the Enola Gay was named after someone's mother. "Ok, here it comes all you below, here is a kiss from dear old mom."

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm *pretty sure* they're talking about TAB HUNTER.

But your point in re: PERNELL is well-taken. Was BONANZA a Warner's property?

20th Century Fox. That Jackass.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...