Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that you have to have it made custom.

https://www.wrapsy.com/products/your-face-gift-wrap  or https://www.prezzybox.com/personalised-face-wrapping-paper.aspx

You upload a picture and they print it on the background colour of your choice. It is approx. $27 per six foot roll.

VG6tv5d.jpg

I would definitely reuse it at that price!

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SAME WITH THE ONE WHERE I LIVE TOO (WILMINGTON, NC)!!!!! it was always SLAMMIN BUSY and very popular, and yet they closed ALL OF A SUDDEN and with NO NOTICE AT ALL, just a "PEACE OUT, WE GONE" ad in the local paper.

MACARONI GRILLS are delicious, but apparently very poorly managed.

That’s exactly what happened with all the Macaroni Grills in the Portland area! 

I loved doing the make your own pasta bowl. I will still do the olive oil, balsamic, cracked pepper plate to dip my bread in. 

I also really enjoyed drawing on the table. Lol. 

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOVE guacamole,  but not that into pesto. (I'll eat it if offered).

I like super chunky guacamole that’s a bit on the citrusy side. I do not like the highly puréed guacamole. It takes on a different taste and reminds me of baby food. 

• Haha 1

The Third Key (1956) a noir-ish police procedural involving a series of burglaries of office safes.  Jack Hawkins, John Stratton, and Dorothy Alison  star. Plods along to its conclusion with the police picking up various clues and piecing things together. 6/10

The Third Key Poster

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I like super chunky guacamole that’s a bit on the citrusy side. I do not like the highly puréed guacamole. It takes on a different taste and reminds me of baby food. 

I'll eat  any kind!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I say it STILL reminds me of what my dogs used to leave on the floor after eating too much GRASS!  :huh:

Sepiatone

On 12/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

If I could give ten million likes to this post, I would!!!  

That's just a wee bit bizarro. OK. It's a lot bizarro. I don't know that I would open a present that was wrapped in this paper. 

On 12/12/2019 at 7:53 AM, TikiSoo said:

OK, I tried to find this online:

79473393_208634510146335_699278126559841

I found THIS hilarity on ZAZZLE: view?realview=113044122941080185&design=

https://www.zazzle.com/what_would_joan_do_button-145258183052706767

and this on Amazon:

81GmqO3Ac2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(I use real film as ribbon -from discarded modern trailers)

Even Accoutrements, the company that makes pop culture stuff for Archie McFee only has "meat" wrapping paper.

But this site has a pretty good "Joan Boutique"

http://joancrawfordma.tripod.com/boutique.html

including t-shirts asking "What Would Joan Do?" tote bags, mosaics, prints & cute playing cards both of these capturing the essence of Joan:

cards3.jpgcards2.jpg

But no wrapping paper. I think that's an old Archie McFee product.

If you use real film for ribbon, how in the world do you make a bow?

On 12/11/2019 at 1:20 PM, CinemaInternational said:

On a tangent note, I just saw this on Facebook and had to share: Joan Crawford head Christmas wrap.....

79473393_208634510146335_699278126559841

Now I want to wrap my husband's Christmas gift in paper with our bird's face on it.

• Haha 1

The House Without a Christmas Tree Poster

The House Without A Christmas Tree (1972) VHS tape

This is a TV movie about a precocious 10 year old girl Addie (Lisa Lucas) in 1946 Nebraska who lives with her embittered widower father (Jason Robards) and her understanding grandmother (Mildred Natwick). Her father refuses to have a Christmas tree in the house but this year Addie desperately wants one.

I just rewatched this for the upteenth time, one of my favorite Christmas movies. I had also seen it when first broadcast in 1972 and have loved it ever since. It was directed by Paul Bogart who directed sitcoms like All In The Family. This  was shot on videotape so it gives it an intimate feel, more like a play than a movie. The acting is superb, Robards gives one of his best performances as the father, he is stern and stoic but you can still feel he is also hurting inside. Natwick is subtle and touching as the grandma. The real find is Lucas who very funny and spunky as Addie. She did some more acting but did not have a long career, she retired from acting and I read did other jobs such as a chef and news reporter. There were a few more TV movies with these characters which were pretty good too but did not have same impact as this Christmas one. 

I hope others love this too. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The House Without a Christmas Tree Poster

The House Without A Christmas Tree (1972) VHS tape

This is a TV movie about a precocious 10 year old girl Addie (Lisa Lucas) in 1946 Nebraska who lives with her embittered widower father (Jason Robards) and her understanding grandmother (Mildred Natwick). Her father refuses to have a Christmas tree in the house but this year Addie desperately wants one.

I just rewatched this for the upteenth time, one of my favorite Christmas movies. I had also seen it when first broadcast in 1972 and have loved it ever since. It was directed by Paul Bogart who directed sitcoms like All In The Family. This  was shot on videotape so it gives it an intimate feel, more like a play than a movie. The acting is superb, Robards gives one of his best performances as the father, he is stern and stoic but you can still feel he is also hurting inside. Natwick is subtle and touching as the grandma. The real find is Lucas who very funny and spunky as Addie. She did some more acting but did not have a long career, she retired from acting and I read did other jobs such as a chef and news reporter. There were a few more TV movies with these characters which were pretty good too but did not have same impact as this Christmas one. 

I hope others love this too. 

Jason Robards is one of the finest American actors in my book.  He always seemed to 'bring it' when he was on set, which really surprised me when I learned that he was an alcoholic.

3 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Jason Robards is one of the finest American actors in my book.  He always seemed to 'bring it' when he was on set, which really surprised me when I learned that he was an alcoholic.

Yes, he is always great. Did you ever see The House Without A Christmas Tree? I think it's on Youtube

5 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yes, he is always great. Did you ever see The House Without A Christmas Tree? I think it's on Youtube

I have not seen it.  At least, I don't think I've seen it.  Thanks for the heads-up though!  Also from 1972 is "Home For The Holidays".  This is a TV movie that has a recognizable cast for TCM fans, and it's a Christmas thriller (also on YouTube).

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, midwestan said:

REALLY?

I'm more surprised when I find out about gifted performers who DIDN'T have substance abuse issues. I say this half in jest, half in DEAD SERIOUSNESS and all in love though.

The concept of the HIGH FUNCTIONING ALCOHOLIC is 100% based in fact.

ps- we're on the same page w/ MR. ROBARDS tho. even though he more often than i would have liked played humorless SOBS, he also is INCREDIBLE in THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE and LONG DAYS JOURNEY INTO NIGHT.

• Like 2
On 12/13/2019 at 7:13 AM, cigarjoe said:

The Third Key (1956) a noir-ish police procedural involving a series of burglaries of office safes.  Jack Hawkins, John Stratton, and Dorothy Alison  star. Plods along to its conclusion with the police picking up various clues and piecing things together. 6/10

The Third Key Poster

I really liked this one, but then I like Hawkins in pretty much anything I've seen him in.

• Thanks 1

This past week I settled in to see TCM recorded DRUMS ACROSS THE MOHAWK 1939. This famous story takes place in my area and I was looking forward to seeing it. A big groan seeing John Ford directed this, I'm not a Ford fan. This movie was no exception, as his heavy handedness was all over the place. I see Ford as the mean counterpart of goofy Frank Capra-both heavy handed directors but Capra movies look better visually (Lubitsch lite) and while both are eye rolling corny, I think Capra coaxes more relaxed performances while Ford's actors always seem ill at ease. 

Anyway, funny to see pampered Claudette Colbert playing a "pioneer" woman and super handsome tall Henry Fonda as her husband, but the clothing helped create the illusion. The story starts out optimistic with the couple traveling west to settle a new farmstead. But soon Indians raid their farm, burning everything in sight. The couple gather with other settlers in the centrally located Fort, the "town" in essence. They go home with a rich widow farm owner wonderfully played by Edna Mae Oliver. They live peacefully after awhile and then- another wipe-out attack. Everyone gathers at the Fort again. The menfolk go out to raid the Indians, come back bloodied, dying.  Back to the Fort for an excruciatingly violent awful scene. Oliver's character dies.

With only 20 minutes to go, I stopped the recording. I was too depressed to watch any more. It was just relentless, with no relief. Oh I forgot, the great Ward Bond played a big bachelor who flirted with the widow, drank a lot & played cards. (big stretch) His scenes were supposed to be the comic relief. Bond played it very broadly, way too strong and it came across as silly & forced, I know Bond could do so much better, subtler.

I'm glad I watched some of it, I did learn who the City of Herkimer was named for (and a message board member's cat) and I learned the function of our upstate NY forts- and can easily name 4-5 nearby  Fort Museums in this region. Maybe I'd enjoy reading the book. 

Drumsalongthemohawk.jpg

• Like 1

I recently watched DARK CORNER with Lucille Ball on the MOVIES network. It was very entertaining. I'd never seen Mark Stevens before in a film. Clifton Webb was great. He always excelled when playing smarmy, but meticulous characters. MOVIES has some really good noirs. However, I recommend recording them as they have commercials.