Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 12/2/2019 at 1:55 PM, EricJ said:

The movie may disappoint those looking for low-camp, being produced more on a straightforward TV-style B-budget, with the usual race-appeasing scenes of our antihero knocking stake-wielding modern-day white LA cops across the room.

As for the whites, don't forget the presence of Elisha Cook Jr. who stands out in his small role.

BLAC9.png

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

"Mary Queen of Scots" (2018) last night just in time before the free HBO ended.

Character portrayers are great but it's too low key in drama / action.   Margot Robbie does look like the Queen Elizabeth I painting but had no idea she had such bad hair. :lol:*

pri_50030011.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

MV5BNDVmOGI4MTMtYmNmNC00MTliLTlkYjQtYmU2

* I don't see anything wrong with her hair.

But I suppose there are just some people who hate red hair. And I've heard in Great Britain there are even some who dislike people because they have red hair-- they call them gingers.

I think red hair is extraordinary and striking and so few people have it naturally.

23 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

But I suppose there are just some people who hate red hair. And I've heard in Great Britain there are even some who dislike people because they have red hair-- they call them gingers.

I think red hair is extraordinary and striking and so few people have it naturally.

Uh,  it doesn't look like she is going bald to you???

(or is that some type of make-up cap that is applied before the wigs are used for filming?).

Also,  why is she so white?    I have heard that gingers often stay out of the sun because it causes freckles,  but for all I know this is an urban legend.   

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

(or is that some type of make-up cap that is applied before the wigs are used for filming?).

Also,  why is she so white?    I have heard that gingers often stay out of the sun because it causes freckles,  but for all I know this is an urban legend.   

Elizabeth I had various skin and hair issues, much like many people in the less-than-hygienic 16th century. She suffered from various maladies, and also wore lead-based make-ups that caused further hair loss and skin problems. She often wore ornate wigs and heavy make-up in public.

For further info:

Unhealthy Times of Queen Elizabeth I

https://www.cebm.net/2018/10/11378/

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Elizabeth I had various skin and hair issues, much like many people in the less-than-hygienic 16th century. She suffered from various maladies, and also wore lead-based make-ups that caused further hair loss and skin problems. She often wore ornate wigs and heavy make-up in public.

For further info:

Unhealthy Times of Queen Elizabeth I

https://www.cebm.net/2018/10/11378/

I was talking about the modern day actress featured in the photo,  who is Margot Robbie.    

So are you confirming that her 'look' in that photo is a result of make-up preparation for her role as a 16th century women?

Either way she looks much different than this:

Margot Robbie at Somerset House in 2013 (cropped).jpg

On 12/2/2019 at 9:47 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Was visiting family this weekend. they have DEE'S KNEE PLUS, so I had a FASCINATING double feature of THE BLACK CAULDRON (1985)- which I had not seen in YEARS- and FROZEN (2014?), which I had heretofore managed to avoid.

I don't go to movie theaters anymore, but from the early eighties up to about 2004, I used to go ALL THE TIME, and TO THIS DAY, i can still recall (I was eight years old) THE AUDIENCE REACTION to THE BLACK CAULDRON in THE THEATER, which- to approximate it crudely- FELL INTO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TWO CATEGORIES:

The older kids/ parents:

tumblr_ma69fkGNiW1rdutw3o1_r1_400.gif

THE YOUNGER children:

arsenio.gif

GOD BLESS THE EIGHTIES, MAN.

Anyhoo, seeing it all these years later, it makes me miss HANDDRAWN ANIMATION- this film is SO GORGEOUS. There is a decidedly truncated feel to it- but that is because about 10 minutes of footage were excised for being deemed "too ****ed up even for 1985."

I remember being terrified by Cauldron the first time around. It took me over 13 years to get back to it, and when I saw it again, I loved it. It really is super dark but unlike some other Disney films (*cough* Atlantis: The Lost Empire *cough*), its not only dark, but also sometimes darkly amusing and good-hearted over all to boot, well you know when the living skeletons aren't walking around or the horned king is on screen. And it is gorgeous, the crispest looking animated film between the late 50s and early 90s. And that super score by Elmer Bernstein was Oscar-worthy. It's actually in my top 10 for 1985 and in my top 10 favorite Disney animated films now.

The left-out footage included the skeletons ripping the flesh off the bones off one of the living guards, which would have put it into PG-13 territory (cue the smelling salts!)

PS: Your 80s comment reminds me of the old IMDb boards, with some people saying how they thought some recent kids films were disturbing. The 80s kids were like "You don't know about disturbing kid's films, you didn't live through the 80s, I did!" :D [But in general, boy do I miss the 80s and 90s films, both films for adults and for kids. They felt like the last decades of excellence]

• Like 1
On 12/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, EricJ said:

You want F'ed up childhood 80's Disney trauma?  Only one name is legend:  Return to Oz (1985), now unearthed from studio shame, is now free for viewing on Disney+ (as is every other obscure 80's-90's title that got a Disney Movie Club exclusive Blu-ray master).

I am NOT being ironic in calling it "Pure distilled childhood nightmare-fuel"--You can sense that there was a good book-friendly script (and a fantastic score), which was then handed to a deranged, incoherent madman of a director with some deep inexplicable issues.

Return to Oz indeed could fuel children's nightmares, but it made the critical mistake of trying to emulate The Wizard of Oz with the bookend segments that "It was all a dream," or, in the case of Return to Oz, a nightmare. Perhaps someone could take a deep breath and work from the assumption, as in ALL of the Oz books, including the original, that Oz is real and a much more desirable place to live than Kansas. Dorothy, Toto, Uncle Henry, and Aunt Em ("Auntie Em" is only in the movie) actually go to Oz permanently in The Emerald City of Oz. Return to Oz is a mishmash of The Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz, but the plot isn't bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have heard that gingers often stay out of the sun because it causes freckles,  but for all I know this is an urban legend.   

Simple Explanation: The mutated MC1R-gene which commonly causes hair to be red also reduces melanin concentration in the skin. The value is so low that the skin does not tan to any great extant and does not protect against UV-Induced skin cancer. Freckles may darken under prolonged exposure and so create greater than average contrast.

The Truth Which They Do Not Want You To Know: Gingers have no soul. Raw sunlight eats at the body of those with no soul. See also: Vampires.

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

You must not had seen the movie, it's worse (Elizabeth showed why she made the wig).  Has NOTHING to do with the color.

Edited by hamradio
5 hours ago, SansFin said:

....The Truth Which They Do Not Want You To Know: Gingers have no soul. Raw sunlight eats at the body of those with no soul. See also: Vampires.

Also...people who don't like movies have no soul.

(Of course this does not apply to anyone here.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/3/2019 at 9:00 AM, TikiSoo said:

I also think you are spot on describing Marshall as "pure charm and menace" which every vampire must possess to be believable. I never understood the attraction to a sickly sad vampire-you only should feel pity for them as a balance after fearing or hating them. Every well written vampire & wolf man story follows this basic arc.

Marshall in Blacula is great because he plays it straight, he brings all his training and professionalism to the part as if it were Othello. I found the film to be just a good vampire film, Thalmus Rasulala is good in the vampire hunter part. Gordon Pinsent (he would later appear as husband to Oscar nominated Julie Christie in Away From Her) is Rasulala's skeptical cop friend. There is some hilariously politically incorrect dialogue, which would give massive coronaries to the overly sensitive PC crowd of today.  

On 12/3/2019 at 12:18 PM, misswonderly3 said:

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY 

I love this one as well. Peckinpah is more restrained in his violence but still gets a few scenes that can shock. 

The villains are some of the nastiest and weirdest ever in a western. They are a group of brothers played by:

James Drury as the most presentable of the group, but just as dangerous.

John Anderson as the bearded head of the clan, he tries to keep the others in line but will kill to protect them.

L.Q. Jones as a shaggy haired creep.

John Davis Chandler as a baby faced psycho.

Warren Oates as an evil eyed maniac who may be the scariest of the lot.

• Thanks 2
On 12/3/2019 at 5:13 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Poor woman. She looks like the baby from Eraserhead.

dTmCZ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

author's note: I am not really a big fan of this time of year and- as such- I am prone to mood swings, odd tangents of violent emotion and may well be off my game in my forthcoming reviews. I apologize in advance and feel free to call any glaring errors to my attention....

63ee5b143ee3341b7c1707791d9db23e.jpg

When you get right down to it, the worst thing a movie can be is BORING, and MAN, did I EVER watch a NOT BORING movie on AMAZON PRIME the other day.

STAYING ALIVE from 1983. Sequel to SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, directed by- I KID YOU NOT- SYLVESTER STALLONE with LA TRAVOLTA, FRANK STALLONE AND HIS BAND, CYNTHIA RHODES and FINOLA HUGHES as VERUCA SALT as JOAN CRAWFORD in TORCH SONG.

it's on AMAZON PRIME. IT NEEDS TO BE ON CRITERION. 

It is the INCREDIBLY STUPID hybrid of ALL THAT JAZZ and THE RED SHOES that I COULD NOT TAKE MY EYES OFF OF FOR ONE SINGLE  MINUTE.

The 20 MINUTE DANCE FINALE from the BROADWAY MUSICAL (!!!!) SATAN'S ALLEY (!!!!!????!!!!!) is the highlight- I COULD SPEND AN HOUR DESCRIBING IT AND IT WOULD STILL FAIL to do justice to a SINGLE GLORIOUS SECOND OF IT.

THIS FILM IS A TRIUMPH- albeit of the LENI REIFENSTHAL variety.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Saw Chaplin's final film A Countess from Hong Kong on DVD. It really got attacked in 1967, but looking at it today, taking it away from when it was made makes it seem like an imperfect yet witty little film, sweetly old-fashioned. Sophia Loren was lovely as ever, and one scene close to the end was near vintage Chaplin levels. The rest was witty and elegant, and even if it wasn't a perfect swan song, it made for a better one than I expected going in.

• Thanks 1

63 Up Poster

63 Up -current release 9/10

A new addition to Michael Apted's "Up" series of documentaries, chronicling the lives of several British children from age 7 and every 7 years now up to age 63.

I was so glad I got to see this in NY's Film Forum. I look forward to these films like others  wait for the next Star Wars chapter.  This is was a great though sad entry since this one has a death among the cast. Plus another one is very ill. Still I was fascinated the whole way in seeing what these people are  experiencing now in their life.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

author's note: I am not really a big fan of this time of year and- as such- I am prone to mood swings, odd tangents of violent emotion and may well be off my game in my forthcoming reviews. I apologize in advance and feel free to call any glaring errors to my attention....

63ee5b143ee3341b7c1707791d9db23e.jpg

When you get right down to it, the worst thing a movie can be is BORING, and MAN, did I EVER watch a NOT BORING movie on AMAZON PRIME the other day.

STAYING ALIVE from 1983. Sequel to SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, directed by- I KID YOU NOT- SYLVESTER STALLONE with LA TRAVOLTA, FRANK STALLONE AND HIS BAND, CYNTHIA RHODES and FINOLA HUGHES as VERUCA SALT as JOAN CRAWFORD in TORCH SONG.

it's on AMAZON PRIME. IT NEEDS TO BE ON CRITERION. 

It is the INCREDIBLY STUPID hybrid of ALL THAT JAZZ and THE RED SHOES that I COULD NOT TAKE MY EYES OFF OF FOR ONE SINGLE  MINUTE.

The 20 MINUTE DANCE FINALE from the BROADWAY MUSICAL (!!!!) SATAN'S ALLEY (!!!!!????!!!!!) is the highlight- I COULD SPEND AN HOUR DESCRIBING IT AND IT WOULD STILL FAIL to do justice to a SINGLE GLORIOUS SECOND OF IT.

THIS FILM IS A TRIUMPH- albeit of the LENI REIFENSTHAL variety.

This was an amazing review.  It made me really want to see Staying Alive.  I like parts of Saturday Night Fever (e.g. the dancing), but so much of that movie is such a bummer.  

I do love me a 20-minute dance finale.  

I daresay that this sounds worth borrowing from the library.

21 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Poor woman. She looks like the baby from Eraserhead.

Thanks a lot for the spoiler. I've been trying to watch ERASERHEAD for years but can't get past the first 15 min. Every once in awhile I get in the mood & try again. Now I know ET has a small role in it.

13 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

63 Up -current release

Ah, thank you. I knew it was the 63rd year (hrumph) and had been waiting to see if it would continue. I hope 70 is the last year, it's getting too sad.

I have all the 7 UP episodes on DVD. It makes a great binge watch for anyone just discovering it. For those of similar age, it's very poignant and reflective, even if you're from a different culture. I wonder if it will have the same impact to younger generations who may not be able to relate. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

This was an amazing review.  It made me really want to see Staying Alive.  I like parts of Saturday Night Fever (e.g. the dancing), but so much of that movie is such a bummer.  

I do love me a 20-minute dance finale.  

I daresay that this sounds worth borrowing from the library.

Not meaning to shill [but shilling] you might look in to getting amazon prime if you got the spare income, i've been pretty pleased with some of the weirder titles they show, it's MUCH more interesting than NETFLIX.

As something of a BAD MOVIE COMPLETIST, I admit that sometimes JUST MAKING IT THROUGH AND BEING ABLE TO SAY I HAVE SEEN SOMETHING IN ITS ENTIRETY is more the goal than actually SITTING AND REALLY WATCHING THE FILM ITSELF (if that makes any sense) and there are some BAD MOVIES that feel like a 400 pound weight on your sternum- genuinely and truly, STAYING ALIVE was NOT one of those bad movies, it was in NO SENSE a chore to make it through, I was rapt by every wonderawful minute of it. i didn't check my phone or play sudoku or start sketching, I was EVERY BIT AS ENTHRALLED as I was by SEVEN SAMURAI- for completely different reasons, mind you.

It has a delightful, infectuous STUPIDITY- so real and unforced, so DETERMINED to proceed forward without QUESTIONING- this is HOLLYWOOD AVARICE at its COKE FUELED-FINEST- I am hard-pressed to think of a more DELIGHTFUL WATCHING EXPERIENCE in my recent memory.

EDIT- HERE'S THE TRAILER, REALLY BUT A SOUPCON OF WHAT THE MOVIE IS. ALSO, I WENT TO WIKIPEDIA and STAYING ALIVE grossed $126 million WORLDWIDE.

• Like 1

Lured (1947)

Period thriller about a London serial killer who finds his victims through women who answer his newspaper classifieds while also playing cat-and-mouse games with the police through cryptic poems he sends them. A dance hall hostess (Lucille Ball) finds that one of her friends has disappeared and agrees to go undercover for Scotland Yard in the hope of finding the murderer.

Douglas Sirk, before becoming identified with over produced women's dramas, directed this chiller with melodramatic style. Great shadowy buildings and music halls and cobblestone streets add to this atmospheric production which never seems to take itself quite seriously. There is an abundance of light humour mixed into the brew, with a noteworthy cast of red herring suspects. George Sanders is a suave playboy who takes an interest in Ball.

Other cast members include Charles Coburn as a Scotland Yard inspector, Boris Karloff as a wacko clothing designer, Cedric Hardwicke as Sanders' friend, Alan Mowbray, Joseph Calleia and George Zucco. Zucco is particularly fun to watch, cast against type as a Scotland Yard man working undercover to guard Ball. There is an unexpected amount of droll humour in many of the Zucco scenes.

The mystery killer is pretty transparently obvious well before the end and the film's climax a melodramatically corny one. But for many who like this kind of old fashioned thriller there's a comforting familiarity to the presentation. Lucy fans will probably enjoy watching their favourite redhead in one of her straight feature roles prior to television comedy immortality.

72a35a8144df79be8f1d41c5f1be54ccca6f038.

2.5 out of 4

• Like 4

I saw the 1976 version of king Kong from Amazon Prime. Yes, it is the most maligned of the three versions. Yes, the ape effects look a bit dated now. But yet, the story still casts its magic spell, aided by two wonderful leads in Jessica Lange and Jeff Bridges, and of course, the gorilla, who radiates more sympathy than horror than he did in 1933. John Barry supplies a marvellous score, and when the inevitable finale comes, I was sobbing profusely. I feel that is worth a reevaluation.

• Thanks 1

I, Tonya (2017) Neo Bio Noir On Skates.

91sdED38DpL._SY679_.jpg

"A White Trash Tragedy"

A Bio Noir that is a fantastically entertaining combo of ice-skating Noir Suspense (1946) (yes there was one), small time racketeering in The Setup (1949), the victim of circumstances of Detour (1945), the end of the professional road depicted in Requiem For A Heavyweight (1962), with the dimwit three stooges like shenanigans of the cheap crooks in Deadline At Dawn (1946), Manhandled (1949) Raising Arizona (1987), Wild At Heart (1990), Hit Me (1996), Fargo (1996), A Simple Plan (1998), The Big Lebowski (1998), and Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007).

One of the bennies of watching a lot of Film Noir is that you become very familiar with a large range of actors from the classical period Noirs through the transitional Noirs to our current era of  Neo Noir who seem made for certain parts and they easily slip into certain shady characters like one would slip into a comfortable pair of slippers.

When you think of low rent, cheap, sleazy, slimy, weaselly crooks you think of Classic Noir actors Zachary Scott or Dan Druyea. In this film Zachary would get the nod he looks like the real Jeff Gilhoolie. Dan Seymore or Victor Buono would have made a good Shaun, Doro Merande or Agnes Moorhead as Tonya's mother, Tonya would have probably been played by Belita (the star of our ice skating Noir Suspense) but, if they could skate, I could see Shelly Winters or Barbara Stanwyck, in it or Joan Crawford with blonde hair.

Anyway, projecting the past performers upon this film in no way diminishes it.

Directed competently and stylishly by Craig Gillespie. The film was written by Steven Rogers and based on the sometimes contradictory interviews with all the participants. I, Tonya sort of depicts a modern take on the type of small time racketeering that in Classic Hollywood would have focused on boxing or horse racing. That it is about the "seedy underworld" of ice skating (who would of thunk it) makes it all the more hilarious. Aftermath interviews are displayed in 4:3 ratio.

The incident all started when Tonya received a death threat at a competition. Gilhooly her bodyguard Shaun, and Tonya didn't take it seriously they just figured it was psychological warfare aimed at Tonya. Gilholly and Shaun cook up a scheme to send threatening letters to her arch rival skater Nancy Kerrigan. Tonya was in on the planning for that finding out where Nancy would be practicing for the address of where to send the letters.

Shaun the halfwit bodyguard points out that Gilhooly can't mail the letters from Portland since they would point back to them. Convincing Gilhooly that the best course would be to let Shaun send two of his "operatives" to the venue city to mail the letters there. It all goes Noirsville when Shaun changes the plan and has the operatives try and break Nancy's leg instead.

Starring Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding, Mckenna Grace as young Tonya Harding, Maizie Smith as Tonya Harding (age 4), Sebastian Stan as Jeff Gillooly, Harding's lover and friend, later husband,  Allison Janney as LaVona Golden, Harding's abusive mother, Julianne Nicholson as Diane Rawlinson, Harding's skating coach. Caitlin Carver as Nancy Kerrigan, Paul Walter Hauser as Shawn Eckardt, a bodyguard and friend of Gillooly, and Bobby Cannavale as Martin Maddox, a former Hard Copy reporter. Full review with more screencaps at Noirsville.

It's a lot of fun to watch 9/10.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Not meaning to shill [but shilling] you might look in to getting amazon prime if you got the spare income, i've been pretty pleased with some of the weirder titles they show, it's MUCH more interesting than NETFLIX.

As something of a BAD MOVIE COMPLETIST, I admit that sometimes JUST MAKING IT THROUGH AND BEING ABLE TO SAY I HAVE SEEN SOMETHING IN ITS ENTIRETY is more the goal than actually SITTING AND REALLY WATCHING THE FILM ITSELF (if that makes any sense) and there are some BAD MOVIES that feel like a 400 pound weight on your sternum- genuinely and truly, STAYING ALIVE was NOT one of those bad movies, it was in NO SENSE a chore to make it through, I was rapt by every wonderawful minute of it. i didn't check my phone or play sudoku or start sketching, I was EVERY BIT AS ENTHRALLED as I was by SEVEN SAMURAI- for completely different reasons, mind you.

It has a delightful, infectuous STUPIDITY- so real and unforced, so DETERMINED to proceed forward without QUESTIONING- this is HOLLYWOOD AVARICE at its COKE FUELED-FINEST- I am hard-pressed to think of a more DELIGHTFUL WATCHING EXPERIENCE in my recent memory.

EDIT- HERE'S THE TRAILER, REALLY BUT A SOUPCON OF WHAT THE MOVIE IS. ALSO, I WENT TO WIKIPEDIA and STAYING ALIVE grossed $126 million WORLDWIDE.

Lorna, many thanks for posting this trailer. It has made my day. I didn't know Travolta could look this sexy, not to mention appealing to a certain demographic. And Finola Hughes, such a good actress on General Hospital, looks like she can't act her way out of a paper bag.