Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm glad I watched some of it, I did learn who the City of Herkimer was named for (and a message board member's cat) and I learned the function of our upstate NY forts- and can easily name 4-5 nearby  Fort Museums in this region. Maybe I'd enjoy reading the book. 

As a kid, I remember reading an account of the Battle of Oriskany.  It was pretty graphic and gruesome.  I later came to learn that such stories could not be substantiated and were thought to be embellishments, and thus, untrue; especially the part where the British and their Iroquois allies would cruelly amputate injured Colonial fighters' legs at the knees and make their hapless captives walk around on the stumps.  I guess stories of that nature might get a kid interested in learning about history, or it could have totally grossed them out about the subject!  That scenic section of the New York State Thruway around Herkimer and Mohawk is absolutely breathtaking.

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

This past week I settled in to see TCM recorded DRUMS ACROSS THE MOHAWK 1939. This famous story takes place in my area and I was looking forward to seeing it. A big groan seeing John Ford directed this, I'm not a Ford fan. This movie was no exception, as his heavy handedness was all over the place. I see Ford as the mean counterpart of goofy Frank Capra-both heavy handed directors but Capra movies look better visually (Lubitsch lite) and while both are eye rolling corny, I think Capra coaxes more relaxed performances while Ford's actors always seem ill at ease. 

Anyway, funny to see pampered Claudette Colbert playing a "pioneer" woman and super handsome tall Henry Fonda as her husband, but the clothing helped create the illusion. The story starts out optimistic with the couple traveling west to settle a new farmstead. But soon Indians raid their farm, burning everything in sight. The couple gather with other settlers in the centrally located Fort, the "town" in essence. They go home with a rich widow farm owner wonderfully played by Edna Mae Oliver. They live peacefully after awhile and then- another wipe-out attack. Everyone gathers at the Fort again. The menfolk go out to raid the Indians, come back bloodied, dying.  Back to the Fort for an excruciatingly violent awful scene. Oliver's character dies.

With only 20 minutes to go, I stopped the recording. I was too depressed to watch any more. It was just relentless, with no relief. Oh I forgot, the great Ward Bond played a big bachelor who flirted with the widow, drank a lot & played cards. (big stretch) His scenes were supposed to be the comic relief. Bond played it very broadly, way too strong and it came across as silly & forced, I know Bond could do so much better, subtler.

I'm glad I watched some of it, I did learn who the City of Herkimer was named for (and a message board member's cat) and I learned the function of our upstate NY forts- and can easily name 4-5 nearby  Fort Museums in this region. Maybe I'd enjoy reading the book. 

Drumsalongthemohawk.jpg

people always link Ford with Westerns but he did many non western pictures  Would call Drums... a Western?

Plus all of his record Academy Awards were for non westerns

The Raven (1935)

Grand Guignol horror chiller from Universal featuring the studio's two big horror stars, both billed under the opening titles by their last names only, Karloff and Lugosi.

Actually, it's Bela Lugosi who enjoys the lion's share of scenes in this film and is the story's primary focus as a Poe spouting (and obsessed) surgeon who becomes equally obsessed with a pretty patient he saves in an operation (Irene Ware) but becomes annoyed when it becomes apparent that her father (Samuel S. Hinds) disapproves (rather understandably so) of any potential relationship between the two. Lugosi invites the girl and father, along with her boyfriend and a few others to his house, his main intention to enjoy revenge and a demented pleasure from torturing them with Poe inspired devices.

Also mixing into the proceedings is Boris Karloff as a convict on the run from the law who wants Lugosi to alter his face (even though Bela isn't a plastic surgeon, well, never mind that). Lugosi gets an evil glint in his eye after Karloff tells him that all his life he has been ugly. He then adds, profoundly, "Maybe if a man looks ugly he does ugly things." This gives Lugosi the idea of performing an operation upon Karloff's face that will make him so repugnant that he can blackmail him into performing tortures upon his house guests with the promise of performing further surgery afterward to make him appear more normal. Personally, I wouldn't really trust a surgeon like this.

Anyway, all of this sets us up for the torture scenes, in particular, Hinds strapped down to a table with a swinging pendulum right out of Poe's Pit and the Pendulum slowly descending with its razor sharp blade towards him (Karloff's good eye rolls back and forth with the pendulum), while the lovers (Ware and boyfriend Lester Matthews) are stuck in a room with walls crushing in upon them.

6035d213f22f16e337e0ead590a08f66289bb9b0

Lurid and completely over-the-top, this melodrama works as a chiller, as well as for the performances of its two lead stars. Karloff is sympathetic as the uglified assistant (Irene Ware, upon first sighting him, runs away after first letting out a series of screams). And an increasingly unhinged Lugosi, as the mad surgeon, has one of the highlight roles of his career, no matter the lack of subtlety in his performance as the film progresses. "What torture!" Lugosi beams at the thought of what he is about to do to a couple of his guests, "What delicious torture!"  There will also be the occasional outburst of maniacal "Let-there-be-no-doubt-I-am-a-Looney-Tune" laughter accompanying his dialogue.

The Raven, which runs a fast moving 61 minutes, would, in fact, be the last of the Karloff-Lugosi co-starring features in which Bela had such a sizable role. Their future films together would largely see Karloff as the star, with Bela in support. The one exception to that would be Son of Frankenstein, more of an ensemble piece, in which Lugosi had the opportunity to shine as hunchbacked Igor.

maxresdefault.jpg

3 out of 4

• Like 2

Just watched Alfred Hitchcock’s Suspicion(1941). I liked it. Joan Fontaine and Cary Grant are great and there’s some nice cinematography and gets pretty tense by the end. However, the endings a little lame. After watching a documentary on it I wish it had kept Hitchcock’s original ending. But it was still good nonetheless.

Then I saw Jean-Luc Goddard’s Alphaville(1965). This is one of the most fascinating and weirdest movies I’ve ever seen. Not that I didn’t like it. It has a great premise(sci-fi noir) and the camera work is great. It’s just so darn weird and I can’t quite figure out how I feel about it. I recommend it if for anything because it has a particularly unique and cool premise.

And now for something completely different, Star Wars The Last Jedi(2017). Been watching the Star Wars films before the final film releases next week. Personally, I love it. It’s not perfect, but it’s unique and tries something different, and I really appreciate that. Can’t wait for the finale!

Last night I watched Larceny, Inc. (1942) with Edward G. Robinson. Does anyone else know this gem of a movie? I laughed by butt off all the way through. It also stars Jane Wyman, Broderick Crawford, Jack Carson, Anthony Quinn, and Edward Brophy.

edward-brophy-04.jpg

Plot: 

Suave convict J. Chalmers "Pressure" Maxwell (Edward G. Robinson) decides to go straight. Just before he is released from prison along with his accomplice Jug (Broderick Crawford), he rejects a proposal by fellow inmate Leo Dexter (Anthony Quinn) to rob a bank. Pressure hopes to purchase a dog racing track in Florida and become a legitimate businessman. However, he lacks the funds necessary. Noticing a luggage shop next door to said bank, he buys the store and has Jug and their friend Weepy (Edward Brophy) start digging a tunnel in the basement.

Broderick Crawford steals the show for me. He and Robinson have a great chemistry that reminds me of Rocky and Mugsy from Looney Tunes. Edward Brophy always plays a comical discount "Rico Bandello" and does a good job at it. Jack Carson is also a delight as a slick luggage salesman that won't take no for an answer. This movie is lots of fun, and sort of a Christmas movie, too.

My favorite line in the film...

Woman who owns lingerie shop next door:  "I wish you would drop in and look over my lingerie sometime."

Pressure: "Well, you drop in sometime and look over my trunks."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Last night I watched Larceny, Inc. (1942) with Edward G. Robinson. Does anyone else know this gem of a movie? I laughed by butt off all the way through. It also stars Jane Wyman, Broderick Crawford, Jack Carson, Anthony Quinn, and Edward Brophy.

edward-brophy-04.jpg

Plot: 

Suave convict J. Chalmers "Pressure" Maxwell (Edward G. Robinson) decides to go straight. Just before he is released from prison along with his accomplice Jug (Broderick Crawford), he rejects a proposal by fellow inmate Leo Dexter (Anthony Quinn) to rob a bank. Pressure hopes to purchase a dog racing track in Florida and become a legitimate businessman. However, he lacks the funds necessary. Noticing a luggage shop next door to said bank, he buys the store and has Jug and their friend Weepy (Edward Brophy) start digging a tunnel in the basement.

Broderick Crawford steals the show for me. He and Robinson have a great chemistry that reminds me of Rocky and Mugsy from Looney Tunes. Edward Brophy always plays a comical discount "Rico Bandello" and does a good job at it. Jack Carson is also a delight as a slick luggage salesman that won't take no for an answer. This movie is lots of fun, and sort of a Christmas movie, too.

My favorite line in the film...

Woman who owns lingerie shop next door:  "I wish you would drop in and look over my lingerie sometime."

Pressure: "Well, you drop in sometime and look over my trunks."

I've seen this a number of times. It's great fun. Love EGR in comedic roles. 

16 hours ago, TomJH said:

Karloff is sympathetic as the uglified assistant (Irene Ware, upon first sighting him, runs away after first letting out a series of screams).

After that scene, Lugosi tells her that Karloff looks that way because he was captured and tortured during WWI. She then goes to Karloff and apologizes, which I thought was a surprisingly touching scene amid the madness and mayhem. I love this film BTW, my favorite Karloff/Lugosi collaboration. 

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

After that scene, Lugosi tells her that Karloff looks that way because he was captured and tortured during WWI. She then goes to Karloff and apologizes, which I thought was a surprisingly touching scene amid the madness and mayhem. I love this film BTW, my favorite Karloff/Lugosi collaboration. 

I agree that the scene is touching as it is significant in humanizing Karloff's character and will play a role in his attitude towards her. I would rank THE BLACK CAT as my favourite of the Karloff-Lugosi co-starring efforts, with THE RAVEN number two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

:o  You mean Lugosi DIDN'T tell her he thought Karloff was a "LIMEY C**KS**KER"?  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2019 at 9:12 AM, TikiSoo said:

This past week I settled in to see TCM recorded DRUMS ACROSS THE MOHAWK 1939. This famous story takes place in my area and I was looking forward to seeing it. A big groan seeing John Ford directed this, I'm not a Ford fan. This movie was no exception, as his heavy handedness was all over the place. I see Ford as the mean counterpart of goofy Frank Capra-both heavy handed directors but Capra movies look better visually (Lubitsch lite) and while both are eye rolling corny, I think Capra coaxes more relaxed performances while Ford's actors always seem ill at ease. 

Anyway, funny to see pampered Claudette Colbert playing a "pioneer" woman and super handsome tall Henry Fonda as her husband, but the clothing helped create the illusion. The story starts out optimistic with the couple traveling west to settle a new farmstead. But soon Indians raid their farm, burning everything in sight. The couple gather with other settlers in the centrally located Fort, the "town" in essence. They go home with a rich widow farm owner wonderfully played by Edna Mae Oliver. They live peacefully after awhile and then- another wipe-out attack. Everyone gathers at the Fort again. The menfolk go out to raid the Indians, come back bloodied, dying.  Back to the Fort for an excruciatingly violent awful scene. Oliver's character dies.

With only 20 minutes to go, I stopped the recording. I was too depressed to watch any more. It was just relentless, with no relief. Oh I forgot, the great Ward Bond played a big bachelor who flirted with the widow, drank a lot & played cards. (big stretch) His scenes were supposed to be the comic relief. Bond played it very broadly, way too strong and it came across as silly & forced, I know Bond could do so much better, subtler.

Drumsalongthemohawk.jpg

And Claudette even got top billing! Quite a change of pace. Wonder how she liked working with the gruff Ford? I've seen the film, but it was a long time ago. Lots of fighting!

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

And Claudette even got top billing! Quite a change of pace. Wonder how she liked working with the gruff Ford? I've seen the film, but it was a long time ago. Lots of fighting!

Katharine Hepburn made "Mary of Scotland" with John Ford.

She got along with him just fine and was  magnificent on horseback.

Of course, in the end she lost her head but some things in history you can't change.

Yeah, they got quite chummy but Claudette was a different type in films. I guess they managed, but it's odd to see Colbert in a western type film...

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, they got quite chummy but Claudette was a different type in films. I guess they managed, but it's odd to see Colbert in a western type film...

Claudette was a different type all together.

She was really a French woman playing an American woman and she had so many other facets to her personality, as well.

I watched The Brain That Wouldn't Die again this morning. It was my first viewing of the Scream Factory Blu-ray. It looks terrific. The audio commentary is pretty dull, though.

Then I watched the recently-released Film Detective Blu-ray of Eegah!, and it looks fantastic. Every copy of this that I've ever seen looked awful, but they did a commendable job cleaning up the picture and audio. There's also an interview with Arch Hall Jr. included.

Both movies also included the MST3K versions as a bonus.

91p70qNEwBL._SX342_.jpg  

artworks-000201676529-byelob-t500x500.jp

eegah-blu-ray-review-high-def-digest-ric

eegah-blu-ray-review-high-def-digest-ric

• Like 2

I continued my cinema classics marathon with The Creeping Terror (1964), Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966), and the MST3K version of Red Zone Cuba/Night Train to Mundo Fine (1966). I'm still alive....I think.

CREEPING.jpg

gal_manos_the_hands_of_fate.jpeg.jpg

night_train_to_mundo_fine_1966_.jpg

• Like 1

Two Dollar Bettor (1951) - 

Two Dollar Bettor Poster

Interesting Cast - John Litel  is John Hewitt a large companies finance man a man who BTY never gambles who starts off as just a two dollar bettor. then gets way over his head,  Marie Windsor  plays  Mary Slate a collection connection/con woman. Steve Brodie is her lover/accomplice Rick Powers playing her brother. Also in  cast is Carl 'Alfalfa' Switzer      And Paul Maxey from The Narrow Margin

Windsor and Brodie  don't show up until close to the second half. Had to look up Litel, wonder why they went with him as the lead, I see from IMDb that he was in They Died With Their Boots On and then  been a bit part actor in about six Noir a lot of Westerns and then TV.

Pretty Blah Noir visually but the story is handled well. a NIPO - Noir In Plot Only. More a Crime film save for the down ending, 6/10

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Windsor and Brodie  don't show up until close to the second half. Had to look up Litel, wonder why they went with him as the lead, I see from IMDb that he was in They Died With Their Boots On and then  been a bit part actor in about six Noir a lot of Westerns and then TV.

John Litel was a very reliable Warner Bros actors during the 30s and 40s.        But yea,  he wasn't the leading male in many films.

He was familiar with the crime genre;  He was Nancy Drew's dad in the Bonita Granville serial.    

One of his best supporting roles was in the Bette Davis \ Bogart film TCM showed when Davis was STOM:  Marked Women.   Here he plays a lawyer for the mob and he was willing to tell "the man" the truth,  which was risky business.

image.jpeg.c5ea5d39a9ff27f1562dc1d26a626c44.jpeg

• Like 1

I finished out my day's movie-watching with The Astro-Zombies (1968). I watched the KL Blu-ray, featuring a beautiful picture restoration. They also included a Riff-Traxx audio track for added amusement. Two thumbs up, directly into my eyes!

91rePK8CTYL._SX342_.jpg

tura_astrozombie2.jpg

10-9-2015+10-33-36+AM.jpg

vlcsnap-00011.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I finished out my day's movie-watching with The Astro-Zombies (1968)

I have always wanted to see this one, mostly because of Tura Satana. She was so dangerously sexy in Faster Pussycat Kill Kill, I was always hoping to see her in something else. Does she have a significant role in Astro Zombies?

Knives Out Poster

Knives Out - current release 5/10

An elderly patriarch of a wealthy family is found dead, everyone is  a suspect.

I was looking forward to this one but was a bit disappointed. The cast was the real attraction here: Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis, Chris Evans, Don Johnson, Michael Shannon and Christopher Plummer as the victim.  The real main character is the least known cast member Ana de Armas as a South American nurse to Plummer.  She is very good and Craig has fun as a Southern gentleman detective. However the film is overlong (130 min) and while it is a murder mystery spoof, some of the humor falls flat. While I did not figure out everything, some of it was predictable. I wouldn't recommend seeing it in a theater, wait until you can see it for free and you might like it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I finished out my day's movie-watching with The Astro-Zombies (1968). I watched the KL Blu-ray, featuring a beautiful picture restoration. They also included a Riff-Traxx audio track for added amusement. Two thumbs up, directly into my eyes!

91rePK8CTYL._SX342_.jpg

I rented the RIFFTRAX version of ASTROZOMBIES from AMAZON PRIME a month or so ago; if I recall correctly, I made a mention of it here (which I don't usually do in re: films i watch thru RIFFTRAX)- but I felt the need to record the fact that  WENDELL COREY is more obviously DRUNK ON SCREEN than ANY ACTOR in ANY MOVIE I have EVER SEEN....

i was surprised though at how clear the print was and how it was not badly lit or photographed...considering how BAD everything else about the movie that didn't involveTURA SATANA was.

EDIT: Wait, except for PETER LAWFORD IN ANGEL'S REVENGE... no one can out-slosh PETER.

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I continued my cinema classics marathon with The Creeping Terror (1964), Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966), and the MST3K version of Red Zone Cuba/Night Train to Mundo Fine (1966). I'm still alive....I think.

CREEPING.jpg

gal_manos_the_hands_of_fate.jpeg.jpg

night_train_to_mundo_fine_1966_.jpg

MANOS, a truly awful film. I remember seeing it on MST3000. Even they couldn't save it. Creeping Terror was pretty bad too.

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I have always wanted to see this one, mostly because of Tura Satana. She was so dangerously sexy in Faster Pussycat Kill Kill, I was always hoping to see her in something else. Does she have a significant role in Astro Zombies?

Yes, she's in it quite a bit. I believe it's her biggest role other than Faster Pussycat.

• Thanks 1