Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Last Challenge  (1967)  -  6/10

Poster_of_the_movie_The_Last_Challenge.j

Western with Glenn Ford as a veteran gunman and town marshal who battles with younger gunfighter Chad Everett. With Angie Dickinson as Ford's love interest, Gary Merrill, Jack Elam, Frank McGrath, and Royal Dano. This was a passable, routine western that could just as easily have been one of a dozen TV series episodes from the decade. The score by Richard Shores was awful. And just look at that poster. Who thought that pose would bring in audiences?

Source: TCM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

also, AHEM:

32c171fa5ff1b9d1d56f89a868cedf1f.jpg

Gene Raymond had the kind of handsomeness that washed up over you.

And he did have charm, too.

When he was on screen, you watched him  - closely.

His smallest gesture could be worth a thousand words.

If it wasn't a "divine presence", he came pretty close.

• Thanks 1
On 7/17/2019 at 3:38 PM, rayban said:

In "Ex-Lady", and other films, Gene Raymond could easily qualify as "dreamy".

Image1.png

He kind of reminds me of Dick Powell with blonde hair in this picture.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As Rayban points out Raymond was very handsome.    I just don't think he had enough of a screen persona compared to Grant or Flynn etc or the unique charm Cooper has (that takes him beyond wooden).

I agree.  He wasn't terrible, and he was more interesting than someone like Kent Smith, but I think this part needed someone a bit sleazier-- like maybe Lyle Talbot, or Clark Gable (nevermind that these men were probably contracted to other studios). 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

also, AHEM:

32c171fa5ff1b9d1d56f89a868cedf1f.jpg

His face kind of reminds me of Forrest Tucker in this picture.

Meh. Raymond doesn't do anything for me.  Maybe it's because I'm not really into blonde guys. 

• Like 1

The Living Corpse  (1967)  -  8/10

34539524126aa70cd14a0c98a58b00fb.jpg

Pakistani horror film that's an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. In this version, scientist Professor Tabani (Rehan) is experimenting with a formula for the "elixir of life". Unfortunately, when he drinks it, he becomes a bloodthirsty vampire. Also featuring Yasmeen Shaukat, Deeba Begum, Habibur Rehman, and Asad Bukhari. First of all, this was the first Pakistani film that I've ever seen, so that's a plus. This film resembles the Hammer Horror of Dracula than either Stoker's novel or the Universal film with Lugosi. However, as in a Bollywood movie, there are frequent awkward breaks for musical numbers, several of which are hilarious. Production wise, this reminded me of the Mexican vampire films of the 1950's, which themselves looked like Poverty Row Hollywood films from the early 1940's. I really enjoyed this movie, for it's cultural flavor, the oddity of the music (there are strange snippets of "La Cucaracha" and other western pieces), and the camp "spook-show" atmosphere. Recommended to a select few, and you know who you are.

Source: Mondo Macabro DVD

livingcorpse2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/17/2019 at 6:38 PM, rayban said:

In "Ex-Lady", and other films, Gene Raymond could easily qualify as "dreamy".

Image1.png

He could also qualify as boring.

This is one of the few actors who makes a potted plant look interesting.

• Haha 1

Luv  (1967)  -  4/10

220px-Luv_(film).jpg

"Comedy" featuring Jack Lemmon as a suicidal ignoramus who bumps into equally irritating former schoolmate Peter Falk. The latter asks the former to help get his wife (Elaine May) to divorce him so that he can be with his mistress (Nina Wayne). Lemmon and the "quirky" May fall for each other, but only for so long, since they're both aggravating cretins. Also featuring Severn Darden, Paul Hartman, and Harrison Ford. I found this extremely unfunny, and truly wished I could change places with Harrison Ford, who appears for a few seconds, just long enough to punch Jack Lemmon in the face.

Source: Mill Creek DVD

The Public Enemy (1931)

xOl2F8i.jpg

My biggest mistake was missing the first 15 minutes of it. Not just for general plot purposes but for a later scene that would have had a bigger impact. But I did right by watching the rest of it, as it was still pretty damn good and the ending still holds weight and packs a punch. It feels a bit wooden but I don't think I would replace anybody. The familial relationship with James Cagney and Donald Cook with what feels like their mother is the main reason they aren't just slugging it out every time one gets riled up. And with some of the scenes in it, it definitely left a legacy and influenced gangster movies that came after it. And the random factor, how you can do things right and it can still go wrong. But the ending, I'm still thinking about it.

9+/10

• Like 4
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Luv  (1967)  -  4/10

220px-Luv_(film).jpg

"Comedy" featuring Jack Lemmon as a suicidal ignoramus who bumps into equally irritating former schoolmate Peter Falk. The latter asks the former to help get his wife (Elaine May) to divorce him so that he can be with his mistress (Nina Wayne). Lemmon and the "quirky" May fall for each other, but only for so long, since they're both aggravating cretins. Also featuring Severn Darden, Paul Hartman, and Harrison Ford. I found this extremely unfunny, and truly wished I could change places with Harrison Ford, who appears for a few seconds, just long enough to punch Jack Lemmon in the face.

Source: Mill Creek DVD

It was a very big hit on Broadway.

Maybe if they had used the original Broadway cast.

54 minutes ago, rayban said:

It was a very big hit on Broadway.

Maybe if they had used the original Broadway cast.

I had to look it up, but the cast was Alan Arkin, Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson. I like all of them, so maybe they would have improved the movie. However, I normally really like Elaine May and Peter Falk, even if Jack Lemmon can be grating to me on occasion, and I didn't care for any of them in the film. Maybe director Clive Donner decided to use a tone that I just didn't click with.

• Like 1

The Blue Lamp (1950)

Image result for The Blue Lamp (1950) original movie posters

Directed by Basil Deardon with Jack Warner, Jimmy Hanley, Dirk Bogarde, Robert Flemyng, Bernard Lee, and Peggy Evans. A good British police procedural about a rookie bobbie (Jimmy Hanley) and his veteran partner (Jack Warner) on their daily beats. 

Two hoods Tom (Dirk Bogarde) and Spud (Patric Doonan) commit a series of robberies with Tom's girlfriend Diana (Peggy Evans) a runaway teen acting as the insider. When Warner is shot during one of the robberies, the entire city's police force is after them. The film features an abondanza of gritty London locations. The restored Bluray is very nice with a few interesting London then and now features. 7/10 Source StudioCanal Bluray

Gunn (1967)

Image result for Gunn (1967) movie posters

Directed by Blake Edwards, starring Craig Stevens reprising his roll as Peter Gunn from the Peter Gunn (1958-1961) TV series. It's a decent effort. Stevens and the classic theme by Mancini are the only returnees from the series but the film is quite noir-ish and (then) up to date "hip." Ed Asner takes over the Herschel Bernardi role in the role of the police detective. The action all looks moved to Southern California or Florida (glimpses of palm trees in the darkness). Mother's is now a beach bar. You can see the influence of the demise of the M.P.P.C. and James Bond films in Stevens' interaction with Sherry Jackson as a sexy babe who turns up naked in Gunn's bed and quite a few bloody action sequences. Gunn's chanteuse gal pal Edie is played by Laura Devon. Carol Wayne makes a cameo. This could use a decent release. 7/10 Source online streamer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

his mistress (Nina Wayne). I found this extremely unfunny, and truly wished I could change places with Harrison Ford, who appears for a few seconds, just long enough to punch Jack Lemmon in the face.

Nina Wayne, the sister of Carol Wayne? I sure miss Carol, think she was vastly underrated comedienne.

Haha, great closing line there Lawrence.

I started watching the 1985(?) ABC TV MOVIE THE MIDNIGHT HOUR, expecting to turn it off but ended up watching the whole damn thing GOOFY AT TIMES AS IT IS.

It's basically a NETWORK TV CASH IN ON "THRILLER" THAT, while not "THRILLER" is still noteworthy and watchable and entertaining in its own sort of time capsule way

I saw it on youtube and I imagine it'll get PULLED ANY SECOND because it uses a TREASURE TROVE OF SONGS THAT BUYING THE RIGHTS TO THESE DAYS WOULD KILL YOU (I tried to watch it once before and it had had the audio turned off.)

I saw this as a kid (8 years old?) and it messed me up a little more than I already was...it's such an odd mix of HIGH CAMP and disturbing violence (there are SEVERAL genuinely CREEPY and/or violent scenes that are quite well scored and lit, although one bad move is the inclusion of a silly-looking werewolf)

the song THE MIDNIGHT HOUR to this day creeps me out, but there is also BABY I'M YOURS by the Shirelles, LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD, BAD MOON RISING, two versions of SEA OF LOVE and, I **** you not, an EXTENDED INSTRUMENTAL OF HOW SOON IS NOW? BY THE SMITHS IN A WEIRD SLO MOTION VAMPIRE IN THE WINE CELLAR ATTACK SCENE.

I like the incorporation of African Americans in the cast- the actress playing the undead witch is FABULOUS- the 31 year old SHARI BELAFONTE HARPER and LEVAR BURTON are less compelling performers, but each gets an A for EFFORT.

I kept waiting for LEVAR to yell for CAMEO to come out with his hands up.

DICK VAN PATTEN has a small pointless role; KEVIN MCCARTHY is in it as an alcoholic judge who kills his son and he is TERRIFIC, you hired KEVIN MCCARTHY and YOU GOT YOUR MONEY WORTH EVERY TIME.

THIS ALSO HAPPENS:

(you see, in the 1980's, there was this thing called "cocaine"...)

IT'S NEVER CLEARLY EXPLAINED WHETHER THE VARIOUS TOWNSPEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO UNDEAD GHOULS RETURN TO NORMAL OR WHAT.

The young male and female leads are both quite likeable.

they don't make 'em like this anymore.

ps- sorry for not googling the actors' names.

• Like 2

ps- a remake of THE MIDNIGHT HOUR could work.

pss- I get the feeling things were left on the cutting room floor as there is an odd subplot about a hot substitute teacher/ very bad party chaperone that feels like there was more to it. Her BOWIE costume gets an A+ tho. 

psss- I don't know how to explain the guy in the football jersey and the diaper.

pssss- as i am at work, walking to get the mail, working out at the gym today, I am totally going to be singing GET DEAD to myself.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Nina Wayne, the sister of Carol Wayne? I sure miss Carol, think she was vastly underrated comedienne.

Haha, great closing line there Lawrence.

I thought it was Carol Wayne at first, they look so similar. One of those retro TV channels has been showing old Tonight Shows that feature the skits Carol Wayne did with Johnny Carson, and I agree, she was very funny and had great timing.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought it was Carol Wayne at first, they look so similar. One of those retro TV channels has been showing old Tonight Shows that feature the skits Carol Wayne did with Johnny Carson, and I agree, she was very funny and had great timing.

I saw the movie in a theater when it first came out and thought that it was Carol Wayne then and thought so until Lawrence's review. (I must not have read the credits carefully). I thought it was very unfunny then and have never watched it since, although I remember my roommate at the time howling with delight.

Carol Wayne died under mysterious circumstances. She endured personal and financial problems after being fired by Carson. See this:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/228539-the-mysterious-death-of-carol-wayne/

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i highly recommend a visit to GENE RAYMOND'S WIKIPEDIA PAGE.

I was going to bring that up yesterday when Raymond was being discussed, but I know some don't like it when personal lives are brought up.

Whenever I think of Gene Raymond, I think of the guy Louis Mayer made Jeannette MacDonald marry (and act as a beard for), as well as the guy who physically abused MacDonald, that is until Nelson Eddy reportedly beat him badly enough to hospitalize. 

Oh, and as a bland-to-terrible actor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1