Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

2 hours ago, Fedya said:

It's often considered one of Kurosawa's "lesser" movies, but there's so much more bubbling just beneath the surface

Tantalizing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

since Robin Williams' tragic passing in 2014 only added another layer of poignancy to the film.

This was a first viewing of THE FISHER KING for Mr Tiki, and he commented on that as well as the whole plot line about the mass shooter encouraged by an idiot's comments on the radio.

I did love your comments on Bridges incredible performance through the story arc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, midwestan said:

Brian Donlevy's SUTS day has come and gone.  I saw several of his films on Tuesday, some of which I had seen before (Impact, The Great McGinty, The Quatermass Xperiment).

I was hoping when Susan Hayward was playing the piano that she'd bust out a chorus of "I'll Plant My Own Tree"...but that would have been 30 years ahead of its time and may not have had the same impact on "Valley of the Dolls" than it actually did!

I also saw "The Glass Key".  If people thought Margaret Sullavan was a super-b**** in "Cry Havoc!", her performance had nothing on William Bendix and the way he brutalized Alan Ladd.

1. YES ME TOO!!!!

2. "🎶MY TREE WILL NOT BE JUST ONE IN A ROW!!!!🎶🎶🎶"
(STARTS BANGING HEAD ON PIANO KEYS)

3. I am halfway through with IMPACT; QUATERMASS XPERIMENT was interesting...I am a somewhat begrudging HAMMER FAN, and it was interesting to see what was possibly the birth of three HAMMER HALLMARKS: BOMBASTIC SCORES THAT GRAB YOU BY THE SHOULDERS AND SHAKE YOU FORCEFULLY INTO SUBMISSION IN SPITE OF THE FACT THAT THERE IS VERY LITTLE ACTION ON THE SCREEN, LOTS OF FOLEY OF FEET ON STONE FLOORS and OBVIOUSLY DUBBED ACTRESSES...seriously, the actress playing the ASTRONAUT'S WIFE may as well have been dubbed by OLIVER REED it was so obvious.

4. THE GLASS KEY is a special film to me...more about that in a bit.

• Like 2

The Emigrants (1971) 7/10

The Emigrants Poster

A poor Swedish farm family embark on a journey to America in the 1840s.

I liked this one, fine work by Max Von Sydow and Liv Ullmann, nice cinematography. Some slow scenes on their Swedish farm. Things pick up when they get on a harrowing journey by sea. You feel like you are on the ship with them, you can almost smell the stench and feel the lice crawling. The sequel, "The New Land" followed this on TCM yesterday but I did not feel I could spend another 3 1/2 hours on this but someday I hope to see it when in the mood. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

220px-Theglasskey1942.jpga framed copy of a reprint of this has hung on the wall of wherever I've lived for the past  for 28 years.

I had the pleasure of watching THE GLASS KEY (1941) yesterday, THIS is a very important film for me, i taped it off AMC one summer as a chubby little eleven year old gay boy in the 1990's and would watch it weekly (it was a WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD BACK THEN.)

I literally cried "OH YAY! out loud when I saw it in my HULU FEED.

IT IS ALWAYS SO NICE TO SEE A PARAMOUNT FILM ON TCM AND TO WHOMEVER I OWE THE THANKS FOR INCLUDING IT AND FOR WHATEVER REASONS IT HAS BEEN INCLUDED, THANKS, AND FOR THE RECORD, THIS IS ONE OF THOSE FILMS THAT I WELCOME AS THE NEW GIGI/NxNW/INSERT TITLE OF FILM THAT SHOWS UP EVERY OTHER WEekEND ON TCM.

it's a really terrific, very well-put together film that manages to work in spite of the fact that one male lead kind of ends up pushing the other to the side...It's gorgeous, it's slick- it's PARAMOUNT, and I miss seeing it.

LADD is sensational, he reads as VERY gay in some scenes, get mad at me for saying that BUT HE DOES. Speaking of which, WILLIAM BENDIX is also terrific- I have not seen him in many things, but the things I have seen him in have fascinated me, BONITA GRANVILLE is in it in a SEXY BRAT ROLE and now that I have seen her as NANCY DREW, i can really appreciate how much fun she is having. BRIAN DONLEVY is fantastic in a very MCGINTYesque role, I love that he plays de facto McGinty in a couple other films, as well as reprising the role in MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK.

I know she was- by all accounts- not a nice person and- by my mother's account, who met her at an airport, not all that attractive in real life- but VERONICA LAKE IS MY EVERYTHING IN THIS MOVIE. SHE WEARS A SNOOD, SHE WEARS A CHIGNON. SHE. IS. A. MOVIE STAR!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

220px-Theglasskey1942.jpga framed copy of a reprint of this has hung on the wall of wherever I've lived for the past  for 28 years.

I had the pleasure of watching THE GLASS KEY (1941) yesterday, THIS is a very important film for me, i taped it off AMC one summer as a chubby little eleven year old gay boy in the 1990's and would watch it weekly (it was a WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD BACK THEN.)

I literally cried "OH YAY! out loud when I saw it in my HULU FEED.

IT IS ALWAYS SO NICE TO SEE A PARAMOUNT FILM ON TCM AND TO WHOMEVER I OWE THE THANKS FOR INCLUDING IT AND FOR WHATEVER REASONS IT HAS BEEN INCLUDED, THANKS, AND FOR THE RECORD, THIS IS ONE OF THOSE FILMS THAT I WELCOME AS THE NEW GIGI/NxNW/INSERT TITLE OF FILM THAT SHOWS UP EVERY OTHER WEekEND ON TCM.

it's a really terrific, very well-put together film that manages to work in spite of the fact that one male lead kind of ends up pushing the other to the side...It's gorgeous, it's slick- it's PARAMOUNT, and I miss seeing it.

LADD is sensational, he reads as VERY gay in some scenes, get mad at me for saying that BUT HE DOES. Speaking of which, WILLIAM BENDIX is also terrific- I have not seen him in many things, but the things I have seen him in have fascinated me, BONITA GRANVILLE is in it in a SEXY BRAT ROLE and now that I have seen her as NANCY DREW, i can really appreciate how much fun she is having. BRIAN DONLEVY is fantastic in a very MCGINTYesque role, I love that he plays de facto McGinty in a couple other films, as well as reprising the role in MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK.

I know she was- by all accounts- not a nice person and- by my mother's account, who met her at an airport, not all that attractive in real life- but VERONICA LAKE IS MY EVERYTHING IN THIS MOVIE. SHE WEARS A SNOOD, SHE WEARS A CHIGNON. SHE. IS. A. MOVIE STAR!

WHAT A GREAT POSTER!!! I'd never seen it before. Veronica had a lot of personal/memtal problems, I'm sure that affected her behavior. Sad.

• Thanks 1

I don't usually review films I watch as part of RIFFTRAX- but this one just stupefied me to where i have to wonder what the backstory was.

TERROR IN THE WAX MUSEUM (1973)- which was produced by BING CROSBY PRODUCTIONS and featured Oscar Winners RAY MILLAND and BRODERICK CRAWFORD as well as MAURICE EVANS, ELSA LANCASTER, PATRIC KNOWLES, SHANI WALLIS (of OLIVER!), LOUIS HAYWARD and JOHN CARRADINE.

It is one of those intriguing examples of films made from the late sixties onward that feature many superb actors of the Golden Era trying to earn a mortgage payment whilst very poorly directed, lit, made-up and either dubbed or recorded on-set it with (it would seem) an Edison Cylinder.

I know some of these guys were needing the work, but damn.

The Boom Mic shows up for about a minute and a half in one scene, the film is so overexposed I half-expected JOHNNY WAD to show up, the sound goes out at times, one scene just STOPS right in the middle of the action (RIFFTRAX doesn't edit the films they show, so this was in the release version i imagine) and goes right into another unrelated one and you can see the wax dummies move and breath. Oh, and the heroine is not yet "of age" we are told, and yet she is played by an actress who is 35 if she is a day.

BRODERICK CRAWFORD looks AWFUL and presents a strong case that he is worthy of the title of WORST ACTOR TO EVER WIN THE BEST ACTOR OSCAR. He is, I think, fifth-billed and a minor player in this mess.

OLIVER! is the only thing I have seen SHANI WALLIS in and I liked her. Boy does she have an AAAAAAAAAAAAWFUL part in this.

when the killer is unmasked, for some reason, they never show his face. they just say his name, so if you haven't been paying attention because you were, say, making out in the Drive-Thru, you'll have absolutely no clue who the Hell they are talking about.\

not that you would care.

I am genuinely beguiled that a venture so obviously nth-rate reeled in the names that it did.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don't usually review films I watch as part of RIFFTRAX- but this one just stupefied me to where i have to wonder what the backstory was.

TERROR IN THE WAX MUSEUM (1973)- which was produced by BING CROSBY PRODUCTIONS and featured Oscar Winners RAY MILLAND and BRODERICK CRAWFORD as well as MAURICE EVANS, ELSA LANCASTER, PATRIC KNOWLES, SHANI WALLIS (of OLIVER!), LOUIS HAYWARD and JOHN CARRADINE.

It is one of those intriguing examples of films made from the late sixties onward that feature many superb actors of the Golden Era trying to earn a mortgage payment whilst very poorly directed, lit, made-up and either dubbed or recorded on-set it with (it would seem) an Edison Cylinder.

I know some of these guys were needing the work, but damn.

The Boom Mic shows up for about a minute and a half in one scene, the film is so overexposed I half-expected JOHNNY WAD to show up, the sound goes out at times, one scene just STOPS right in the middle of the action (RIFFTRAX doesn't edit the films they show, so this was in the release version i imagine) and goes right into another unrelated one and you can see the wax dummies move and breath. Oh, and the heroine is not yet "of age" we are told, and yet she is played by an actress who is 35 if she is a day.

BRODERICK CRAWFORD looks AWFUL and presents a strong case that he is worthy of the title of WORST ACTOR TO EVER WIN THE BEST ACTOR OSCAR. He is, I think, fifth-billed and a minor player in this mess.

OLIVER! is the only thing I have seen SHANI WALLIS in and I liked her. Boy does she have an AAAAAAAAAAAAWFUL part in this.

when the killer is unmasked, for some reason, they never show his face. they just say his name, so if you haven't been paying attention because you were, say, making out in the Drive-Thru, you'll have absolutely no clue who the Hell they are talking about.\

not that you would care.

I am genuinely beguiled that a venture so obviously nth-rate reeled in the names that it did.

Was this a made for tv movie? I didnt know Bing's company produced films (even bad ones).

3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Emigrants (1971) 7/10

The Emigrants Poster

A poor Swedish farm family embark on a journey to America in the 1840s.

I liked this one, fine work by Max Von Sydow and Liv Ullmann, nice cinematography. Some slow scenes on their Swedish farm. Things pick up when they get on a harrowing journey by sea. You feel like you are on the ship with them, you can almost smell the stench and feel the lice crawling. The sequel, "The New Land" followed this on TCM yesterday but I did not feel I could spend another 3 1/2 hours on this but someday I hope to see it when in the mood. 

I didn't see all of THE NEW LAND either.  But during both, I was struck by the fact that in two or less years, the strong, young looking and vibrant MAX VON SYDOW would become the old and frail looking Fr. MERRIN.  :o

All my grandparents (both sides) came to this country from Poland much later( 1893 for one side, 1905 for the other) and probably under better conditions.  But I always like movies like this and usually have a better respect and admiration for those who left familiar surroundings to try starting a new life thousands of miles away.  The hardships and fright, not to mention the pain they had to endure can't be exaggerated.  Watching that scene of Ullman's Kristina going through that painful childbirth ordeal kept reminding me of my great grandmother, who died in childbirth when my grandmother was only 8, and the child also dying.  I do too, have a copy of an old photo that shows her in her coffin with all her children standing nearby and the baby in the coffin with her. 

If and when TCM ever broadcasts these films again I'll make it a point to see them!

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Was this a made for tv movie? I didnt know Bing's company produced films (even bad ones).

No, I'm pretty sure it was theatrical release.

4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The sequel, "The New Land" followed this on TCM yesterday but I did not feel I could spend another 3 1/2 hours on this but someday I hope to see it when in the mood. 

New Land is much better imo. It covers the brothers of Von Sydow as they seek to become gold prospectors and includes a very graphic fetus murdering scene involving natives.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Maybe overseas. Direct to video over here. LOL.

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

New Land is much better imo. It covers the brothers of Von Sydow as they seek to become gold prospectors and includes a very graphic fetus murdering scene involving natives.

Yes, there's more plot going on.....

The Fugitive Kind (1960) Steamy Drama - Transitional Noir

Poster.jpg

Directed by Sidney Lumet (12 Angry Men (1957), The Pawnbroker (1964), Serpico (1973),The Verdict (1982), Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)). Written by Tennessee Williams and Meade Roberts and based on a rewrite of a rewrite of a Williams' play . Cinematography was by Oscar winner Boris Kaufman who shot Vigo's  L'Atalante (1934). He helped to introduce neo-realistic style to American films, notably (On the Waterfront (1954), Baby Doll (1956), 12 Angry Men (1957), Splendor in the Grass (1961), and The Pawnbroker (1964)). Music was by Kenyon Hopkins who later provided the soundtrack for Mister Buddwing (1966). 

The film stars Marlon Brando as Valentine "Snakeskin" Xavier, Joanne Woodward as Carol Cutrere
Anna Magnani as Lady Torrance, Maureen Stapleton as Vee Talbot, Victor Jory as Jabe Torrance.
R. G. Armstrong as Sheriff Jordan Talbot, John Baragrey as David Cutrere, Virgilia Chew as Nurse Porter, Ben Yaffee as "Dog" Hamma, Joe Brown Jr. as "Pee Wee" Binnings, Madame Spivy as Ruby Lightfoot, Sally Gracie as Dolly Hamma, Lucille Benson as Beulah Binnings, and Emory Richardson as Uncle Pleasant, the Conjure Man. 

Most of the performances are brilliant or near so. Brando, Magnani, Stapelton, Jory, and Armstrong are spot on. With Jory being the most impressive. Woodward is stuck in what seems to be the Hollywood method acting standard crumbling "Southern Bell" mode, though she is a bonafide belle from Georgia, it's a minor flaw.  Actually filmed surprisingly in Milton, NY (opposite Poughkeepsie) and the Gold Medal Studios, Bronx, New York City. Screen caps from Criterion screener. Full review with some screencaps in Film Noir/Gangster 7/10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Orpheus Descending was the play, right?

First version Battle of Angels, second Orpheus Descending third The Fugitive Kind.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I determined to watch the whole six hours, starting with The Immigrants at 2 PM and straight onto The New Land at 4:30, but about 7 o'clock when the brother returned and began telling his story in fevered back flashes and dreams,  I had to give up. 

I understand why that would be the best part for a lot of people, but to me the tone and pacing was so different from the straight forward slow-paced story I had been following that I felt like a completely different movie had popped up.  I was also beyond sad for the poor young men. Robert with his perpetual pain and illness from the damaged ear, and his lonely friend who had always had such a sad life.  Watching them struggle in the desert was just too much.  So I turned it off then and I'm glad I missed the fetus murdering scene.    Maybe next time I'll be able to pick it up and watch the ending, without already watching five hours.  The two movies were certainly an awesome, worthwhile achievement.

21 Days (1940) 

21 Days Together Poster

Labeled as a British Film Noir. It's a pretty early entry sort of testing the waters for films to come. 21 Days comes in a box set below (Volume One),

Great British Movies - Film Noir [DVD] [1940]

with Hunted, Sapphire, So Long At The Fair, and Turn the Key Softly.

Directed by Basil Dean with  Vivien Leigh, Leslie Banks, Laurence Olivier, Robert Newton, and Francis L. Sullivan.

It's a sort of café au lait noir, it starts off dark. Larry (Olivier) and his gal pal Wanda (Leigh) are head over heels in love with each other. They meet for a date, grab the fixin's for an Italian dinner at a deli. When they reach Wanda's he light is suspiciously on. When they open her apartment door a man is there. When Larry asks who he is the man replies "Ask my wife." 

The husband demands his wife Wanda's money. Larry confront's him. He pulls a knife. They struggle. The man goes down hitting his head on the hearth. He's dead.

Larry is distraught and goes to visit his brother Kieth who is a judge. Larry tells him the details and Kieth to avoid scandal tells him to get rid of the body.

Larry sneaks him out of the apartment and dumps him in an archway leaning him up against an alcove. 

On his way back to Wanda's he meets a bum, a former preacher, who bums a cigarette from Larry. They chat a few minutes then Larry takes off but Larry accidentally dropped his gloves. The bum notices them eventually and puts them on. The bum also later discovers the body and robs it of its ring and money

Kieth instructs Larry to get ready to travel without Wanda. Wanda can follow later. Meanwhile the bobbies find the body and pick up the bum and accuse him of murder. The 21 days represents the number of days between the killing and the trial of the bum. 

Instead of splitting, Larry and Wand decide to stick around to makes sure an innocent man isn't convicted of the crime. Larry will confess if need be, but they feel that it most likely will not happen with the flimsy circumstantial evidence. 3/4 of the film is a light love story with Larry occasionally getting hallucinations of the innocent man. 

Larry and Wanda try and make the most of their 21 days together, if that's all they have. 

<spoilers>  

Of course the ex padre is found guilty and sentenced to hang. Larry heads to the police station to confess to the accidental killing. However the bum has a convenient heart attack and dies of natural causes. Wanda hears the news and runs to intercept Larry reaching him after a dramatic chase right at a police station. 

What's interesting is if this was an American Noir, the MPPC would usually not allow Larry to get away so Scott-free. 6/10

• Thanks 1

PS

Great British Movies - Film Noir [DVD] [1940]

You need a Region Free DVD player* for the above, they are all Region 2 DVDs. 

*Region Free players are all sold by third-party sellers, manufacturers like Sony, Samsung, etc. do not manufacture or market region free bluray/DVD players in the US. The third party sellers make the programming patch that converts the machines to play 1,2,3,4, and 5 DVD regions and A,B,C Blu regions.

For about $150-60 its one of the best purchases you can buy, opens up a lot of films for viewing.

1 hour ago, AndreaDoria said:

I determined to watch the whole six hours, starting with The Immigrants at 2 PM and straight onto The New Land at 4:30, but about 7 o'clock when the brother returned and began telling his story in fevered back flashes and dreams,  I had to give up. 

I understand why that would be the best part for a lot of people, but to me the tone and pacing was so different from the straight forward slow-paced story I had been following that I felt like a completely different movie had popped up.  I was also beyond sad for the poor young men. Robert with his perpetual pain and illness from the damaged ear, and his lonely friend who had always had such a sad life.  Watching them struggle in the desert was just too much.  So I turned it off then and I'm glad I missed the fetus murdering scene.    Maybe next time I'll be able to pick it up and watch the ending, without already watching five hours.  The two movies were certainly an awesome, worthwhile achievement.

I watched the two films on separate nights. The tone of the second one is what I prefer because the first one seemed a bit slow. Here is Liv on the Emigrants btw. She gives her thoughts on the movies and Troell.

I don't think the Indian attack scene is up on YouTube which is odd because I thought it was the most memorable part of New Land and would be the most discussed scene.

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You'd think with a title of "Terror in the Wax Museum", that Vincent Price would have been in it too!

• Haha 1

What I watched today, in order of preference:

The Jokers   (1967)  -  7/10

2707662cfccb5f90418ba1a3955ac08d.jpg

Mouchette  (1967)  -  7/10

Mouchette7.jpg

The Long Duel  (1967)  -  6/10

rHuHSru8YDBdOm9wbUt9RENn4XM.jpg

How I Won the War  (1967)  -  5/10

How-I-won-the-war-featured-e155881748611

Mosby's Marauders  (1967)  -  5/10

aVLAKhgBw82jtqfRndv5YrvNDK0.jpg

It!  (1967)  -  5/10

it+scan.JPG

Journey to the Center of Time  (1967)  -  2/10

imag008.jpg

• Like 1

The Seagull's Laughter (2001) This movie is almost too good to be true. A family member of an Icelandic village is returning after living with her husband in America. She tells that her husband died of a heart attack, "while I was cleaning the fridge." "You had a fridge?" says another. Yep, a comedy. Everybody is happy to see her and among them is a young cousin , Egga, a mischievous 12-year-old girl, who seems to regard this new family member with special fascination. On the one hand the new arrival "just seems" evil but on the other, a person she cannot help admiring. This older cousin is still young and coquettish, masterfully flirtatious, and endowed with charms galore. She meets someone but runs into trouble. Egga tries to save the situation by intercepting their letters and rewriting them (she is the courier). Egga exhibits another proclivity, spinning yarns and relating them to the village policeman (who reacts with bemused tolerance) implicating others (especially her cousin) in wrong doings, of which, however, there is almost certainly a measure of truth, exactly how much is unknown. There is a comic flair to all of this and some of it rather dark. These two cousins comprise a dominate thread of the story but other family members get their moments and there is a great deal of charm to it all. The events have a certain rollicking bluster. The ending is priceless. I can't believe how well this is all put together. I had to watch it twice.

/// 

• Like 3