Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

On 11/2/2019 at 10:43 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I sort of apologize because this really doesn’t have anything to do with anything I just watched, but I spent part of my tax refund on this and oh my God I’m so happy with it that I had to share:

4806BFE9-5348-43F1-BEB4-B74FE1F406C5.jpeg

That's wicked! I don't believe I've ever seen that poster before. Nice find.

37 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

That's wicked! I don't believe I've ever seen that poster before. Nice find.

I haTE to give a plug for THE FORCES OF EVIL, but, amazon.com has a pretty amazing selection of vintage reprints- I think a lot of print shops will just run the image and print it out on poster paper- this came with FREE SHIPPING TOO.

To complete THE CIRCLE OF EVIL, I had it framed at HOBBY LOBBY.

(sinister laughter)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I haTE to give a plug for THE FORCES OF EVIL, but, amazon.com has a pretty amazing selection of vintage reprints- I think a lot of print shops will just run the image and print it out on poster paper- this came with FREE SHIPPING TOO.

To complete THE CIRCLE OF EVIL, I had it framed at HOBBY LOBBY.

(sinister laughter)

Lol.

I have never set foot in a Hobby Lobby.  They are just starting to make it to Oregon.  However, there's probably a reason I've never set foot in Hobby Lobby (I rarely go to Michaels too for what it's worth, I mostly only go there for frames).  My crafting skills are nil.  I actually find most crafting incredibly tedious and stressful. It does not bring me any enjoyment whatsoever.  The extent of my crafting skillz is coloring. I am very good at coloring. 

Crafts and I are not simpatico.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.

I have never set foot in a Hobby Lobby.  They are just starting to make it to Oregon.  However, there's probably a reason I've never set foot in Hobby Lobby (I rarely go to Michaels too for what it's worth, I mostly only go there for frames).  My crafting skills are nil.  I actually find most crafting incredibly tedious and stressful. It does not bring me any enjoyment whatsoever.  The extent of my crafting skillz is coloring. I am very good at coloring. 

Crafts and I are not simpatico.

(i feel dirty for knowing all this but...) HOBBY LOBBY is kinda more of a HOME DECOR store, I mean they've got paints and balsa kits and yarn and stickers and fabric and fake flowers BUT, they also have a lot of hard goods (furniture, plant stands, pedastals, vases, etc) manufactured in third world countries that they jack the base price way up on and then sell to you at "50%" off that price.

it's a genius business model and some of their stuff is ******* CUTE.

(GOD FORGIVE ME.)

they also have SUPER CHEAP FRAMING, and you can get in and out in the same day...EVERY TIME I have tried to go somewhere else to get something framed it's been "leave it with us for 2 weeks and it'll be $350.00."

• Haha 1

Finally got around via DVD to a film I wanted to see for years, Lovers and Other Strangers (1970). It didn't disappoint. It's a sharp, lively ensemble comedy drama that feels very much of the time it was made, but also has some timeless insights about relationships that would ring true in any era. The cast is wonderful, cast to perfection, although Oscar nominee Richard Castelliano and Bea Arthur steal the show from everyone else.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Finally got around via DVD to a film I wanted to see for years, Lovers and Other Strangers (1970). It didn't disappoint. It's a sharp, lively ensemble comedy drama that feels very much of the time it was made, but also has some timeless insights about relationships that would ring true in any era. The cast is wonderful, cast to perfection, although Oscar nominee Richard Castelliano and Bea Arthur steal the show from everyone else.

I love Richard Castellano in this film. So deadpan, so funny. One of the best films of that year.

• Thanks 1

ATTN HIBI AND VAUTRIN:

best FEAR THY NEIGHBOR ever was on this weekend. I don’t remember the specific title but it was about a neighborhood in Flint Michigan where this really hideous couple and their two thieving sons end up **** off everybody in the neighborhood so much, the villagers literally come to get them with pitchforks and torches at the end. It was epic.

(I kind of thought about posting this in the NOIR ALLEY thread)

On 8/27/2019 at 2:11 PM, LawrenceA said:

From Beyond the Grave  (1974)  -  6/10

15064_1_front.jpg

British horror anthology from Amicus. Four stories are connected by a visit to a strange antiques shop run by Peter Cushing. In the first story, David Warner buys a cursed mirror that compels him to murder. In the second, henpecked husband Ian Bannen makes friends with poor street vendor Donald Pleasence, who, along with his creepy daughter (played by Donald's actual daughter Angela Pleasence), offer to help deal with his shrewish wife Diana Dors. In the third tale, Ian Carmichael buys a snuff box that causes him to be targeted by an "elemental", a supernatural being that only spiritualist Margaret Leighton can get rid of. And in the fourth and final tale, Ian Ogilvy buys a strange medieval door imbued with satanic energy. This is typical of the other Amicus horror anthologies of the time, a passable way to waste some time, but nothing too memorable or extraordinary.

Source: Warner Archive DVD

1449898648_b328aada63_o.jpg

1449898970_b259ce20b1_o.jpg

My favorite story was An Act of Kindness.  I liked the unexpected ending, and the ghostly appearance of Angela Pleasence’s character, Emily. I thought The Elemental was more funny than scary. Margaret Leighton’s Madame Orloff reminded me of Hermione Gingold’s character in Bell, Book and Candle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a somewhat soft spot for those 1970's (and some early eighties) British Horror Anthologies from AMICUS, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE just isn't one of my favorites- I'd rate ASYLUM, VAULT OF HORROR, and THE MONSTER CLUB (a personal fave, faults and all) a little higher.

although Ian Ogilvey is GORGEOUS!

(ps- i'm pretty sure they're all on u-yay ube-tay or dailymotion)

On 11/4/2019 at 4:29 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’m not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but “blade runner” (1982?) is actually set in November 2019, so it’s supposed to be happening now.

(Oogie boogie)

It couldn't be happening now. It never rains like that in Los Angeles.

• Haha 1

I recently rewatched Casablanca (1942). I had seen it before and the result was mostly the same... I have no idea what to truly think of it. I really loved the acting and writing of the film. I think these are it’s strongest aspects. I remember finishing it and remarking, “that was pretty darn good” but then not much else. I can’t put my finger on why I feel this way. It’s a great film nonetheless and I respect its place in history. Maybe its my age? Im 23, but then again I love and adore movies even older then this one so I have no clue. I may never know why. But for now, I recognize it as a great film and respect it greatly, even if it’s not my favorite.

I also watched the Marx Bros. film A Day At the Races(1937). In stark contrast to the previous film, I loved this one.  Great wit, charm and comedy abode in this one. Not quite as masterful as Horse Feathers, Duck Soul or A Night At the Opera in my mind but still a good time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Casey06 said:

I recently rewatched Casablanca (1942). I had seen it before and the result was mostly the same... I have no idea what to truly think of it. I really loved the acting and writing of the film. I think these are it’s strongest aspects. I remember finishing it and remarking, “that was pretty darn good” but then not much else.

The opinion you express is still a pretty good one. You might be cowering a bit over it's overwhelming reputation. I am three times your age and have only relatively recently watched it for the first time. I did a bit cowering myself, knowing beforehand that this might be the most beloved movie of all time. I didn't have to worry about not liking it though, I felt a mounting exhilaration for the thing within the first half hour. But I haven't found it necessary to glorify it beyond all others, at least not yet. But I certainly thought, like you, that "it was pretty darn good," and without apology for not putting it on the highest pedestal.  //

1 minute ago, laffite said:

The opinion you express is still a pretty good one. You might be cowering a bit over it's overwhelming reputation. I am three times your age and have only relatively recently watched it for the first time. I did a bit cowering myself, knowing beforehand that this might be the most beloved movie of all time. I didn't have to worry about not liking it though, I felt a mounting exhilaration for the thing within the first half hour. But I haven't found it necessary to glorify it beyond all others, at least not yet. But I certainly thought, like you, that "it was pretty darn good," and without apology for not putting it on the highest pedestal.  //

Thanks! I thought it was funny since I’ve seen so many movie with arguably bigger reputations then this like Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather etc. but I think all of those films are some of my all time favorites and I feel live up to the reputation. But who knows? Maybe it’s just that one all time classic that I can’t get super behind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey06 said:

Maybe it’s just that one all time classic that I can’t get super behind. 

That's the way I feel about both Citizen Kane and Gone with the Wind. I respect their skill and artistry, and liked them both, but would never count either among my favorites. I like Casablanca a bit more than you did, but don't feel the need to re-visit it very often. 

• Like 1

There are some "classics" that I like, and like a lot, but can pass up depending on my mood and what else is available.  And there are the few that I'll make sure I tune in to watch, but that could be too, for different reasons(like not frequently shown, etc.)   "Just saw it a few days ago" is one reason I'll pass one by.  I don't mind watching some movies several times, but not in a row.  I do prefer some time(like up to a week) goes by until the next viewing. ;)   And so, with CASABLANCA, if it's coming on TCM and I haven't seen it for some time, since it's already starting I'll keep seated.  Then I won't have to dig out my 50th anniversary VHS tape.  ;)  And, the idea of, "that one all time classic"?  According to who? Seems mighty subjective to me.  I like certain movies because they appeal to me, and not because some group of snobs think I should. 

Sepiatone

6 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

There are some "classics" that I like, and like a lot, but can pass up depending on my mood and what else is available.  And there are the few that I'll make sure I tune in to watch, but that could be too, for different reasons(like not frequently shown, etc.)   "Just saw it a few days ago" is one reason I'll pass one by.  I don't mind watching some movies several times, but not in a row.  I do prefer some time(like up to a week) goes by until the next viewing. ;)   And so, with CASABLANCA, if it's coming on TCM and I haven't seen it for some time, since it's already starting I'll keep seated.  Then I won't have to dig out my 50th anniversary VHS tape.  ;)  And, the idea of, "that one all time classic"?  According to who? Seems mighty subjective to me.  I like certain movies because they appeal to me, and not because some group of snobs think I should. 

Sepiatone

It is subjective of course, but considering the legacy and reputation of the film, I feel it safe to say that most people see it as an all time classic. 

I love Casablanca.  It's not my #1 favorite film (that is of course, The Long Long Trailer), but it's probably my #2 favorite film.  I've seen it multiple times, I have a special boxed set that I think was released for the 65th anniversary? I don't remember.  I think I've seen the movie in the theater at least twice, maybe three times. I always go see it if I happen to see that it's going to be in the theater. 

I just love the movie because I love the mood of the film. The cast is perfect, especially Humphrey Bogart and Claude Rains. I love the camaraderie between Bogart and Dooley Wilson (Sam).  "As Time Goes By" is a great song and Sam as a great voice. I've heard Sinatra sing it, but I much prefer Dooley Wilson's rendition. While this film is considered one of the great romances of all time, between Rick and Ilsa, I think this same angle could be applied to Rick and Louis (albeit, platonic). 

The supporting cast are so much fun (save for the lady with the guitar that sings that annoying song) and are excellent. The scene where the French sing "La Marseillaise" and drown out the German's "The Watch on the Rhine" is a very powerful scene, especially when Laszlo joins in. 

The film is also so quotable, such a fantastic script.  I also love the set and very much wish that I could patronize Rick's, but only if Rick himself is there. Lol. 

I just love this movie.  Everything about it is excellent. I find myself getting wrapped up in the story, and even though I know how it's going to end, I still anticipate the scene at the airport and the close up of the Vichy water bottle in the trash. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Casey06 said:

It is subjective of course, but considering the legacy and reputation of the film, I feel it safe to say that most people see it as an all time classic. 

As AN "all time classic" perhaps, but I'd say most don't feel it's THE "all time classic" like some others might.

Sepiatone

20 minutes ago, Casey06 said:

Uh,  I feel it is safe to say that most people (as in the current, living, American General public),  haven't seen the film and I suspect don't even know it was ever made.

PS:  I've been watching America Says, the game show that ask cultural questions where one fills in the "blank".    

E.g. when I think of dancers and singers I think of _____ (blank).    Now there are 8 "answers" and the first letter is given.    One team goes first: well this team did well with M J (Michael Jackson),  and other contemporary "talent".    There was one they couldn't get;   F. A.      Now I'm yelling at the T.V. what should be obvious to anyone at this forum.     OBVIOUS!    The other team did get it since they had some older members.  

Fred Astaire.    But NO Gene Kelly,  NO Judy Garland,,,,,,      

I hope my overall point is clear.

If you don't like a film regarded as a classic, you should probably see a psychiatrist because there may be something wrong with you.

Just a personal philosophy I have in life that I thought I'd pass on.

(By the way, a friendly warning: those psychiatric bills can really add up. I know, I may have to sell my house soon. I just saw 2001: A Space Odyssey again the other day and thought, "What the heck! This thing still SUCKS!").

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

If you don't like a film regarded as a classic, you should probably see a psychiatrist because there may be something wrong with you.

Just a personal philosophy I have in life that I thought I'd pass on.

(By the way, a friendly warning: those psychiatric bills can really add up. I know, I may have to sell my house soon. I just saw 2001: A Space Odyssey again the other day and thought, "What the heck! This thing still SUCKS!").

Lol. I'll be right in the psychiatrist office with you.  There are quite a few classics that I've viewed and after seeing it, I was like "that was it?" "Did I miss something?"

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol. I'll be right in the psychiatrist office with you.  There are quite a few classics that I've viewed and after seeing it, I was like "that was it?" "Did I miss something?"

The bigger the film's reputation the more likely that some will be left scratching their heads about it, I strongly suspect.

I'm looking forward to see The Irishman, getting rave reviews, now in the theatres, and I fully expect to be disappointed.

Road House (1989)

I borrowed this movie as part of my 80s-90s nostalgia wave. When I thought "Road House" I only thought of that episode of "Family Guy" when Peter buys a copy of "Road House" from a video store that's going out of business. He starts roundhouse kicking everything in sight. After he destroys something (or someone) with his kick, he says "Road house."

Anyway I borrowed this film mainly for its cult classic status and Patrick Swayze (RIP). 

This film was ridiculous.

"Road House" tells the story of Dalton, a "cooler" who is hired by the owner of a small town dive bar in Jasper, MO. Dalton is hired to clean up the bar, as it has devolved into a very dangerous establishment. This place is so dangerous and rowdy that the house band plays behind a cage and the wait staff regularly engages in brawls with the patrons. This story used one of the common Western film tropes-- a new Sheriff is hired and brought in to clean up the town. That is essentially Dalton's role in this film. He's kind of the Gordon Ramsey of the bar scene. He's brought in to clean things up and kick out the riff raff. And boy is there a lot of riff raff to clean up.

The conflict in "Road House" is that there is a gang, led by Brad Wesley (Ben Gazzara) whose entire MO it seems is to intimidate the local business people into giving them money and favors in exchange for not being beat up or having their businesses destroyed. Most of the town (including law enforcement!) is scared of Wesley and his gang and the group pretty much has full run of everything--including the bar where Dalton is hired. Wesley and his gang begin to resent Dalton's presence, because he isn't a pushover and isn't letting them have full reign.

Much of the action of the film involves Dalton fighting Wesley and his gang of ruffians. Wade Garrett (Sam Elliott), Dalton's friend and mentor, who also works as a cooler at another club/bar, arrives in town to help out his friend. Together, Wade and Dalton try to take on Wesley. And of course, because this is Patrick Swayze, there is a love story intertwined, when he hooks up with his ER surgeon (Kelly Lynch). 

The bar scenes are crazy. A lot of nudity, fighting, violence, everything. The opening scene melee resembles the wild saloon fight in "Dodge City" or "Blazing Saddles." Jeff Healy plays the lead singer/guitarist of the house band, and they're fantastic. I especially loved their cover of The Doors' "Roadhouse Blues." 

Anyway. If you're adverse to movies with violence (including a particularly spectacular Rambo-esque turn for Swayze near the end of the film), nudity, and language, then this film isn't for you. But, if you're interested in a ridiculous trashy movie, with great music, then this is worth a watch.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

"I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead." - Sam Elliott

roadhouse6.jpg

"Pain don't hurt." - Patrick Swayze

giphy.gif

Sam Elliott was awesome in this movie.  I also enjoyed Patrick Swayze's tai-chi scenes (or whatever he was doing). 

Image result for road house gif

HAHAHA

Image result for road house gif

LOL.

There was another one I wanted to put up but it had language.  I didn't want my thread to get rated!