Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wow, I was never impressed by LAURA-and I even saw it on the big screen! Either that, or I've completely forgotten it/mixing it up with something else. Guess I need to call the li-berry.

And a cloche hat is small, bell shaped. Cloche is "bell" in French. The flapper's trademark:

Thelma_Todd_in_Corsair_2.jpg

a756b6fbf9b53416af4a060308d6a472.jpgBlog+Art+-+Some+Like+It+Hot+Curtis.jpg

20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have doubts she is paid. 

And while we’re on it, in all honesty, if someone IN REAL LIFE had taken a shotgun blast to the face at close range, that entry foyer would look like someone shook up a Tahitian Treat extra hard and then opened it, but it’s 1944, so no wall spatter.

LOL. Yeah, it would be gross out territory.  Maybe she works for love........

29 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And while we’re on it, in all honesty, if someone IN REAL LIFE had taken a shotgun blast to the face at close range, that entry foyer would look like someone shook up a Tahitian Treat extra hard and then opened it, but it’s 1944, so no wall spatter.

Too bad Dana Andrews didn't have Luminol.  With all that blood that had to be in the apartment, you could read a book by the amount of glowing light.

34 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

When I read this, it instantly brought to mind Thelma Ritter in Rear Window :

"Must've splattered a lot."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/2/2020 at 10:11 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

After it is over, I still feel stunned at what I saw, especially since this was 1964.

You ain't seen nothing yet.....

I really like LAURA too. It's one of my top five noirs. Clifton Webb is fantastic as Lydecker. He does smarmy and pompous equally well.  Also Gene Tierney is absolutely gorgeous. It's totally believable Dana Andrews's character could fall in love with her portrait. I too found it a little odd that they didn't seem too shaken  by the mistaken identity murder of Diane Redfern, but movies in the 40s didn't have all the stark realism we see in movies of today. 

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Did you have to sleep with the lights on? 🤡

Not a snark, I had to sleep with the lights on for a WEEK after seeing THE SHINING at the theater- first run- before scenes (thankfully) became common parodies similarly to The Exorcist. 

My tactic for not allowing movies to disturb me is to fast forward through ANY scenes that may "bother" me. Although FF just makes this downright comical-

I didn't have to sleep with the lights on, but i did find myself praying for a little bit, and then I was trying to clear my head for a little bit of some of the visuals I had just seen. (especially what happens to Paul Williams villain at the film's end)

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

I really like LAURA too. It's one of my top five noirs. Clifton Webb is fantastic as Lydecker. He does smarmy and pompous equally well.  Also Gene Tierney is absolutely gorgeous. It's totally believable Dana Andrews's character could fall in love with her portrait. I too found it a little odd that they didn't seem too shaken  by the mistaken identity murder of Diane Redfern, but movies in the 40s didn't have all the stark realism we see in movies of today. 

My view is that the detective feel in love with much more then just Laura's looks.      By the time he went to the apartment and took a nap,  he had already heard all about Laura from Lydecker and Lydecker (of course),   made Laura out to be something like a goddess based on her character (not just her look \ style).   

So when the detective went to the apartment,  had a few,   and saw that portrait,   the combination of that with what he had learned from Lydecker,   gave him the love bug.

The part that doesn't work-for-me is Laura falling so quickly for the detective.     A guy she knew next to nothing about (e.g. she didn't get the same type of backstory Lydecker gave the detective).

Oh, well,  still one of my top 10 noirs and just a well made film. 

16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

....The part that doesn't work-for-me is Laura falling so quickly for the detective.     A guy she knew next to nothing about (e.g. she didn't get the same type of backstory Lydecker gave the detective).

I dunno, I think Dana Andrews is pretty attractive.  In fact, I think I might add him on the "Beefcake" thread. Not that Dana was a "beefcake" kind of guy, but I always liked his face.

Image result for dana andrews laura

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I dunno, I think Dana Andrews is pretty attractive.  In fact, I think I might add him on the "Beefcake" thread. Not that Dana was a "beefcake" kind of guy, but I always liked his face.

So you agree with Lydecker when he criticized Laura for falling for beefcake over substance.

(not that the detective doesn't have substance but as I noted,  Laura didn't know anything about him since she just meeting him less than 24 hours before).

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I always thought of Cloche hats being more close around the face.  Gene's hat looks like a cross between a cloche and a 90s Blossom-style bucket hat.

I know 90s fashions are making a comeback, but I'm not sure about this hat.

.latest?cb=20140602104938

"Whoa!"

tumblr_mynsj5L3tN1t5i8k0o6_250.png

PS. I love LAURA too.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I know 90s fashions are making a comeback, but I'm not sure about this hat.

.latest?cb=20140602104938

"Whoa!"

tumblr_mynsj5L3tN1t5i8k0o6_250.png

PS. I love LAURA too.

The black hat Bridget Fonda wears in “Singles” is becoming trendy again. I’ve seen it on a few some 20-somethings recently. 

My uncle showed me the new movie Crawl.

Meh. 😒

The best part about it was the dog. I was for sure he was going to die, as most animals do in these kinds of movies, but he came out okay.

In a nutshell, daughter who adores her father, yet is estranged from him, goes to rescue him during a hurricane. The trio, daughter, dad and dog, become trapped in the basement of the house and are hunted by alligators. It has its jump scares to keep it exciting, and brief moments of respite where the daughter and dad can patch up their relationship.

The heroine's heroics are more "out there" than an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. The end credits made me mad. I HATE it when movies kill the mood of the ending by throwing in a dumb song right after. Why not play the soundtrack instead? All in all, if you're curious about seeing this, just watch Jaws

• Thanks 1

Wrote about this before but TCM on Demand-(spectrum) has tons of releases

THE GREAT RACE, BLACKBOARD JUNGLE, CHINA SYNDROME, NAKED SPUR, ADAM'S RIB, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, THE FRESHMAN (l990),  TO BE OR NOT TO BE (l942 version), BONNIE AND CLYDE, ROBIN & THE 7 HOODS

And lots more that I've not only recently watched but watch over and over & they constantly rotate them

Does anyone know what I mean?

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So you agree with Lydecker when he criticized Laura for falling for beefcake over substance.

(not that the detective doesn't have substance but as I noted,  Laura didn't know anything about him since she just meeting him less than 24 hours before).

You probably already know his brother was   damn it I forget right now  I keep thinking of Arness & Peter Graves as Brothers instead

7 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

what does anybody think of Alan Ladd in his role in BEST YRS...?

180px-Steve_Forrest_Hondo_Harrelson_SWAT

Steve Forrest is Dana Andrews' brother, spence.

I think Dana Andrews appeal for Laura is: he's younger,  has more common interests, a more "regular" guy.

• Like 1

Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews were co-starred on four occasions in their careers (there was actually a fifth film, as well, but I don't think they shared any scenes in that one). They aren't remembered for any of those films except one but that doesn't matter. Fans recall them with affection for Laura. There's something haunting about the idea of a man falling in love with a woman through her portrait hanging on a wall. Through Dana Andrews' stoic portrayal Otto Preminger helped the actor send out hints that this hard nosed detective was also capable of feelings of private longing. Gene Tierney's elegance and warm patrician beauty, at a peak when the production was made, adds to the appeal of a film about murder among the chic and sophisticated of upper class society.

The exquisite art direction and photography bring a luminous glow to the proceedings.  And, adding in no small way to the romantic appeal of this noirish tale, are the memorable strains of David Raksin's haunting musical score playing in the background throughout. The result, director Preminger's finest moment in the movies and a murder mystery to be remembered for its touch of class.

46263990_DATEBOOK_lasalle_laura-1024x793

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TomJH said:

The result, director Preminger's finest moment in the movies and a murder mystery to be remembered for its touch of class.

applause-o.gif

Beautifully written post, Tom 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

My view is that the detective feel in love with much more then just Laura's looks.      By the time he went to the apartment and took a nap,  he had already heard all about Laura from Lydecker and Lydecker (of course),   made Laura out to be something like a goddess based on her character (not just her look \ style).   

So when the detective went to the apartment,  had a few,   and saw that portrait,   the combination of that with what he had learned from Lydecker,   gave him the love bug.

The part that doesn't work-for-me is Laura falling so quickly for the detective.     A guy she knew next to nothing about (e.g. she didn't get the same type of backstory Lydecker gave the detective).

Oh, well,  still one of my top 10 noirs and just a well made film. 

You're right. It was more than just the portrait. I also think you have a good point about Laura falling for McPherson so quickly.

Martha Marcy May Marlene Poster

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) Cinemax On Demand 9/10

A young woman escapes a cult and tries to return to normalcy with her sister and brother in law.

A rewatch for me. This one of my favorite films of the last decade. Elizabeth Olsen is excellent in the lead role. It is a quiet, slowly paced film which shows the main character Martha living with her sister in a nice house and constantly having flashbacks of her time with the cult. In some scenes we are not sure at first which time period she is in. The cult seems to be based on the Manson family, John Hawkes plays the leader in a very subdued but still disturbing performance. The film does not explain everything, so it is left to the viewer to decide what is happening. Many will be frustrated by the ending but I found it haunting. First time director Sean Durkin  is someone to watch, he just had another film The Nest, which premiered at Sundance this year, I hope I get to see that. 

• Like 2

if anyone is interested, the novel LAURA by VERA CASPARY is available on amazon in either a paperback reprint or (shudder!) a KINDLE for those of you who are "into" that sort of thing.

I still remember checking it out from my local library back in the late spring of 1993 and falling in love with it (it is different in many ways from the movie, including a better, more suspenseful finale.)

https://www.amazon.com/Laura-Femmes-Fatales-Vera-Caspary/dp/1558615059/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=laura+vera+caspary&qid=1583332817&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if anyone is interested, the novel LAURA by VERA CASPARY is available on amazon in either a paperback reprint or (shudder!) a KINDLE for those of you who are "into" that sort of thing.

I still remember checking it out from my local library back in the late spring of 1993 and falling in love with it (it is different in many ways from the movie, including a better, more suspenseful finale.)

which, as I recall it-

has Detective McPherson discovering via an antique dealer that the murder weapon is still hidden in LAURA'S apartment (oddly, i think it's inside a vase, not a clock.) he has to run on foot several blocks to LAURA'S APARTMENT to rescue her from WALDO, who is FAT in the book. The men struggle and, as I recall it, Waldo falls over the stair railing to his death.

**it is possible i remember some of this wrong, as i did read the book back in 1993.

• Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) Cinemax On Demand 9/10

Whoever named this unfortunate child should be roundly rebuked.

1 minute ago, laffite said:

Whoever named this unfortunate child should be roundly rebuked.

😄

Actually, the character's real name is Martha, the cult leader renamed her Marcy May and if any female member answers the one phone in their farmhouse, they are instructed to say their name is Marlene.