Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

I loved Holden in “Network.” I think looking out of place was kind of the idea. He represented the “old guard,” and television as he knew it was passing him by. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

it freaked me out. Memo to myself: No more De Palma films before bedtime.

Did you have to sleep with the lights on? 🤡

Not a snark, I had to sleep with the lights on for a WEEK after seeing THE SHINING at the theater- first run- before scenes (thankfully) became common parodies similarly to The Exorcist. 

My tactic for not allowing movies to disturb me is to fast forward through ANY scenes that may "bother" me. Although FF just makes this downright comical-

misquamacus.jpg

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I saw the western El Dorado this afternoon (which was enjoyable, and it was nice to see Robert Mitchum again), but I'm still a bit discombobulated from seeing Phantom of the Paradise (1974) just before bed last night. Bad idea. Very bad idea. I had trouble getting to sleep after that one's crazy, disturbing finale. The film's very effective and well handled both directorially and acting wise, but it freaked me out. Memo to myself: No more De Palma films before bedtime.

14 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Phantom of the Paradise is a weird one. I like Paul Williams, though. He is a very good songwriter. "Old Souls" is my favorite song in the movie. And that character Beef is a riot. Did you know Sissy Spacek was a set dresser?

PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE is 100% BEEF. It IS BEEF'S MOVIE and everything else in it is merely tangential.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE is 100% BEEF. It IS BEEF'S MOVIE and everything else in it is merely tangential.

Lorna, that was absolutely hilarious !  The "laugh" emoji is not enough to convey how funny it was. I was literally  laughing  out  loud !  Thanks !

7 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Lorna, that was absolutely hilarious !  The "laugh" emoji is not enough to convey how funny it was. I was literally  laughing  out  loud !  Thanks !

IT'S TRUE THOUGH!

There needs to be special PURE BEEF FAN EDIT.

• Haha 1

LAURA

Watched it last night on TCM in real time.  I've seen "Laura" many times, I own the DVD, I wrote an essay about it once.  I don't seem to get tired of this movie.  I have noticed, with subsequent viewings, that there are a lot of funny aspects to it--funny as in, make me laugh.  All the characters lie their heads off, even when it's not necessary.  Vincent Price is hilarious, I love him.  And how come Waldo Lydecker has a bathtub in the middle of his living room?   When Waldo and Laura go to Ann Treadwell's apartment to confront Shelby  (Price), there he is, having coffee and muffins (or something) with Ann, cool as a cucumber.  For some reason I find that scene, and several others in "Laura", really funny.  This is not to say that I don't take the film seriously, I also really like it as a mystery /detective story, and as a very early noir (sort of.)

It's the performances of every one involved that make it so entertaining, that, plus the lush elegant drawing room settings (not very noirish !)  and all that rain.  This movie is like an old friend to me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

LAURA

Watched it last night on TCM in real time.  I've seen "Laura" many times, I own the DVD, I wrote an essay about it once.  I don't seem to get tired of this movie.  I have noticed, with subsequent viewings, that there are a lot of funny aspects to it--funny as in, make me laugh.  All the characters lie their heads off, even when it's not necessary.  Vincent Price is hilarious, I love him.  And how come Waldo Lydecker has a bathtub in the middle of his living room?   When Waldo and Laura go to Ann Treadwell's apartment to confront Shelby  (Price), there he is, having coffee and muffins (or something) with Ann, cool as a cucumber.  For some reason I find that scene, and several others in "Laura", really funny.  This is not to say that I don't take the film seriously, I also really like it as a mystery /detective story, and as a very early noir (sort of.)

It's the performances of every one involved that make it so entertaining, that, plus the lush elegant drawing room settings (not very noirish !)  and all that rain.  This movie is like an old friend to me.

I love Laura. I also own a copy.  I also think it's really funny, especially Waldo.  I love his bathtub in the living room.  It always fascinates me when people in old movies are doing other activities in their bathtub, even ones involving paper! If I tried typing on a typewriter like Waldo does, my article (or whatever he's writing) would be a soggy mess by the end. Do you just never put your hands in the water? When Waldo is in the bathtub, there's a brief scene where you can see that Clifton Webb has swim trunks on.

I always laugh at Gene Tierney's droopy hat that looks like she got caught in the rain. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Laura. I also own a copy.  I also think it's really funny, especially Waldo.  I love his bathtub in the living room.  It always fascinates me when people in old movies are doing other activities in their bathtub, even ones involving paper! If I tried typing on a typewriter like Waldo does, my article (or whatever he's writing) would be a soggy mess by the end. Do you just never put your hands in the water? When Waldo is in the bathtub, there's a brief scene where you can see that Clifton Webb has swim trunks on.

I always laugh at Gene Tierney's droopy hat that looks like she got caught in the rain. 

Yes, she seems to favour those silly drooping hats. Only someone as beautiful as Gene Tierney could get away with them.  I think here's the one you were referring to:

image.jpeg.65bb979bd5170b519c7a9ce5881880d4.jpeg

But she also wears another droopy hat in another scene, I think Shelby(Vincent Price) even says he "approves" of it !

image.jpeg.811b5058fa6a9f19a3c83192164129d1.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

It is a CLOCHE HAT, AND I think GENE WORKS IT. (IT'S AN INTERESTING STYLE CHOICE as (oops, caps lock) it was a style most popular in the 1920s.

(I guess LAURA HUNT is a HIPSTER)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloche_hat

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Yes, she seems to favour those silly drooping hats. Only someone as beautiful as Gene Tierney could get away with them.  I think here's the one you were referring to:

image.jpeg.65bb979bd5170b519c7a9ce5881880d4.jpeg

But she also wears another droopy hat in another scene, I think Shelby(Vincent Price) even says he "approves" of it !

image.jpeg.811b5058fa6a9f19a3c83192164129d1.jpeg

I think I was specifically thinking of the gingham looking hat in the second picture; but yes, only Gene Tierney could get away with either of these hats.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It is a CLOCHE HAT, AND I think GENE WORKS IT. (IT'S AN INTERESTING STYLE CHOICE as (oops, caps lock) it was a style most popular in the 1920s.

I always thought of Cloche hats being more close around the face.  Gene's hat looks like a cross between a cloche and a 90s Blossom-style bucket hat.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, Garbo wore them a lot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh yeah, GRETA could WORK a CLOCHE.

Yeah, she did!

Everything about Gene in Laura is exquisite.  I mean, seriously, even the hats.

Gene Tierney in Laura 1944

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Everything about Gene in Laura is exquisite.  I mean, seriously, even the hats.

Gene Tierney in Laura 1944

I agree with  this.  One thing I love about Laura is just the look of the film.  It is a beautiful looking film.

• Like 2

With the end of Oscar month, I'm watching the all-day Jean Harlow birthday tribute while I'm working.  I'm watching the West Coast feed of Watch TCM, so I think I'm slightly behind what's airing live right now.  When I started watching, the West Coast film looked more appealing than the East Coast one.  I just finished Bombshell and now I'm watching Red-Headed Woman.  I love Red-Headed Woman.  It's so progressive for 1932.  I wish we could have seen Harlow in the 40s.  I think she would have re-invented herself.  She would have been interesting in noir. 

• Like 3

I like "Laura" too, but the one aspect I never liked about the film was how casually all the characters treated the death of the woman killed in Laura's apartment.  No one showed any emotion about the woman's death when they learned it wasn't Laura.  Only Dana Andrews seemed interested in capturing the real killer, and that's because it was his job.  Gene Tierney only showed emotion when it looked like she was being accused of the murder.  Dorothy Adams went into near hysterics when she saw Laura in the kitchen just days after she had thought her mistress had 'bought it' on Friday night, but Tierney treats the situation as 'no biggie'.  She tells Adams to whip up some coffee and eggs for her and Dana Andrews as if to say, "No, I'm not really dead.  Just relax.  I'm off to the animal shelter to bring home a furry friend.".   Most of us would have been unnerved or freaked out at the prospect of a person dying in their own apartment (and a messy and violent death, at that) after we let them stay there for a weekend while we were out of town.   I can see the real killer being upset about the events that happened in the apartment once they realized they killed the wrong person, but Laura and her friends just seemed like it was an every day occurrence.   I'll try to catch it on a re-broadcast to see if I'm wrong about that.  It's been a while since I've watched the movie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I like "Laura" too, but the one aspect I never liked about the film was how casually all the characters treated the death of the woman killed in Laura's apartment.  No one showed any emotion about the woman's death when they learned it wasn't Laura.  Only Dana Andrews seemed interested in capturing the real killer, and that's because it was his job.  Gene Tierney only showed emotion when it looked like she was being accused of the murder.  Dorothy Adams went into near hysterics when she saw Laura in the kitchen just days after she had thought her mistress had 'bought it' on Friday night, but Tierney treats the situation as 'no biggie'.  She tells Adams to whip up some coffee and eggs for her and Dana Andrews as if to say, "No, I'm not really dead.  Just relax.  I'm off to the animal shelter to bring home a furry friend.".   Most of us would have been unnerved or freaked out at the prospect of a person dying in their own apartment (and a messy and violent death, at that) after we let them stay there for a weekend while we were out of town.   I can see the real killer being upset about the events that happened in the apartment once they realized they killed the wrong person, but Laura and her friends just seemed like it was an every day occurrence.   I'll try to catch it on a re-broadcast to see if I'm wrong about that.  It's been a while since I've watched the movie. 

"BESSIE! Break out the Bon-Ami and get to work on the blood stain in the hall. I'm calling the liquor store. LET'S PARTY!"

(Said THE DETECTIVE ON THE CASE!)

• Haha 2

I also enjoy how LAURA asks BESSIE THE MAID to cook her and DANA ANDREWS some bacon and eggs about 30 seconds after SCARING THE EVERLIVING **** OUT OF THE WOMAN BY PRETTY MUCH RETURNING FROM THE DEAD.

"You can take a moment to stop hyperventilating. And don't make them runny, Bessie!"

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also enjoy how LAURA asks BESSIE THE MAID to cook her and DANA ANDREWS some bacon and eggs about 30 seconds after SCARING THE EVERLIVING **** OUT OF THE WOMAN BY PRETTY MUCH RETURNING FROM THE DEAD.

"You can take a moment to stop hyperventilating. And don't make them runny, Bessie!"

Well, she's only a servant..........

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Image result for garbo in cloche hat

To me this flop hat has a lot less flop than the ones in Laura  (especially the polka dotted  one),   and thus is  more attractive.  

But hey,  what do I know!      

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Well, she's only a servant..........

I have doubts she is paid. 

And while we’re on it, in all honesty, if someone IN REAL LIFE had taken a shotgun blast to the face at close range, that entry foyer would look like someone shook up a Tahitian Treat extra hard and then opened it, but it’s 1944, so no wall spatter.

3 hours ago, midwestan said:

I like "Laura" too, but the one aspect I never liked about the film was how casually all the characters treated the death of the woman killed in Laura's apartment.  

Well, it was not an unusual occurrence.  Don't forget, half the population of the United States got shot last year ... according to somebody ...