Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

48 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the TV SHOW THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN which- in spite of having its fans- was THE WORST SHOW ON TV AT THE TIME

Oh come on it was a hoot.

I got a kick out of the running gag about them bringing home pizza, and how "the pizza parlor always got it wrong." The aliens would invariably carry the pizza box under there arms. Also William Shatner as THE BIG GIANT HEAD, and his white trash "Queen of the Universe."

• Thanks 1

Continuing my survey of HBO films...

Perfect Witness Poster

Perfect Witness (1989) A fairly good crime drama starring Brian Dennehy, Aidan Quinn, Stockard Channing, it rated about 6-7/10

7 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Oh come on it was a hoot.

I got a kick out of the running gag about them bringing home pizza, and how "the pizza parlor always got it wrong." The aliens would invariably carry the pizza box under there arms. Also William Shatner as THE BIG GIANT HEAD, and his white trash "Queen of the Universe."

while I personally never saw the charm of THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN, I STILL REMEMBER HOW MANY PEOPLE LOVED AND QUOTED THAT SHOW back when it was HUGE in the late 90's...and it still gets the occasional reference or mention today.

So I just chalk it up to some personal failing on my part and admit I must be missing SOMETHING

(Still refuse to budge in re: FAMILY GUY though)

10 hours ago, hamradio said:

Finally got around to watch "Braveheart" (1995) Sunday night

A friend whose opinion I respect really speaks glowingly. I said, "Really?" I am immediately suspicious of any Best Picture Award (it was Dances with Wolves that made me that way) and Mel Gibson was acting so like such a futz back then, I happily excluded it from my mental movie shelf. I might reconsider. You seem to like it ... sort of.

14 minutes ago, laffite said:

A friend whose opinion I respect really speaks glowingly. I said, "Really?" I am immediately suspicious of any Best Picture Award (it was Dances with Wolves that made me that way) and Mel Gibson was acting so like such a futz back then, I happily excluded it from my mental movie shelf. I might reconsider. You seem to like it ... sort of.

I waited 24 years, lol. Was interested in the story of William Wallace.  

51mj8kz+SdL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Films like "Braveheart" and "300" is a mix of history and fiction (what else is new).

Some seems to think Mel gave a good performance.

A monument of Mel Gibson in the guise of Sir William Wallace, Stirling, Scotland, UK 

uma-estatua-de-mel-gibson-sob-o-disfarce

On 9/2/2019 at 2:51 PM, TomJH said:

Stuart Margolin made a marvelous contribution to The Rockford Files as a despicable coniving little weaselly con artist, and more than a bit of a coward, who would leave Jimmy Rockford out to dry any time it served his purpose. The actor was oily and funny simultaneously in the role of Angel Martin, and had a gift for dialogue delivery. The only question was why Rockford continued to put up with him.

Margolin, by the way, had earlier been featured in another television series starring James Garner, Nichols. After Garner's death Margolin said that he had been better to him than any other man outside of his father.

hqdefault.jpg

Margolin was also a recurring character in Bret Maverick, another Garner production.  I have seen the Nichols episodes in past year or so, but not really impressed.

Margolin should have gotten an Emmy for most "interesting" hair while in Rockford.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

If they could give Emmys for Emmy speeches, he'd've gotten my vote (even though CANDACE BERGEN would probably win because it was 90'S EMMY LAW that she had to win every time she was nominated)

Candice was on a bit of a run there for a while. 5 Emmys for the first 7 years of Murphy Brown (which she was very good in). After that, to give others a chance, she asked her name to be removed from the ballot.....And then Helen Hunt won 4 years in a row for Mad About You. Candice did have the record for most Emmys for anybody in a single role until Julia Louis-Dreyfuss won 6 in a row for Veep on HBO. If Ms. Louis-Dreyfuss wins the category again this year (she most likely will), she will set the most Emmys record, taking the title away from Cloris Leachman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Candice was on a bit of a run there for a while. 5 Emmys for the first 7 years of Murphy Brown (which she was very good in). After that, to give others a chance, she asked her name to be removed from the ballot.....And then Helen Hunt won 4 years in a row for Mad About You. Candice did have the record for most Emmys for anybody in a single role until Julia Louis-Dreyfuss won 6 in a row for Veep on HBO. If Ms. Louis-Dreyfuss wins the category again this year (she most likely will), she will set the most Emmys record, taking the title away from Cloris Leachman.

Didn't know Cloris Leachman had the most Emmys and over a 40 year period,  starting with MTM and her last in 2011 for Raising Hope.

Impressive!     

• Thanks 1

Of all of the major entertainment awards (Emmys, Oscars, Tonys, Grammys), the Emmys have the worst reputation, and partially for the fact that they seem to get stuck into a rut, awarding the same actor over and over again, while consistently failing to recognize the more innovative performances and programs. They don't always get it wrong, but they play it too safe too often. 

Personally, the Grammys mean even less to me (not that any of them are actually important parts of my life), but I don't care for nor follow pop music, while the Tonys mean absolutely nothing to me, as I'll never see anything that they mention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Of all of the major entertainment awards (Emmys, Oscars, Tonys, Grammys), the Emmys have the worst reputation,

I TOTALLY HEAR AND UNDERSTAND YOU ON THAT, but I dunno, THE GRAMMYS have been SO SPECTACULARLY WHACKTACULAR since GOD WAS A BOY. like, seriously, it's genuinely HILARIOUS to look at the history of who won what in what years and what did not win- ESPECIALLY BEST NEW ARTIST- which in terms of being A REAL SHOWBIZ KISS OF DEATH is right up there with BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS.

I also really think THE OSCARS are getting to a point where they're still IMPORTANT to some, but their reputation is definitely not what it once was.

• Like 1

but yes, THE WORST THING about THE EMMYS is the habit they have of giving it to the some damn people EVERY SINGLE YEAR, ALTHOUGH, the voting system is peculair- you win an EMMY for ONE SINGLE EPISODE OF A SHOW that is SUBMITTED, not for the whole season run...maybe that factors in to why people so often win EVERY SINGLE DAMN YEAR

54 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I have long believed that Emmys, Oscars and other awards should not be repeatable.  Say, a winner has to sit out for the nest two or three years.

• Thanks 1

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

I TOTALLY HEAR AND UNDERSTAND YOU ON THAT, but I dunno, THE GRAMMYS have been SO SPECTACULARLY WHACKTACULAR since GOD WAS A BOY. like, seriously, it's genuinely HILARIOUS to look at the history of who won what in what years and what did not win- ESPECIALLY BEST NEW ARTIST- which in terms of being A REAL SHOWBIZ KISS OF DEATH is right up there with BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS.

I also really think THE OSCARS are getting to a point where they're still IMPORTANT to some, but their reputation is definitely not what it once was.

The Grammy I can't fathom is "Don't Worry Be Happy" winning for song of the year in 1988. Seriously?!?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Didn't know Cloris Leachman had the most Emmys and over a 40 year period,  starting with MTM and her last in 2011 for Raising Hope.

Impressive!     

Clorox Bleachman rules!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

but yes, THE WORST THING about THE EMMYS is the habit they have of giving it to the some damn people EVERY SINGLE YEAR, ALTHOUGH, the voting system is peculair- you win an EMMY for ONE SINGLE EPISODE OF A SHOW that is SUBMITTED, not for the whole season run...maybe that factors in to why people so often win EVERY SINGLE DAMN YEAR

I still sometimes wonder about that system. A few years ago, after that miniseries Feud about Bette and Joan was over, it was revealed that Jessica Lange was put up for the Oscars of 1962 episode. Admitedyl, that was a big episode, but if anybody should have been placed up for that episode it was Judy Davis (who was indeed). Jessica should have been up for the last episode, which was one of her best performances.

Just now, CinemaInternational said:

I still sometimes wonder about that system. A few years ago, after that miniseries Feud about Bette and Joan was over, it was revealed that Jessica Lange was put up for the Oscars of 1962 episode. Admitedyl, that was a big episode, but if anybody should have been placed up for that episode it was Judy Davis (who was indeed). Jessica should have been up for the last episode, which was one of her best performances.

I never warmed up to FEUD.

4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The Grammy I can't fathom is "Don't Worry Be Happy" winning for song of the year in 1988. Seriously?!?!

I KNOW, RIGHT?

so much cocaine in the 80's is the only explanation.

59 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I have watched all the episodes of Veep.  Not sure why Louis-Dreyfus won so many times, especially for years 3-6.  7 is better, but still not great.  Have seen Louis-Dreyfus in a lot, but think she did better in Christmas Vacation than anything else.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I have long believed that Emmys, Oscars and other awards should not be repeatable.  Say, a winner has to sit out for the nest two or three years.

eh, but sometimes A PERFORMANCE IS JUST THAT GOOD OR IMPORTANT.

At least in terms of film.

with TV- absolutely, spread the wealth around.

New Artist has sometimes worked for some, although its pretty apparent that more of the famous ones that won the prize were in earlier decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_New_Artist

I KNOW, RIGHT?

so much cocaine in the 80's is the only explanation.

Just for a little taste of reality, music videos for the 4 songs that Don't Worry Be Happy beat out for the top prize of Song of the year in 1988.....

I feel that when Don't Worry be Happy won that prize, the other n ominees should have started belting out an a capella version of this other 1988 hit.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Maybe then, that way, Angela Lansbury could have finally won for Murder She Wrote.....

30 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

They don't give awards for "Best song that's greatness will last for decades". "Don't Worry Be Happy" was a popular ditty in its day. Lots of songs are red hot then fizzle out and sound embarrassing years later. Sad thing is when that artist performs decades later and people still want to hear it .

31 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Then you wouldn't have the best song. Some artists have the ability to capture a moment longer than a year. Robeta Flack wouldn't have been able to win song of the year back to back for "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" in 1973 and "Killing Me Softly with His Song" in 1974.

Just one example.