Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

So you're saying that I didn't miss anything by forgetting to record this film. I remembered last night while watching The Princess Bride

I love Valley of the Dolls, even though it is dumb.  But it's so campy that I love it.

🎶I’ll plant my own tree and I’ll MAKE IT GROOOOOW!!!!!”🎶

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The fight between Susan Hayward and Patty Duke is everything.

I WANT A DOLL! I WANT A DOLL! 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, LawrenceA said:

The Working Man (1933) - Comedy-drama from Warner Brothers and director John G. Adolfi. Cantankerous old businessman John Reeves (George Arliss) feels like he's being put out to pasture at his successful shoe company. He decides to amuse himself by clandestinely inveigling himself into the lives of Jenny (Bette Davis) and Tommy (Theodore Newton), dilettante rich kids and the heirs to John's rival. Also featuring Hardie Albright, Gordon Westcott, J. Farrell MacDonald, Charles E. Evans, Pat Wing, Douglass Dumbrille, and Edward Van Sloan.

This is similar to many of Arliss's other films: a boisterous old man helps directionless youth find purpose and love in life. Arliss is bit more energetic than usual, but otherwise this is routine stuff, presented in a competent manner.   (6/10)

220px-The-working-man-1933.jpg

Just watched this. Good natured fun, quite enjoyable. I'd never seen it before.

bette-working-man.png

• Like 3

On 10/25/2019 at 5:31 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

“Dog will hunt, heh heh, Dog will hunt.”

Actually, I think that’s from the sequel, but it’s still pretty damn creepy.

Yeah, that's from the sequel--

The one where the family moved from the farmhouse to underneath an amusement park, that looks like something out of a Joel Schumacher Batman movie, and sheriff Dennis Hopper acts like he's still in a David Lynch film.  Ohh, lord.  😓

18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it was written, it would seem by a chubby 12 year old virgin- or, as you may know him, ROGER EBERT- who, like REX REED, took his expertise from committing to celluloid the ne plus ultra of the craft of filmmaking (albeit THE VERY WORST example) to take a seat at the top of the mountain and pass judgment for decades on what was and wasn't worth watching filmwise.

Russ Meyer was making a lot of underground money with his cult films, and attracted Hollywood, who...didn't quite know what they were getting.  And if they didn't know what to expect from the director of "Faster, Pussycat, Kill, Kill!", it's their own fault.

Ebert did know, he'd written a few cult-film essays on Meyer's distinctive, um...storytelling style, and if Fox had a Dolls sequel in mind, Ebert was working with Russ and clearly had a Russ Meyer film in mind.  (Oh, and Ebert claims he came up with the climactic "twist" in the script.)

If you look up the disk, there were two distinct trailers when it was released--They both use the identical copy, "Fox had two great ideas:  One was to do a sequel to Valley of the Dolls, the other was to get Russ Meyer to direct it!"  But in the early trailer, it's intoned as an epic Major Motion Picture, and in the later trailer, it's delivered as a campy, groovy hippie freak-out.  Think Fox finally found out what they were getting.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Swithin said:

Just watched this. Good natured fun, quite enjoyable. I'd never seen it before.

Yeah, George Arliss takes piffle like this and makes it more fun than it has any right to be.  A Successful Calamity and The Millionaire are two other great examples of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

This happened to my husband a long time ago.  He was trimming his goatee.  He lost the blade he normally used (or it broke? I don't remember), so he was trying to use a different one.  He ended up jacking up his goatee to the point where he had to shave it off.  Later we were together, and it literally took me a few hours to notice that it was missing. 

That's how I wound up with a beard to begin with, although I might have eventually grown it.

I had a goatee for a couple/few years.  And each time I'd shave around it and try to trim it, it wound up "swinging" over from center to either the right or the left side of my chin( never consistent) until one day I just said "to HELL with it!" and just let it spread into a full beard. ;)  And now-a-days(and knock wood) there's FAR more grey hair in my beard than on my head!  :)  In fact, I've been accused by some envious same-aged friends that I must by dying my hair.  -_-

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

4391df1b04a16f49a6b2d4feb9ea616c.jpg

And then she takes the wig into the stall to flush it down the toilet and remarks, "Whaddya know, the john won't even take it!".  That's scriptwriter GOLD!

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, midwestan said:

And then she takes the wig into the stall to flush it down the toilet and remarks, "Whaddya know, the john won't even take it!".  That's scriptwriter GOLD!

Every line in this film is gold. 

"I have to get up at 5 o'clock in the morning and SPARKLE, Neely, SPARKLE!"

"I am not stoned. I am merely traveling incognito."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Valley of the Dolls and Mahogany seem to go together to me for some reason.  I think that Jacqueline Susann could have written the screenplay for Mahogany based upon some of the plot twists and the dialogue.

i haven't seen either recently but i think Patty Duke yells "I'm Neely O'Hara!" at least once or twice and I think Diana Ross does a drunken "I am MA-HO-GA-NY!"

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Jesus Christ, can you imagine have bananas it would’ve been if Anthony Perkins have been in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS?!

Which role would be have played, Ted Casablanca? Or maybe Neely's husband?

I am trying to imagine Judy Garland in Susan Hayward's part.  I feel like the bathroom wig scene would still be amazing.

I was considering a double feature of Valley of the Dolls and The Legend of Lylah Clare

Before I'd seen 'Dolls' I always thought the title referred to the girls in the movie, not pills.  I was disappointed that the lead girl only dabbled in pills for like 5 minutes in the movie.  She needed a spectacular Patty Duke-esque collapse.

The 1968 "Match Your Mood" Westinghouse commercial would make a great lead-in to 'Dolls.'

On 10/27/2019 at 9:02 AM, Fedya said:

Yeah, George Arliss takes piffle like this and makes it more fun than it has any right to be.  A Successful Calamity and The Millionaire are two other great examples of this.

I always thought that George Arliss was a creepy looking man. 

Admittedly, i saw Mahogany last week when it was on, and honestly I rather liked it (its really like an old-fashioned Joan Crawford 1930s vehicle updated for the 70s), but I gotta say, some moments were something else especially this....

tumblr_nk1p35NOab1qiohboo1_400.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just watched the 2006 remake of THE OMEN. It wasn't bad and it followed the 1976 version very closely. Granted it's hard to beat Gregory Peck and Lee Remick, but Liev Schreiber and Julia Stiles were both very good. As I've said before, I generally don't like remakes. However, it's going to continue as it has for years. Some are good and some are not so good. One could even argue that some of the remakes are better than the original. Hitchcock's THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH comes to mind. I actually didn't realize there was a 1936 version until a few years ago. In my opinion the 1956 version with James Stewart and Doris Day was much better.

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Before I'd seen 'Dolls' I always thought the title referred to the girls in the movie, not pills.  I was disappointed that the lead girl only dabbled in pills for like 5 minutes in the movie.  She needed a spectacular Patty Duke-esque collapse.

The 1968 "Match Your Mood" Westinghouse commercial would make a great lead-in to 'Dolls.'

Just mention the original Valley (even if it's in context of Beyond The), and you can see which posters' eyes will light up.  Sooner or later the Patty Duke meltdown will be mentioned for its film immortality.  😛

But at least the original got a Carol Burnett parody...Sort of:

(Ah, the days when 70's Mad Magazine writers wrote Carol Burnett sketches...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Jesus Christ, can you imagine have bananas it would’ve been if Anthony Perkins have been in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS?!

In the Patty Duke or the Susan Hayward role?

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, kingrat said:

Both. I envision a one man* show, kind of like what Patrick Stewart did with A CHRISTMAS CAROL.

*one man, many women.

• Like 1

My one big issue with VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (beside the very weak third act and ending) is that it contains what is, for me, the LEAST BELIEVABLE "only in the movies" trope- worse than a terraced NEW YORK APARTMENT or a THUNDERSTORM IN LA...and that is, there is a scene where a big wig says to a secretary/personal assistant/mousy librarian type "YOU'RE GONNA BE A STAR, BABY!" and CUT TO: TRIUMPH! LIGHTS! DIAMONDS! MINKS! PAPARAZZI! ACCLAIM!!

That is just NOT how it works, and if anyone famous EVER says THAT'S how they made it, THEY ARE LYING THROUGH THEIR VENEERS. 

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2019 at 3:21 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

LOL. Sung by Margaret Whiting.......

On 10/27/2019 at 7:05 PM, CinemaInternational said:

4391df1b04a16f49a6b2d4feb9ea616c.jpg

All this talk about Valley of the Dolls makes me want to drag out my deluxe edition DVD now and watch it. (Haven't in a long time). Such a fun movie! A Camp Classic.

Well, I'm glad to learn that somebody likes it.  I've never seen how it ends because, like with GODFATHER III, I'm usually zonked out sound asleep long before either gets there.

Sepiatone

10 hours ago, kingrat said:

ROFL!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

All this talk about Valley of the Dolls makes me want to drag out my deluxe edition DVD now and watch it. (Haven't in a long time). Such a fun movie! A Camp Classic.

Haha. I got the Criterion copy.  I love this movie. It's so absurd. It's a great Friday night movie. 

...I know what I'm doing on Friday...