Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ATTN HIBI AND VAUTRIN:

best FEAR THY NEIGHBOR ever was on this weekend. I don’t remember the specific title but it was about a neighborhood in Flint Michigan where this really hideous couple and their two thieving sons end up **** off everybody in the neighborhood so much, the villagers literally come to get them with pitchforks and torches at the end. It was epic.

(I kind of thought about posting this in the NOIR ALLEY thread)

Yeah, I didnt believe anything that couple said. Family of thieves! I cant believe he shot that guy 4 or 5 times and didnt go to jail! The other guy did, but apparently not for long as he was out when he was interviewed. Hard to believe they never caught that mass arsonist! And who leaves a down payment of a couple of thousand IN CASH in their car??? Talk about stupid!

The finale was like something outta Deliverance!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I didnt believe anything that couple said. Family of thieves! I cant believe he shot that guy 4 or 5 times and didnt go to jail! The other guy did, but apparently not for long as he was out when he was interviewed. Hard to believe they never caught that mass arsonist! And who leaves a down payment of a couple of thousand IN CASH in their car??? Talk about stupid!

The finale was like something outta Deliverance!

I KNOW RIGHT? Although, I have to salute her son's A+ THIEVERY GAME when they stole the $1600 from the woman's purse while she and their mother were having a fight in the street, i man, I HAD to give them some kind of credit FOR THAT.

WHO LEAVES THEIR HOUSE UNLOCKED IN FLINT, MICHIGAN???????????

I usually don't "take sides" in FEAR THY NEIGHBOR (usually I just think they're all awful), but for some reason I was 100% on the side of the guy who fixed bikes and lived on the street already

Man, maybe it's the SOUTHERNER in me (mandatory politeness) but I have to admit, if one of my neighbors stuck their head through my kitchen window and started pouring gasoline in my sink and then lit it, I would kind of HAVE to wonder if perhaps *I* had somehow messed up BIG TIME.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I KNOW RIGHT? Although, I have to salute her son's A+ THIEVERY GAME when they stole the $1600 from the woman's purse while she and their mother were having a fight in the street, i man, I HAD to give them some kind of credit FOR THAT.

WHO LEAVES THEIR HOUSE UNLOCKED IN FLINT, MICHIGAN???????????

I usually don't "take sides" in FEAR THY NEIGHBOR (usually I just think they're all awful), but for some reason I was 100% on the side of the guy who fixed bikes and lived on the street already

Man, maybe it's the SOUTHERNER in me (mandatory politeness) but I have to admit, if one of my neighbors stuck their head through my kitchen window and started pouring gasoline in my sink and then lit it, I would kind of HAVE to wonder if perhaps *I* had somehow messed up BIG TIME.

What is this Fear Thy Neighbor that you've been talking about? I have never heard of it except for here. Is it a True Crime show? A fictional show?

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

What is this Fear Thy Neighbor that you've been talking about? I have never heard of it except for here. Is it a True Crime show? A fictional show?

It's a show on the Dateline ID channel. On Sat. nights (this season) at 10pm.

No, they are true cases. And the people involved are interviewed between re-enactments by actors. Things don't usually end well (with people getting killed).

• Thanks 2

Been on a bit of a divided tear, classic and recent today, but the most recently finished was Bureau of missing Persons earlier when it aired. At first, though it still had that early 30s WB/First National snap, it was a bit standard, but things really brightened in the later sections when Bette came to the fore. Having seen her in so many roles both sympathetic or nasty over the years, the stages in which you had to guess which side of the law her character was on were downright exciting and suspenseful. A nice little way to spend 72 minutes.

• Like 1

I’ve got a lot to catch up on here. Recently I watched The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad(1973). I’m a big fan of Ray Harryhausen’s work and I wasn’t disappointed. It’s a fun fantasy adventure with some amazing effects. The acting and dialogue is hokey but that’s not why I watch these kind of movies. If your a fan of Harryhausen’s work I recommend it. 7/10.

I also recently saw the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1956). I loved every minute of it. The concept is brilliant, timely and still relevant today. It’s more thematically scary then visually scary, but I find that more terrifying personally. Loved it! 10/10.

Then I saw My Favorite Year(1982). It was a sweet and fun comedy and Peter O’Toole was brilliant. Not the most revolutionary or genre bending film but still worth the watch for O’Toole fans. Loved that he was basically playing Errol Flynn. 7/10.

Finally there was The Mayor Of Hell(1933) with James Cagney. I liked this way more then I thought I would. Cagney is great as usual but I found the story and side characters the most compelling. 8/10.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It's a show on the Dateline ID channel. On Sat. nights (this season) at 10pm.

No, they are true cases. And the people involved are interviewed between re-enactments by actors. Things don't usually end well (with people getting killed).

Interesting.  I'll have to see if I have the Dateline ID Channel.

Did you know that a new Forensic Files is starting next year? I wonder who they'll get to narrate. The original narrator died. He had such a soothing voice. I could fall asleep to Forensic Files

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No, I hadn't heard that. They've been showing reruns for years.

Yeah.  It's always playing on HLN. I think that is the only show they have.  They may play 1 episode of that Ashley Banfield show and 1 episode of Nancy Grace screaming at people at one point, but that's it.

Each time I turn on Forensic Files, it's always an episode that I've seen before.  

I think my favorite episode is this one where this guy kills this woman in the bathroom and leaves her body in the bathtub.  The only evidence they had was a shoe print found in a hamburger bun that was lying on the floor in the bathroom.  It seems that the killer needed a bag for his gun and could only find a bag of hamburger buns.  He dumped the buns out in the bathroom, stepped on one, and hightailed it out there with the gun.  I think they were able to bring in their "shoeprint in the hamburger bun" expert*, and the culprit was caught. 

I on the other hand, during all the investigation, was saying to the TV: "get the luminol!" 

*Okay not really, it was some sort of footprint expert though. I have legit seen an episode with a garbage bag expert though. 

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I don't remember that one. I thought I'd seen them all.

Lol. My favorites (if you can call a show about murder a "favorite") are the ones with the dumb spouse thinking that he or she can kill their significant other because they've got a new paramour.  Those *never* work out because they're always so sloppy in their work! Don't keep your bloody murder clothes in your personal vehicle! Don't throw them away in the garbage outside your home! Come on people! 

I found out I do have Dateline ID.  Channel 192.  There are episodes of Fear They Neighbor On Demand too.  

Oh, good! They have a lot of good shows on Dateline ID. All true crime.

Yeah, so many of these crimes are so stupid and pointless. They always get caught. It's either jealousy/infidelity; insurance money or not wanting to pay alimony/child support etc.

I've been watching some older sci-fi TV shows. I re-watched seasons two and three of the original Star Trek, which I hadn't watched since buying the complete series on Blu-ray. I recalled most of the episodes, but there were a few that I didn't remember at all, like one with a pregnant Julie Newmar. Anyway, I liked seeing them again, and they looked great in HD.

eba0fce065eb96ceedd58607e0afaa52.jpg

I also watched two Doctor Who serials, 1967's "The Tomb of the Cybermen" and 1968's "The Mind Robber", both starring Patrick Troughton as the second Doctor. The former serial was very enjoyable, as I enjoy stories that deal with alien archaeology, and I've always liked the Cybermen. "The Mind Robber" wasn't as good, but it had some interesting touches. The Doctor and his two current companions end up stranded in an alternate dimension where fictional beings come to life, including the Minotaur and Medusa. These were the first serials with Troughton that I've ever seen. He was quite a contrast to William Hartnell's grouchy original Doctor, with Troughton playing him as a bit of a goof, dressed in over-sized clothing and with a shaggy mop of dark hair.

1332272427_8.jpg

themindrobbertrio.jpg

patrick-troughton-second-doctor-e1527711

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Oh, good! They have a lot of good shows on Dateline ID. All true crime.

Yeah, so many of these crimes are so stupid and pointless. They always get caught. It's either jealousy/infidelity; insurance money or not wanting to pay alimony/child support etc.

Yes I concur.  On Forensic Files, there are these motives:

1) Found new lover, wants to kill current lover to escape financial repercussions. Or on the flip-side, the spouse finds out about the infidelity and seeks revenge.

2) Takes out insurance policy on spouse (without their knowledge) and miraculously that spouse just happens to "accidentally" fall off a dock and drown, or get into a car crash and fall down a ravine.  What are the odds?

3) Rando at bar is upset that someone rejected them, so they decide to get revenge.

4) Teenager is mad at parents because he or she (usually she) is mad that the parent won't allow them to see their boyfriend/girlfriend (probably a reason, if your boyfriend/girlfriend would willingly go along with murdering your parents, there is something wrong with them).

---

Another one I watched was about this serial rapist/killer.  He purposely went after women sleeping in ground floor bedrooms.  After his latest crime (in which the victim survived because she played dead, thus was the only victim who actually saw him and could provide a description), the police showed the sketch of the killer on the local news.  This guy, who lived nearby, thought (for whatever reason) that he could assist in the investigation of the case and wanted to know how he could help.  He went down to the police station to inquire.  Well, it just so happened that his physical appearance very closely matched the sketch of the killer.  He ended up being arrested and held for suspicion of murder.  Well... it turns out that it wasn't him.  He just by pure coincidence, happened to be the doppelganger of the real perpetrator.  They found the real killer at a town nearby. 

---

One of the saddest ones I ever saw was this woman who had just moved to a small town in somewhere like New Mexico or Arizona.  She went with a group of friends to this bar.  While at the bar, they chatted up these guys.  Later, her friends decided that they were going to leave with a couple of other guys they met at the bar. They ask their friend if she wanted a ride home.  Well this woman decides that she wants to stay :( The friends do not stay with her and leave her at the bar. Well the bar closes, and she gets a ride home with the random guys that she was talking to earlier.  

She's never seen alive again.

The police end up finding her body in some remote area of a desert in either Arizona or New Mexico. She'd been sexually assaulted and murdered. 

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

there were a few that I didn't remember at all, like one with a pregnant Julie Newmar.

That episode just aired on ME-TV this past Saturday. I had forgotten it completely too.

All my ringtones are Star Trek quotes. Scottie's last line in Tribbles' is designated to work related contacts.

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol. My favorites (if you can call a show about murder a "favorite") are the ones with the dumb spouse thinking that he or she can kill their significant other because they've got a new paramour.  Those *never* work out because they're always so sloppy in their work! Don't keep your bloody murder clothes in your personal vehicle! Don't throw them away in the garbage outside your home! Come on people! 

I found out I do have Dateline ID.  Channel 192.  There are episodes of Fear They Neighbor On Demand too.  

I think the channel's official name is "INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY"- although it could legit be called DATELINE ID because about 1/3 of their programming is DATELINE NBC Episodes from the last 20 years which they retitle "DATELINE ON ID."

Most of their other shows are middling-to-not-so-great, and there are a few terrible ones- FEAR THY NEIGHBOR is easily the best show on the network and honestly- I'd say one of the best shows on TV right now.

The eps are always tightly directed and shot on location and the editing and lighting is great and it seems like they get really good local actors who often resemble the principles (only slightly less ugly)...and it has this GENIUS trick of ROPING YOU IN TO THE CONFLICT and manipulating you to where you're talking back to the TV and taking sides and generally enjoying how effed up these people are...

UNTIL...

**** goes SIDEWAYS BIG TIME in the last act. oftentimes completely innocent people get killed and you sit there just PROFOUNDLY DISTURBED and GUILTY AS HELL to have been drawn SO COMPLETELY in to the escalating DRAMA and TACKINESS.

SPOILER KINDA- for example, one previous episode which seemed pretty mundane about a family in Minnesota fighting over lake access with their elderly neighbor blew up when he came over one day and SHOT THEM ALL (kids too)- and only one survived. they played 911 audio and it messed me up.

it's a great show for many reasons- but it also perfectly encapsulates AMERICA IN 2019- where the CRAZY is just CONTAGIOUS and it seems like we can't live in peace for all the absolute MANIACS who weren't raised right running around with assault weapons.

edit- the episode is called BOOMTOWN and it has been uploaded to u-yay ube-tay for any who are interested and don't have it on their cable systems.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think the channel's official name is "INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY"- although it could legit be called DATELINE ID because about 1/3 of their programming is DATELINE NBC Episodes from the last 20 years which they retitle "DATELINE ON ID."

Most of their other shows are middling-to-not-so-great, and there are a few terrible ones- FEAR THY NEIGHBOR is easily the best show on the network and honestly- I'd say one of the best shows on TV right now.

The eps are always tightly directed and shot on location and the editing and lighting is great and it seems like they get really good local actors who often resemble the principles (only slightly less ugly)...and it has this GENIUS trick of ROPING YOU IN TO THE CONFLICT and manipulating you to where you're talking back to the TV and taking sides and generally enjoying how effed up these people are...

UNTIL...

**** goes SIDEWAYS BIG TIME in the last act. oftentimes completely innocent people get killed and you sit there just PROFOUNDLY DISTURBED and GUILTY AS HELL to have been drawn SO COMPLETELY in to the escalating DRAMA and TACKINESS.

SPOILER KINDA- for example, one previous episode which seemed pretty mundane about a family in Minnesota fighting over lake access with their elderly neighbor blew up when he came over one day and SHOT THEM ALL (kids too)- and only one survived. they played 911 audio and it messed me up.

it's a great show for many reasons- but it also perfectly encapsulates AMERICA IN 2019- where the CRAZY is just CONTAGIOUS and it seems like we can't live in peace for all the absolute MANIACS who weren't raised right running around with assault weapons.

edit- the episode is called BOOMTOWN and it has been uploaded to u-yay ube-tay for any who are interested and don't have it on their cable systems.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, that episode was very sad (the one where almost the whole family was killed). I rarely watch Dateline on NBC, so all those shows are new to me. I think they sometimes update them with case updates (after they've been originally aired). I like most of the shows. They vary in quality. Some shows I cant watch even though the show itself is good, because I can't stand the host, like PAULA ZAHN, who seems to be a superstar on the network. Her series runs twice as long as the other shows aired (usually 3 months for a normal show). Or JOE TESTA. UGH! What I like about the network is there is constant turnover all year long. So there are always new shows or old shows with new episodes airing. Sometimes a case will pop up on multiple shows over time, I've noticed...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes I concur.  On Forensic Files, there are these motives:

1) Found new lover, wants to kill current lover to escape financial repercussions. Or on the flip-side, the spouse finds out about the infidelity and seeks revenge.

2) Takes out insurance policy on spouse (without their knowledge) and miraculously that spouse just happens to "accidentally" fall off a dock and drown, or get into a car crash and fall down a ravine.  What are the odds?

3) Rando at bar is upset that someone rejected them, so they decide to get revenge.

4) Teenager is mad at parents because he or she (usually she) is mad that the parent won't allow them to see their boyfriend/girlfriend (probably a reason, if your boyfriend/girlfriend would willingly go along with murdering your parents, there is something wrong with them).

---

Another one I watched was about this serial rapist/killer.  He purposely went after women sleeping in ground floor bedrooms.  After his latest crime (in which the victim survived because she played dead, thus was the only victim who actually saw him and could provide a description), the police showed the sketch of the killer on the local news.  This guy, who lived nearby, thought (for whatever reason) that he could assist in the investigation of the case and wanted to know how he could help.  He went down to the police station to inquire.  Well, it just so happened that his physical appearance very closely matched the sketch of the killer.  He ended up being arrested and held for suspicion of murder.  Well... it turns out that it wasn't him.  He just by pure coincidence, happened to be the doppelganger of the real perpetrator.  They found the real killer at a town nearby. 

---

One of the saddest ones I ever saw was this woman who had just moved to a small town in somewhere like New Mexico or Arizona.  She went with a group of friends to this bar.  While at the bar, they chatted up these guys.  Later, her friends decided that they were going to leave with a couple of other guys they met at the bar. They ask their friend if she wanted a ride home.  Well this woman decides that she wants to stay :( The friends do not stay with her and leave her at the bar. Well the bar closes, and she gets a ride home with the random guys that she was talking to earlier.  

She's never seen alive again.

The police end up finding her body in some remote area of a desert in either Arizona or New Mexico. She'd been sexually assaulted and murdered. 

Yeah, I think you've covered all the bases! The saddest cases are the ones where the person just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time or the wrong person was killed etc. You just never know what will happen in life. Not something I like to think about.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, that episode was very sad (the one where almost the whole family was killed). I rarely watch Dateline on NBC, so all those shows are new to me. I think they sometimes update them with case updates (after they've been originally aired). I like most of the shows. They vary in quality. Some shows I cant watch even though the show itself is good, because I can't stand the host, like PAULA ZAHN, who seems to be superstar on the network. Her series runs twice as long as the other shows aired (usually 3 months for a normal show). Or JOE TESTA. UGH! What I like about the network is there is constant turnover all year long. So there are always new shows or old shows with new episodes airing. Sometimes a case will pop up on multiple shows over time, I've noticed...

WE'RE SIMPATICO ON PAULA ZAHN.

I wish they showed better episodes of DATELINE NBC- most of the ones they show are kinda mundane and often hosted by JOSH MANKIEWICZ who I CANNOT STAND. they usually show more recent eps of DATELINE, which I hate- because I can still remember episodes from 20 years ago i would love to see again.

i cannot recall what the title is, but the OFFICIAL WORST SHOW IN INVESTIGATION ID is the one where these two IDIOT "PSYCHOLOGISTS" (one is a blonde woman named ROBBI LUDWIG or something_ and the other is A BALD IDIOT WHO WEars GLASSES FRAMES WITH NO LENSES ) INTERRUPT THE NARRATION TO GIVE YOU THESE "NO ****, SHERLOCK" OBSERVATIONS that even the DUMBEST viewer REALLY DOES NOT NEED.

Like, if you were just a spine watching you'd be like "you know, I'm just a spine with no brain, but even MY INTELLIGENCE is a little insulted here..."

EDIT- IT'S "SCORNED: LOVE KILLS"