Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It was my understanding the ridiculing was because she was too old to have children.

PS:  I should have stated too old to want to have children   (because physically I assume she wasn't too-old).

The point was that she was too old to have children, i.e., for an old traditional European marriage. That's why Ouspenskaya refused her the blessing. There was irony here, for all Fran's crowing about how wonderful Europe was compared to America, she gets to feel a blowback. Add the element of her own preoccupation with growing old, which she so wanted to ignore.

I re-watched Destination MoonThe Flying Saucer, and Rocketship X-M, all from 1950. I don't really have much to say about them. Destination Moon holds historical significance, but it's dull and corny. The Flying Saucer wasn't as amusingly bad as I remembered, just bad bad. But I liked Rocketship X-M a little more, thanks to the "ruins of an ancient civilization found on Mars" sequence. I love that sort of thing.

Destination-moon-movie-poster-md.jpg  Poster_of_the_movie_%22The_Flying_Saucer  201-rocketshipxm.jpg

Halloween-Viewing Edition:

Halloween is my second Old-Movie holiday along with Christmas (celebrated with two weeks of appropriate specials, rarities and traditional Blu-rays), but, now that the years are going by too quickly, and it seems like we just had one last year, I try to rotate my viewing to just a few titles bi-annually, and mix in a few ephemera dug up from the public-domain backwaters of Amazon Prime.

Now, every year, I separate it into categories--

• Amazon Ephemera - For a warmup opening-act, I'd noticed that free Amazon Prime had dug up the Paul Lynde Halloween Special (1976), originally produced on Donny & Marie's variety-show assembly line, and with a reputation as the second most cult-kitsch remembered 70's network variety special ever made, behind...y'know, that George Lucas thing.  Chiefly remembered not so much for Lynde's Hollywood Squares-era "How did we not notice?" following, or for Margaret Hamilton giving the Wicked Witch a sporting comeback on 70's TV, but for being the first national TV appearance of rock group KISS...Which, back then, marketers only knew 10-yo. kids were into, because we were naive about that back then, too.
  • Funny Universal Monsters - Rotating every year between "Young Frankenstein", and this year's turn, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) 👍 (Ch...Chhh....Chhhhiiiiick!...)
  • 70's Horror Icons - Even when we had an actual working drive-in in the town where I grew up, and a theater in walking distance, I was too young to get into the great mid-70's R-rated horror icons, and too chicken to try.  So now I dig up disk or Amazon to educate myself on one thing I missed, every year--"Carrie" two years ago, "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" last year, and this year, Black Christmas (1974). 👎 There's a 70's generation that considers Bob Clark a "genius" for this film, and a 90's generation that remembers Clark only for A Christmas Story marathons, but in between, there was our generation that remembered Clark only as the goofball director-from-Mars of the Porky's and Baby Genius movies, and this movie did little to change my view.  It's hailed as a historical classic for singlehandedly inventing the 80's-slasher tropes--even John Carpenter confessed to homaging it--and it's got some creepy imagery (the closing scene is a horror icon), but the word "Subtle" does not now nor has ever existed in Clark's dictionary.  Keir Dullea is so outrageously over-the-top suspicious as Olivia Hussey's artistic controlling boyfriend, we think he has to be a red-herring, and the twists here are that there are no twists.  Also, while Clark wanted his killer to homage Tony Perkins having conversations with his "mother", scenes of the killer's psychotic terrorizing phone calls shrieking entire nonsensical dramas with himself in four or five different voices is surreal enough to be creepy, but also a bit too comic.
  • Ray Bradbury - While the '83 Disney version of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" has October gloominess creeping every pore, there is also the not-too-darn-bad '93 Hanna-Barbera kids-animated version of The Halloween Tree to rotate with, thanks to Warner Archive DVD.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8vfy2pOcY  Two of the three best versions of Bradbury on film, if you count "Moby Dick".
  • Disney - While the Ichabod half of The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (1949) 👍  is required every year (those who only associate the Headless Horseman with Johnny Depp, the cure is available), the feature rotates every year between my 3-D copy of "The Nightmare Before Christmas", and my jealously guarded steelbook DVD of what used to be the Halloween night staple of the Disney Channel, back in those golden days when it still was the Disney Channel:  Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow (1963) 👍 .  Patrick McGoohan's raspy voice as the feared Halloween-costumed Scarlet Pimpernel of the 18th-cty. English smugglers' seacoast used to scare the fertilizer out of me as a kid, but this is right up with Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues as one of the best-darn looking and everything-clicks examples of 50's-60's live-action Disney period-epic...Even McGoohan comes off remarkably game, restrained and mannered in his dual-life role, with none of the smugness or bully-barking that made his "The Prisoner" role occasionally hard to take.  Of course, it's one of the all-time impossible-to-get Holy Grails of DVD if you missed it--and no sign of showing up on Disney+--but that's what YouTube is for:  
  • The Usual Cartoons - The Great Pumpkin (and Snoopy's annual battle with the Red Baron).  Donald Duck in "Trick or Treat".  Bugs Bunny & Witch Hazel, for a warmup (*zoom!* *hairpins*).  And an unusual choice here, as an odd, but sacred tradition--I try to work one Japanese-anime episode into every video holiday, but Halloween episodes tend to be rarer than Christmas ones, since the Japanese famously have no clue what the holiday is about or how to follow the rest of the world's lead in being peer-pressured to celebrate it.  But one exception was an 80's-anime episode of Dirty Pair, where our pair of cute collateral-damage-heavy space mercenaries have to track a Terminator-style robot through the big-city Halloween party, unwittingly stopping other costumed criminals in their capers as well.  Special fondness for this episode, since you not only wish every big-city Halloween party looked like this one, but this episode was also the very first bit of Japanese anime I saw ever, at a comic convention.  (In those days, struggling laserdisc fans spread the word in the marketplace, and knew that this show made newbie converts overnight.)  Fortunately, for those who don't travel in those circles, there's YouTube for that, too:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-Sr5J4mTI

At that point, however, I'm usually holiday'ed out, and just look forward to a month of fall viewing (and the weather getting too cold to go next door to the library), before the sacred rotation of Christmas movies...Darn, and I still haven't upgraded my "Curse of the Cat People" DVD to Blu-ray yet.

• Like 2

Ugh I'm sorry to say I do the same as Eric. Last night I pulled out my DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL DVD to watch half then and half tonight-to be interrupted by trick-or-treaters. It has been several years, if not a decade since I've watched this.

Michael Rennie is perfect as the cold, smug alien. Gort is pretty scary, especially now in the era of Alexa/Siri whom he behaves similarly. Good thing they programmed Gort to only take commands from Klatuu or every kid & parrot in the crows would have him opening the spaceship door or break dancing.

Day The Earth Stood Still is a higher echelon than all other "space alien" films. It's very well acted, and it's a stellar production- the script is beautifully written with an intense story arc. The photography is remarkable, beautiful & moody when it needs to be. The physical special effects are excellent, perfectly believable and eerie. But of course, it's the music that really sets the tone- moody, spooky and monumental. I listen to the CD soundtrack all the time.

Some production pics for your viewing pleasure:

image232.jpeg?w=510&h=398

image45.jpg

Wonder how much of the spaceship they actually built?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Halloween-Viewing Edition:

Halloween is my second Old-Movie holiday along with Christmas

• Disney - While the Ichabod half of The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (1949) 👍  is required every year (those who only associate the Headless Horseman with Johnny Depp, the cure is available),

s movies...Darn, and I still haven't upgraded my "Curse of the Cat People" DVD to Blu-ray yet.

DISNEY'S "ADVENTURE**" OF ICHABOD... may be the most underAPPRECIATED of the entire 20th century Disney canon. It is one GORGEOUS piece of ART.

Ichabod-mr-toad-disneyscreencaps_com-775

vlcsnap-94309.png?w=696

ichabod-mr-toad-disneyscreencaps.com-741

**If one considers being spirited to Hell by a decapitating ghost an "Adventure."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

While the '83 Disney version of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" has October gloominess creeping every pore,

This is a great Halloween movie. Especially the Autumn tinged names of the two boys, Will Halloway and Jim Nightshade. Jason Robards has one of his best roles of the 1980s. There is also an interesting supporting cast:

Royal Dano as the town eccentric.

The still gorgeous Pam Grier as a witch.

Mary Grace Canfield (she was tomboyish "Ralph" on Green Acres) as a strict school teacher

A good role for James Stacey years after his horrific motorcycle accident. 

15 hours ago, kingrat said:

My top pick would have been Richard Widmark, who has both the edge and the sex appeal. Glenn Ford would have worked, too. All of the gentlemen that others have suggested would probably have been better than Wendell Corey, and would make the ending work better. Nonetheless, The Furies is a big favorite of mine, although Stanwyck is about 40 and Vance should probably be in her early to mid twenties. Gilbert Roland is wonderful, and Judith Anderson gets my vote as best supporting actress of the year. I don't think anyone has mentioned Blanche Yurka as Gilbert Roland's mother. She usually scares the willies out of me, and that's exactly what's called for here.

I actually find Wendell Corey somewhat attractive--better than Paul Douglas, that's for sure. I like him opposite Stanwyck in The File on Thelma Jordon, but he's playing a weak man who's a lawyer, and is effectively cast that way. He's also excellent as a drunken flunky in The Big Knife, probably stealing the picture, as the lead actors have to spout reams of Clifford Odets' overblown dialogue.

Yes, I like him in Thelma Jordan. He's perfectly cast.

15 hours ago, kingrat said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned Blanche Yurka as Gilbert Roland's mother. She usually scares the willies out of me, and that's exactly what's called for here.

Knitting furiously in the corner...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

He's pretty good in in a great little Tiki Noir Hell's Half Acre (1954) from  Republic Pictures, it's quite the cast along with Wendell Corey, Evelyn Keyes, Elsa Lanchester (she plays a Honolulu cabby), Marie Windsor, Jesse White, Philip Ahn, and Keye Luke.

HHA13.jpg

HHA18.jpg

HHA19.jpg

HHA11.jpg

HHA12.jpg

I'd love to see this film! Has TCM ever shown it? Maybe Eddie can get it....

also re: WENDELL COREY

I recently rented the RIFFTRAX edition of ASTRO-ZOMBIES (1968) on AMAZON prime; WENDELL COREY has a role (his last) as some sort of GoverNment Agent Type and he is visibly POLLUTED in EVERY SCENE HE IS IN.

Like ELIZABETH TAYLOR giving the Golden Globe to "GLAAAAAAAAADIATOR" levels of CRUNK.

Still doesn't make the performance interesting though

He was good in one of my favorite half hour Hitchcock episodes. The one set in the tropics with the snake......

32 minutes ago, Hibi said:

He was good in one of my favorite half hour Hitchcock episodes. The one set in the tropics with the snake......

I remember some of these from Television back in the day, but wasn't an avid viewer, I was more Twilight Zone-Outer Limits kid.

I picked up the complete set recently (within the past year) gotten as far as disc 3 season 3 so far. What sold me on getting the whole series was the very first episode with Ralph Meeker, Vera Miles, and Ray Teal, made in 1955 same year as Kiss Me Deadly. I liked it because a lot of it was filmed on location.

Since that first episode a lot of the others have been studio bound and seem like filmed plays. Some have been hit some miss. Season 3 seems to have a bit more episodes shot back on location which are more interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ignore "traditions" when it comes to most HOLIDAYS, but one thing I do ca. October 30th or 31st every year, is watch HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) because PEOPLE ARE SICK and there is ALWAYS AN UNEDITED COPY UP ON YOUTUBE.

I have seen a lot of messed up movies, but HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH gets my vote for MOST EFFED UP MOVIE OF ALL TIME.  (and believe me, this is not a call I make lightly)

it is just so EFFORTLESSLY SICK, it's hard to believe A MAJOR FILM STUDIO RELEASED THIS! IN THEATERS! ACROSS THE COUNTRY! WHEN REAGAN WAS PRESIDENT!!!!!!!

And- just as it exists outside of the HALLOWEEN canon in most respects- HALLOWEEN III exists outside of any classification with a standard good/bad; one to four star, scale of one to ten that I could apply to EVERY OTHER MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

IT DEFIES ME.

I GIVE IT NO RATING. IT IS ALL THOSE THINGS and more, it BREAKS the meter.

It is also not boring, which really, is the WORST thing a movie can be.

The music and set design are the freaking creepiest ever.

...and while, yeah, there are weaknesses- they are such GLEEFUL weaknesses, such delightfully "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?' moments, that- you know- in the oddest way, it adds to the HARDCORE MIND**** that this movie holds for me on EVERy SINGLE VIEWING (I think this was my 5th or 6th time...maybe more. God, I need help)

What do you think the costs were to UPS that one PILLAR from STONEHENGE to NORTHERN CALIFORNIA? I can buy that nobody missed it, because I have been to STONEHENGE and it is THAT BORING that no one pays attention and would likely not miss it.

This movie GETS IN YOUR HEAD and LAYS EGGS IN YOUR BRAIN.

Recommended.

I also add that I will protest in front of UNIVERSAL should a rebooted HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH ever be greenlit, although I would be curious about a prequel wherein they explain the whole MAKING OFF WITH PART OF STONEHENGE WHEN NO ONE WAS WATCHING AND GETTING IT ACROSS THE OCEAN AND THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES THING..

9 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I remember some of these from Television back in the day, but wasn't an avid viewer, I was more Twilight Zone-Outer Limits kid.

I picked up the complete set recently (within the past year) gotten as far as disc 3 season 3 so far. What sold me on getting the whole series was the very first episode with Ralph Meeker, Vera Miles, and Ray Teal, made in 1955 same year as Kiss Me Deadly. I liked it because a lot of it was filmed on location.

Since that first episode a lot of the others have been studio bound and seem like filmed plays. Some have been hit some miss. Season 3 seems to have a bit more episodes shot back on location which are more interesting. 

I think I've seen them all by now, but can't be sure. MeTV runs 2 of them from 1-2AM during the week. I agree, they arent all great. There are some I like to watch again, others I've seen enough..

• Like 1

Some of them too, are interesting due to you being able to catch some still around after good film careers and others who'll get bigger later as they rise up.  Like an episode called "Night Caller" which featured a young and on the way up BRUCE DERN. In fact, Dern's been in a few of Hitchcock's episodes.  I've also seen old episodes featuring a yet to be famous ROBERT REDFORD.  

Sepiatone

21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think I've seen them all by now, but can't be sure. MeTV runs 2 of them from 1-2AM during the week. I agree, they arent all great. There are some I like to watch again, others I've seen enough..

Did the episodes stay at 1/2 hour of did they go to 1 hour at some point?

Ugh. I am already ready for this day to be over. I've had my hot coffee poured down my arm and down the side of my car door when the lid popped off as the barista handed me my drink.  On the way to work, I got stuck behind someone driving so slowly that my car could barely make it up the hill.  My phone fell on the floor of the car while driving so I couldn't hear my podcast (my car is old, no AUX hookups).  

And it's cold and I had to scrape frost off my window. Ugh. Even though it's still technically autumn, I despise winter and everything it stands for.  Unless it rains a lot and keeps the snow/ice at bay.  Rain, I can handle. 

So suffice it to say, I am ready to be at home in front of a roaring "fire" (aka electric fireplace) with some movies. I suppose I can hand out candy too, since I have a lot. 

I've already watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.  That's really the only thing I *have* to watch each year.

Last night I watched another Halloween favorite, Clue.  That movie never gets old.

I've also watched Psycho recently. 

I've got a bunch of Vincent Price movies recorded, so maybe I'll watch House of Wax or House on Haunted Hill

I've also got:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie)

Bell, Book and Candle

The Birds 

This Old Dark House

Frankenstein

Little Shop of Horrors (1986 version)

Young Frankenstein

The Cat and Canary

The Stepford Wives (1975) 

I also have another Halloween favorite, Rocky Horror Picture Show, but that film can be a bit much at times. I do love Tim Curry though. 

I obviously don't have time to watch all of these, but I'm sure I can cobble together a good lineup. 

I'm not into more recent (1960s-forward) horror movies, as I find them horribly dull. There has to be some campiness or something to make them entertaining. Things that are just "creepy spirit is haunting the big house we just bought" or "scary creature is attacking us" movies are so blah.  I didn't like The Shining, The Exorcist, or Rosemary's Baby. They were all so boring.

Even though I love Vincent Price and have found the James Whale films entertaining, horror as a whole is one of my least favorite genres.

17 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Some of them too, are interesting due to you being able to catch some still around after good film careers and others who'll get bigger later as they rise up.  Like an episode called "Night Caller" which featured a young and on the way up BRUCE DERN. In fact, Dern's been in a few of Hitchcock's episodes.  I've also seen old episodes featuring a yet to be famous ROBERT REDFORD.  

Sepiatone

Yeah, both Dern and Redford were in several. JoAnne Woodward was in one. A lot of up and comers......

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Did the episodes stay at 1/2 hour of did they go to 1 hour at some point?

They've been a half hour for several years now. Before that they were showing the hour shows for awhile, and before that they were half hours again.

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Ugh. I am already ready for this day to be over. I've had my hot coffee poured down my arm and down the side of my car door when the lid popped off as the barista handed me my drink.  On the way to work, I got stuck behind someone driving so slowly that my car could barely make it up the hill.  My phone fell on the floor of the car while driving so I couldn't hear my podcast (my car is old, no AUX hookups).  

And it's cold and I had to scrape frost off my window. Ugh. Even though it's still technically autumn, I despise winter and everything it stands for.  Unless it rains a lot and keeps the snow/ice at bay.  Rain, I can handle. 

So suffice it to say, I am ready to be at home in front of a roaring "fire" (aka electric fireplace) with some movies. I suppose I can hand out candy too, since I have a lot. 

I've already watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.  That's really the only thing I *have* to watch each year.

Last night I watched another Halloween favorite, Clue.  That movie never gets old.

I've also watched Psycho recently. 

I've got a bunch of Vincent Price movies recorded, so maybe I'll watch House of Wax or House on Haunted Hill

I've also got:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie)

Bell, Book and Candle

The Birds 

This Old Dark House

Frankenstein

Little Shop of Horrors (1986 version)

Young Frankenstein

The Cat and Canary

The Stepford Wives (1975) 

I also have another Halloween favorite, Rocky Horror Picture Show, but that film can be a bit much at times. I do love Tim Curry though. 

I obviously don't have time to watch all of these, but I'm sure I can cobble together a good lineup. 

I'm not into more recent (1960s-forward) horror movies, as I find them horribly dull. There has to be some campiness or something to make them entertaining. Things that are just "creepy spirit is haunting the big house we just bought" or "scary creature is attacking us" movies are so blah.  I didn't like The Shining, The Exorcist, or Rosemary's Baby. They were all so boring.

Even though I love Vincent Price and have found the James Whale films entertaining, horror as a whole is one of my least favorite genres.

Sounds like a great day, Speedy. We are having our first frost tonight (very late this year, but I'm not complaining). I have to get a dozen or so plants back in the house tonight and its been pouring all day. :(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Sounds like a great day, Speedy. We are having our first frost tonight (very late this year, but I'm not complaining). I have to get a dozen or so plants back in the house tonight and its been pouring all day. :(

It's been high 20s all week.  Too cold.  I could have done without having my Dutch Bros pumpkin pie breve* poured down my left arm. And I could have done without having  my driver's door covered in pumpkin pie breve milk foam. Fortunately I was wearing my sherpa fleece, so my arm wasn't burned, but my coat now needs washed.  Also fortunately, I carry around a collection of sweatshirts in my car, so I was able to put something else on that wasn't coated in coffee. The only good thing that came out of that is that I got a free coffee at Dutch Bros. Other than the cold, we've had sunshine all week. It's insane that it's not supposed to rain today.  It always rains on Halloween in Oregon.  Part of your costume decision rests on how well you can incorporate rain gear into it. It's a tradition. 

*I'm not "Basic" as the slang goes around to describe people that like the pumpkin spiced drinks.  I never go to Starbucks (the coffee always tastes burnt).  I legitimately like this drink, it tastes like pumpkin pie. I'm waiting for the Dutch Bros Peppermint Mocha. Yum. 

LOL. Did they replace the drink? We haven't gone below 37, I believe, so far this fall. Tonight are supposed to hit 28 and cold all wknd. UGH. At least we gain an hr of sleep.......