Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Having had a beard since '72, I'd say most guys do look better with facial hair( if only to hide behind :D ) 

And too, with unshaven chest hair!  I mean, men shaving their chests?  What the HELL is up with that, anyway? :wacko:

And when I say beard, I mean BEARD!  Not that dumb looking three day shadow guys have been sporting for 'bout 20 years now.  Hell.  When I was 17 back in '68 I went around with a 3 day growth and generally unkempt hair and the girls all said I looked seedy.  Like a bum.  NOW, guys pay extra for "razors" that maintain that look and pay in excess of $20 or more to make their hair look like it hasn't been combed for a month or so.  And, NOW the girls think it's HOT!  :rolleyes:  I had NO idea I was ahead of my time!  :D 

And BTW: I agree.  Cushing does do that beard justice.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

well, it is pretty cool, i'm glad they found and restored it- at the 52 second mark there is a shot that had not been seen for 50 years until they found ti 3-4 years ago.

when they first found the footage and included it in the blu-ray, i actually posted a thread specifically about it in GENERAL DISCUSSIONS and- ironically?- it bombed. I got no replies, barely any views and it just slunk down to page six in no time.

So, what does it smell like when your that close to a melt down? :D Must be awful. Couldn't have the guy hold is nose, though. It would be too funny. Strange curiosity.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Having had a beard since '72, I'd say most guys do look better with facial hair( if only to hide behind :D ) 

And too, with unshaven chest hair!  I mean, men shaving their chests?  What the HELL is up with that, anyway? :wacko:

And when I say beard, I mean BEARD!  Not that dumb looking three day shadow guys have been sporting for 'bout 20 years now.  Hell.  When I was 17 back in '68 I went around with a 3 day growth and generally unkempt hair and the girls all said I looked seedy.  Like a bum.  NOW, guys pay extra for "razors" that maintain that look and pay in excess of $20 or more to make their hair look like it hasn't been combed for a month or so.  And, NOW the girls think it's HOT!  :rolleyes:  I had NO idea I was ahead of my time!  :D 

And BTW: I agree.  Cushing does do that beard justice.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Hey Sepia, if we were models and had the bodies of a 25-year Ray Danton or John Gavin, we'd shave wherever our agent told us to if it meant getting a major photo shoot for a beachwear company 😃!  Generally, I agree with you though.  No man should shave below the neck unless he was a competitive swimmer.  I had a beard for a couple of years back in my early 30's, but got tired of keeping it trimmed, and getting food in it was a hassle too.  Now I just sport a mustache and sideburns which are much easier to maintain.  Some guys do look better with facial hair than without, but almost all of us look considerably younger if we're clean shaven.  As for guys with the 'bed head' look that is appealing to some women, well...I need not worry about that problem anymore!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

He was married something like 8 times, so there's a good chance he just kept one on out of habit.

I know. I mean I could do the research. I have at least one book on them, but I'm pretty sure he may have gotten married just before this picture was made and was probably too smitten to take the ring off. Who knows?

I just don't find the Bowery Boys (Dead End Kids, etc.) funny or amusing in the slightest. They just come off as annoying to me. Every time they pop up in a Warner Bros movie I'm watching, I always let out a heavy sigh and just hope that their parts are kept to a minimum.  There isn't even any eye candy to keep me interested. 

Is there something I'm missing?

• Thanks 1

Bundle of Joy (1956)

This movie was a musical remake of 1939's "Bachelor Mother" with Ginger Rogers and David Niven.

The original was way better.

I love Debbie Reynolds and she was excellent per usual. Adolphe Menjou, Nita Talbot, Una Merkel, Howard McNear and Tommy Noonan provided excellent support.

Co-star Eddie Fisher? Not so great. He is not a good actor, very stiff and no personality whatsoever. Unfortunately, he sang much of the movie. His singing isn't bad or anything, but it's boring. It's just kind of there. He croons similar types of songs to contemporaries like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, and Bobby Darin... but with none of the personality or cool factor. He very much reminds me of Bobby Rydell in "Bye Bye Birdie." Rydell is so bland. He makes Wonder Bread look spicy.

Anyway, suffice it to say, Fisher is probably the reason that this film lost at least two stars from me in the review. Had they paired Debbie with someone else, anyone else, (Donald O’Connor perhaps) it would have been better. Obviously RKO wanted to capitalize on Fisher and Reynolds' recent marriage and paired them in this film. Supposedly Reynolds was pregnant with daughter Carrie Fisher during the making of this film. It is not obvious at all. Debbie's 5" waist is fully on display here.

Anyway, in this film, Reynolds plays Polly Parrish, a salesgirl who works in the milliner department at a NYC department store. Nita Talbot plays her sassy co-worker, Mary. I like Talbot. This is the second movie of hers I've seen. She reminds me very much of Lauren Bacall. Polly is very good at her job, good in the sense that she gets a lot of sales, but bad in the sense that most of her sales turn into returns. Days before Christmas, Polly is laid off from her job. On the way home, she finds a baby lying on the doorstep of a local orphanage. 

Instinctively, Polly picks up the baby right as the door to the orphanage is opened. The orphanage lady (I thought it was Mary Wickes, but it's not. Apparently the character's name was "Matron") opens the door to the orphanage just as Polly is bending down. She assumes that Polly is in the process of dropping off the baby, rather than picking it up. The Matron ushers Polly inside and brings her to see Mr. Appleby, the boss (superintendent, president, dean, what do you call the head of an orphanage?) at the orphanage. Mr. Appleby is Floyd the Barber from "The Andy Griffith Show." 

After hearing Polly's plight about being fired, he takes her to her old company to see her boss, Mr. Merlin. It seems that the Senior Mr. Merlin (owner of the store), played by Adolphe Menjou, is the one who wanted to fire Polly because she was hurting the store's profits. Dan Merlin (Eddie Fisher) is his son and is the one in the office upon Polly's visit. Hearing her story, Dan gives Polly her job back.

Later that evening, Mr. Appleby drops the baby off at Polly’s apartment. Polly is understandably upset, because it's not her baby. However, not wanting to abandon the child, she takes on the duty of taking care of him. 

A comedy of errors ("comedy" being the subjective term here) ensues culminating with Senior Merlin being misinformed that the baby is his grandchild and his attempt to gain custody of the baby on behalf of his son. 

What if the baby's real mother comes back? There's an extra scene I would have liked to see.

Like I said, I would have preferred if Eddie Fisher hadn't sang so much and if Debbie sang more. The costumes were beautiful. It's always a treat to see Una Merkel. I would watch this again if it aired again on TCM, but I don't think this is a film that I would need to own. I'll stick with the Ginger Rogers original.

Edited by speedracer5
Forgot to put the title of the movie! Lol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

[...]but my main takeaway was damn, Peter Cushing looks great with a beard!

<---  Why, thank you!

(This response will only be relevant for the next 12 hours or so.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I just don't find the Bowery Boys (Dead End Kids, etc.) funny or amusing in the slightest. They just come off as annoying to me. Every time they pop up in a Warner Bros movie I'm watching, I always let out a heavy sigh and just hope that their parts are kept to a minimum.  There isn't even any eye candy to keep me interested. 

When directed well (i.e. controlled),    the "kids" can be used effectively;  E.g.  The Bogie \ McCrea film Dead End,  directed by Wyler,  and with Cagney in Angels With Dirty Faces directed by Curtiz.    (I.e. two of the best directors of their era).

But yea,  a little goes a very long way with this act and that is when tight sound direction really matters. 

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't think so. You either love them or you don't. I used to cut my morning classes in high school  to watch them, Dad coming home, catching me and eventually joining me.  The entertainment factor is these four or five guys with no job hopefuls, that get into mischief. Lame at best, I know. As I look on them now in my adult years, I can't figure how a group of grown men in their forties would hang around an ice cream parlor, and scheme to do whatever. But I still enjoy their antics. Huntz Hall became the major clown in the series, and often had the best lines. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

<---  Why, thank you!

(This response will only be relevant for the next 12 hours or so.)

He also looks GREAT in lambchops...muttonchops? Biker sideburns.

Whatever.

The more I see him in stuff, the more I realize what a terrific actor he was (and - I get the sense- more amicable to work with than Christopher Lee)

SPOOK BUSTERS(?) CHASERS(?) is genuinely quite funny. I watched it a few months ago and posted a review somewhere in the annals of this thread.

• Like 1

HERE, I DUG IT UP:

(EDIT- THE ETHER BIT IS HILARIOUS)

TWO MORNINGS in a row, I turned on the TV just to have white noise, and on both occasions ran across films by chance that were so interesting, i rewatched them later and paid more attention.

One was SWANN IN LOVE, the other was SPOOK BUSTERS (1946), starring LEO GORCEY AND THE BOWERY BOYS. (Apparently GORCEY was LIONEL RICHIE to the BOWERY COMMODORES and got DIANA ROSS-STYLE top billing over the rest of the gang. as charming as i admit GORCEY can be, it's a group act though, and his schtick would get old BUT FAST without the rest of the guys around. )

51Rw+fufRaL._AC_SY400_.jpg

this was a (mostly) genuinely funny movie and there is a bit at the end about some SPILLED ETHER in a lab that is either taken from a BUGS BUNNY CARTOON or it inspired it, but it's pretty damn funny in and of its own self. there's also some running gags about Post War lack of employment and housing and goods. 

I think it's safe to say, a fair amount of this inspired A LOT of ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN.

• Like 1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:

from-left-jerry-lewis-huntz-hall-ca-ever

"Has anyone ever told you you're a very attractive man?"

For some of us, it's the nostalgia I think. I grew up watching the Bowery Boys on channel 5 in NY (that's when we had only a handful of stations) My dad and I use to watch them together, so for me, it's the memories that make these silly films special.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HERE, I DUG IT UP:

(EDIT- THE ETHER BIT IS HILARIOUS)

TWO MORNINGS in a row, I turned on the TV just to have white noise, and on both occasions ran across films by chance that were so interesting, i rewatched them later and paid more attention.

One was SWANN IN LOVE, the other was SPOOK BUSTERS (1946), starring LEO GORCEY AND THE BOWERY BOYS. (Apparently GORCEY was LIONEL RICHIE to the BOWERY COMMODORES and got DIANA ROSS-STYLE top billing over the rest of the gang. as charming as i admit GORCEY can be, it's a group act though, and his schtick would get old BUT FAST without the rest of the guys around. )

51Rw+fufRaL._AC_SY400_.jpg

this was a (mostly) genuinely funny movie and there is a bit at the end about some SPILLED ETHER in a lab that is either taken from a BUGS BUNNY CARTOON or it inspired it, but it's pretty damn funny in and of its own self. there's also some running gags about Post War lack of employment and housing and goods. 

I think it's safe to say, a fair amount of this inspired A LOT of ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN.

Lorna, I think Swann in Love and Spook Busters should be released as a double feature around the country.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I just don't find the Bowery Boys (Dead End Kids, etc.) funny or amusing in the slightest. Is there something I'm missing?

Could be, but I think it's mostly that comedy either gets you or it doesn't, and often your opinions can change as you change.

It's like music- some people love Led Zeppelin and others like Chet Baker, there's something for everyone. I've always revisited comedians I don't care for, just to see if they strike me differently. While I appreciate their talent,  I tend to get impatient watching adults pretend they're children, a la Laurel & Hardy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

For some of us, it's the nostalgia I think. I grew up watching the Bowery Boys on channel 5 in NY (that's when we had only a handful of stations) My dad and I use to watch them together, so for me, it's the memories that make these silly films special.

Channel 5?  "Eastside Comedy", Sunday afternoons right after Wonderama, if my hazy 70's memory is correct.  😄

And yeah, the Boys weren't as interesting as the Kids, who at least had a distinctive act in the Warner dramas.  After that, in B-picture adulthood, it was mostly "local" humor for Bronx and Brooklyn-ites, like the New Jersey fans who swore by Jerry Lewis comedies.

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

And from my perspective, they were good in those old movies.

But how they still managed or wanted to keep up the same old shtick as adults was hilarious unto itself, or just plain mediocre and downright dull.

We had some really good stuff on TV after school and on Saturdays from the Golden Age. People like Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges and Spanky, Alfalfa, Buckwheat with Our Gang.

But being stuck with watching those grown-men trying to be funny, acting like they were still kids, was simply ridiculous.

But I do love the stories about how they used to play pranks on Bogart in the good old days at Warner Brothers.

22 hours ago, midwestan said:

Hey Sepia, if we were models and had the bodies of a 25-year Ray Danton or John Gavin, we'd shave wherever our agent told us to if it meant getting a major photo shoot for a beachwear company 😃!  Generally, I agree with you though.  No man should shave below the neck unless he was a competitive swimmer.  I had a beard for a couple of years back in my early 30's, but got tired of keeping it trimmed, and getting food in it was a hassle too.  Now I just sport a mustache and sideburns which are much easier to maintain.  Some guys do look better with facial hair than without, but almost all of us look considerably younger if we're clean shaven.  As for guys with the 'bed head' look that is appealing to some women, well...I need not worry about that problem anymore!

Since I've known my 1st wife since Jr. high, she knew how I looked before and after the beard grew.  But Alicia first met me with the long established beard.  She used to mention that she'd like to see what I looked like without it, and my old high school pics weren't an accurate account( according to her).  Well, one night when she was at work, I was trimming my beard and really fudged it up.  So, seeing as she wanted to see me wiithout it, I shaved it off with intent to grow it back. And, once finally seeing it gone, told me to never, EVER, do that again!  :D  In connection....

Several years later, when at the celebration of my old high school buddy's 30th anniversary, I related the story.  His Mother(whom I considered my "Mom away from home" and who knew me since I was 14) told me, "Why, I always thought you were kind of good lookin' before you ever had the beard."  And I had to inform her....

"Yeah, but you're thinkin' TWO CHINS AGO!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

(I apologize, I may "wander off the farm" with this one)

so, generally i enjoy waking up on a saturday morning because i can catch TCM UNDERGROUND on my west coast feed, [which reminds me, I forgot to review SUGAR HILL from last week- I liked it] this morning, BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS was on.

Now, I admit that mornings are VOLATILE times of day for me, because my mood can change like the wind, but Holy Hell, this movie rubbed me the wrong ******* way- just like picking up a sleeping cat and running your hand repeatedly against the fur, and while I did not watch the whole thing, DAMN DID IT JUST GET ME IN A FOUL MOOD.

It lets you know in a LENGTHY, MOLASSES-LIKE CRAWL OF OPENING CREDITS (which ARE FORMATTED like end credits) THAT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH VALLEY OF THE DOLLS.

Now, I have seen VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and it is a stupid movie, NOT WITHOUT SOME MEMORABLE MOMENTS mind you, but really- a deeply, deeply stupid movie- HOWEVER, it is not an OFFENSIVE MOVIE (unless you count the insult to the viewers intelligence)

(no one pays a backhanded compliment like me, baby.)

the 30-40 minutes of BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS that I was able to take were like being pelted in the face with a bunch of PLAYBOY cartoons from the 50's- just some entrenched, proudly regressive crap that really never missed a chance to punch down, insult and belittle any number of people- but especially women and gay men.

it was written, it would seem by a chubby 12 year old virgin- or, as you may know him, ROGER EBERT- who, like REX REED, took his expertise from committing to celluloid the ne plus ultra of the craft of filmmaking (albeit THE VERY WORST example) to take a seat at the top of the mountain and pass judgment for decades on what was and wasn't worth watching filmwise.

It was directed by RUSS MEYER and was notable for having an AVERAGE SHOT LENGTH of -2 seconds. Seriously, I don't think 10 seconds go by in this movie without a cut. there were 5,324 cuts in the 30-40 minutes i watched.

hope everyone enjoyed the cocaine.

God, this was awful.

I usually try not to pass judgment when i did not see the whole movie, but i stick to that verdict.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SPOOK BUSTERS(?) CHASERS(?) is genuinely quite funny. I watched it a few months ago and posted a review somewhere in the annals of this thread.

Now is this the famous "Charlie's got an ax!"

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Could be, but I think it's mostly that comedy either gets you or it doesn't, and often your opinions can change as you change.

It's like music- some people love Led Zeppelin and others like Chet Baker, there's something for everyone. I've always revisited comedians I don't care for, just to see if they strike me differently. While I appreciate their talent,  I tend to get impatient watching adults pretend they're children, a la Laurel & Hardy.

I agree with this. Though I love Laurel and Hardy. But I can only take like 1-2 Three Stooges shorts before I'm sick of them. 

I try to like the Dead End Kids but a little seems to go a long way with them.

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Since I've known my 1st wife since Jr. high, she knew how I looked before and after the beard grew.  But Alicia first met me with the long established beard.  She used to mention that she'd like to see what I looked like without it, and my old high school pics weren't an accurate account( according to her).  Well, one night when she was at work, I was trimming my beard and really fudged it up.  So, seeing as she wanted to see me wiithout it, I shaved it off with intent to grow it back. And, once finally seeing it gone, told me to never, EVER, do that again!  :D  In connection....

This happened to my husband a long time ago.  He was trimming his goatee.  He lost the blade he normally used (or it broke? I don't remember), so he was trying to use a different one.  He ended up jacking up his goatee to the point where he had to shave it off.  Later we were together, and it literally took me a few hours to notice that it was missing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(I apologize, I may "wander off the farm" with this one)

so, generally i enjoy waking up on a saturday morning because i can catch TCM UNDERGROUND on my west coast feed, [which reminds me, I forgot to review SUGAR HILL from last week- I liked it] this morning, BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS was on.

Now, I admit that mornings are VOLATILE times of day for me, because my mood can change like the wind, but Holy Hell, this movie rubbed me the wrong ******* way- just like picking up a sleeping cat and running your hand repeatedly against the fur, and while I did not watch the whole thing, DAMN DID IT JUST GET ME IN A FOUL MOOD.

It lets you know in a LENGTHY, MOLASSES-LIKE CRAWL OF OPENING CREDITS (which ARE FORMATTED like end credits) THAT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH VALLEY OF THE DOLLS.

Now, I have seen VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and it is a stupid movie, NOT WITHOUT SOME MEMORABLE MOMENTS mind you, but really- a deeply, deeply stupid movie- HOWEVER, it is not an OFFENSIVE MOVIE (unless you count the insult to the viewers intelligence)

(no one pays a backhanded compliment like me, baby.)

the 30-40 minutes of BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS that I was able to take were like being pelted in the face with a bunch of PLAYBOY cartoons from the 50's- just some entrenched, proudly regressive crap that really never missed a chance to punch down, insult and belittle any number of people- but especially women and gay men.

it was written, it would seem by a chubby 12 year old virgin- or, as you may know him, ROGER EBERT- who, like REX REED, took his expertise from committing to celluloid the ne plus ultra of the craft of filmmaking (albeit THE VERY WORST example) to take a seat at the top of the mountain and pass judgment for decades on what was and wasn't worth watching filmwise.

It was directed by RUSS MEYER and was notable for having an AVERAGE SHOT LENGTH of -2 seconds. Seriously, I don't think 10 seconds go by in this movie without a cut. there were 5,324 cuts in the 30-40 minutes i watched.

hope everyone enjoyed the cocaine.

God, this was awful.

I usually try not to pass judgment when i did not see the whole movie, but i stick to that verdict.

So you're saying that I didn't miss anything by forgetting to record this film. I remembered last night while watching The Princess Bride

I love Valley of the Dolls, even though it is dumb.  But it's so campy that I love it.