Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) *Score: 3.5/5

Starring: Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum, Leonard Nimoy, Veronica Cartwright. 

Not as enjoyable as the original '56 version, but it was nice to have a little Kevin McCarthy cameo in the first half. 

THE 39 STEPS (1935) *Score: 2.5/5

Starring: Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll, Lucie Mannheim, Godfrey Tearle, Peggy Ashcroft, John Laurie, Helen Haye. 

I really didn't enjoy this upon rewatching it. I remember liking it back in high school, but I was terribly bored this second time. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) *Score: 3.5/5

Starring: Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum, Leonard Nimoy, Veronica Cartwright. 

Not as enjoyable as the original '56 version, but it was nice to have a little Kevin McCarthy cameo in the first half. 

THE 39 STEPS (1935) *Score: 2.5/5

Starring: Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll, Lucie Mannheim, Godfrey Tearle, Peggy Ashcroft, John Laurie, Helen Haye. 

I really didn't enjoy this upon rewatching it. I remember liking it back in high school, but I was terribly bored this second time. 

Oh I love The 39 Steps.  It was the first film I'd seen with Robert Donat and I thought he was really cute.  Though I've only seen it once.  Hopefully a second viewing doesn't lessen my enjoyment of it. 

Have you seen The Lady Vanishes ? That is another of Hitch's British films before he came to the US to make Rebecca.  I loved that movie.

Road to Morocco (1942) with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope

This is both my first Crosby film and Hope film. Sometimes I’ll see an image of an actor and tell myself that I don’t like them, which I did with Hope. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually enjoy his acting. It’s not one of my all-time favorites, but I’ll seek out the other Road to... films now. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Oh I love The 39 Steps.  It was the first film I'd seen with Robert Donat and I thought he was really cute.  Though I've only seen it once.  Hopefully a second viewing doesn't lessen my enjoyment of it. 

Haven't seen the movie, but our local theater company tried to do the off-Broadway four-man stage version last year:

i feel kind of guilty admitting this, but i have seen HOLD BACK THE DAWN (1941) once before and love it, so I enthusiastically rewatched (and recommended it) only to be left cold by my second vieweing; although I like all the actors and the location shooting is nice. and I still think the clever bookending of the story with its inception on a hot set on THE PARAMOUNT LOT is inspired (and a nice chance to see.)

i guess current events have me too cynical to buy in to this one at the moment.

maybe i just was not in the right mood.

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Have you seen The Lady Vanishes ? That is another of Hitch's British films before he came to the US to make Rebecca.  I loved that movie.

I've seen "Lady Vanishes" before, but it was a long while ago, and I hope upon rewatch, it fares better than 39 Steps. 

• Like 1

Born to Kill (1947) with Claire Trevor and Lawrence Tierney 

I haven’t decided if I like this film or not. At some points, I thought it was fantastic, and at others, I was disappointed. There are some plot holes that bothered me, but Trevor and Tierney make up for it with their crazy characters. I thought the ending was the best part of the film. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i feel kind of guilty admitting this, but i have seen HOLD BACK THE DAWN (1941) once before and love it, so I enthusiastically rewatched (and recommended it) only to be left cold by my second vieweing; although I like all the actors and the location shooting is nice. and I still think the clever bookending of the story with its inception on a hot set on THE PARAMOUNT LOT is inspired (and a nice chance to see.)

i guess current events have me too cynical to buy in to this one at the moment.

maybe i just was not in the right mood.

I watched the recent showing and was struck how "quaint" it was compared to what's going on with immigrants today. Even back then I'm sure the happy ending didn't ring true...

• Like 1

When you have great chemistry between two actors it's movie GOLD! It compensates for other weaknesses that may exist in a film.

MV5BMTU1MTM3NjQzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTUx

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I watched the recent showing of HOLD BACK THE DAWN and was struck how "quaint" it was compared to what's going on with immigrants today. Even back then I'm sure the happy ending didn't ring true...

Too easy to envision it as DATELINE NBC: HOLD BACK THE DAWN with LESTER HOLT.

”they found her finger in the desert and figured the coyotes just got the rest...And that finger had a ring on it, a ring that unlocked a mystery that starts in war torn Romania ...”

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

”they found her finger in the desert and figured the coyotes just got the rest.”

LOL!

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ALTHOUGH...one thing that occurred to me watching HOLD BACK THE DAWN was how much better a leading man BOYER would have been for JOAN FONTAINE in SUSPICION than CARY GRANT.

Yes, I agree! Grant just wasnt believable as a cad. Now Boyer could be.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

”they found her finger in the desert and figured the coyotes just got the rest...And that finger had a ring on it, a ring that unlocked a mystery that starts in war torn Romania ...”

Even Better! :D

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ALTHOUGH...one thing that occurred to me watching HOLD BACK THE DAWN was how much better a leading man BOYER would have been for JOAN FONTAINE in SUSPICION than CARY GRANT.

Maybe Boyer’s accent would have made the monkey face pet name more palatable? 

Every time I see/hear Boyer, I just think of: LUCY, I LOVE YOU, RAWR. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So Grant was miscast in Notorious,  as well?

It’s SUCH a different part in NOTORIOUS though, There’s nothing ambiguous about his darkside in that movie. He doesn’t have to go pussyfooting around the fact that he’s not nice and he is not supposed to be either.

In a lot of ways I kind of think NOTORIOUS was a way of Hitchcock apologizing to Grant for what he did to him with SUSPICION

ps- So glad the auto sensor allows us to say pussyfooting.

pss- pussyfooting 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- So glad the auto sensor allows us to say pussyfooting.

pss- pussyfooting 

Wow! I'm surprised it was allowed.

When I hear pussyfoot I always think of BABES IN TOYLAND.

I wonder if **** is allowed?

I watched Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935) on TCM last night, a film I like very much and haven't seen for years. It occurred to me that the young leads (Gary Cooper, Franchot Tone, Richard Cromwell) had purely American accents, with no attempt whatsoever to try to affect British accents. The older officers -- Guy Standing, C. Aubrey Smith, Lumsden Hare -- all had good British accents. Perhaps in that regiment one's accent doesn't mature until one is older? 

Anyhow, the three leads got to wear all sorts of wonderful drag. The costume designer, Travis Banton,  must have had a field day! 

release-date-was-feb-15-1935-film-title-

MV5BOWQzOTBhMTQtOWVkYy00YjJhLTg0ODMtZGUw

zuj-19350712-alx-g90-737.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, I'm hooked on this fear they neighbor show. I always walk away thinking it would be best to move (if financially possible) if ever having a neighbor conflict like we see in this show. I personally would have to because I can't be around cuckoo, I have to have peace when I am at home. Also, especially the parents in these situations need to suck it up and do what's best for the family and find different pastures if possible. 

I've also noticed a trend recently in the stories of this show, is that a fair amount of the people in these conflicts, especially the men, aren't working anymore. Retired, disability, retired firemen, officers, on and on. Which makes it easy to point out the person who just obsesses about the goings on of the neighborhood all the time.

I swear this show has affirmed to me that it's best to not get to know very many people (I'm not talking about not being cordial in social situations) because when there isn't a relationship then there aren't expectations. Wow. I could talk about this show with people that have seen it for hours. It's fun seeing these different posts to see how differently we all absorb it and view it. 

• Confused 1