Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Yeah, 25 years later. Like many she was wasted at WB.

47 minutes ago, Hibi said:

YES! Another disappointing damsel in distress vehicle by BABS from the same time period. She was right to ask WB to end her contract. Losing The Fountainhead was the last straw and I don't blame her!

What is it with Alexis Smith at WB? She's always the other woman (sometimes nice; sometimes nasty) She played the same type of part in that other Bogie Noir a few years earlier (I forget the title) which was a little better than this one. I agree she would've been a good fit in Cat People in Simone's part........

Conflict was the other one with Bogie.

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, couldn't remember. Was on Noir Alley not too long ago. Similar story too.

I MISS NOIR ALLEY!!! :(

Just now, Hibi said:

Yes, couldn't remember. Was on Noir Alley not too long ago. Similar story too.

Almost identical. Only Rose hobart in the earlier film definitely wasn't as well known as Barbara Stanwyck in the Two Mrs. Carrolls. But I wonder how many 1947 audiences felt deja vu that day they saw it.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

That’s another film that I wasn’t going to watch, watched it right before it expired on TCM, and loved it. 

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, 25 years later. Like many she was wasted at WB.

After Alexis Smith had won the Tony award for "Follies", she finished the Broadway run and took it to LA.

On YouTube they showed her at the end of a performance in Hollywood, then she was surprised with a "This Is Your Life" Ralph Edwards program.

When he started to recount her movie roles, she actually turned to the audience and apologized for her mediocre work and said that she should have demand  better roles. 

It seemed as though this was something she had wanted to get off her chest for a long time.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Hibi said:

the-two-mrs-carrolls-1.jpg

Interesting....ever since I first saw Alexis Smith in THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT as a kid, I had a thing for her. You could tell she was tall, and had beautiful red hair even in b&w...there is just something natural, yet elegant about her. "Alexis" was even my first choice of name if I had a girl (I didn't)

Funny, reading her bio on Wiki, she was brought up in LA but wasn't "discovered" by the studios until college. Also on wiki:

Smith was born in Penticton, British Columbia to Gladys Mabel Fitz-Simmons (a Canadian) and Alexander Smith (a Scot).

OK, so my terminology has yet again been corrected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Parasite (2019)

Parasite Poster

Watched this night before last.  A family of poor con artists basically take over the home of rich family.  Pretty quirky and  entertaining.  8/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

After Alexis Smith had won the Tony award for "Follies", she finished the Broadway run and took it to LA.

On YouTube they showed her at the end of a performance in Hollywood, then she was surprised with a "This Is Your Life" Ralph Edwards program.

When he started to recount her movie roles, she actually turned to the audience and apologized for her mediocre work and said that she should have demand  better roles. 

It seemed as though this was something she had wanted to get off her chest for a long time.

LOL. I remember that This Is Your Life but I don't remember her saying that. Sadly, LA didn't love Follies and it cut short it's open ended run and cancelled its tour. It was an expensive show. Wish someone would've videotaped it. That cast can't be duplicated.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Almost identical. Only Rose hobart in the earlier film definitely wasn't as well known as Barbara Stanwyck in the Two Mrs. Carrolls. But I wonder how many 1947 audiences felt deja vu that day they saw it.

WARNER BROS movies of the 1940's are a REAL FAVORITE OF MINE, and yet, while the LATE forties yielded a lot of great films for them, they started optioning a lot of second rate stories and books and there are, of course, some REAL MISSTEPS from the time, ie THE FOUNTAINHEAD.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Interesting....ever since I first saw Alexis Smith in THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT as a kid, I had a thing for her. You could tell she was tall, and had beautiful red hair even in b&w...there is just something natural, yet elegant about her. "Alexis" was even my first choice of name if I had a girl (I didn't)

Funny, reading her bio on Wiki, she was brought up in LA but wasn't "discovered" by the studios until college. Also on wiki:

Smith was born in Penticton, British Columbia to Gladys Mabel Fitz-Simmons (a Canadian) and Alexander Smith (a Scot).

I always thought that Alexis Smith was grotesquely wasted by Warner Brothers during the '40s in bland "other woman" roles. The two exceptions to this were when she was allowed to banter on screen and have antagonistic relationships with Errol Flynn in Gentleman Jim and San Antonio (the earlier scenes in that western, at least). She comes across as spirited and feisty with Flynn. (The two were friends off screen, with Errol best man at her wedding to Craig Stevens).

MV5BZjUwOTg1OTAtNmU1Ny00ODliLWE3NGYtNGFj

EH3KNtnAbLGLFo1ZSjE_5SS1hZUEl6d5S-IVLPjf

And, I must say, I also thought Alexis looked marvelous when she warbled the sentimental "One Sunday Morning" (a song that became a big hit afterward) to a saloon full of appreciative cowboys in San Antonio.

1222981380_1.jpg

Aside from those two roles (and, perhaps, an unexpected turn at something different, playing a scheming manipulator in One More Tomorrow) I thought that little of this actress's real talent was allowed to blossom during her Warners years.

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Parasite (2019)

Parasite Poster

Watched this night before last.  A family of poor con artists basically take over the home of rich family.  Pretty quirky and  entertaining.  8/10

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but were you shocked by the twists and turns starting around the midway point and the incredible ending?

41 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I always thought that Alexis Smith was grotesquely wasted by Warner Brothers during the '40s in bland "other woman" roles. The two exceptions to this were when she was allowed to banter on screen and have antagonistic relationships with Errol Flynn in Gentleman Jim and San Antonio (the earlier scenes in that western, at least). She comes across as spirited and feisty with Flynn. (The two were friends off screen, with Errol best man at her wedding to Craig Stevens).

And, I must say, I also thought Alexis looked marvelous when she warbled the sentimental "One Sunday Morning" (a song that became a big hit afterward) to a saloon full of appreciative cowboys in San Antonio.

1222981380_1.jpg

Aside from those two roles (and, perhaps, an unexpected turn at something different, playing a scheming manipulator in One More Tomorrow) I thought that little of this actress's real talent was allowed to blossom during her Warners years.

I agree that Warners did not use Alexis to her best advantage, which is a shame because she always came across to me very spirited in her performances.

She should have had a more impactful career.

Nice to know she and Errol were such good friends offscreen. Really love their teaming in GENTLEMAN JIM.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

1222981380_1.jpg

Do you know if she actually sang or was dubbed? I haven't seen that film.

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Do you know if she actually sang or was dubbed? I haven't seen that film.

It sounds like her voice. By the way, despite his presence in this scene, I've always suspected that Errol wasn't on the set when Alexis sang this number but was cut in later. You never see his face in a shot with her.

Yeah, you only see the back of him when she's singing. LOL. It does sound like her. Hard to say. (knowing how studios loved to dub).

22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

better direction was still needed. such an outlandish story needed more interesting editing, camera movement and shot lengths, this was shot without  an eye

Nothing like this could occur to me. I don't know enough about directing. I thought it was okay enough. Is there anything to be said for its apparent simplicity, as is? Just wondering. The problem (if there is a problem) with accents doesn't hit my radar. I don't expect that kind of precision with Hollywood movies.

Correct me if I missed something but it did not seem so immediately clear to me that there was anything wrong with Mr Carroll. And I was looking for something, since our own Mr Manko laid this execrable spoiler regarding Mr Carroll and his mental state. Going so far as telling us THAT HE WAS A MAN WHO MARRIED WOMEN AND THEN MURDERED THEM or something like that. I don't think the viewer should know that, going in (especially since there are only two wives).  Mank should be ashamed for allowing himself to say that.  There may have been tell-tale signs of the unhinged (re Bogie) but I didn't really become aware of that until the very end where Bogart really surprised me with his acting. The gradual awareness of the painting(s) was suggestive, and there may have been other signs but I thought Mr Carroll's general comportment not so off the wall throughtout.. If I am not being perceptive enough about that then I would say, tentatively, that Bogie might have given us more (or Maybe Mankie baby corrupted my mind with his assertions).

The little girl did not seem particularly creepy or spooky to me. She would not have passed muster for the children of the damned. Talks too much and not enough glow in the peepers, ha.. But there is something generally weird about vastly precocious children like this who come off as miniature adults. sometime unrealistically so. But I don't feel she was intended as a spooky element. Perhaps a little mischievous ("let's go see the picture, ma, I got the key?").  If her mother was not so agitated about it, she might have disciplined her child for duplicity, "Okay, young lady, no Shakespeare for a week."

I liked the gradual awareness of Mrs Carrol. Shades of Sudden Fear. Chekhov's gun, it wasn't used. But I was glad she had it. It killsl me in movies when folks who don't know guns allow their captives to get so close to them. Watch out, Babs! But no shooting, Bogie needs to survive so that we can see how unhinged he actually is. Got milk?

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

It sounds like her voice. By the way, despite his presence in this scene, I've always suspected that Errol wasn't on the set when Alexis sang this number but was cut in later. You never see his face in a shot with her.

Alexis and Errol actually sing together in Montana.  I always liked that part of the film even if it's a little goofy. 

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Alexis and Errol actually sing together in Montana.  I always liked that part of the film even if it's a little goofy. 

The sound is pretty low, unfortunately, at least on my computer. I never thought Alexis Smith was more gorgeous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I really like Alexis Smith.  I think she's gorgeous and I like the stoic quality that she brings to many of her roles.  I loved her in Gentleman Jim.  I want to see The Turning Point with Smith, William Holden, and Edmond O'Brien but it hasn't shown up on TCM recently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I really like Alexis Smith.  I think she's gorgeous and I like the stoic quality that she brings to many of her roles.  I loved her in Gentleman Jim.  I want to see The Turning Point with Smith, William Holden, and Edmond O'Brien but it hasn't shown up on TCM recently. 

She was SOTM once, many many years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Alexis Smith is good in The Woman in White a Warner period drama with Sydney Greenstreet,  and Eleanor Parker (playing two characters).    (but like in a lot of movies,  Agnes Moorehead gives the most compelling performance).

The Woman in White FilmPoster.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Alexis Smith is good in The Woman in White a Warner period drama with Sydney Greenstreet,  and Eleanor Parker (playing two characters).    (but like in a lot of movies,  Agnes Moorehead gives the most compelling performance).

The Woman in White FilmPoster.jpeg

This was a great movie! I also liked Alexis in a more comedic role in The Doughgirls

Does Alexis Smith appear in any films with her husband, Craig Stevens? I know that they're both in Dive Bomber, but they're not really acting together in that film.

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

She was SOTM once, many many years ago.

Yes. Maybe 15 or so years ago.