Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

My one big issue with VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (beside the very weak third act and ending) is that it contains what is, for me, the LEAST BELIEVABLE "only in the movies" trope- worse than a terraced NEW YORK APARTMENT or a THUNDERSTORM IN LA...and that is, there is a scene where a big wig says to a secretary/personal assistant/mousy librarian type "YOU'RE GONNA BE A STAR, BABY!" and CUT TO: TRIUMPH! LIGHTS! DIAMONDS! MINKS! PAPARAZZI! ACCLAIM!!

That is just NOT how it works, and if anyone famous EVER says THAT'S how they made it, THEY ARE LYING THROUGH THEIR VENEERS. 

The big wig usually has big glasses and a cheesy looking toupee too. He's also usually all blinged out. 

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Haha. I got the Criterion copy.  I love this movie. It's so absurd. It's a great Friday night movie. 

...I know what I'm doing on Friday...

I may be too. LOL.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Haha. I got the Criterion copy.  I love this movie. It's so absurd. It's a great Friday night movie. 

...I know what I'm doing on Friday...

Are you kidding me? “Valley of the dolls” got a criterion release??!?!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The big wig usually has big glasses and a cheesy looking toupee too. He's also usually all blinged out. 

Cigar too. Don’t forget the cigar.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Are you kidding me? “Valley of the dolls” got a criterion release??!?!

Image result for valley of the dolls criterion

Yes! This is the one I have.

I think even Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is on Criterion. I didn't commit to purchasing that one however. If Patty Duke isn't in it, I'm not interested! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I think even Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is on Criterion. I didn't commit to purchasing that one however.

I did!

XwfKpPZ10ASQ47REenWvU0tXFFUwKN_large.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I did!

XwfKpPZ10ASQ47REenWvU0tXFFUwKN_large.jpg

Are all these characters in this film? 

I feel like this is too many characters to follow. 

On 10/27/2019 at 7:05 PM, CinemaInternational said:

4391df1b04a16f49a6b2d4feb9ea616c.jpg

I've always wondered if Susan Hayward wore 2 wigs for this scene or dyed her hair grey for the big reveal.......I'll go out the way I came in......

Patty Duke wore the worst falls/wigs/hairstyles of anyone in the film.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

YES SHE DID.

Girl should've had a LIFEALERT necklace on she had so many BAD FALLS.

• Haha 1

That's another issue I have with the film, now that I've been reminded- DURING THE LADIES ROOM WIG SNATCH SCENE, I just always think, "well, Susan, just snatch that piece PATTY has crammed up there and walk out as COUSIN ITT."

Problem solved.

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES SHE DID.

Oh,  no,,   I feel another 'what about that wig' discussion coming on!  

But come on;  producers and directors have eyes;   I have to assume any "look" was intentional. 

(ok,  misguided,,,, but still intentional).

image.jpeg.dba973b6ccf578f161ea49c6dbce7dce.jpeg

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES SHE DID.

LMREO!!!

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That's another issue I have with the film, now that I've been reminded- DURING THE LADIES ROOM WIG SNATCH SCENE, I just always think, "well, Susan, just snatch that piece PATTY has crammed up there and walk out as COUSIN ITT."

Problem solved.

ROFL!!! Yeah, Patty has room to talk. LOL.

15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Are all these characters [on the CRITERION COVER] in this film [beyond the valley of the dolls]? 

I feel like this is too many characters to follow. 

yes. (it's an impressive rendering)

but again- the 45ish minutes of the film that I was able to take before turning it off had an average shot length, genuinely, of (I swear) six seconds, SO NEARLY every character i saw has about 2 minutes or less of screentime. There are SO MANY CUTS. I don't think a single frame lasts longer than ten seconds. it is the most EXHAUSTIVELY OVEREDITED FILM I CAN THINK OF COMING ACROSS IN MY VIEWING HISTORY

• Haha 1

...ALTHOUGH

Mixed in among the innumerable  7 second shots that make-up "beyond the valley of the dolls" there are some 3-4 second long shots of nudity and what I think was real sex, and some of it did look pretty hot.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've always wondered if Susan Hayward wore 2 wigs for this scene or dyed her hair grey for the big reveal.......I'll go out the way I came in......

It's a lot of pattern, but I really liked Susan Hayward's paisley pantsuit in this scene.  I thought she looked really glamorous post-wig. Or maybe in-between wigs?

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES SHE DID.

Not that this relates to Patty's "hair," but I've always loved the montage scene of Patty's rise to fame. The animated scene is total 1960s camp and I love it. 

34 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

It's a lot of pattern, but I really liked Susan Hayward's paisley pantsuit in this scene.  I thought she looked really glamorous post-wig. Or maybe in-between wigs?

Judy Garland walked off with the original pants suit after she was fired. Not sure if it was the same pattern. (Seem to remember it was more sparkly and lighter). She later wore it during concerts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Originally she was supposed to be bald underneath the wig, which would if made it more humiliating and mean spirited.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Judy Garland walked off with the original pants suit after she was fired. Not sure if it was the same pattern. (Seem to remember it was more sparkly and lighter). She later wore it during concerts.

I guess she had to get something for her troubles... even though it was her troubles that gave them troubles. Lol. 

26 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Originally she was supposed to bald underneath the wig, which would if made it more humiliating and mean spirited.

I wish they would have kept the original version. That would have been amazing.

If anyone can't tell, I am very much into high camp and high soap. 

• Like 1

I like your movie preferences Speedy!  High camp and teen movies of the 80s!

There is nothing more entertaining than a high camp movie done with very serious intent, not a satire or a parody.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Originally she was supposed to be bald underneath the wig, which would if made it more humiliating and mean spirited.

WOW. Too bad they didn't go with that!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I guess she had to get something for her troubles... even though it was her troubles that gave them troubles. Lol. 

After doing some research just now it appears to be just a rumor. She was given the pantsuit and her salary.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I like your movie preferences Speedy!  High camp and teen movies of the 80s!

There is nothing more entertaining than a high camp movie done with very serious intent, not a satire or a parody.

I love teen movies in general from 1950s-1990s.  After the 90s, the teen movies (with the exception of 2004's Mean Girls) lost that special quality that made them entertaining to me.  Now they're just lame. Maybe it's because I'm 35, a few years (lol) removed from the teen years, but more than likely it's because they're lame. 

I agree wholeheartedly with your second statement as well. Though satire and parody can be funny too. See The Brady Bunch Movie (1995).