Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Just now, cigarjoe said:

he did it way way better than Ethan and Joel Coen did with Hail, Caesar! (2016)

Totally agree with you on that, I thought "Hail Caesar" was a bore. 

• Like 1

Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival  (1970)  -  8/10

Zat%C3%B4ichi-abare-himatsuri-19704-e156

21st entry in the long-running Japanese film series. Zatoichi (Shintaro Katsu), the blind masseur and master swordsman, runs afoul of the Dark Lord Yamikubo (Masayuki Mori), the blind so-called Boss of All Bosses of the regional yakuza. Not only does Ichi have to deal multiple attempts on his life, but there's also a mysterious ronin (Tatsuya Nakadai) tracking his every move. With Reiko Ohara, Ko Nishimura, Kazuko Yoshiyuki, Ryunosuke Kaneda, and Pita as "Umeji". This was the Zatoichi film in quite a while, with interesting characters, an unpredictable story, and memorable fight scenes, including a protracted battle in a bath house with all nude combatants. Mori, in his next-to-last role, is very good as the chief villain, and Nakadai is always a welcome addition to any film. Pita, playing a young man desperate to become a yakuza member, was a noted drag performer.

Source: Criterion Blu ray

3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I just saw this and am still stunned. I will try not to create more hype about this but I got to be honest:

I think this is the best movie of the year and the best one I have seen in over a decade. 10/10

4 stars highest rating!!

This is MUST for all film buffs and any who like Hollywood "behind the scenes" stories. Leonardo DiCaprio is excellent as the former TV cowboy actor who has hit the skids. Brad Pitt matches him as Leo's stunt double/driver and all around best bud. Margot Robbie is incandescent as Sharon Tate. Tarantino did something here which I will not reveal but I would have thought would be impossible to pull off, but he does. There is also a pit bull in the movie that has some of the best scenes involving a dog I have ever seen.

I will say no more, except:

MOVIE BUFFS GO SEE IT!

Going to see it in about 1.5 hours. Excited after reading your review :) 

• Like 1

Alien Terror aka Sinister Invasion  (1971)  -  2/10

220px-The_Incredible_Invasion.jpg

Mexican science fiction/horror film with Boris Karloff as a 19th century scientist who discovers a form of radiation that has tremendous destructive potential. His experiments draw the attention of aliens who are afraid that the clumsy humans may cause too much mayhem using this radiation, so they send one of their number (Sergio Kleiner) to Earth, where he recruits a crazed sex murderer (Yerye Beirute) to help stop Karloff. Also featuring Enrique Guzman, Christa Linder, Maura Monti, and Tere Valez. This is another of those films made using footage shot of Karloff in L.A. back in early 1968. This was the last of those four films released, and thus Karloff's final film. It's the craziest of the three that I've watched so far, and is essential for bad movie fans. All others beware.

Source: VCI DVD

b82f32d28fb5ae88cff243c583b73a581ef3a4b8

• Thanks 1

Bad Man's River  (1971)  -  4/10

91njAkS0D+L._SY445_.jpg

Spaghetti western with Lee Van Cleef as a notorious bank robber who teams up with his ex Gina Lollobrigida and her new husband James Mason in an attempt to steal a gold shipment from the Mexican military. Also featuring Gianni Garko, Simon Andreu, Diana Lorys, Aldo Sambrell, and Sergio Fantoni. This leans more on comedy than anything else, and suffers for it. In one scene, terrible "funny" music and sound effects are heard while troops machine-gun helpless peasants. The actors involved reportedly all felt the movie was garbage, and they were right.

Source: Mill Creek DVD

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Are you aware that your movie film choices are quite bizarre?

I have watched many of the movies which he critiques. What does that say of me? The Vampire Doll (1970) is a particular example of a movie which I like very much but often feel as if I am the only person here who has watched it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Bad Man's River  (1971)  -  4/10

91njAkS0D+L._SY445_.jpg

Spaghetti western with Lee Van Cleef as a notorious bank robber who teams up with his ex Gina Lollobrigida and her new husband James Mason in an attempt to steal a gold shipment from the Mexican military. Also featuring Gianni Garko, Simon Andreu, Diana Lorys, Aldo Sambrell, and Sergio Fantoni. This leans more on comedy than anything else, and suffers for it. In one scene, terrible "funny" music and sound effects are heard while troops machine-gun helpless peasants. The actors involved reportedly all felt the movie was garbage, and they were right.

Van Cleef made some very good Spaghetti Westerns  and some very bad Spaghetti Westerns. Captain Apache (1971) is another not so good one.

Blood Shack aka The Chooper  (1971)  -  2/10

64761-blood-shack-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?k

Horror from director Ray Dennis Steckler, under the name "Wolfgang Schmidt". Steckler's ex-wife Carolyn Brandt stars as Carolyn Brandt, a washed-up horror movie actress who decides to buy a rundown house out in the Mojave desert. She's not there very long before she learns about the "Chooper", a vengeful spirit out of Native American folklore said to haunt the area. Also featuring Ron Haydock, Jason Wayne, John Bates, Laurel Spring, Steve Edwards, Linda Steckler, and Laura Steckler. Shot on a reported $500 budget, this looks like it cost even less. Steckler not only puts his ex-wife in it, but his two daughters as well. It's less than an hour long, yet is still heavily padded with rodeo footage.

Source: Media Blasters/Shriek Show DVD, featuring interviews with Steckler and Brandt, as well as an intro by Joe Bob Briggs

On 7/25/2019 at 6:23 PM, rayban said:

Pierre Clementi - it's too bad that TCM can't do a tribute to this great character actor -

51OIcT5VQbL.jpg

Well, I wouldn't throw him out of bed for eating crackers. 

• Like 1

Brain of Blood  (1971)  -  2/10

brain1.jpg

"Fake" sequel in the Blood Island series of Filipino horror films. When the elderly ruler (Reed Hadley) of an island nation is dying, his closest advisers decide to okay an experimental procedure developed by scientist Dr. Trenton (Kent Taylor) - remove the ruler's brain and place it in a healthy body. Doctor Bob (Grant Williams) isn't so sure about all of this, and his misgivings prove well founded when Dr. Trenton reveals that he secretly hopes to take over the country for himself. To this end, he places the ruler's brain in the acid-scarred body of Gor (John Bloom), the doctor's lackey. Also featuring Regina Carroll, Vicki Volante, Zandor Varkov, and Angelo Rossitto.

The producers of the previous Blood Island movies wanted to make one more sequel, but decided that going back to the Philippines was too expensive, so they hired Z-grade director Al Adamson (Dracula vs Frankenstein) to shoot this in L.A. and try and make it look like it was shot overseas. They failed. This movie is incredibly bad, and incredibly funny. It has to be seen to be believed, but to see it is to alter your mind forever, for it can not be un-seen.

Source: Alpha Video DVD

• Haha 1

Johnny Stool Pigeon (1949) 7/10

johnny-stool-pigeon-movie-poster-1949.jpg

Re-watched a slightly better print, its a nice little Film Noir with a dude ranch angle that is a hoot. Stars Dan Duryea, Howard Duff, John McIntyre and Shelley Winters, and no she doesn't die in this.

McIntyre is the over the top Dude Ranch manager. 

Source: on line streaming

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Duryea and Winters are both quite good in this one. I'd love it if this pretty good little crime drama got restored one day.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Re-watched a slightly better print, its a nice little Film Noir with a dude ranch angle that is a hoot. Stars Dan Duryea, Howard Duff, John McIntyre and Shelley Winters, and no she doesn't die in this.

McIntyre is the over the top Dude Ranch manager. 

Source: on line streaming

I'll have to check this film out.      McIntyre playing an over-the-top character;  that is unusual.    I had to Google him just to ensure I knew who it was (and I did since I'm been watching Wagon Train,  where he replaced Ward Bond).     Funny but I found this picture with him and Duryea.

220px-Dan_Duryea_Jane_Wyman_John_McIntire_Wagon_Train_1962.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Well, I wouldn't throw him out of bed for eating crackers. 

Me, either.

Creatures the World Forgot  (1971)  -  5/10

220px-Creatures_the_World_Forgot.jpg

More prehistoric shenanigans from Hammer, following One Million Years B.C.Prehistoric Women, and When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. The story follows one tribe of prehistoric savages led by Mak (Brian O'Shaughnessy), and the rivalry between his two sons Toomak (Tony Bonner) and Rool (Robin John). They all battle rival tribes, hunt beasts, and find mates, With top-billed Julie Ege as Toomak's bride, Sue Wilson, Rosalie Crutchley, and Marcia Fox. There's no dialogue, just grunting and yelling. Unlike some of the other films of this nature, there are also no anachronistic dinosaurs, only some warthogs, antelope, and a guy in a terrible bear costume. There's also very little clothing on anyone, which I'm sure was a big selling point at the time.

tumblr_one9cbFGAM1sqf5tdo1_400.jpg

• Like 1

Earth II  (1971)  -  5/10

Earth+II+Poster.jpg

Made-for-TV science fiction drama set in the then-near future and set on the world's first permanently-staffed space station, dubbed "Earth II" by the US President (Lew Ayres). New arrival Frank Karger (Anthony Franciosa) butts heads with David Seville (Gary Lockwood) over how to handle various crises, including a Chinese nuclear missle found in orbit. Also featuring Mariette Hartley, Gary Merrill, Scott Hylands, Hari Rhodes, Edward Michael Bell, Inga Swenson, James Hong, and Soon-Tek Oh. This is very serious-minded stuff, with little flash or adventure. NASA co-operated in the production design, and Rice University designed the space station. Unfortunately, it's very dull, with rote characters and banal situations that fail to engage the audience much. 

Source: Warner Archive DVD

The Fifth Cord  (1971)  -  6/10

220px-The-fifth-cord.jpg

Italian giallo thriller with Franco Nero as a reporter who drinks too much, assigned to write a story on a serious assault. Soon there are more attacks which escalate into murders, and Nero finds himself among the suspects tracked by wily police detective Wolfgang Preiss. Also featuring Silvia Monti, Ira von Furstenberg, Edmund Purdom, Rossella Falk, Renato Romano, Luciano Bertoli, Maurizio Bonuglia, and Pamela Tiffin. Directed by Luigi Bazzoni and featuring a score by Ennio Morricone and cinematography by Vittorio Storaro, this looks and sounds good, only to be let down by a lethargic script and thin characterizations. Still, fans of the genre should find it worth a look.

Source: Blue Underground DVD

Fifth-Cord.jpg?sha=39ed8726126e365b

Fifth+Cord.JPG

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Creatures the World Forgot  (1971)  -  5/10

With top-billed Julie Ege...There's no dialogue, just grunting and yelling.

tumblr_one9cbFGAM1sqf5tdo1_400.jpg

Ooh ooh! Ege Ege!!!

(...me like)

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2019 at 1:38 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I just saw this and am still stunned. I will try not to create more hype about this but I got to be honest:

I think this is the best movie of the year and the best one I have seen in over a decade. 10/10

4 stars highest rating!!

This is MUST for all film buffs and any who like Hollywood "behind the scenes" stories. Leonardo DiCaprio is excellent as the former TV cowboy actor who has hit the skids. Brad Pitt matches him as Leo's stunt double/driver and all around best bud. Margot Robbie is incandescent as Sharon Tate. Tarantino did something here which I will not reveal but I would have thought would be impossible to pull off, but he does. There is also a pit bull in the movie that has some of the best scenes involving a dog I have ever seen.

I will say no more, except:

MOVIE BUFFS GO SEE IT!

So how violent is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? Is all the violence concentrated in one place so that you could see the rest of the movie and then walk out? If so, what would be the cue to leave? For those of us who would not re-watch The Wild Bunch for its violence and who avoid all horror movies, how much more violent is it? (I appreciate that many viewers are so used to extreme violence that it is difficult for them to imagine that not everyone feels that way.) I have always enjoyed missing Tarantino films, but the re-creation of 1969 is something that interests me. Thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kingrat said:

So how violent is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

A fist fight and some blood, a bloodless fight with Bruce Lee, and then the payoff. I didn't time it but its within the last ten minutes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kingrat said:

So how violent is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? Is all the violence concentrated in one place so that you could see the rest of the movie and then walk out? If so, what would be the cue to leave? For those of us who would not re-watch The Wild Bunch for its violence and who avoid all horror movies, how much more violent is it? (I appreciate that many viewers are so used to extreme violence that it is difficult for them to imagine that not everyone feels that way.) I have always enjoyed missing Tarantino films, but the re-creation of 1969 is something that interests me. Thanks.

There is some brutal violence in the last half hour or so, but none of the over the top, cartoonish violence that was in "Kill Bill" or "Django Unchained".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isle of the Snake People aka Cult of the Dead  (1971)  -  3/10

220px-Isle_of_the_Snake_People_(1971).jp

Mexican horror about a small Caribbean island that's caught in the grip of voodoo. Temperance advocate Anabella (Julissa) travels to the island to visit her elderly uncle Carl van Molder (Boris Karloff), only to get caught up in the evil voodoo cult's ritual plans. Also featuring Rafael Bertrand, Quintin Bulnes, Julia Marichal, Santanon, and Tongolele as "Kalea". Yes, this is another of those piecemeal movies using footage shot of Karloff back in '68. Unlike the other three movies, which are all terrible, this one is boring as well, which is unforgivable in this kind of movie. Things perk up slightly whenever the strange Tongolele, playing a priestess, shows up, but not enough to make this worth seeking out.

Source: VCI DVD

tumblr_pqcjkba7l31v85sfao5_500.jpg

MV5BNjg1MDE0NjMxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDk4

24 Frames (2017) - This Iranian art film is the last film of famed director Abbas Kiarostami. The film has no overarching narrative or plot. The film brings to life scenes of before and after paintings of greats like Brueghel. It is visually stunning and each frame is overlaid with real animals and people moving about in a way that tries to blend the real life motion with the stillness of the painting. The fake and the real are displayed alongside each other interchangeably. As I mentioned, there is no real narrative to it but a crow appears in the background of each painting linking them together. The soundtrack is also quite nice and fits the theme. The Madame Butterfly aria blasts as a tree is shaken by the wind and a French woman sings a slow love song to people enjoying the sight of the Eiffel Tower. Reading the IMDB page, I thought this was going to be very dull but surprisingly, I found it very beautiful and soothing. The only qualm I have is that it is a bit too long at almost two hours. I feel it is too long for such a plot-less, non-narrative idea. It would have worked better as a 30 or 45 minutes short or with the frames separated into multiple films to be viewed at different times. Though overall, this is a visually engrossing film and worth watching. A good final film from Kiarostami.

13 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

24 Frames (2017) - This Iranian art film is the last film of famed director Abbas Kiarostami. The film has no overarching narrative or plot. The film brings to life scenes of before and after paintings of greats like Brueghel. It is visually stunning and each frame is overlaid with real animals and people moving about in a way that tries to blend the real life motion with the stillness of the painting. The fake and the real are displayed alongside each other interchangeably. As I mentioned, there is no real narrative to it but a crow appears in the background of each painting linking them together. The soundtrack is also quite nice and fits the theme. The Madame Butterfly aria blasts as a tree is shaken by the wind and a French woman sings a slow love song to people enjoying the sight of the Eiffel Tower. Reading the IMDB page, I thought this was going to be very dull but surprisingly, I found it very beautiful and soothing. The only qualm I have is that it is a bit too long at almost two hours. I feel it is too long for such a plot-less, non-narrative idea. It would have worked better as a 30 or 45 minutes short or with the frames separated into multiple films to be viewed at different times. Though overall, this is a visually engrossing film and worth watching. A good final film from Kiarostami.

For me, Abbas Kiarostami is the least interesting filmmaker in the past 20 years that's considered by critics to be a major talent. Perhaps I haven't seen the right movies (I still haven't seen Taste of Cherry), but what I have seen (Close-UpCertified Copy) has left me cold, and usually extremely bored. The one exception is The Wind Will Carry Us, which I hated for the first 75% of the movie, but felt it came together to say something interesting by the end. From the prior descriptions, and based on Kiarostami's other works, 24 Frames sounds absolutely dreadful. 

But not everything is meant for everyone's tastes, and I should resign myself to this particular director's works holding no appeal for me.

Lake of Dracula  (1971)  -  7/10

220px-Lake-of-dracula.jpg

Japanese horror film from director Michio Yamamoto. Akiko (Midori Fujita) and her sister Natsuko (Sanae Emi) move into a house in the country, near where Akiko had a strange encounter when she was a child, the details of which have been blocked by her subconscious. After a large, coffin-shaped parcel is delivered to a neighbor, a series of strange sightings and assaults begin occurring, leading Akiko and her doctor boyfriend Takashi (Choei Takahashi) to believe that a vampire may be on the prowl. Also featuring Shin Kishida, Kaku Takashina, and Hideji Otaki. The second part of director Yamamoto's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" following the previous year's The Vampire Doll, this has no real connection. It does further fuse western vampire legend (Dracula is named-dropped a few times) with Japanese cultural scares, and there's a lot of good atmosphere and excellent cinematography.

Source: Arrow Blu ray

16958_4.jpg