Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Saw a few on cable demand the TCM section, who else has it?   1988's quiet, somber & strong Running on Empty helmed by Sidney Lumet & ironically considering his younger brother is all over the place right now Joaquin Phoenix, River Phoenix-(s. actor nom) typically of the academy though he's in every frame of it gets nommed for support, ala *T. Hutton in Ordinary people, *Eva Marie Saint in waterfront and many more still he's exceptional here  Judd Hirsch and Christine Lahti portray his parents all on the run from blowing up a munitions-(hope I spelled it ok) during the height of Vietnam & the family tries to stay together no matter, what, but means they can never settle anywhere including the boy he plays, a talented musician but must hide due o his mom and dad  The ending is a heartbreaker. it's script was also in the race   look for it, I reviewed it that year & still give it (***1/2-0put of four)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, spence said:

I remember hat movie all said Kurt Russell was doing a *John Wayne impersonation   Ever see *Tarentino's 2007 Grindhouse? You'd never now it but ol Kurt portrayed one of the sickest guys ever who liked killing young girls with his car-(a fmr stuntman his car was supped up BIG-TIME!) It has 2 sections Grindhouse the 1st half was Robet Rodriguez as director & about zombies, *Quentin did the 2nd and a long film as well, only raking in $25m. still that 2nd half is so powerful & has car chase scenes like you've never seen before or since  But he was truly an all out villian

Never once during Big Trouble in Little China did I think of John Wayne. Interesting.  When watching the movie, I never realized how much 80s Kurt Russell reminds me of 80s Patrick Swayze. 

I've never seen Grindhouse.  Tarentino is not one of my favorites, so I don't actively seek out his films. I am interested in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, because: 1) the subject matter interests me; 2) I like Brad Pitt; and 3) Luke Perry! 

Car Chase scenes aren't anything that interest me, they all seem the same old same old. 

• Like 1

Speedy, are you familiar with 1984's Reckless, starring Aidan Quinn and Darryl Hannah.  The film isn't that much but the soundtrack is great (as it is in most films of the '80s), featuring Kim Wilde's "Kids in America."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Speedy, are you familiar with 1984's Reckless, starring Aidan Quinn and Darryl Hannah.  The film isn't that much but the soundtrack is great (as it is in most films of the '80s), featuring Kim Wilde's "Kids in America."

IReckless1984.jpg.f8899e2702334cddc2da23ee3ba36e08.jpg

I've heard of Reckless, but I haven't seen it.  I have heard the "Kids in America" song, it was featured in Clueless, but I think it's another version.

I do like the title, the poster, and the fact that it was made in 1984 (the same year I was born!). If there's great music, that's a bonus!  I will keep an eye out for it at the library. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Reckless1984.jpg.f8899e2702334cddc2da23ee3ba36e08.jpg

I swear I thought it was LORI SINGER. I used to get them confused a lot.

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I've heard of Reckless, but I haven't seen it.  I have heard the "Kids in America" song, it was featured in Clueless, but I think it's another version.

I do like the title, the poster, and the fact that it was made in 1984 (the same year I was born!). If there's great music, that's a bonus!  I will keep an eye out for it at the library. 

To speedracer5, keep 'em comin brings back memories with all these movies though I only saw this one on tv around 1985   Didn't like it, but brings back memories of a better time in my life memories of a better time in my life

Kenneth McMillian is a fellow Irishman that drank himself to death ion 1989 at only age 60   See his greatest work as an actor as Willie Conklin in Ragtime l98l, actually getting to have scenes with *CAGNEY!

Are you big on the '80's especially?

what ever became of teenage sex comedies & slasher films?

38 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Never once during Big Trouble in Little China did I think of John Wayne. Interesting.  When watching the movie, I never realized how much 80s Kurt Russell reminds me of 80s Patrick Swayze. 

I've never seen Grindhouse.  Tarentino is not one of my favorites, so I don't actively seek out his films. I am interested in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, because: 1) the subject matter interests me; 2) I like Brad Pitt; and 3) Luke Perry! 

Car Chase scenes aren't anything that interest me, they all seem the same old same old. 

Yeah, not only Ebert and Siskel but other critics said that about the *Wayne thing.  Never thought of it but when one does there was a little look alike with Swayze & Kurt  ever see Kurt in a role-(forgot about this villian, but still not as bad as the guy in Grindhouse) a 1975 tv movie with Ned Beatty where he played Charles Whitman the guy on the bldg. I think in Texas that shot down at people in the '60's  Forget it's name right now   Don't know your taste ion movies,. but Once upon a time in Hollywood to me was worth a look (**1/2-out of 4) especially if our a Tinsel-Town buff, see he scene where both are in frt of a restuarant   Musso & Franks, went there in '99 w/my ma and it actually cost over $36.00 for 2 sands & 2 ice tea's   It's also often focused on TCM & Manny-(likely now gone) he was about 87 a few yrs ago & ran the restaurant & did little tricks,etc He wasn't there the day I went, but McQueen used to be a regular and it was here where *Brando's son and daughter got into a huge argument & left, couple hrs later he shot her boyfriend to death up at *Marlon's mansion on Mulholland  Oldest restaurant still running in town est in 1919  Plus, you see the Cineramadome & what I call The House Sinatra Built Capitol Records a lot it's the really tall white rigged bdg  It'll likely snag about 9 Oscar noms

A film or 2 you may ot yet have seen with Pitt-(likely o earn his 4th shot an Academy Award) Snatch-(his finest per.), Kalifornia are 2

11 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Also from 1984:  Breakin'2 (Electric Boogaloo) which starred neither Darryl Hannah nor Lori Singer.

image.jpeg.c1eb8d3d93cf175abbab48a970dce949.jpeg

God, I unfortunately remember this one as well   I was wrong back then about Rap Music & Break Dancing predicting both would die fast, obviously one is still around

29 minutes ago, spence said:

To speedracer5, keep 'em comin brings back memories with all these movies though I only saw this one on tv around 1985   Didn't like it, but brings back memories of a better time in my life memories of a better time in my life

Kenneth McMillian is a fellow Irishman that drank himself to death ion 1989 at only age 60   See his greatest work as an actor as Willie Conklin in Ragtime l98l, actually getting to have scenes with *CAGNEY!

Are you big on the '80's especially?

what ever became of teenage sex comedies & slasher films?

I am big on movies of all eras.

Right now I'm kind of in a 90s nostalgia mode (thus my re-watch of my fave nighttime soap 90210), as that is my "coming of age" era I suppose. But I also love 80s movies because many of them are so much fun and were made before an era where every single thing has to have some message in it.  I also have direct memories of watching these 80s and 90s movies so they are fun for me to revisit.  

I don't know what happened to the teen sex comedies, but I don't know if I'd want to watch any new teen sex comedies, because the teens now are all so lame. Give me 25-year olds pretending to be 16 any day of the week. 

I'm not a big slasher movie fan, but do enjoy the original Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street. For me, the slasher movies are so repetitive. 

16 minutes ago, spence said:

Yeah, not only Ebert and Siskel but other critics said that about the *Wayne thing.  Never thought of it but when one does there was a little look alike with Swayze & Kurt  ever see Kurt in a role-(forgot about this villian, but still not as bad as the guy in Grindhouse) a 1975 tv movie with Ned Beatty where he played Charles Whitman the guy on the bldg. I think in Texas that shot down at people in the '60's  Forget it's name right now   Don't know your taste ion movies,. but Once upon a time in Hollywood to me was worth a look (**1/2-out of 4) especially if our a Tinsel-Town buff, see he scene where both are in frt of a restuarant   Musso & Franks, went there in '99 w/my ma and it actually cost over $36.00 for 2 sands & 2 ice tea's   It's also often focused on TCM & Manny-(likely now gone) he was about 87 a few yrs ago & ran the restaurant & did little tricks,etc He wasn't there the day I went, but McQueen used to be a regular and it was here where *Brando's son and daughter got into a huge argument & left, couple hrs later he shot her boyfriend to death up at *Marlon's mansion on Mulholland  Oldest restaurant still running in town est in 1919  Plus, you see the Cineramadome & what I call The House Sinatra Built Capitol Records a lot it's the really tall white rigged bdg  It'll likely snag about 9 Oscar noms

A film or 2 you may ot yet have seen with Pitt-(likely o earn his 4th shot an Academy Award) Snatch-(his finest per.), Kalifornia are 2

I never pay attention to what the critics say, even Siskel and Ebert back in the day, I just go with my own personal feeling if I want to see it or not.

I haven't seen Kalifornia. He's good in Snatch. I thought he was great in Fight Club (but quickly tired of the constant "#1 rule of Fight Club is 'don't talk about the fight club' jokes that were going around for about a year afterward). I liked him in the remake of Ocean's 11, I haven't seen the sequels to the remake. I thought he was good in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  I even liked him in his small part in Thelma & Louise

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I am big on movies of all eras.

Right now I'm kind of in a 90s nostalgia mode (thus my re-watch of my fave nighttime soap 90210), as that is my "coming of age" era I suppose. But I also love 80s movies because many of them are so much fun and were made before an era where every single thing has to have some message in it.  I also have direct memories of watching these 80s and 90s movies so they are fun for me to revisit.  

I don't know what happened to the teen sex comedies, but I don't know if I'd want to watch any new teen sex comedies, because the teens now are all so lame. Give me 25-year olds pretending to be 16 any day of the week. 

I'm not a big slasher movie fan, but do enjoy the original Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street. For me, the slasher movies are so repetitive. 

Nether a I a slasher fan, it's just so '80's huh   Halloween was in a different & classier league

20 minutes ago, spence said:

God, I unfortunately remember this one as well   I was wrong back then about Rap Music & Break Dancing predicting both would die fast, obviously one is still around

I, for one, wish that rap music would go away and break dancing would make a come back. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I loved this movie. It was bonkers in all the right ways.

I love the way Kurt Russell sort of does a John Wayne impersonation in it.

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I love the way Kurt Russell sort of does a John Wayne impersonation in it.

If he did, it was very subtle. I didn't pick up on that at all.  I liked when he made out with Kim Cattrall and then spent the next scene fighting while donning smudged red lipstick on both his lips and teeth!

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

If he did, it was very subtle. I didn't pick up on that at all.  I liked when he made out with Kim Cattrall and then spent the next scene fighting while donning smudged red lipstick on both his lips and teeth!

It's right at the beginning, when he's talking on the CB radio even uses the word pilgrim. 😎

3 minutes ago, spence said:

Nether a I a slasher fan, it's just so '80's huh   Halloween was in a different & classier league

Perhaps. I don't have a particular nostalgia for slasher pics. I saw all these much later.

The only slasher thing I remember watching when it was new was Scream.  It came out in middle school.  Then I was immediately sick of it, because like anything that becomes popular, the media has to ruin it by running it into the ground. For a good year or two afterwards, every Halloween was full of scream masks and people asking "Do you like scary movies?" 

Just now, cigarjoe said:

It's right at the beginning, when he's talking on the CB radio even uses the word pilgrim. 😎

I didn't think of John Wayne at all. I just thought he was being a truck driver.

I'm not particularly a big fan of Wayne's though. His movies all seem the same to me. That's probably why Russell's impression of him didn't resonate with me.  Nathan Lane's impression in The Birdcage however, was amazing.  "Howdy ma'am." 

I didn't think of John Wayne at all. I just thought he was being a truck driver.

I'm not particularly a big fan of Wayne's though. His movies all seem the same to me. That's probably why Russell's impression of him didn't resonate with me.  Nathan Lane's impression in The Birdcage however, was amazing.  "Howdy ma'am." 

Which goes to show that in a another 20-30 years nobody will even realize that he was doing Wayne.

I never pay attention to what the critics say, even Siskel and Ebert back in the day, I just go with my own personal feeling if I want to see it or not.

I haven't seen Kalifornia. He's good in Snatch. I thought he was great in Fight Club (but quickly tired of the constant "#1 rule of Fight Club is 'don't talk about the fight club' jokes that were going around for about a year afterward). I liked him in the remake of Ocean's 11, I haven't seen the sequels to the remake. I thought he was good in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  I even liked him in his small part in Thelma & Louise

Yeah Thelma & Louise got him noticed & it was around this time-(l990/91) that he was actually going out with Robin Givens, of curse then Mike Tyson's lady & one night-(Tyson always jokes about this incident) he happened to be outside his mansion-(which she & her mother later got) & up the driveway comes her & Pitt-(then virtually unkown) driving up the driveway to the house & then Brad sees who is standing there & puts 2 & 2 together & freaks out, jumps out of the car & keeps yelling "No No man, not in the Face, just don't hit me in the Face" unquote, all the while seemingly high on pot probably kinda smiling at Mike & apologizing,etc Tyson never hit him, but says he was close. That was the last time anybody saw Bad with Givens, this was just before Tyson lost his title  she and her monster of a mother did this all the time, gold-digging & got him real good eventually  He probably wouldn't have lost the title that fast (just 4yrs) if he'd never met robin & on this night Pitt was caught n the middle Just punch in n your computer Brad Pitt & Robin Givens together & many photos will show up

Benjan Button was amazing at times & deserved it's Academy Awards   Visual effects, Make-Up & Art Direction   Leonard Maltin very stingy with his rating gives it 4 stars! & it did well with ticket sakes at $135m  But a very expensive film  kinda like Fight Club ($38m.) same director as Benjamin Button David Fincher & see the WW2 tank film he made?

I think snatch & Kalifornia were his finest hrs of pure acting, but to me overall his greatest picture yet is *Tarentino's WW11 epic Inglorious Basterds

& must admit, despite *The Chairman Sinatra being one of my idols, I thought the remake of Ocean's Eleven ($182m.) was about as good   CLAIRE DE LUNE scene was worth the price of admission

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I've never seen Grindhouse.  Tarentino is not one of my favorites, so I don't actively seek out his films.

Grindhouse was only--and I repeat, ONLY--interesting for the between-feature pastiche fake-trailers by the other directors, who seemed to have a much better instinctive idea of what the movie "should" have been about than Tarantino and Rodriguez did.

(Namely Edgar Wright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttrIPDFplU and Eli Roth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bWLrmk3kE

When Miramax was trying to bluff and downgrade their way out of a crushing box-office flop, they originally thought of going with the audience and following up with an all-trailer "Grindhouse: Trailer Park", but...ah, the road not traveled.  😥 )

• Like 2

I agree that the fake trailers in Grindhouse were enjoyable ("Werewolf Women of the SS" was a personal favorite), I also really enjoyed Robert Rodriguez's half, Planet Terror. Very entertaining.

On the other hand, I thought Tarantino's half, Death Proof, was easily the worst thing that he's made.

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

Grindhouse was only--and I repeat, ONLY--interesting for the between-feature pastiche fake-trailers by the other directors, who seemed to have a much better instinctive idea of what the movie "should" have been about than Tarantino and Rodriguez did.

(Namely Edgar Wright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttrIPDFplU and Eli Roth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bWLrmk3kE

When Miramax was trying to bluff and downgrade their way out of a crushing box-office flop, they originally thought of going with the audience and following up with an all-trailer "Grindhouse: Trailer Park", but...ah, the road not traveled.  😥 )

Erik, you know though the fake trailers & cracking screen was meant as a homage to 1970's drive in cinema,right 

I was mixed on the first 1/2 by Rodriguez-(who also helmed the terrificly inventive 2005 Sin-City  Mickey Rourke was left out in the cold fir a s. actor shot for it!) but that 2nd chapter was something to behold those car scenes & all, STEVE McQUEEN woulda' love it, or maybe he still did   Stunningly it didn't even earn a Film Editing **** that year

(*-always will indicates an Oscar winner)  Also, due to our pc era  it took the postal service a lot longer to finally give *Wayne a stamp, then the rest & with AFI's 10yrs....100 Stars it's still difficult to fathom that they voted him down the list at #13th all-time male star???

*Bogey as most know was voted A #1-(who I'm a bit of a fan of too), but who's more legendary in even regular history to me it's *Chaplin & *The Duke"  & on that vote, *Charles (Spencer) Chaplin was even short changed at #10th ever