Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

cigarjoe, have you ever visited the Lent Homestead? It's the oldest continuously lived in residence in NYC. Technically in East Elmhurst,  it's quite near the Astoria border. I went to a reception there, about 20 years ago. It was originally lived in by the Riker family, several of whom are buried in the small cemetery in the back.

Yes I could actually walk to it from my house. 

WsmhdnU.jpg

Black arrow was where I lived 49th Street. The Riker House, is near the bridge to Rikers Island center right it's marked on the map. The Steinway Mansion is close by also at 18-33 41st St.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Swithin said:

Speaking of Queens locations, I lived in LIC from 1982-2002, when LIC was still a village. I came home from work one warm May day in the late 1980s, and saw snow on the windows of my local elevated #7 station (45th Road/Court House Square). Coming down the stairs, I noticed that the shops had signs in Yiddish on them. Then I spotted a chair that said "Mr. Mazursky." They were shooting Enemies, A Love Story.  The neighborhood under the #7 elevated train was used to represent the Bronx neighborhood under the Jerome Avenue El, a few decades earlier.

Both those el's are over 100 years old now. If I remember right the Astoria line was built in 1917.

Just now, cigarjoe said:

Both those el's are over 100 years old now. If I remember right the Astoria line was built in 1917.

I grew up on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx, a few blocks from Jerome Avenue. I think it was very clever of the Enemies scouts to know that, by 1979, the area beneath the #7 El looked more like the Bronx than the Bronx did at that point. So much of Jerome Avenue was disturbed by the Cross Bronx Expressway.

2 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I grew up on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx, a few blocks from Jerome Avenue. I think it was very clever of the Enemies scouts to know that, by 1979, the area beneath the #7 El looked more like the Bronx than the Bronx did at that point. So much of Jerome Avenue was disturbed by the Cross Bronx Expressway.

See if you can get a hold of The Incident (1967) lots of Bronx el footage in that film.

7 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

See if you can get a hold of The Incident (1967) lots of Bronx el footage in that film.

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I know that film. I just read that some of it was shot near the old 3rd Avenue El, which I remember. When I was a kid, it ran from 149th/3rd Avenue ("The Hub") northward.

One of my favorite Bronx movies is The Subject Was Roses, some of which was shot in the Bronx. The opening street scenes are pure Bronx, as is that apartment. It could have been my grandmother's. And I remember going to see The Wanderers. The shot of Alexander's Department Store on Fordham Road is iconic to any old Bronxite.

• Like 1

The Muppets (2011). I don't know why, but I cried watching this. I haven't cried over a movie in a long time. A Muppet movie of all things! When Kermit and Miss Piggy sing "Rainbow Connection" I could feel the waterworks coming. And when they lose their theater and go outside to find thousands of screaming fans, that's when the tears really started coming.

01d75-rainbow.jpg

I guess I'm a big, sentimental kid at heart. I love that little frog. ❤️

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Swithin said:

Speaking of Queens locations, ...

Who's the chick?

:D

I have a feeling I should know ... but I don't. Nothing new.

3 hours ago, laffite said:

Who's the chick?

:D

I have a feeling I should know ... but I don't. Nothing new.

Lena Olin in Enemies, A Love Story (1989). The shot represents Jerome Avenue in the Bronx in 1949, but it was shot in Long Island City, Queens, in 1989.

On 3/13/2020 at 8:56 AM, cigarjoe said:

I've watched Kiss of Death (1947) many times and finally got around to writing a review here are some paragraphs from it.

Great review Joe.

I had previously talked about this film on an earlier post. It is is my favorite gangster/noir film. Do you place it high on your list as well?

Also on Victor Mature, I think when he has a good script and director he can be excellent. I think he has been unfairly maligned, do you agree?

• Like 2

I just watched RETURN OF THE SEVEN.  It's a fairly weak sequel to the 1960 MAGNIFICENT SEVEN which was a classic. Yul Brenner and the music were the two best things about it. Robert Fuller does an OK job as Vinn, but clearly he's no Steve McQueen.  The character development is lacking compared to the original and the plot isn't as interesting either. It did prompt me to do a little research on all five films ( the original, three sequels and the 2017 re-make). I have not seen the other sequels or the recent re-make, but I'm a huge fan of Denzel Washington. From what I've read the 2017 film is pretty good even though they've altered the names of the characters and have  changed the plot.  Also, apparently the musical score is different too. I'm not sure I can handle that change. If I do decide to watch it I guess I'll have to put aside my long held belief that some great classic films should not be re-made.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Great review Joe.

I had previously talked about this film on an earlier post. It is is my favorite gangster/noir film. Do you place it high on your list as well?

Also on Victor Mature, I think when he has a good script and director he can be excellent. I think he has been unfairly maligned, do you agree?

A few years back Jim, I started a thread with the title of something like "In Praise of Victor Mature", as I too always felt he was always underrated as an actor. As I recall, it got a lot responses which ran the gamut from agreement with my take on him of being a much better actor than remembered by many, to the thought he was merely adequate, and to even opinions that he was rather odd looking.

(...and so I'm at least with ya anyway about the guy who would first come on the acting scene being known as "The Hunk", but for some reason in the minds of many, was never able to shake that image with them)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

High Anxiety. Mel Brooks. My favorite part is Dick Van Patten's murder scene.  Death by stereo. 

And with my favorites always being the hotel lounge (and at first reluctant to sing but then really getting into it) Sinatra-esque rendition of the movie's theme song done my Mel, AND the takeoff of the Psycho shower scene.

(…I still crack up when I think of Mel laying in that shower and him saying, "That boy gets no tip")

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Great review Joe.

Yes I think Mature is excellent with the right material and director.  I like Cry of the City I Wake Up Screaming,  and his small bit part in Shanghai Gesture.

I don't think I've seen his other two Noirs Gambling House or Moss Rose.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Yes I think Mature is excellent with the right material and director.  I like Cry of the City I Wake Up Screaming,  and his small bit part in Shanghai Gesture.

I don't think I've seen his other two Noirs Gambling House or Moss Rose.

The Long Haul a British noir is actually quite good. I remember liking it when it was shown. Victor Mature is very good in it, Diana Dors is in this one. TCM showed this one many years ago.

• Like 3

One of the problems with Mature was that he was in so few good films.

Film noir buffs might pick him out because of Kiss of Death and a couple of other films of the genre, and western buffs may recall his Doc Holiday in My Darling Clementine. Oh, yes, he might also be remembered by some for his grunting cave man in One Million B.C. but that usually gets more unintentional laughs than anything else. Mature appeared in a wide variety of films throughout his career, ranging from musicals to adventure films of which few give much of a thought today. And an awful lot of those films are, to put it kindly, forgettable at best.

I have to say that in a lot of films Mature did very routine work, an actor just cashing his pay cheque. Therefore, in the totality of his career, I can't really agree with those who try to make a case that Mature's underrated because so much of what he did was mediocre, or less, to my thinking, at least.

However, to give him credit, he was effectively cast in a couple of those noirs, Kiss of Death, of course, as well as a good little hard boiled number he made in England a decade later, The Long Haul. Mature underplayed in these films and he was an actor who always had a rather tortured, even sad cast to his face, which added to his conviction in more gritty characterizations.

Towards the end of his career Mature had a good time hamming it up as an aging movie star with hair dye coming out of his hair in After the Fox. It's a minor Peter Sellers comedy that few would mention, I suspect, if Mature hadn't delivered his rather endearing portrayal in which he clearly doesn't take himself seriously.

10884477%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

P.S.: I see that lavenderblue beat me to it in mentioning The Long Haul. Good taste, lav!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, TomJH said:

One of the problems with Mature was that he was in so few good films.

Film noir buffs might pick him out because of Kiss of Death and a couple of other films of the genre, and western buffs may recall his Doc Holiday in My Darling Clementine. Oh, yes, he might also be remembered by some for his grunting cave man in One Million B.C. but that usually gets more unintentional laughs than anything else. Mature appeared in a wide variety of films throughout his career, ranging from musicals to adventure films of which few give much of a thought today. And an awful lot of those films are, to put it kindly, forgettable at best.

I have to say that in a lot of films Mature did very routine work, an actor just cashing his pay cheque. Therefore, in the totality of his career, I can't really agree with those who try to make a case that Mature's underrated because so much of what he did was mediocre, or less, to my thinking, at least.

However, to give him credit, he was effectively cast in a couple of those noirs, Kiss of Death, of course, as well as a good little hard boiled number he made in England a decade later, The Long Haul. Mature underplayed in these films and he was an actor who always had a rather tortured, even sad cast to his face, which added to his conviction in more gritty characterizations.

Towards the end of his career Mature had a good time hamming it up as an aging movie star with hair dye coming out of his hair in After the Fox. It's a minor Peter Sellers comedy that few would mention, I suspect, if Mature hadn't delivered his rather endearing portrayal in which he clearly doesn't take himself seriously.

10884477%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

P.S.: I see that lavenderblue beat me to it in mentioning The Long Haul. Good taste, lav!

I watched The Long Haul recently.  Not a very good movie, but I tend to watch movies about trucking.  No reflection on Mature's acting, just not a good movie IMO.

My favorite Victor Mature movie is The Las Vegas Story and a close second is Dangerous Mission.   Of course Samson and Delilah had to be good when paired with Heddy Lamar.

21 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I watched The Long Haul recently.  Not a very good movie, but I tend to watch movies about trucking.  No reflection on Mature's acting, just not a good movie IMO.

My favorite Victor Mature movie is The Las Vegas Story and a close second is Dangerous Mission.   Of course Samson and Delilah had to be good when paired with Heddy Lamar.

Well, Cid, we clearly disagree about the effectiveness of The Long Haul. I found it quite gritty as well as emotionally involving since I cared about what was going to happen to Mature in it (another noir guy trapped in a bad situation beyond his control). His character is flawed (making him seem more realistic) but also sympathetic. I also appreciated the performance of Diana Dors, stuck in a lousy relationship but feeling for Mature, even though she causes him trouble.

• Like 2

AND, besides Samson and Delilah (and a film I remember Vic's performance at the end making me cry when I saw it on TV as a kid), we seem to have forgotten Vic's turn in another big Hollywood sword & sandal epic here folks...

richard-burton-victor-mature-the-robe-19

(...I mean, I'm sure it wasn't easy for Vic to keep a straight face and stay in character while Burton was chewin' up the scenery right in front of him here, ya know)

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

AND, besides Samson and Delilah (and a film I remember Vic's performance at the end making me cry when I saw it on TV as a kid), we seem to have forgotten Vic's turn in another big Hollywood sword & sandal epic here folks...

richard-burton-victor-mature-the-robe-19

(...I mean, I'm sure it wasn't easy for Vic to keep a straight face and stay in character while Burton was chewin' up the scenery right in front of him here, ya know)

Hey,  Dick,   its just some worn out cloth!

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The Long Haul a British noir is actually quite good. I remember liking it when it was shown. Victor Mature is very good in it, Diana Dors is in this one. TCM showed this one many years ago.

Yes agree  The Long Haul is pretty good too.  I've seen  just the beginning  of Pickup Alley (1957) also but that was a while ago I'd like to check it out, it may be streaming someplace. 😉

• Like 1