Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Watching 'Buffy' has sent me into a whirlwind of trying to watch all the campy/kitschy 80s-90s movies that I either haven't seen, or haven't seen for a long time.  In addition to 'Buffy,' I also borrowed the following: Heathers, Adventures in Babysitting, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead, and Party Girl

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Watching 'Buffy' has sent me into a whirlwind of trying to watch all the campy/kitschy 80s-90s movies that I either haven't seen, or haven't seen for a long time.  In addition to 'Buffy,' I also borrowed the following: Heathers, Adventures in Babysitting, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead, and Party Girl

I've seen Heathers a few times. Speaking of "darker versions", that was the darker version of an 80's teen comedy. I liked bits of it, but Slater's bad Jack Nicholson impression was grating.

I saw Adventures in Babysitting on HBO a looong time ago, and don't remember much, beyond Vincent D'onofrio as "Thor". 

I saw Party Girl when it first came out on video. It was at the height of Parker Posey's reign as indie-film "It"-girl. I don't recall much from it, but if you like her, you should like the movie. I seem to recall there being a TV show based on it that came out later and was canceled quickly.

I never saw Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter Is Dead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've seen Heathers a few times. Speaking of "darker versions", that was the darker version of an 80's teen comedy. I liked bits of it, but Slater's bad Jack Nicholson impression was grating.

I saw Adventures in Babysitting on HBO a looong time ago, and don't remember much, beyond Vincent D'onofrio as "Thor". 

I saw Party Girl when it first came out on video. It was at the height of Parker Posey's reign as indie-film "It"-girl. I don't recall much from it, but if you like her, you should like the movie. I seem to recall there being a TV show based on it that came out later and was canceled quickly.

I never saw Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter Is Dead.

I've seen Heathers before too.  I like it, I think it's funny.  If the Buffy TV show is in that same vein, then I suppose I would enjoy it.

If I saw Adventures in Babysitting, it was a LONG time ago as well. I remembered Elisabeth Shue from her appearance as Ralph Macchio's girlfriend in The Karate Kid

I've never seen Party Girl.  I like Parker Posey from her appearances in Christopher Guest's mockumentaries. She's hilarious in Best in Show.  "That is a parrot in a bee costume." 

Much like Adventures in Babysitting, If I saw Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead, it was a LONG time ago. I know Christina Applegate is in it and I remember the VHS cover from my weekly trips to the video store back in the day.

My husband just had me put holds on Big Trouble in Little China and Roadhouse. Lol. 

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

The BBC America channel yesterday had a 50th anniversary marathon of MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS.  A few hours of their TV episodes ending with the movies THE LIFE OF BRIAN and MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL.

Haven't seen those flicks in several years and had a blast seeing them again.  Though not always, Sundays are often drab television-wise.  Was a nice way to spend the day.

Sepiatone

PS:  See?  It IS possible to do this in less than 20 paragraphs!  ;) :D 

What's that supposed to mean?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

What's that supposed to mean?

We LIKE writing book-reports about our movies. :)

Remember in fourth grade, when you had to turn in a two-page one by Monday, and you couldn't think of more than a two sentence paragraph?  Now we're actually doing it for fun, in our spare time!

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Speaking as self-proclaimed 80's defender to the younger kids, are there any other campy-kitschy 80's-90's movies on your list you need a warning/recommendation beforehand?

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

We LIKE writing book-reports about our movies. :)

Remember in fourth grade, when you had to turn in a two-page one by Monday, and you couldn't think of more than a two sentence paragraph?  Now we're actually doing it for fun, in our spare time!

Speaking as self-proclaimed 80's defender to the younger kids, are there any other campy-kitschy 80's-90's movies on your list you need a warning/recommendation beforehand?

I don’t need any warnings, I’ll watch anything. If you have any further recommendations, I’ll consider them. I’ve since put “Reality Bites” and “Grosse Pointe Blank” on hold too. 

Many of the 90s films I saw the first go-around when they were new. 

I really like Nuns on the Run.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I don’t need any warnings, I’ll watch anything.

I am very sorry to say that it is my nature to take such things as a challenge!

These movies carry both my recommendations as I love them very much but also my warning that they clearly will not be to the taste of all people:

A short movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fprVONwmYnc 

A feature-length movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFW8kJ9Y1tM

Neither contains nudity, gore nor overt violence. The first does demonstrate various forms of drug use. The second may twist perceptions of acceptable human behaviour. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I really like Nuns on the Run.

Say, wasn't that the sequel to The Nuns of Navarone  ???

(...and speakin' o' which...whatever became of that old "20th Century Vole" thread anyway?!)

;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

(...and speakin' o' which...whatever became of that old "20th Century Vole" thread anyway?!)

;)

It is part of the trilogy of: The Guns of Navarone (1961), Nuns on the Run (1990) and Nude Nuns with Big Guns (2010) which is considered the epic example of a studio changing directions artistically and then simply cashing in anyway they can.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

No it was a prequel Nunsense (1993)

16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don’t need any warnings, I’ll watch anything. If you have any further recommendations, I’ll consider them. I’ve since put “Reality Bites” and “Grosse Pointe Blank” on hold too. 

Many of the 90s films I saw the first go-around when they were new. 

GROSSE POINTE BLANK isn't too bad.  We watched it because..

1.  My wife was a "casual" John Cusak fan.

2.  We live not too far from the city of Grosse Pointe, the biggest separation being the tax brackets. And...

3. We were disappointed that the aerial footage of Lakeshore drive was the ONLY footage of the actual Grosse Pointe in the movie.

Sepiatone 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 11:01 AM, speedracer5 said:

I've seen the first 3 you mentioned, speedy, and I enjoyed all 3 of them. Did you know that the oldest son in "Don't Tell Mom" is Jackie Coogan's grandson? I didn't until I watched that one. Nice picks! I'll have to watch "Party Girl." 

Nightmare in the Sun (1965) 

Nightmare in the Sun Poster

Directors: John Derek and Marc Lawrence starring quite the cast, John Derek, Aldo Ray, Arthur O'Connell, Ursula Andress, Sammy Davis Jr., Allyn Joslyn, Keenan Wynn, George Tobias, John Marley, Robert Duvall, and Rchard Jaeckel. 

Cheapo flick 6/10

from IMDb - A young man hitchhiking through the desert is picked up by a beautiful woman. They have an affair, and he finds out that she’s married. The consequences of the affair lead to murder and blackmail. 

The Outcasts of Poker Flat (1952)

The Outcasts of Poker Flat Poster

The first ten/twelve minutes are a great example of a Noir Western then the aesthetic changes into of all things The Hateful Eight the "outcasts" caught in a snowbound cabin in the mountains (unfortunately) with out Tarantino's dialogue.

Directed by Joseph M. Newman. Cinematography by Joseph LaShelle  starring Anne Baxter, Dale Robertson, Miriam Hopkins, and Cameron Mitchell.   

Watched a pristine print 6/10

• Like 1

"Cleopatra" (1912)   What in the hell did I just watched? :blink:

This has to be the most poorly produced silent film ever!. Keeps changing the tint which suppose to be to reflect the time of day or scenery i.e.  blue is for night.  Movie (what a joke) set suited for a high school play. A slave who doesn't know how to use a fan. Extras just standing around with no purpose except being human statues.

One of the title cards....Antony ordered his ships to turn around   Ships? What ships?

And finally the music score, just awful - from weird noises to SINGING!

The real Cleopatra is turning over in her tomb!

Just to think, this thing was spared nitrate decomp or a worthy fire.

Yikes.

bara3.jpg

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

One of the title cards....Antony ordered his ships to turn around   Ships? What ships?

Probably alluding to....

The Battle of Actium was the decisive confrontation of the Final War of the Roman Republic, a naval engagement between Octavian and the combined forces of Mark Antony and Cleopatra on 2 September 31 BC, on the Ionian Sea near the promontory of Actium, in the Roman province of Epirus Vetus in Greece. Octavian's fleet was commanded by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, while Antony's fleet was supported by the power of Queen Cleopatra of Ptolemaic Egypt. (Wiki)

Watched Crashing Las Vegas on Saturday with the Bowery Boys. Certainly not one of their finest, but in these silly films there is usually at least one hilarious line that sets me off, dumb as it may be. Sach is set up to believe he pushed a man out of a window on the 21st floor of a building. Sach says, "21 stories? Gee, I wonder if he got hurt?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

"Cleopatra" (1912)   What in the hell did I just watched? :blink:

bara3.jpg

Sorry, ham, but I think you have a photograph of the wrong actress here, for the 1912 version starred Helen Gardner, not Theda Bara (as pictured).

Here's Helen:

333823a2c47b864cedb814d666c4675e.jpg

The 1917 Bara version of Cleopatra is one of the lost silents, unfortunately (the last print destroyed in a 1930s fire). All we have left from the film are some stills, as well as a few seconds of surviving film:

theda+bara+7.jpg

theda+bara+9.jpg

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Probably alluding to....

The Battle of Actium was the decisive confrontation of the Final War of the Roman Republic, a naval engagement between Octavian and the combined forces of Mark Antony and Cleopatra on 2 September 31 BC, on the Ionian Sea near the promontory of Actium, in the Roman province of Epirus Vetus in Greece. Octavian's fleet was commanded by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, while Antony's fleet was supported by the power of Queen Cleopatra of Ptolemaic Egypt. (Wiki)

Wasn't referring to history, just the none to be seen ships in the film.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Sorry, ham, but I think you have a photograph of the wrong actress here, for the 1912 version starred Helen Gardner, not Theda Bara (as pictured).

Here's Helen:

333823a2c47b864cedb814d666c4675e.jpg

The 1917 Bara version of Cleopatra is one of the lost silents, unfortunately (the last print destroyed in a 1930s fire). All we have left from the film are some stills, as well as a few seconds of surviving film:

theda+bara+7.jpg

theda+bara+9.jpg

Wonder was it just as bad? What I gather from Theda's peacock dress, don't think I'm missing anything.

7 hours ago, hamradio said:

This has to be the most poorly produced silent film ever!.

Maybe not. It just happened to be made in 1912. Many silent films have those various tints throughout. I admit they irritating. I used to adjust TV setting to BW to get rid of them. I haven't seen this one but it's possible that referring to something not seen (like the ships) might not be such a shock with a oldie-oldie silent like this. Just an intuition on my part in this case. But generally I wouldn't be asking perfection for a movie that was made in 1912.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

I finally watched this classic sci-fi film months after we had the thread about it.  I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but I wanted to give this film a chance because of its status as being an acclaimed sci-fi film.  I like Michael Rennie, though I've only seen him in one other film: Dangerous Crossing. I also like Patricia Neal, I thought she was excellent in A Face in the Crowd and Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed this film.  Aside from the alien, robot and space ship, the film didn't read like a typical science fiction film that bores me to tears. It had many noir and dramatic elements. I thought Rennie was fantastic as Klaatu and I especially enjoyed his scenes with Billy Gray.  I'm not a big fan of child actors, but I really like Gray. I recognized him immediately as the actor who plays Doris Day's brother, Wesley, in On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon.  Gray is one of the best parts of both of these films.  I also liked the other supporting cast members: Sam Jaffe (whom I recognized from The Asphalt Jungle), Francis "Aunt Bee" Bavier who looked younger, but sounded exactly like the Aunt Bee we all know and love. I also loved how bossy she was.  I kept hoping for Andy Griffith to walk in and tell her "Just call the man!" Hugh Marlowe whom I recognized as Lloyd from All About Eve rounded out the cast as Neal's boyfriend. 

I was fascinated by the spaceship and robot. I loved the seamless look of the spaceship. I loved the look of the robot. The special effects were excellent. I also loved Rennie's sparkly alien outfit. 

The best thing about this film is the message. I took the message as a plea for world peace in the context of the Cold War. The mass media's fear mongering tactics used to increase xenophobia--the fear of outsiders.  This theme is very relevant today.  When Klaatu emerges from his space ship, the humans' first instinct is violence. Throughout the entire film, a manhunt is underway, looking for Klaatu.  Just the presence of the spaceship and the robot is worrisome for the humans. The theme of using violence as a means for peace seems very contradictory and I liked that Klaatu pointed that out.  I also liked the idea that even if only a small portion of people are utilizing weaponry to try and establish dominance, the violence affects everyone--which is mainly what Klaatu is concerned about.

This was a very powerful film, one that I enjoyed very much.

I also loved this poster for the film.  In no way, shape, or form does this slip-clad woman ever appear in this film. What's with the gorilla hand clutching the earth? I want this poster for my house!

Image result for the day the earth stood still

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, laffite said:

Maybe not. It just happened to be made in 1912. Many silent films have those various tints throughout. I admit they irritating. I used to adjust TV setting to BW to get rid of them. I haven't seen this one but it's possible that referring to something not seen (like the ships) might not be such a shock with a oldie-oldie silent like this. Just an intuition on my part in this case. But generally I wouldn't be asking perfection for a movie that was made in 1912.

There were well made films during the 1912 time period i.e. "Falling Leaves".

I have never seen a constantly changing multi-tint movie like THAT before. The slightly change of tint in other silents don't stand out so dramatically, generally shifts from near B&W to brown and white. 

Tinted film suppose to be properly used.

Blue to imitate a night scene like in "The Phantom Carriage"

v1.bjs1NjMxMzQ7ajsxODE4NjsxMjAwOzE5MjA7M

Red for fire.

dying-light-2_hero.jpg?itok=9m6DFkv4&tim

Green to reflect the ghoulish atmosphere like in "The Golem".

Golem-2.jpg

Add injury to insult, the music score the restorationist used is just plain AWFUL!