Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Adua and her Friends (1960) Adua (Simone Signoret) and her friends are four prostitutes who are temporarily forced out of their jobs due to the closings of brothels in Italy. They decide to pool funds and open a restaurant with a plan to use upstairs rooms to eventually resume their professions. The plan seems to be going pretty well until a major complication sets in. Signoret, who is in charge of the operation, does a good job as do the other gals. Some little time is spent on how the girls interact with each other in their new preoccupations, as well as how each deal with a personal situation that the screenplay affords them. With all these pretty gals, the movie certainly needed some star power on the other side and the got Marcel Mastroianni, though in a role with limited screen time that is only marginally central to the plot. And he is outnumbered 4-1.

///

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, midwestan said:

You'd think with a title of "Terror in the Wax Museum", that Vincent Price would have been in it too!

The film copied HOUSE OF WAX so blatantly- The only plot point they didn’t use was that the wax dummies were actually human bodies underneath – That even if Vincent was approached, I bet he had the sense to say “no.”

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

What I watched today, in order of preference:

I'd like more elaboration, Lawrence. I know it's asking a lot, you often write so much detail about the movies you've seen. Just a little more of your impressions would be very helpful to decide whether to seek these films out. 

12 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'd like more elaboration, Lawrence. I know it's asking a lot, you often write so much detail about the movies you've seen. Just a little more of your impressions would be very helpful to decide whether to seek these films out. 

So all or nothing? 

It's been getting a bit tiresome writing them all when the inspiration isn't there. Plus there had been a lack of much feedback for the past few weeks, and what I was getting was largely negative, so I felt I was irritating people more than anything else. Perhaps my own disinterest was showing through in my comments. I'll just abstain from mentioning anything about my viewing habits for the time being,

P.S.: I just started a new year ('68), so I'll try posting longform again.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:00 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. YES ME TOO!!!!

2. "🎶MY TREE WILL NOT BE JUST ONE IN A ROW!!!!🎶🎶🎶"
(STARTS BANGING HEAD ON PIANO KEYS)

3. I am halfway through with IMPACT; QUATERMASS XPERIMENT was interesting...I am a somewhat begrudging HAMMER FAN, and it was interesting to see what was possibly the birth of three HAMMER HALLMARKS: BOMBASTIC SCORES THAT GRAB YOU BY THE SHOULDERS AND SHAKE YOU FORCEFULLY INTO SUBMISSION IN SPITE OF THE FACT THAT THERE IS VERY LITTLE ACTION ON THE SCREEN, LOTS OF FOLEY OF FEET ON STONE FLOORS and OBVIOUSLY DUBBED ACTRESSES...seriously, the actress playing the ASTRONAUT'S WIFE may as well have been dubbed by OLIVER REED it was so obvious.

4. THE GLASS KEY is a special film to me...more about that in a bit.

Brian Donlevy as a tyrant in "Beau Geste". Wow!

Watched all the films which I'd already seen but who cares, it was Brian Donlevy day.

Wonder if he and Neil Hamilton were friends? 

I dig "The Glass Key" too, LHF!

The Bamboo Saucer  (1968)  -  5/10

MV5BMmYzYmQ1ZDUtNmI1YS00ZjY0LWE2ZWUtN2Yx

Cold War science fiction with a group of U.S. scientists and experts sneaking into China to track down a suspected UFO. They run into a group of Soviets with the same intentions, so they all make an uneasy truce until they can discover the secrets of the suspected alien craft. Featuring John Ericson, Lois Nettleton, Bob Hastings, Bernard Fox, Vincent Beck, James Hong, Nan Leslie, and Dan Duryea in his final film. This was very low budget but better than expected, with some decent dialogue and a good cast. The effects are low-rent and the resolution a bit corny, but this would make for passable Saturday morning fare.

40157473160_140b142707_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Death by Hanging  (1968)  -  6/10

death_by_hanging.jpg

Japanese surrealist black comedy from director Nagisa Oshima. A Korean man (Do-yun Yu) has been convicted for rape and murder and sentenced to death by hanging. However, even after the full procedure is carried out, his body refuses to die, causing the officials in attendance to scramble to decide their next move. The condemned is alive but comatose, so they should revive him, right? But what if he doesn't recall his misdeeds? Would they be executing an "innocent" man? What if they try to get him to re-enact his crimes and accept his guilt? The serious subject matter quickly turns farcical, and I was rather amused for a while, but the film is at least half an hour too long, and the scenario runs out of steam long before the film ends.

DeathbyHanging2.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, laffite said:

Yay!

I can't tell if that's sarcasm!

By the way, have you seen La Collectionneuse? What did you think of it? How about Mouchette? I'm not sure why, but I feel like you're the person to ask about French films. I also watched The Two of Us, with Michel Simon, but I didn't post about that one.

I tried to watch I Remember Mama. The audio was so mushy I could not continue. I have very modest issues with my hearing. So I'm watching The Golden Girls on Hallmark Channel. I've been complaining to everyone for 12 years, and nothing gets better. This is a TCM issue as Comcast/Infinity has zero control.

I am in the middle of re-watching Beverly Hills, 90210.  I'm on Season 2. I watched this show during its original run with my parents back in the day.  Wednesdays at 8! Man despite his brooding nature and alcoholism, Dylan was hot! Be still my heart. RIP Luke Perry. 

I am planning on watching a movie later, probably either Lucky Me (with Doris Day) or Ride the Pink Horse (with Robert Montgomery) because they're both due at the library tomorrow and I can't renew them.  

I'm also trying to decide if I'm going to get up at 3am to start the Errol Flynn marathon with Footsteps in the Dark

• Like 2

The Exotic Ones aka The Monster and the Stripper  (1968)  -  3/10 or 8/10

d6061ae43036edf5fcda48a28e68b13a.jpg

Incredible exploitation oddity from writer-director Ron Ormond. He also co-stars as Nemo, a New Orleans nightclub owner and crime boss. After hearing about a monster lurking in the nearby swamps, he orders his henchmen to capture it and to add it to his club's stage revue, which mainly consist of strippers and one singer who does her white-girl-imitating-Motown best. With Jack Horton, Peggy Ann Price, June Ormond, Georgette Dante, and Sleepy LaBeef as the monster. This no-budget effort combines the best of the stripper-revue subgenre of skin-flick with bad comedy and a terrible monster played by 6'5'' rockabilly singer Sleepy LaBeef. The monster does a geek act on stage that I'm not entirely certain was faked. One stripper does a pasty-tassel-twirl act with the tassels on fire! This is available on YouTube in a pretty good looking print, so I recommend you gather the family and enjoy this one as soon as possible with as many people as possible.

MonsterAndTheStripper_web.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

By the way, have you seen La Collectionneuse? What did you think of it? How about Mouchette? I'm not sure why, but I feel like you're the person to ask about French films. I also watched The Two of Us, with Michel Simon, but I didn't post about that one.

I rather liked La Collectionneuse, though it's definitely not for all tastes, and Eric Rohmer will become a much better director. Guy tries to discourage his buddy from getting involved with a girl, saying that she is a "collector" of men. If I read the film correctly--and I'm not completely sure I do--there's no real evidence to back up his claim. This is part of Rohmer's Six Moral Tales, all of which (I believe) concern a man being tempted by a woman but ultimately refraining from getting involved with her. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I rather liked La Collectionneuse, though it's definitely not for all tastes, and Eric Rohmer will become a much better director. Guy tries to discourage his buddy from getting involved with a girl, saying that she is a "collector" of men. If I read the film correctly--and I'm not completely sure I do--there's no real evidence to back up his claim. This is part of Rohmer's Six Moral Tales, all of which (I believe) concern a man being tempted by a woman but ultimately refraining from getting involved with her. 

Yeah, I watched La Collectionneuse, as well as the other two I mentioned. I gave the Rohmer film a 5/10. His only other feature that I've seen is Suzanne's Career, which I gave a 6/10. I'll be watching a few more in the near future. I didn't post a review of La Collectionneuse, just a rating, so I was curious what others thought about it. I understood what Rohmer was saying, I think. He was critical of all three main characters, despite framing everything through the one character's point of view. I also know that it was somewhat improvisational, which would account for the weak dialogue. I'm not sure if the pseudo-intellectualism was meant to be taken seriously or as another example of the male characters' emptiness. I thought all three were rather terrible actors (as was the collector that came in for the last act), and all of the characters were vapid or tedious fools that I wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes with, but as I said, I think that may have been part of Rohmer's intent.

41 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Not sarcasm. I would prefer your comments. Sorry, should have been clearer. It was not meant to be ambiguous.

I am not necessarily the person to ask about French films. I wish I could claim expertise in that or any other subject, but alas ....

I note that the first two you mention are on the newly acquired (for me) Criterion Channel (which I am wild about) and will take the opportunity to watch. So I am glad you mentioned them, it will help my indecision on what to choose (as well as being flattered that you would solicit my opinion, ha).

There is something about Michel Simon that bothers me. I am chagrined to admit that it has something to do with his personal appearance. I have never seen anyone on screen with such unprepossessing features, including that face. I know, shallow of me. I am not convinced he is that great an actor. I didn't like him in L'Atalante (nor did I like the film) or Boudu Saved from Drowning (two that immediately come to mind) but he was fine in La Chienne, he was well-cast for that.

You helped me decide on the Criterion Channel with information you had about it and I am really enjoying it. There is something fragile about the streaming process that has caused me great disappointment. I find that navigating a movie via the progress bar is not recommended. If I do that I find the movie will freeze up every few minutes after that. I then find I must restart the computer and start over. I can, however, pause and unpause without problems and I'm pretty grateful for that. I never had that problem with streaming before. My hard drive is new and I believe my computer is fast enough to avoid these problems. Have you had any issues like that? Thanks.

One final note on Criterion. I noticed to my inexpressible joy (Oh raptures!) that they have La Nuit de Varennes, which I have seen twice (of late on C) and will probably go back for more. I saw this when it was first released in '82 and thought it a very good film, but it has since grown to be in the running for my favorite film ever. I hadn't seen it for ages because it has never been transferred to DVD (I had a VHS that I wore out), at least to my knowledge. You may know more about this since I see on the board that you keep up with things like that.

Now if they could just get Allonsanfan. Never satisfied.

///

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, laffite said:

Not sarcasm. I would prefer your comments. Sorry, should have been clearer. It was not meant to be ambiguous.

I am not necessarily the person to ask about French films. I wish I could claim expertise in that or any other subject, but alas ....

I note that the first two you mention are on the newly acquired (for me) Criterion Channel (which I am wild about) and will take the opportunity to watch. So I am glad you mentioned them, it will help my indecision on what to choose (as well as being flattered that you would solicit my opinion, ha).

There is something about Michel Simon that bothers me. I am chagrined to admit that it has something to do with his personal appearance. I have never seen anyone on screen with such unprepossessing features, including that face. I know, shallow of me. I am not convinced he is that great an actor. I didn't like him in L'Atalante (nor did I like the film) or Boudu Saved from Drowning (two that immediately come to mind) but he was fine in La Chienne, he was well-cast for that.

You helped me decide on the Criterion Channel with information you had about it and I am really enjoying it. There is something fragile about the streaming process that has caused me great disappointment. I find that navigating a movie via the progress bar is not recommended. If I do that I find the movie will freeze up every few minutes after that. I then find I must restart the computer and start over. I can, however, pause and unpause without problems and I'm pretty grateful for that. I never had that problem with streaming before. My hard drive is new and I believe my computer is fast enough to avoid these problems. Have you had any issues like that? Thanks.

One final note on Criterion. I noticed to my inexpressible joy (Oh raptures!) that they have La Nuit de Varennes, which I have seen twice (of late on C) and will probably go back for more. I saw this when it was first released in '82 and thought it a very good film, but it has since grown to be in the running for my favorite film ever. I hadn't seen it for ages because it has never been transferred to DVD (I had a VHS that I wore out), at least to my knowledge. You may know more about this since I see on the board that you keep up with things like that.

Now if they could just get Allonsanfan. Never satisfied.

:lol: I know what you mean about Simon. His is a most un-cinematic visage. However, he's grown on me over time. I, too, wasn't that thrilled with L'Atalante, but I liked BouduLa Chienne, and The Train. I recently enjoyed him in La poison, as well. 

I'm glad you're enjoying The Criterion Channel, despite your tech issues. I haven't had anything happening like you speak of, but I also watch via the app on an Amazon Fire TV device, and not on my laptop, so the software/tech may be different (I'm not too knowledgeable in that regard). 

La Nuit de Varennes has not yet been released on disc, as far as I know. I heard about the film from a few people on here, so when I first got FilmStruck, the predecessor to the Criterion Channel, that was the first film that I watched. I liked it quite a bit. I fully expected to see Criterion release it on disc, but they haven't as of yet. 

Frankenstein  (1968)  -  6/10

victor&being.jpg

Another adaptation of Mary Shelley's novel, this time by the BBC for their series Mystery and Imagination. The story is condensed to fit the 70 minute format, while the most notable production twist is casting Ian Holm as both the "natural philosopher" Victor Frankenstein and as his monstrous creation. Holm is a perfect fit for the brilliant and obsessive Victor, but he seems an odd choice for the creature, although the dual casting plays into Victor's inherent narcissism. With Neil Stacy, Sarah Badel, Meg Wynn Owen, Richard Vernon, Frank Berry, and Sam Burston. I wouldn't rate this with the best adaptations, but it's far from the worst. A young Kenneth Branagh was reportedly very impressed with this as a youth, and he insisted that Holm join the cast for the 1994 film version.

Source: YouTube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

:lol: I know what you mean about Simon. His is a most un-cinematic visage. However, he's grown on me over time. I, too, wasn't that thrilled with L'Atalante, but I liked BouduLa Chienne, and The Train. I recently enjoyed him in La poison, as well. 

I'm glad you're enjoying The Criterion Channel, despite your tech issues. I haven't had anything happening like you speak of, but I also watch via the app on an Amazon Fire TV device, and not on my laptop, so the software/tech may be different (I'm not too knowledgeable in that regard). 

La Nuit de Varennes has not yet been released on disc, as far as I know. I heard about the film from a few people on here, so when I first got FilmStruck, the predecessor to the Criterion Channel, that was the first film that I watched. I liked it quite a bit. I fully expected to see Criterion release it on disc, but they haven't as of yet. 

Yes la Nuit de Varennes is very good ifeel so -so about Michel Simon but I must rely on Sacha Guitry,as a prologue to La Poison he introduces all the cast and the techs of Simon,Guitry saisd you are the greatest living actor,we cannot see when you stop being yourself and you acted,we cannot see the welding something like that a great compliment anyway.

I saw La mort de LOUIS XIV(death of … )2016 last week very good, with jean pierre léaud presented at Cannes

another good one  from 2019 I think Ils ont jugés La Reine a tv film but high quality with real documents and very good acting.

• Like 1

Deep Blue Sea 2  (2018)  -  3/10

220px-Deep_Blue_Sea_2_cover.jpg

Arriving a mere 20 years after the marginally-successful first film, this is more of a very cheap, poorly cast remake than a sequel. A group of scientists and technicians travel to a deep sea research station owned by obnoxious billionaire Carl Durant (Michael Beach), where they are working on genetically-altered bull sharks. The highly intelligent sharks soon start attacking the station and chomping down on the unlucky people. With Danielle Savre and Rob Mayes. Beach is the only cast member that I've even heard of. This was shot in South Africa on a very meager budget, with Warner Brothers intending this to be a direct-to-disc or TV flick. It's awful.

Source: SyFy Channel, of course

deepbluesea2_pic.jpg

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

220px-Deep_Blue_Sea_2_cover.jpg

I remember seeing the original version at the show with a friend. The main scene we enjoyed was when a pair of sharks made a wishbone out of Samuel L. Jackson.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Arriving a mere 20 years after the marginally-successful first film, this is more of a very cheap, poorly cast remake than a sequel. A group of scientists and technicians travel to a deep sea research station owned by obnoxious billionaire Carl Durant (Michael Beach), where they are working on genetically-altered bull sharks. The highly intelligent sharks soon start attacking the station and chomping down on the unlucky people. With Danielle Savre and Rob Mayes. Beach is the only cast member that I've even heard of. This was shot in South Africa on a very meager budget, with Warner Brothers intending this to be a direct-to-disc or TV flick. It's awful.

I'm on Warner's customer-survey list, and remember getting a focus-group question before it came out, "Would you buy a direct-video sequel to Deep Blue Sea if it had more campy tongue-in-cheek humor?"

Let's see:  Campy, tongue-in-cheek low-budget direct-video shark movies, that eventually play on SyFy...I WONDER what Warner had in mind, or who they were jealously hoping to imitate.  😓

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

P.S.: I just started a new year ('68), so I'll try posting longform again.

Yes!

I look at your reviews as taking a bullet for the rest of us especially on the lousy films and finding possible diamonds in the rough on others.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Exotic Ones aka The Monster and the Stripper  (1968)  -  3/10 or 8/10

d6061ae43036edf5fcda48a28e68b13a.jpg

Incredible exploitation oddity from writer-director Ron Ormond. He also co-stars as Nemo, a New Orleans nightclub owner and crime boss. After hearing about a monster lurking in the nearby swamps, he orders his henchmen to capture it and to add it to his club's stage revue, which mainly consist of strippers and one singer who does her white-girl-imitating-Motown best. With Jack Horton, Peggy Ann Price, June Ormond, Georgette Dante, and Sleepy LaBeef as the monster. This no-budget effort combines the best of the stripper-revue subgenre of skin-flick with bad comedy and a terrible monster played by 6'5'' rockabilly singer Sleepy LaBeef. The monster does a geek act on stage that I'm not entirely certain was faked. One stripper does a pasty-tassel-twirl act with the tassels on fire! This is available on YouTube in a pretty good looking print, so I recommend you gather the family and enjoy this one as soon as possible with as many people as possible.

MonsterAndTheStripper_web.jpg

Sleepy LaBeef. I had never heard of him before and my initial thought was that you were pulling our leg with that name. But a quick Internet search set me straight. My apologies for ever doubting you! 😀

• Haha 2

WE'RE FINALLY GETTING some long overdue rain in my neck of the woods, so I had an IRENE DUNNE TRIPLE FEATURE, she is one of my ABSOLUTE favorites.

dunne-irene-show-boat_01.jpg

Started with SHOWBOAT (1936)- I've seen it before and in lieu of going on about the various details with the production and actors, i really have single out the camera work of JAMES WHALE- he really knew how to move a camera about! I love the opening credits procession with paper cutouts bearing the names of the crew and actors and the quick succession of jump cuts in the beginning which zoom in with increasing focus on the SHOWBOAT PADDLE, always turning, always churning.

edit- it bugs me that ALAN JONES'S CHARACTER TURNS out to be such a rat bastard (and is forgiven) and HELEN VINSON'S character, while hating life, is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT TO HATE HIM.

1933-anne-vickers.jpg

Then I watched ANN VICKERS (1933)- which I had never seen before. I'm glad there are still nice little Precodes out there for me to stumble over and be STUNNED BY. This film, while uneven and mawkish in moments, was a fascinator.

SPOILERS SORT OF (not with the ending, just two big plot points, WHICH I THINK IF YOU KNOW BEFOREHAND WILL MAKE YOU REALLY WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE ALL THE MORE...BUT go on to the next review below if you must!😞

IRENE is a social worker who has a tryst with a soldier on his way to WWI, she becomes pregnant and with the help of her aunt, who is a Doctor and is PLAYED BY EDNA MAE OLIVER!!!!! HAS AN ABORTION IN CUBA. It doesn't STATE THIS OUTRIGHT, but at the same time, it's right there in details on the screen.  Later on in the movie, she has an affair with a married judge played by WALTER HUSTON and has HIS ILLEGITIMATE CHILD.

Holy ****, right?

I bet little old ladies expecting something lavender and lacey from THE LADY GANDHI OF THE WEEPERS we reaching for the smelling salts and chasing down the managment of their local BIJOUS with purses and umbrellas a-swinging at the matinee for this one!

A GREAT CHOICE FOR A WOMEN'S STUDIES COURSE!!!

When-Tomorrow-Comes-1939.jpg

....and then I watched WHEN TOMORROW COMES (1939)- a film I do not think I have heard of until the HITS AND MISSES THREAD highlighted it. it's a somewhat rushed reteaming of BOYER AND DUNNE in a movie that is pretty much LOVE AFFAIR, IN NAME ONLY, ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO with a little pro-union sentiment thrown in as well. A strange but interesting film, BARBARA O'NEIL, who I LOVE from ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO shows up as BOYER'S wife who may or may not be INSANE. Apparently this was based on a novel by JAMES M CAIN and started a copyright case because he felt they stole a scene from one of his other novels (SERENADE- which for the record, is excellent.) it's nice to see a UNIVERSAL like this on TCM, even if there was no closed captioning and the print was not great, the faces were quite fuzzy in some scenes and the film had some stabilization issues. also there was a split second where the print they used went COMPLETELY RED, I've never seen anything like that happen before. IRENE wore some HAUTE FASHIONS for a NYC waitress; in one scene I SWEAR SHE WEARS A DRESS with a slit in the BACK ALL THE WAY TO HER WAIST.

AS AN ASIDE ON ALL THREE FILMS- According to wiki and imdb, Irene Dunne was a conservative Catholic Republican, at least later on in life, so it FASCINATES ME ALL THE MORE THAT SHE GIVES 110% TO THIS MATERIAL, a lot of which was REALLY PUSHING THE ENVELOPE FOR THE TIME, and in the case of ANN VICKERS, is STILL pretty EYEBROW RAISING.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2