Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...


speedracer5
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Robocop is getting a deluxe Blu-ray release at the end of November courtesy of Arrow Video. 

91ToraTGY0L._SX342_.jpg

https://www.arrowfilms.com/product-detail/robocop-limited-edition-blu-ray/FCD1918

I have never seen Robocop.  I don't know how I managed to avoid it for so long. It seems like a movie that I've heard about my whole life, that I have seen it. But I really haven't.

I should borrow it from the library.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I demand that “The Long, Long Trailer” receive a Criterion release. 

I saw a 2001 comedy the other day and thinking now, I wonder if a running gag was meant to be a homage to that: a bus filled with Lucille Ball impersonators. All of whom cried like her and had the same hair as her, and resented being denigrated by another character. Made me laugh pretty hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

If you think that's crazy, you must not know that Michael Bay's "Armageddon" also got a Criterion release. One word: WOOF

 

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Armageddon and The Rock. I like a lot of junk movies, and action flicks to boot, but thought both of those were atrocious. People thought Criterion had lost their minds, or "sold out, man", but it ended up being an anomaly. That being said, I recall reading that those were the two best selling releases Criterion has ever had.

 

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol. That was my reaction when I found out that Armageddon had a Criterion release too. I think I rented that movie in the 90s and remember thinking it was bad. And I was 14-15! Probably the prime demographic.  

At times like this I have to quote from Roger Ebert's review of Armageddon. Absolutely hysterical.

Quote

Here it is at last, the first 150-minute trailer. "Armageddon" is cut together like its own highlights. Take almost any 30 seconds at random, and you'd have a TV ad. The movie is an assault on the eyes, the ears, the brain, common sense and the human desire to be entertained. No matter what they're charging to get in, it's worth more to get out.

....

OK, say you do succeed in blowing up an asteroid the size of Texas. What if a piece the size of Dallas is left? Wouldn't that be big enough to destroy life on Earth? What about a piece the size of Austin? Let's face it: Even an object the size of that big Wal-Mart outside Abilene would pretty much clean us out, if you count the parking lot.

.....

The movie begins with a Charlton Heston narration telling us about the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs. Then we get the masterful title card, "65 Million Years Later." The next scenes show an amateur astronomer spotting the object. We see top-level meetings at the Pentagon and in the White House. We meet Billy Bob Thornton, head of Mission Control in Houston, which apparently functions like a sports bar with a big screen for the fans, but no booze. 

....

"Armageddon" reportedly used the services of nine writers. Why did it need any? The dialogue is either shouted one-liners or romantic drivel. "It's gonna blow!" is used so many times, I wonder if every single writer used it once, and then sat back from his word processor with a contented smile on his face, another day's work done.

Disaster movies always have little vignettes of everyday life. The dumbest in "Armageddon" involves two Japanese tourists in a New York taxi. After meteors turn an entire street into a flaming wasteland, the woman complains, "I want to go shopping!" I hope in Japan that line is redubbed as "Nothing can save us but Gamera!"

....

Staggering into the silence of the theater lobby after the ordeal was over, I found a big poster that was fresh off the presses with the quotes of junket blurbsters. "It will obliterate your senses!" reports David Gillin, who obviously writes autobiographically. "It will suck the air right out of your lungs!" vows Diane Kaminsky.

If it does, consider it a mercy killing.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I saw a 2001 comedy the other day and thinking now, I wonder if a running gag was meant to be a homage to that: a bus filled with Lucille Ball impersonators. All of whom cried like her and had the same hair as her, and resented being denigrated by another character. Made me laugh pretty hard.

Was that The Rat Race ? I think I remember when that came out and I remember seeing the Lucy scene. I don't think I've ever seen the actual movie. In her movie career, Lucy seems to have trouble with trailers and campers.

I'm not sure if it was an homage or not. I hadn't heard that it was. If it wasn't, then it should have been. I find The Long, Long Trailer very relevant to my every day life.  

---

When disappointed about the size/look of something seen online:

"It (the "bungalette") looked enormous in the ad!" 

---

When something isn't what you were expecting when you get home:

"It's a fine thing when you come home to your home and your home is gone."

---

When you've figured out the solution to your problem:

"I know what happened! They sent two sets of towels!"

---

To provide advice/encouragement to someone driving:

"Trailer brakes first!" 

---

To provide (un)helpful help on navigating the city in a large vehicle:

"Think of it has a train behind you--40 feet of train!" 

---

To tell someone to be quiet:

"Save it Joe!"

---

Navigation while driving:

"Turn right here left!"

---

To express irritation when above navigation was incorrect:

"Have you any conception how much room it takes to turn this thing around? We may have to go on for miles and miles!"

*I was able to (jokingly) use this on my husband when we accidentally turned the wrong way in CA on our honeymoon.  The "thing" we were driving was my Toyota Corolla, which made the quote even funnier. 

---

To express anger for someone damaging your property:

"My rose! My rose! You tore down my rose with your lousy, stinking trailer!" ::Fake sob::

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, speedracer5 said:

Was that The Rat Race ? I think I remember when that came out and I remember seeing the Lucy scene. I don't think I've ever seen the actual movie. In her movie career, Lucy seems to have trouble with trailers and campers.

I'm not sure if it was an homage or not. I hadn't heard that it was. If it wasn't, then it should have been. I find The Long, Long Trailer very relevant to my every day life.  

---

When disappointed about the size/look of something seen online:

"It (the "bungalette") looked enormous in the ad!" 

---

When something isn't what you were expecting when you get home:

"It's a fine thing when you come home to your home and your home is gone."

---

When you've figured out the solution to your problem:

"I know what happened! They sent two sets of towels!"

---

To provide advice/encouragement to someone driving:

"Trailer brakes first!" 

---

To provide (un)helpful help on navigating the city in a large vehicle:

"Think of it has a train behind you--40 feet of train!" 

---

To tell someone to be quiet:

"Save it Joe!"

---

Navigation while driving:

"Turn right here left!"

---

To express irritation when above navigation was incorrect:

"Have you any conception how much room it takes to turn this thing around? We may have to go on for miles and miles!"

*I was able to (jokingly) use this on my husband when we accidentally turned the wrong way in CA on our honeymoon.  The "thing" we were driving was my Toyota Corolla, which made the quote even funnier. 

---

To express anger for someone damaging your property:

"My rose! My rose! You tore down my rose with your lousy, stinking trailer!" ::Fake sob::

 

 

Yes, that was Rat Race. The Lucy scenes were the highlight of the film which was a cross between It's a Mad mad mad Mad World and the anything goes, over the top style of Ruthless People. Not sophisticated comedy at all (the Lucy scenes were the classiest ones in the film on the whole), but fun none the less with an exceedingly game cast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have never seen Robocop.  I don't know how I managed to avoid it for so long. It seems like a movie that I've heard about my whole life, that I have seen it. But I really haven't.

I should borrow it from the library.

The sequels are awful, but the original is a classic if you know the secret:

Writer Ed Neumeier wanted to adapt the violent 80's-satirical black-humor of DC Comics' "Judge Dredd", but couldn't get the license, so he just changed Dredd's origin, gave him a different costume/setting, turned his "I am the Law!" into Robocop's three Directives, and made him an original character, but kept the funky tone of the cult comics.  (Which, to be fair, Steven DeSouza at least tried to capture in the tongue-in-cheek 1995 Sylvester Stallone movie, a lot more than the grim blood-soaked '12 Karl Urban version.)

And thanks to Paul Verhoeven's taste for inappropriately black-humored action, the resemblance is often uncanny...

costume1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Navigation while driving:

"Turn right here left!"

Haha I blurt that one out too on road trips (as navigator supervisor)

I've never seen Robocop, Mad Max or Blade Runner. Am I missing anything more than anger, gore and special effects? From pictures & clips they seem claustrophobic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2019 at 9:33 AM, TomJH said:

Cobra Woman (1944)

This may be the best remembered title of the six Technicolor "sands and sex" costume adventures in which Universal co-starred Maria Montez and Jon Hall during the war years. The "camp" factor is rated high with this film due to the cornball plot and, of course, that title.

May there always be a little room in at least a few of our hearts for this Latin Queen of Technicolor.

Maria-Montez-Jon-Hall-Sabu-Cobra-Woman.j

2.5 out of 4

This is getting a nice Blu-ray release from KL Studio Classics, on January 7th.

81WmhuMGMWL._SX385_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

This is getting a nice Blu-ray release from KL Studio Classics, on January 7th.

81WmhuMGMWL._SX385_.jpg

White Savage, the second of the Montez-Hall films, is unavailable on home video. There are only a few sub par prints of this film in circulation on the internet. My understanding is that it's the only one of the six films to never be broadcast on AMC when they were showing their older catalogue.

Nice to see that Cobra Woman is apparently getting the deluxe treatment, at least. It is currently available in a nice print with great colour from the Universal Vault Collection. I'm assuming it's been leased to Kino by Universal for the blu ray.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN (2019) Wow very impressive Neo Retro Noir along the lines of Chinatown, but set in NYC. Great Cast also, highly recommend for Noir Lovers. With a great cast too boot. 9/10

The ads I've seen for Motherless Brooklyn look so great and I've been curious about this film so thanks for the post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I've never seen Robocop, Mad Max or Blade Runner. Am I missing anything more than anger, gore and special effects? From pictures & clips they seem claustrophobic.

I love Blade Runner (1982) very much but I doubt you would be fond of it. It is full of anger. Overcrowding is a substantial motif. I can not speak towards the gore as I am fairly immune to it as long as it is done well. The special effects enhance the setting rather than being a dominant element. 

I find it more than a little sad that you will not experience the "tears in rain" soliloquy. It is one of the most powerful speeches in any movie. I am sure that there are clips of it on: YouTube and other sources but it can not be truly appreciated out-of-context. It is as if the entire movie builds to it. It moves his death away from being a personal concern and takes it into the realm of a loss to all mankind. The true meaning is not in the words themselves. It is in all the things which brought him to that point.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I've never seen Robocop, Mad Max or Blade Runner. Am I missing anything more than anger, gore and special effects? From pictures & clips they seem claustrophobic.

In addition to the analysis of Robocop--which plays its R-rated bullet-count for offbeat satire, with weird Peter Weller giving it gravitas by playing it in dead straight perfect Marvel-type-hero character--

Mad Max plays more like the "Secret Origins" of Mel Gibson's better-known post-apocalyptic Road Warrior and Fury Road.  (And "Beyond Thunderdome" which I happened to like more, and is a more mainstream PG-13 for those who want to dip their toes in the water first.)  But the first Max isn't a particularly great film, as it was made back in the humble drive-in days of 70's Oz-ploitation, it's a pre-apocalyptic highway picture, and as Quentin Tarantino once put it, "You're know you're in Australia, when you're chased by a sadistic biker gang."

As for Blade Runner, yes, it has special effects, but this would be one of the, er...artsier Ridley Scott films to hit the mainstream.  Everything's so deeply buried in the look of neon stylizing, future-noir, and Philip K. Dick ruminations on robot identity, it's a bit impenetrable (I remember it flopping with puzzled theater audiences in '82), but it is, quite literally, worth a LOOK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2019 at 7:32 PM, speedracer5 said:

Lol. That was my reaction when I found out that Armageddon had a Criterion release too. I think I rented that movie in the 90s and remember thinking it was bad. And I was 14-15! Probably the prime demographic.  

I know I'm rather late, but the commentary by Ben Affleck on "Armageddon" is one of the most humorous things I've heard in my life. It's on YouTube. Be forewarned, there is an F bomb, but for those of you who are curious, it's pretty entertaining.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really is mildly annoying that Armageddon got a nice release with extras and everything while the more obscure titles like Gate of Hell got zero extras. Criterion is a business though like the rest and it is good that Armageddon made them so much money that they can use to refurbish and release more films.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’m not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but “blade runner” (1982?) is actually set in November 2019, so it’s supposed to be happening now.

(Oogie boogie)

 Yea they should have went with 3019 like 2001 A Space Odyssey should have went with 3001.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

 Yea they should have went with 3019 like 2001 A Space Odyssey should have went with 3001.

Yeah, the makers didn't figure in how the malaise of the 70's; cocaine in the 80's; and prescription opiods and internet p*rn from 2000 onwards would set back the progress of technology.

(personally, i think it's kind of for the best)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, the makers didn't figure in how the malaise of the 70's; cocaine in the 80's; and prescription opiods and internet p*rn from 2000 onwards would set back the progress of technology.

(personally, i think it's kind of for the best)

 

Yea otherwise this.....

4Uv9xHN.jpg

Twump Luna Lago could be a reality

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...