Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Did they replace the drink? We haven't gone below 37, I believe, so far this fall. Tonight are supposed to hit 28 and cold all wknd. UGH. At least we gain an hr of sleep.......

Yes. I got a new drink and a full stamp card for a free one next time. 

The cold wave must be moving away from the Pacific Northwest and toward the Midwest. Our temperature is supposed to go up.  The lows will be above freezing and in the high 50s/low 60s. It's supposed to be a balmy 62 on Saturday.

Just now, Hibi said:

Not too bad (drinkwise)

Yeah.  There are 10 stamps on the card. I would have had to purchase 10 coffees to get a free one. I was going to get a new card and 1 stamp on this visit. So I sacrificed my coat and my car door, but got a free coffee. Maybe it was worth it?

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yeah.  There are 10 stamps on the card. I would have had to purchase 10 coffees to get a free one. I was going to get a new card and 1 stamp on this visit. So I sacrificed my coat and my car door, but got a free coffee. Maybe it was worth it?

LOL.

6 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

It was 70 yesterday 43 last night, 64 today but going down to 33 tonight first time this year.

We already got it yesterday with snow, 28 below, and 12 for the wind chill. All before Halloween.

Well, it's leaving here and heading in another Direction.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:45 PM, cigarjoe said:

He's pretty good in in a great little Tiki Noir Hell's Half Acre (1954) from  Republic Pictures, it's quite the cast along with Wendell Corey, Evelyn Keyes, Elsa Lanchester (she plays a Honolulu cabby), Marie Windsor, Jesse White, Philip Ahn, and Keye Luke.

Yeh, you're right, cigarjoe. Wendell Corey is pretty good in this little noir, shot on location in Honolulu with some striking black and white photography. The dark side of "paradise," this film shows that mean cruel little people are not to be found exclusively in the big cities of continental America. But I wouldn't just give a thumbs up to Corey's work but to that of Evelyn Keyes as well as a vicious Philip Ahn.

Marie Windsor fans might be a bit disappointed by Hell's Half Acre, though, as their favourite hard boiled dame has relatively little to do in this film outside of turn up the radio every time bad boy boyfriend Philip Ahn decides to work over someone or strangle him.

A warning: when a disgustingly sloppy, dumpy Jesse White gets Evelyn Keyes helpless and alone and starts plying her with alcohol it's time for the viewer's skin to start to crawl.

hellshalfacre_390.jpg?1368479089

There's Philip Ahn in the background about to do his "thing" with a frightened character actor used in this film, I'm guessing, because Peter Lorre wasn't available.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Yeh, you're right, cigarjoe. Wendell Corey is pretty good in this little noir, shot on location in Honolulu with some striking black and white photography. The dark side of "paradise," this film shows that mean cruel little people are not to be found exclusively in the big cities of continental America. But I wouldn't just give a thumbs up to Corey's work but to that of Evelyn Keyes as well as a vicious Philip Ahn.

Marie Windsor fans might be a bit disappointed by Hell's Hell Acre, though, as their favourite hard boiled dame has relatively little to do in this film outside of turn up the radio every time bad boy boyfriend Philip Ahn decides to work over someone or strangle him.

*A warning: when a disgustingly sloppy, dumpy Jesse White gets Evelyn Keyes helpless and alone and starts plying her with alcohol it's time for the viewer's skin to start to crawl.

hellshalfacre_390.jpg?1368479089

There's Philip Ahn in the background about to do his "thing" with a frightened character actor used in this film, I'm guessing, because Peter Lorre wasn't available.

*Does this mean we should warn Housewives not to let Jesse White in their homes to repair their Maytag washers and dryers?

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

*Does this mean we should warn Housewives not let Jesse White in their homes to repair their Maytag washers and dryers?

And it might be best to keep Philip Ahn out, too, should he happen to maytag along.

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DISNEY'S "ADVENTURE**" OF ICHABOD... may be the most underAPPRECIATED of the entire 20th century Disney canon. It is one GORGEOUS piece of ART.

**If one considers being spirited to Hell by a decapitating ghost an "Adventure."

Actually, it's the only "true" version of the Washington Irving story, which teasingly hinted (hint-hint) that there was no Headless Horseman, but only bully Brom Bones up to his tricks again, to scare his annoying but superstitious rival out of town.  Whereas every other version of Sleepy Hollow (ahemburton) tries to create a horror/ghost story of the Horseman attacking, 40's-50's Disney had a surprising talent for "getting" the elusive source of a classic story despite the cute trappings

10 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

This is a great Halloween movie. Especially the Autumn tinged names of the two boys, Will Halloway and Jim Nightshade. Jason Robards has one of his best roles of the 1980s. There is also an interesting supporting cast:

Royal Dano as the town eccentric.

And who probably got the role for playing the same mad Bradbury-babbling eccentric as the dockside prophet in John Huston's 1956 "Moby Dick".  And whose creepy presence stole that entire movie as well...It's not easy to fluidly spin off Ray Bradbury's gushy poetry and still have it sound relatively plausible.

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I ignore "traditions" when it comes to most HOLIDAYS, but one thing I do ca. October 30th or 31st every year, is watch HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) because PEOPLE ARE SICK and there is ALWAYS AN UNEDITED COPY UP ON YOUTUBE.

I have seen a lot of messed up movies, but HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH gets my vote for MOST EFFED UP MOVIE OF ALL TIME.  (and believe me, this is not a call I make lightly)

it is just so EFFORTLESSLY SICK, it's hard to believe A MAJOR FILM STUDIO RELEASED THIS! IN THEATERS! ACROSS THE COUNTRY! WHEN REAGAN WAS PRESIDENT!!!!!!!

(Is there an "edited" version?  The theatrical's pretty widely available on disk.)

This was 1982, back when studios still released re-issues in theaters when things got slow, and for four years, Universal had relied on putting John Carpenter's original Halloween in theaters every 31st...Even the poster for Halloween II had to put "All new!" on the front, so fans wouldn't think it was the annual reissue again.  But Carpenter hated sequels--not even bothering to direct #2--he'd had enough of Michael & Dr. Loomis, and pitched the idea of a Halloween anthology if Universal wanted to keep that money-making October brandname slot.  That's usually what confuses most of the fans, ie. "Wait, Michael isn't in this one?  Boo, ripoff, laaaame!"

And what story did Carpenter want to tell first?  As the biggest fanboy of "Quatermass & the Pit" (now available on Blu-ray), he hired Nigel Kneale to write another Quatermass story of ancient forces and near-apocalypse.  The studio tried to Americanize it and turn it into another "slasher" film so teens wouldn't be confused, Kneale objected and took his name off the story, but there's still that neat British Quatermass-ishness lurking somewhere in the background to lay eggs in your brain.  Fans also snicker at the World's Most Annoying Commercial Jingle ("Eight more days till Hal-lo-ween..."), if that was supposed to be part of the movie's Boo-Ripoff-Lame fault, but once the plot thickens, we appreciate the creepy value.

("Don't forget to wear your masks for the Big Giveaway...The clock is ticking...It's almost tiiiime...")  🎃

• Like 2

Senso 1954 by Luchino Visconti restored version with a striking Alida Valli,Farley Granger was he a reddish type of guy? Any way he has reddish tones on his hair.117 minutes great histic melodrama set in 1860 wartime between Italy and Austria, Zeffirelli was assistant director on this one with several others.Beautiful technicolor 8/10

senso.jpg

• Like 1
On 10/29/2019 at 9:32 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Are you kidding me? “Valley of the dolls” got a criterion release??!?!

If you think that's crazy, you must not know that Michael Bay's "Armageddon" also got a Criterion release. One word: WOOF

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

If you think that's crazy, you must not know that Michael Bay's "Armageddon" also got a Criterion release. One word: WOOF

Armageddon and The Rock. I like a lot of junk movies, and action flicks to boot, but thought both of those were atrocious. People thought Criterion had lost their minds, or "sold out, man", but it ended up being an anomaly. That being said, I recall reading that those were the two best selling releases Criterion has ever had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
14 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Lol. That was my reaction when I found out that Armageddon had a Criterion release too. I think I rented that movie in the 90s and remember thinking it was bad. And I was 14-15! Probably the prime demographic.  

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Armageddon and The Rock. I like a lot of junk movies, and action flicks to boot, but thought both of those were atrocious. People thought Criterion had lost their minds, or "sold out, man", but it ended up being an anomaly. That being said, I recall reading that those were the two best selling releases Criterion has ever had.

I demand that “The Long, Long Trailer” receive a Criterion release. 

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

While we're on the topic, I'd love for the Christopher Guest mockumentaries to be released on Criterion.

Yes! I love “Waiting For Guffman.”

“I hate you and I hate your **** face.”

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

They occasionally think it's clever to release two thematically similar titles at the same time to complement each other (eg. "Topsy Turvy" and the 1939 "The Mikado"), and, to bring it full circle, the Criterion edition of Valley of the Dolls was an excuse to release the Criterion edition of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.  Or vice versa, we'll never know for sure.  😕

And just why Armageddon--and "The Rock"--got Criterion editions back in the '99-'00 birth-of-DVD days has a lot to do with the days when only the ex-Voyager Laserdisc company understood what DVD would be for, and most studios didn't have the faintest clue.  MGM and Disney didn't want to bother, so Criterion not only cleaned up on what was available, but directors like Michael Bay (before the Transformers movies, when we still took him semi-seriously) and David Fincher were such Voyager LD fans, they could license their movies to Criterion personally, and their studios wouldn't even bother to complain.  Which is how we got the OOP Criterion editions of Fincher's "The Game" and "Se7en" at the time as well.  Once stubborn studios woke up and started smelling the money by about '01-'02, that didn't happen anymore, and Criterion was no longer allowed grabsies.

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

People thought Criterion had lost their minds, or "sold out, man", but it ended up being an anomaly. That being said, I recall reading that those were the two best selling releases Criterion has ever had.

As the studio cornering the market on the birth of DVD, they also had a rush for releasing titles that MGM didn't want to bother with, giving us the now long-missing Criterion editions of Time Bandits, Life of Brian, This is Spinal Tap, and Robocop.

Many of those Orion movies are now back in public-domain MGM Orphan status twenty years later, so, if we could get a Criterion of Princess Bride, it's not out of the realm of hope that they could bring Spinal Tap and Robocop back too.

Cobra Woman (1944)

This may be the best remembered title of the six Technicolor "sands and sex" costume adventures in which Universal co-starred Maria Montez and Jon Hall during the war years. The "camp" factor is rated high with this film due to the cornball plot and, of course, that title.

Montez - she couldn't sing, she couldn't dance, and her acting was, shall we say, limited. But she had something that seemed just right for these cheesy films that largely appealed to the kid in us. She was an "exotic" beauty from the Dominican Republic, whose halting accented delivery of English dialogue somehow worked in films in which she was playing Sherazade, the Arabian dancing girl (there was a double for any dancing), a Spanish gypsy or, in the case of this film, the evil High Priestess of Cobra Island.

Montez photographed beautifully in colour, for a while enjoying the moniker of "Queen of Technicolor" (before Maureen O'Hara got it) and she wore splashy costumes well. She also behaved in a rather regal manner on screen, and, apparently, that carried over to the studio set, as well. She milked the publicity machine to try to stay on top, with one of her more famous quotes, "When I look at myself I am so beautiful I want to scream." Modest kid, but a natural self promoter. And, when you stop think about it, she was the only Latin movie pin up queen of her time.

In Cobra Woman she plays twins, one good, the other evil (oh, have you heard this one somewhere before?). The good one left Cobra Island as a little girl but is kidnapped and brought back there because her lookalike sister, the High Priestess, is a bad one, with a nasty habit of having some of the residents of the island thrown into "Fire Mountain," a volcano that bumbles and boils (as audience members count the minutes down to its inevitable explosion).

Jon Hall (star of John Ford's The Hurricane and a few beefy years away from being TV's Ramar of the Jungle) plays her boyfriend, a little ticked because she was nabbed off their South Seas isle on what was to be their wedding day. He decides to sail to Cobra Island to save his girl friend from a fate worse than a cobra bite. Tagging along with him is Sabu (who appeared in a number of the early Montez-Hall films as comic relief), as well as a chimpanzee. Edgar Barrier appears as a priest who wants to rule Cobra Island, along with the High Priestess, as well as Lon Chaney Jr. as an initially mysterious character who poses as a blind man (Sabu colourfully refers to him as "Man Mountain").

None of the film is to be taken seriously, of course. Highlight sequence is the cobra ceremony, ruled over by the High Priestess and Priest, along with "King Cobra," a snake the size of a boa constrictor with whom the High Priestess does a sort of shimmy dance nearby daring him to strike her.

cobra.jpg?itok=4UabJ5IU

cobra-woman-1944-001-maria-montez-headdr

I have a weakness for cheese of this kind, having grown up watching a couple of the Arabian Nights adventures in which the two stars appeared together. Cobra Woman is silly, unsophisticated corn but photographed in beautiful Technicolor making it a visually appealing production even if the budget is obviously limited. Surprisingly a couple of major talents are also associated with this film. Robert Siodmak is the director, with Richard Brooks listed as one of the screenwriters (this was definitely NOT one of the six films in his career that would win him an Oscar nomination for his writing).

Montez's time on top was a short one. With the end of WWII audiences drew away from this kind of juvenile escapism, desiring more adult fare. By the end of the decade the actress relocated to France with her husband (French actor Jean Pierre Aumont, who was a bigger star there than in America). Montez would appear in a handful of European productions, little seen in America even to this day, but in a couple of French noirs she equipped herself well playing cold blooded schemers in what may have been the best performances of her career.

Montez drowned in Paris while taking one of her hot reducing baths in 1951. It is suspected she suffered a heart attack. The lady was 39 but, in dying at such an age with her beauty still undiminished, she will forever remain young to those few today who still recall her with affection for her cheesy exotic '40s adventure films.

May there always be a little room in at least a few of our hearts for this Latin Queen of Technicolor.

Maria-Montez-Jon-Hall-Sabu-Cobra-Woman.j

2.5 out of 4

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It’s been almost 80° every day in October, it even scratched 90 a few days ago in Coastal NC.

We had a week of near 90 temps the first week of Oct. but those days are gone! Freezing now.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Cobra Woman (1944)

This may be the best remembered title of the six Technicolor "sands and sex" costume adventures in which Universal co-starred Maria Montez and Jon Hall during the war years. The "camp" factor is rated high with this film due to the cornball plot and, of course, that title.

Montez - she couldn't sing, she couldn't dance, and her acting was, shall we say, limited. But she had something that seemed just right for these cheesy films that largely appealed to the kid in us. She was an "exotic" beauty from the Dominican Republic, whose halting accented delivery of English dialogue somehow worked in films in which she was playing Sherazade, the Arabian dancing girl (there was a double for any dancing), a Spanish gypsy or, in the case of this film, the evil High Priestess of Cobra Island.

Montez photographed beautifully in colour, for a while enjoying the moniker of "Queen of Technicolor" (before Maureen O'Hara got it) and she wore splashy costumes well. She also behaved in a rather regal manner on screen, and, apparently, that carried over to the studio set, as well. She milked the publicity machine to try to stay on top, with one of her more famous quotes, "When I look at myself I am so beautiful I want to scream." Modest kid, but a natural self promoter. And, when you stop think about it, she was the only Latin movie pin up queen of her time.

In Cobra Woman she plays twins, one good, the other evil (oh, have you heard this one somewhere before?). The good one left Cobra Island as a little girl but is kidnapped and brought back there because her lookalike sister, the High Priestess, is a bad one, with a nasty habit of having some of the residents of the island thrown into "Fire Mountain," a volcano that bumbles and boils (as audience members count the minutes down to its inevitable explosion).

Jon Hall (star of John Ford's The Hurricane and a few beefy years away from being TV's Ramar of the Jungle) plays her boyfriend, a little ticked because she was nabbed off their South Seas isle on what was to be their wedding day. He decides to sail to Cobra Island to save his girl friend from a fate worse than a cobra bite. Tagging along with him is Sabu (who appeared in a number of the early Montez-Hall films as comic relief), as well as a chimpanzee. Edgar Barrier appears as a priest who wants to rule Cobra Island, along with the High Priestess, as well as Lon Chaney Jr. as an initially mysterious character who poses as a blind man (Sabu colourfully refers to him as "Man Mountain").

None of the film is to be taken seriously, of course. Highlight sequence is the cobra ceremony, ruled over by the High Priestess and Priest, along with "King Cobra," a snake the size of a boa constrictor with whom the High Priestess does a sort of shimmy dance nearby daring him to strike her.

cobra.jpg?itok=4UabJ5IU

cobra-woman-1944-001-maria-montez-headdr

I have a weakness for cheese of this kind, having grown up watching a couple of the Arabian Nights adventures in which the two stars appeared together. Cobra Woman is silly, unsophisticated corn but photographed in beautiful Technicolor making it a visually appealing production even if the budget is obviously limited. Surprisingly a couple of major talents are also associated with this film. Robert Siodmak is the director, with Richard Brooks listed as one of the screenwriters (this was definitely NOT one of the six films in his career that would win him an Oscar nomination for his writing).

Montez's time on top was a short one. With the end of WWII audiences drew away from this kind of juvenile escapism, desiring more adult fare. By the end of the decade the actress relocated to France with her husband (French actor Jean Pierre Aumont, who was a bigger star there than in America). Montez would appear in a handful of European productions, little seen in America even to this day, but in a couple of French noirs she equipped herself well playing cold blooded schemers in what may have been the best performances of her career.

Montez drowned in Paris while taking one of her hot reducing baths in 1951. It is suspected she suffered a heart attack. The lady was 39 but, in dying at such an age with her beauty still undiminished, she will forever remain young to those few today who still recall her with affection for her cheesy exotic '40s adventure films.

May there always be a little room in at least a few of our hearts for this Latin Queen of Technicolor.

Maria-Montez-Jon-Hall-Sabu-Cobra-Woman.j

2.5 out of 4

COBRA WOMAN!!! On my TOP TEN list of films I've never seen that I so much want to see! :( Will TCM EVER show it?

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

Many of those Orion movies are now back in public-domain MGM Orphan status twenty years later, so, if we could get a Criterion of Princess Bride, it's not out of the realm of hope that they could bring Spinal Tap and Robocop back too.

Robocop is getting a deluxe Blu-ray release at the end of November courtesy of Arrow Video. 

91ToraTGY0L._SX342_.jpg

https://www.arrowfilms.com/product-detail/robocop-limited-edition-blu-ray/FCD1918