Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought the Hobbit movies were far inferior.

Agree and they had too much ridiculous padding to stretch what should have been a two hour film into three films.

Saw three films today. One glorious silent classic, Orphans of the Storm, one cozy version of a Christmas Carol (1938), told at a nice, fast clip with very little excess fat on it, and one modern film for the oddity pile, Across the Universe, a flamboyant Beatles homage which has its moments, and then some really weird ones too.

39 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Saw three films today. One glorious silent classic, Orphans of the Storm, one cozy version of a Christmas Carol (1938), told at a nice, fast clip with very little excess fat on it, and one modern film for the oddity pile, Across the Universe, a flamboyant Beatles homage which has its moments, and then some really weird ones too.

I love Across the Universe. Very underrated film.

18 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Agree and they had too much ridiculous padding to stretch what should have been a two hour film into three films.

The way I described them at the time was, the old Cecil B. DeMille quote of "Gimme two pages of the Bible, and I'll give you a picture!"  Or, in Peter Jackson's case, "Gimme two pages of The Hobbit, and I'll give you a trilogy subplot, a supporting character, and a videogame-friendly action sequence!"...And he went through EVERY pair of pages in the very short book.

In "Desolation of Smaug", I knew the book enough to see an entire half hour of off-topic Jackson artificial subplot newly jammed in between two of Smaug's lines from the original book.  Half hour.  TWO  LINES.

Dakota Lil (1950)

Dakota Lil Poster

I'm gonna admit straight off the top that I like Marie Windsor. So basically when I saw this available to stream I gave t a whirl. 

Wow. Not expecting much I was impressed.

Forget George Montgomery, Rod Cameron, John Emery, and Wallace Ford, this is not so much a Western as a showcase vehicle for Marie Windsor.  (forget how that poster looks)

Windsor plays title character Dakota Lil, a chanteuse saloon singer, con woman, forger, who sells her "services" circa 1897 to various underworld organizations including The Wild Bunch. The bunch led by Harvey Logan aka Kid Curry (Cameron), want her to forge a signature on unsigned treasury bank notes. They are worthless without it. She's not only a forger but also an engraver, taught by her father who was an employee of the US government printing office. She runs around with her talented piano player Vincent (Emery). Vincent is devoted to her like a puppy dog, and she strings him along  
in a sexually benign, depreciating, and teasing manner, but she needs him because he's also the expert printer of her forged engravings.

Into the picture comes Tom Horn (George Montgomery), (fresh off Geronimo's surrender) who's noted for "always finishing the job" (possible quote used in GBU) is pressed into service as an undercover US government agent to try and recover the lost treasury bills. 

All the above is secondary to Windsor, who is fantastic in all her saloon entertainer sequences. She's actually more alluring in similar turns than say Marilyn Monroe in both The River of No Return and Bus Stop and it sounds as if Windsor really doing the singing. Her signature song is a very catchy piece, that is sung twice. Windsor is gorgeous in this. It's got to be her apex film. 

Another plus (to me) is that the film belongs to the Noir Western sub genre and fits in with Pursued, Blood on the Moon, and Track of the Cat visually.

I saw the Cinecolor version. 7/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Dakota Lil (1950)

Dakota Lil Poster

I copied Dakota Lil off the internet but have yet to view it. Only reason I got it: sexy Marie Windsor.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:06 AM, cigarjoe said:

most don't care for those as well

Finally just got to view SINATRA'S rarely known 1956 Western Johnny Concho (barely ***) it's among only a handful of THE CHAIRMAN'S 58 flix I had yet to see & TCM rarely if ever airs it?

This time of all people he played a coward of sorts vs William Conrad the MVP of the picture

FRANK made 4 Westerns, can you guess them?

12 hours ago, TomJH said:

I copied Dakota Lil off the internet but have yet to view it. Only reason I got it: sexy Marie Windsor.

Check Marie Windsor as a saloon chanteuse jump to the 1;22 mark.

Gotta say here CJ, I really don't think that that's Marie's voice you hear singing there. It sounds to me like her voice was dubbed by a singer with a higher register than Marie's usual somewhat smoky talking voice.

(...and besides, if Marie COULD sing as well as that, I'd think she would've been cast in a few musicals during her career)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

Gotta say here CJ, I really don't think that that's Marie's voice you hear singing there. It sounds to me like her voice was dubbed by a singer with a higher register than Marie's usual somewhat smoky talking voice.

(...and besides, if Marie COULD sing as well as that, I'd think she would've been cast in a few musicals during her career)

You could be right,  there is nobody credited as the singer on IMDb page for the film. but Marie then does do a convincing  lip-synching job .  😎

Last night I watched CROSSING DELANCEY '88 for the first time. I remember when it came out, it was popular, but I just never saw it.  

This movie stars Amy Irving whom I had only known as a teen actress in after school specials and has an eye roll worthy plot: 33 y/o unmarried Jewish girl (Izzy) set up to meet nice Jewish boys via a Matchmaker. This romantic comedy agrees that is a horrible plot for the almost 1990's, so colors the story with ethnic jokes/setting much in the same loving way MOONSTRUCK does for Italian ethnicity. (My Big Fat Greek Wedding failed at this, imho)

I just loved this story, no matter how predictable or cliché. The performances were stellar, especially the flamboyant Matchmaker and Izzy's grandmother played perfectly by Reizl Bozyk, shown here. 

crossing+delancey+sylvia+miles.jpg.jpg

Bubbie's (grandma) comments were a riot reminding me so much of my own Mom/Grandma: a package arrives and Izzy cuts the string, Bubbie rushes over, "You don't even know how to open a package right!" (oy) She often tells of her own romantic suitors and reiterates the importance of "not being alone" while granddaughter Izzy resists that antiquated mindset.

There's a few scenes of Izzy and her girlfriends complaining about available men/marriage that remind me of scenes in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, except this movie has the discussion during a bris!  Of course, Izzy's main protagonists are the "nice" boy the Matchmaker brings over and the "exciting bad boy" Izzy is attracted to.

NYC of the late 80's is also a character and the flavor, feel & look of the City makes a great background for the story. Great old business storefronts, crowded night spots, street vendors & vibrant neighborhoods all flavor the story - I most love Bubbie's view of the bridge outside her apartment window. A startling scene takes place in a hot dog grill where an older woman (Paula Laurence) in full stage make up & gown walks in and breaks out singing "Some Enchanted Evening". Of course this is included for the lyrics, but crazy things like that HAPPEN in NYC, it's full of performers who don't get to perform any more, their "fruitful" years passed.

maxresdefault.jpg

crossingdelancey24.jpg

OK, so the movie hits you over the head with clichés, it's still cute & funny and I loved it.

• Like 3

I loved this movie and additionally, thought the music was great.    The Roches. .... Come Softly to Me and Pounding were so effective.

And Suzy Roche played one of Izzy's friends.

And yes, that was NYC back then.  I particular like the brief scene with the single women getting their dinner alone at one of the ubiquitous salad bars every Korean fresh grocer had.

• Like 1

You know, on second thought, CROSSING DELANCEY isn't cliché- it's a world that is gone now in this new century turn.

Wonder what this most recent wave of immigrants (mostly African & Middle Eastern in my area) ethnicity will make "cliché" in the future?

55 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Last night I watched CROSSING DELANCEY '88 for the first time. I remember when it came out, it was popular, but I just never saw it.  

This movie stars Amy Irving whom I had only known as a teen actress in after school specials and has an eye roll worthy plot: 33 y/o unmarried Jewish girl (Izzy) set up to meet nice Jewish boys via a Matchmaker. This romantic comedy agrees that is a horrible plot for the almost 1990's, so colors the story with ethnic jokes/setting much in the same loving way MOONSTRUCK does for Italian ethnicity. (My Big Fat Greek Wedding failed at this, imho)

I just loved this story, no matter how predictable or cliché. The performances were stellar, especially the flamboyant Matchmaker and Izzy's grandmother played perfectly by Reizl Bozyk, shown here. 

crossing+delancey+sylvia+miles.jpg.jpg

Bubbie's (grandma) comments were a riot reminding me so much of my own Mom/Grandma: a package arrives and Izzy cuts the string, Bubbie rushes over, "You don't even know how to open a package right!" (oy) She often tells of her own romantic suitors and reiterates the importance of "not being alone" while granddaughter Izzy resists that antiquated mindset.

There's a few scenes of Izzy and her girlfriends complaining about available men/marriage that remind me of scenes in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, except this movie has the discussion during a bris!  Of course, Izzy's main protagonists are the "nice" boy the Matchmaker brings over and the "exciting bad boy" Izzy is attracted to.

NYC of the late 80's is also a character and the flavor, feel & look of the City makes a great background for the story. Great old business storefronts, crowded night spots, street vendors & vibrant neighborhoods all flavor the story - I most love Bubbie's view of the bridge outside her apartment window. A startling scene takes place in a hot dog grill where an older woman (Paula Laurence) in full stage make up & gown walks in and breaks out singing "Some Enchanted Evening". Of course this is included for the lyrics, but crazy things like that HAPPEN in NYC, it's full of performers who don't get to perform any more, their "fruitful" years passed.

maxresdefault.jpg

crossingdelancey24.jpg

OK, so the movie hits you over the head with clichés, it's still cute & funny and I loved it.

Very nice review. I as well love this movie.  New York City, as you mention, looks very inviting.  This was when everyone wanted to work on Wall Street.  Crossing Delancey holds up remarkably well, even in this day of online dating. And the ending was just about perfect.

• Like 1

crossingdelancey24.jpg&key=59398b3933ba0

"WINE YOU CAN ALMOST CUT WITH A KNIFE" ???!!!

I'm thinking alcoholic cranberry sauce, and I have to admit- as someone who doesn't even drink- I am INTRIGUED.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:53 PM, Gershwin fan said:

I love Across the Universe. Very underrated film.

INTERESTING CLIP!

It seems to me like a musical version on GREGORY'S GIRL (1980?)

So, this doesn't really have anything necessarily to do with this thread, but I feel the need to share just because.

I went to CARRABA'S last night for my office Christmas party and I was telling my coworker to watch out for the Pesto because IT CAN GIVE YOU WEIRD DREAMS,  meanwhile I ate about two and a half ounces of it.

And then went home and went to bed and had a dream THAT FAYE DUNAWAY AND I DECIDED TO MOVE IN TOGETHER AND BECOME PLATONIC ROOMMATES in NEW YORK CITY. And she was dressed like her character at the end of SUPERGIRL and also SO NICE! I kept going around to everyone and trying to explain how she was in reality quite pleasant and frankly misunderstood and no one believed me.

67181256_123950268888228_610223451309135

Bottom line- watch out for the PESTO at Carabbas, or anywhere really.

• Haha 4

I watched "Transsiberian".  This 2008 thriller had Woody Harrelson, Emily Mortimer, Ben Kingsley, Eduardo Noriega, and Kate Mara as the principle players.  It takes place mostly on a train on the Trans-Siberian railway.  Harrelson and Mortimer are a couple from Iowa who have gone to China with a church group to do some missionary work.  Harrelson is a hardware store owner who's into trains and convinces his wife they should take the train from Beijing to Moscow before flying home.  Early in the trip, Harrelson and Mortimer befriend another young couple, played by Noriega and Mara, a couple of adventurers who are coming off a stint as English teachers in Japan.

Things start out pleasantly enough, despite problems with language translation, backed up toilets, and cramped sleeping quarters that try to accommodate 4 adults.  Things start to go downhill when Harrelson gets left behind in one of the towns where the train has stopped to unload and take on supplies and passengers.  Mortimer nervously awaits word from her husband as she and the other couple didn't miss the train when it resumed its journey west.  Knowing that she's into photography, Noriega convinces Mortimer to take a bus trip to the countryside near the town where they're staying, so he can show her something she might like to shoot.  He takes her to a decrepit Orthodox Church by the woods, and she marvels at the icons painted on what's left of the walls of the structure.  She thanks him for showing her the place, and in a moment of unbridled passion, they kiss each other and start to undress each other.  Coming back to her senses, she pulls away from him saying it's not right to carry on with the extra-curriculars.  She walks away from Noriega, but as often happens to testosterone-infused men, he kept thinking with his crotch and not his brain.  He goes after her, but she kills him with well-placed shots to his body and head with a wooden plank from the broken down church.

Mortimer then becomes a basket case for the rest of the movie.  While her reunification with her husband brings her comfort and relief, those feelings are short-lived when Harrelson introduces her to their new bunkmate, Kingsley, who just happens to be a police detective from Vladivostok who's heading to Moscow for a national police conference.   Meanwhile, Mara gets left behind as the train pulls out of town to continue on toward Moscow, and she's frantically trying to find out what happened to Noriega, her boyfriend.

I'm going to stop with the description of the rest of the movie for the benefit of those who haven't seen it.  I will say this though.  The first 75% of this movie is very good and gripping.  It pulled me in, and I was really interested.  Then, the last 15-20 minutes fell a bit flat, which is when all the climactic parts took place.  It was one of those rare times I wished the 'Hayes Office' were still around!  There was too much bad stuff going on involving the characters, whether it was intentional or accidental, and in the end, no one got caught.  No one was made to pay for their crimes.  If one of the underlying themes of "Transsiberian" was to point out the shortcomings of the criminal justice system and procedures in post-Soviet Russia, well, the creators succeeded on that count.  I'd give this film about a 6 out of 10 rating.

As an aside, I recently came into a Roku that a friend of mine had bought, but wasn't using.  I hooked it up a couple of days ago, and I was able to watch television for the first time in 2 months after I cut the cord on my cable company in October.  I like the system and the movies and television shows offered on the various channels, but on some movies, the system is screwy and unreliable.  I started watching a movie at 6:30 last night.  By 7:00 it stopped working during one of the commercial breaks, and switched over automatically to the next movie in the queue of the station I was on.  Just when I was getting into that movie, the same thing happened by 8:00!  Then it switched over to a British film from the 1950's that I stuck with for about 45 minutes before giving up since I couldn't get into it.  I turned off the whole system, then went to YouTube, where I was able to watch "Transsibberian".  I had tried to watch this movie on 3 different occasions over 2 days on the Roku, and it died on me each and every time.  Needless to say, it was frustrating.  So, I was thinking about giving the system back to my friend and just doing without.  I had gotten used to not watching television, and I think I could manage (at least, my bank account would thank me!).   Some stations on Roku are very good, and I don't have problems with stoppages.  It just seems to happen on certain movies and/or stations, and it's been usually at night more so than the daytime hours.

3 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Very nice review. I as well love this movie.  New York City, as you mention, looks very inviting.  This was when everyone wanted to work on Wall Street.  Crossing Delancey holds up remarkably well, even in this day of online dating. And the ending was just about perfect.

A note about Paula Laurence: she played a psychic, Janet Findley, for a few days on Dark Shadows. I was hoping they would bring her back in other roles because she was so good. She got a great review from the critic Eric Bentley for playing Virgilia in Shakespeare's Coriolanus, a friend of Coriolanus' formidable mother. Did any of our other NY-based posters ever see her on stage?

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

So, this doesn't really have anything necessarily to do with this thread, but I feel the need to share just because.

I went to CARRABA'S last night for my office Christmas party and I was telling my coworker to watch out for the Pesto because IT CAN GIVE YOU WEIRD DREAMS,  meanwhile I ate about two and a half ounces of it.

And then went home and went to bed and had a dream THAT FAYE DUNAWAY AND I DECIDED TO MOVE IN TOGETHER AND BECOME PLATONIC ROOMMATES in NEW YORK CITY. And she was dressed like her character at the end of SUPERGIRL and also SO NICE! I kept going around to everyone and trying to explain how she was in reality quite pleasant and frankly misunderstood and no one believed me.

67181256_123950268888228_610223451309135

Bottom line- watch out for the PESTO at Carabbas, or anywhere really.

ROFL! Definitely a dream. She recently bombed in Boston with a one woman play and her diva behavior remains in full force.........

2 hours ago, kingrat said:

A note about Paula Laurence: she played a psychic, Janet Findley, for a few days on Dark Shadows. I was hoping they would bring her back in other roles because she was so good. She got a great review from the critic Eric Bentley for playing Virgilia in Shakespeare's Coriolanus, a friend of Coriolanus' formidable mother. Did any of our other NY-based posters ever see her on stage?

Was she that old woman who appeared in the Barnabas 1700's story? If so she really WAS good! I didnt remember her from when I first watched it, but I was impressed this go-round (on Decades).

9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

ROFL! Definitely a dream. She recently bombed in Boston with a one woman play and her diva behavior remains in full force.........

I READ!

Apparently she had an earpiece and would STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PERFORMANCE TO ASK "LINE?"

I almost started a thread about it, but I figured we beat up a little on HER ROYAL FAYENESS sometimes.

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I READ!

Apparently she had an earpiece and would STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PERFORMANCE TO ASK "LINE?"

I almost started a thread about it, but I figured we beat up a little on HER ROYAL FAYENESS sometimes.

LOL! She terrorized the whole crew!

• Like 1