Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 11/24/2019 at 7:31 AM, TikiSoo said:

I just watched 2 movies recorded last month from TCM:

IN PERSON '35

This was kind of early in Ginger's career, right at the beginning of her Astaire/Rogers musicals. This was most likely one of her first leading roles and she shows her ability to carry a lightweight romantic comedy. The usual fluff plot: a beautiful actress can't deal with fame so she goes out in public disguised with wig, glasses & crazy teeth. She meets up with the male romantic lead, big bottomed George Brent who is kind to her, but is certainly not attracted to her. (I found this sort of shallow on his part) They end up alone together on a vacation and (spoiler?) he falls in love with her "personality".

OK a pretty bland programmer made watchable by the talented sparkling Ginger Rogers. She has a few song & dance numbers and I was happy to see she can hold her own without Fred. I don't know who said she was "inferior" and needed Fred to make her look better dancing- she dances great. And with Hermes Pan choreographing, dances just as well without Fred.

Ginger Harlow anyone?

MV5BMzVkOTQ4MWUtMDljOC00YTQzLThlMjAtYjJm

Second feature was 1942's FINGERS AT THE WINDOW. Just another 80 minute programmer about an axe murderer stalking the heroine played by Laraine Day. This was my first time seeing Day as well as Lew Ayres and they both made quite an impression. Day is gorgeous and Ayres is extremely likable, reminding me a bit of Jack Lemmon.

Spoilers here include: Girl is lying & motive needs to be unwrapped, young & handsome Basil Rathbone is the villain, although not the killer. Another simple picture, but well acted and fun. I had always heard about Lew Ayres, but never actually saw him in a leading role. He's nothing like I had imagined, but I do wonder why he didn't become a bigger star. Enjoyable double feature-like a movie novella.

%22Fingers_at_the_Window%22_(1942).jpg

How do you like this poster? "Danger at Nightfall, Romance at Daybreak" woo-hoo!

Ginger could dance without Fred,she was  a very good singer and dancer actually Astaire said in 1986"All the girls I ever danced with thought they couldn't do it. So they always cried. All except Ginger. No, no, Ginger never cried".About the second feature Lew Ayres was married to Ginger,her second one,i think the first one in 1929 was annulled not sure though...

Lawrence, how was Space 1999? I loved Barbara Bain on Mission: Impossible. She had a beautiful low-pitched voice to go with her classic beauty.

And about All About Eve: I'm quite fond of Gary Merrill in this and other films. His solid and unshowy presence helps to anchor the film. He's as sane as a man could be who marries Margo Channing. I even think he's sexy. Bette obviously did, since she married him. He's another actor with a distinctive and attractive voice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Lawrence, how was Space 1999? I loved Barbara Bain on Mission: Impossible. She had a beautiful low-pitched voice to go with her classic beauty.

It was okay, at least the first season. It played things very straight, with little to no levity, and things could get portentous and dull. Martin Landau seemed to have trouble saying his lines with a straight face occasionally. There was also very little character development (I think it was several episodes in before Barbara Bain's character was even given a first name). Third-listed co-star Barry Morse complained about the lack of humanity and left the show after season one. A new co-producer came in on season two and tried to jazz things up with scripts focusing more on action and aliens-of-the-week, as well as adding several new "sexier" young co-stars, most notably Catherine Schell as the shape-shifting alien Maya. It got very silly. The production values were good for the time and the format, though, and there are several notable guest stars from British film and television (the series was filmed in the UK).

• Thanks 1

05.jpg?1482421671

The Junk Shop (1965) Juraj Herz, Czechia - the first film of Juraj Herz is a short film about a wacky, sometimes h.orny junk shop keeper and his insane customers, including an older woman with dementia who only recalls her youth as a famed beauty and an angry mom who constantly searches for her bratty kid. This isn't a great film but it is a decent start for the acclaimed director. The soundtrack was also very nice. It was by Zdenek Liska. 

15 hours ago, kingrat said:

It's Gerry Anderson, so basically a big-budget Thunderbirds--It was originally supposed to be a spinoff of the 60's British-staticky "UFO" series, so this one is mid-70's where UFO was early-70's.

As Lawrence says, Martin Landau is the American captain of the moonbase, and while his taking everything with deadly seriousness usually helps a movie (like Ed Wood or Crimes &   Misdemeanors), it's often a bit embarrassing here.

Still, TWO classic 70's TV-themes, that you only wish the show could have been as cool or exciting as:   B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpX8bVEmJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsmefY94E_0

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BETTE (IN MOVIE STAR HEAVEN) LOOKING DOWN AT ME RIGHT NOW LIKE:

giphy.gif

Careful there, LHF.  Bette's the kind of chick who wouldn't say anything, but she would put that cigarette out on your forehead just to prove a point!  😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, nakano said:

Ginger could dance without Fred,she was  a very good singer and dancer actually Astaire said in 1986"All the girls I ever danced with thought they couldn't do it. So they always cried. All except Ginger. No, no, Ginger never cried".About the second feature Lew Ayres was married to Ginger,her second one,i think the first one in 1929 was annulled not sure though...

Who said I have a big bottom? :(

• Haha 1

I forgot a couple of other shows I've watched recently:

The Immortal, which lasted all of 15 episodes in 1970/71, as well as a pilot movie in 1969, featured Christopher George as a test driver for a major corporation who discovers that he has a mutation in his blood making him immortal, as well as immune to disease and allowing fast healing from injury. Old Howard Hughes-like billionaire Barry Sullivan gets a transfusion of George's blood and gets invigorated, but only for a short time. He needs periodic transfusions to continue feeling the effect, so he tries to have George kidnapped and kept captive as a source, leading George to go on the run. The show turned into a dull clone of The Fugitive.

the_immortal_1970.jpg

Star Trek: The Animated Series, which ended up being much better than expected, thanks to the participation of most of the original show's cast (Walter Koenig's Chekov wasn't included) and a good pool of writers.

star-trek-the-animated-series-cbs.jpg?w=

Wonder Woman season one, set during WWII, which tries a little for 60's-TV Batman camp but doesn't go crazy enough to match that show's appeal. The highlight for me was seeing Debra Winger as Wonder Girl, Wonder Woman's teenage sister/sidekick.

f320af_f5400e6c596f48a8bd64ec4d5d2d12b0.

Now I'm watching the brief first season of the notoriously awful The Amazing Spider-Man, with Nicholas Hammond as Peter Parker. I did perk up a bit when one of the guest stars was JoAnna Cameron from The Secrets of Isis.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Star Trek: The Animated Series, which ended up being much better than expected, thanks to the participation of most of the original show's cast (Walter Koenig's Chekov wasn't included) and good pool of writers.

The animated series originally planned to write out George Takei and Nichelle Nichols--replacing them with Lt.'s Aryx and M'ress, in back--but it was Leonard Nimoy who pushed to have all the cast back again, since Uhura and Sulu were the two "inclusive" characters on the original series.

(It's still as staticky as anything else that came out of the He-Man producers, though.)

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Wonder Woman season one, set during WWII, which tries a little for 60's-TV Batman camp but doesn't go crazy enough to match that show's appeal. The highlight for me was seeing Debra Winger as Wonder Girl, Wonder Woman's teenage sister/sidekick.

The first season was trying for 60's Batman camp, but by the second season, Chris Reeve Super-mania set in with the kid audience, they abandoned the WWII setting, and had Wonder Woman now doing straightforward 70's-show plots in the present (she's an immortal Amazon, you know).  Which made the first season an anomaly best forgotten.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

...Now I'm watching the brief first season of the notoriously awful The Amazing Spider-Man, with Nicholas Hammond as Peter Parker. I did perk up a bit when one of the guest stars was JoAnna Cameron from The Secrets of Isis.

hqdefault.jpg

Oh, I can certainly understand that, Lawrence.

Miss Cameron would always "perk" me up too back in the day whenever I'd run across her in something, and like she did in that 1971 Rock Hudson film Pretty Maids All in a Row she had a small featured part in before she'd star in that Saturday morning kids TV program...

50e2831a73b28226629601ec497590c5.jpg

(...always thought it a shame her career never much went anywhere)

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I forgot a couple of other shows I've watched recently:

The Immortal, which lasted all of 15 episodes in 1970/71, as well as a pilot movie in 1969, featured Christopher George as a test driver for a major corporation who discovers that he has a mutation in his blood making him immortal, as well as immune to disease and allowing fast healing from injury. Old Howard Hughes-like billionaire Barry Sullivan gets a transfusion of George's blood and gets invigorated, but only for a short time. He needs periodic transfusions to continue feeling the effect, so he tries to have George kidnapped and kept captive as a source, leading George to go on the run. The show turned into a dull clone of The Fugitive.

the_immortal_1970.jpg

Star Trek: The Animated Series, which ended up being much better than expected, thanks to the participation of most of the original show's cast (Walter Koenig's Chekov wasn't included) and a good pool of writers.

f320af_f5400e6c596f48a8bd64ec4d5d2d12b0.

Now I'm watching the brief first season of the notoriously awful The Amazing Spider-Man, with Nicholas Hammond as Peter Parker. I did perk up a bit when one of the guest stars was JoAnna Cameron from The Secrets of Isis.

hqdefault.jpg

OMG! Winger must've been desperate.

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

OMG! Winger must've been desperate.

She got an "introducing" credit. She was in a few episodes, and the producers planned a spin-off series starring her, but Winger didn't like working on the show, and used her paycheck to buy herself out of her Warner Brothers contract so she wouldn't have to appear in any more. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh, I can certainly understand that, Lawrence.

Miss Cameron would always "perk" me up too back in the day whenever I'd run across her in something, and like she did in that 1971 Rock Hudson film Pretty Maids All in a Row she had a small featured part in before she'd star in that Saturday morning kids TV program...

50e2831a73b28226629601ec497590c5.jpg

(...always thought it a shame her career never much went anywhere)

Agree about JoAnna Cameron.  Besides "Isis", I remember her from a 1973 TV movie called, "The Great American Beauty Contest".  I think Cameron played Miss Oklahoma.  Farah Fawcett played Miss Texas, and Christopher Norris, who later in the decade went on to play a nurse on "Trapper John, M.D.", was Miss Utah.  Leading the cast were Eleanor Parker, Robert Cummings, and Louis Jourdan.  Brett Somers, a staple panelist on the 1970's revival of "The Match Game" and Jack Klugman's wife, played Fawcett's chaperone.

The pageant is beset with problems from losing money, judges rigging the voting in exchange for some sex from the contestants, and sponsors making demands on the pageant organizers.  Throw in an element of feminists who not only send a 'plant' into the pageant as a contestant, but plan a prime-time protest on national television to draw attention to the objectification of young, attractive women, and you've got yourself an Emmy-nominated masterpiece!***

According to IMDB, Cameron just turned 68 and hasn't had a screen credit in acting or directing since 1982.  Her biography indicates she was working in the marketing department for a hotel in Hawaii as of 2003.

***Just kidding on this.  The show received no Emmy consideration whatsoever!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the additional info on Miss Cameron here, midwesty.

I've just now found what looks like a fairly recent photo of her on the net and with what appears to be a lei around her neck, it seems to confirm your info about her Hawaiian residence of late...

Joanna_Cameron_2009_02-750120.jpg

(...still a very attractive lady, I'd say)

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I watched another Doctor Who serial, The Robots of Death, with the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) and his scantily-clad companion Leela (Louise Jameson) arriving on a planet aboard a large, mobile mining station populated by a wealthy and pampered elite serviced by a large number of robots. When people start showing up dead, the Doctor is blamed, but he thinks the robots have broken with their programming and are now homicidal. 

robots+of+death+1.jpg

Now I've started Washington: Behind Closed Doors, a TV mini-series based on a book by John Ehrlichman that presents a barely fictionalized portrait of the Nixon administration, with Jason Robards as the Nixon stand-in. Also with Cliff Robertson, Robert Vaughn (who won an Emmy for his performance), Stephanie Powers, Lois Nettleton, John Houseman, Andy Griffith (as the LBJ stand-in), and many others. I've finished the first 100-minute segment, with 5 more to go. If the whole thing is as much of a snoozefest as part one, NipkowDisc will have some explainin' to do.

MV5BMTc5NTQzMTcwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjk5

I haven't see this mini-series myself, and it's hard to believe that a program with such talent could be a snoozefest, but then again 1963's CLEOPATRA had a great cast too, and that movie bored me silly, so anything is possible.

6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I haven't see this mini-series myself, and it's hard to believe that a program with such talent could be a snoozefest, but then again 1963's CLEOPATRA had a great cast too, and that movie bored me silly, so anything is possible.

Yikes...you quoted something I deleted. Guess I wasn't fast enough. :( 

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

The Irishman pretty much agree with the general consensus, about a 9/10, could be the last hurrah for some of the crew.

I really enjoyed this movie except for the endless credits roll at the end. Not sure when that tradition began but I really find it annoying. And you pretty much have to watch a lot of it to see what actor played what role.

• Like 1