Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Time of Your Life (1948).

James Cagney sits in William Bendix's bar all day while a series of obnoxious people pass through.  Maybe this worked better as the stage play it's based on, but I didn't get what any of the characters saw in Cagney's character and most of them were irritating.  It doesn't help that the already slow movie is brought to a screeching halt by multiple song and dance numbers.

4/10.

• Like 1

A Successful Calamity (1932)

My 5th Arliss film and one that ends as soon as it starts. I prefer watching shorter films, but if this one was 15 or 20 minutes longer, it would have come into its own. I thought Evalyn Knapp was really good and William Janney was the only weak link.

I Wake Up Screaming (1941)

Someeewheeeereee over the raaaaainbooow! It's a shame Laird Cregar died so young, because he was as menacing as anyone could be. It would have been interesting to see how his career progressed throughout the 40s.

The Quiet Man (1952)

This is a really slow film, but I was laughing throughout the final 15 minutes. It was the first time I watched John Wayne in something other than a war or western film. 

Young Cassidy (1965)

Rod Taylor has quickly become one of my favorite actors. I loved this film and I loved his performance even more. 1960s cinema is far from my strong suit, so this might be a silly question, but was Taylor considered to be a major star? 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I Wake Up Screaming (1941)

Someeewheeeereee over the raaaaainbooow! It's a shame Laird Cregar died so young, because he was as menacing as anyone could be. It would have been interesting to see how his career progressed throughout the 40s.

if you have not already seen it, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HANGOVER SQUARE (1945)- his final film, a period piece with LINDA DARNELL.

(HOPE EVERYONE IS HANGING IN THERE ALL RIGHT)

Someone posted a bunch of episodes of MOONLIGHTING (1985-1989), which is wonderful, because for years it has been MIA insofar as I know. I've watched a few episodes- all of them strongly written, but the one that stands out is THE DREAM SEQUENCE ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, a film noir parody from the first season which was introduced by ORSON WELLES (sadly, the version I watched omitted his intro.)

it was directed by CHRISTIAN NYBY II, who I am thinking must have been the son of the famed film editor and it was EXQUISITELY SHOT IN BLACK AND WHITE. Lots of the time, when contemporary works are shot in Black and White, they don't have that GENUINE look to them, this episode looks like a genuine 40's film.

CYBILL SHEPHERD does a fair rendition of BLUE MOON and I had forgotten how MAGIC it was to watch her and BRUCE WILLIS go AT one another. Independently, they are uneven actors (Shepherd especially, as much as I love her), together, they are a ROM COM VOLTRON.

Also NO ONE WORKS A CLUTCH PURSE LIKE CYBILL SHEPHERD.

th?id=OIP.gKzNiAz3EcLYEwBkHvV-IgHaFl&pidmoonlighting+-+season+2+-+dream+sequence

• Like 8
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Someone posted a bunch of episodes of MOONLIGHTING (1985-1989), which is wonderful, because for years it has been MIA insofar as I know. I've watched a few episodes- all of them strongly written, but the one that stands out is THE DREAM SEQUENCE ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, a film noir parody from the first season which was introduced by ORSON WELLES (sadly, the version I watched omitted his intro.)

I assume the episodes included "Atomic Shakespeare", the one OTHER thing Moonlighting will always be remembered for in TV history, apart from Bruce & Cybil destroying their own series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijUr6p8xSBM

I've seen Bingie-Fangirl lists, on every blog and column site, about "What to Watch During the Quarantine", and it's (not so) amazing how many of them have never seen a TV series made before 2003, and want to discuss what happens on The Americans at great length.  Except for one, who said, "OMG, you have to watch the Golden Girls!", and one which just started to discover that Columbo reruns on Amazon were sorta addictive.  And we have enough problems trying to get them to watch old films.

(My existence, OTOH, has been bouncing back and forth between Blu-ray, and Doctor Who, Match Game and MST3K on PlutoTV.  And I just found a new stash of Fantasy Island on Crackle, so I'm good.)

"Now and Forever" (1934) on Youtube.

No wonder it's not aired or promoted like the other Shirley Temple films, boring and she sung the worst song ever.  The only redeeming part is the crying scene.

All her cuteness can't save that one! Zzzzzz.

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

I assume the episodes included "Atomic Shakespeare", the one OTHER thing Moonlighting will always be remembered for in TV history, apart from Bruce & Cybil destroying their own series.

Watched that one this morning.

It's good, although there are a couple of parts that have not aged well- (while the exclamation "ZOUNDS! WHAT MOUNDS!" is funny as Hell, the fact that Willis's character then chases a barmaid and forcibly kisses her made me uneasy**) and there are some ninjas in one scene which are referred to as "ORIENTAL WARRIORS"- some of you might not know this, but using the O-word to describe Asian people is considered offensive (I only learned this from living on the west coast.)

still, funny and well directed, even if this is one of those episodes where WILLIS'S undeniable charisma and talents as an actor are overpowered by his smugness and "too cool for the room" routine.

**from the 7 or so episodes I have watched, Willis's character commits what could easily be labelled (today) as sexual assault quite a few times.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, hamradio said:

"Now and Forever" (1934) on Youtube.

No wonder it's not aired or promoted like the other Shirley Temple films, boring and she sung the worst song ever.  The only redeeming part is the crying scene.

All her cuteness can't save that one! Zzzzzz.

I think Now and Forever is one of the more interesting films in which Temple appeared primarily because it's interesting watching Gary Cooper playing a bit of a scoundrel. Coop is quite good in this film, too. He and Temple had nice chemistry. Carole Lombard is wasted in a colourless supporting role despite her co-star billing. Also, thank God, it's a Cooper film, not a Temple vehicle.

Gary-Cooper-Shirley-Temple-Carole-Lombar

• Like 1

out of the eps i have watched, this one has been my fave so far (i post this version, which does not include a fourth-wall breaking introduction by WILLIS AND SHEPHERD because it has not been slowed down like the other version on youtube.)

(for some reason, showing something at .5 speed helps bypass copyright law on youtube.)

• Thanks 1

out of the eps i have watched, this one has been my fave so far (i post this version, which does not include a fourth-wall breaking introduction by WILLIS AND SHEPHERD because it has not been slowed down like the other version on youtube.)

Try the finale episode, "Lunar Eclipse", which also fourth-wall kidded the fourth-season shark-jump after dumping the mystery format:  ABC executives cancel the show and start striking the sets mid-episode, and as the characters confusedly go off to their trailers, the Curtis Armstrong character tells Bruce, "You spent so much time on your stupid relationship, you drove the fans away!"

(for some reason, showing something at .5 speed helps bypass copyright law on youtube.)

Yep:  For all the Millennials championing "their" Internet and saying "Who needs Digital and disk?  You can find everything on YouTube now!", I always ask, "So, then, you LIKE watching your movies sped-up, with reduced volume, in a 1/3 postage-stamp  corner of the screen, with a 'glaucoma' blur-filter over it?"

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Yep:  For all the Millennials championing "their" Internet and saying "Who needs Digital and disk?  You can find everything on YouTube now!", I always ask, "So, then, you LIKE watching your movies sped-up, with reduced volume, in a 1/3 postage-stamp  corner of the screen, with a 'glaucoma' blur-filter over it?"

sometimes though it can be fun! I found a bunch of MURDER, SHE WROTE episodes on YOUTUBE that were at 1.5x speed and it was FUN AS HELL to watch.

I  imagined that CABOT COVE had developed a methamphetamine problem.

• Haha 1

Valley of the Kings (1954)

I thought the plot was a bit simplistic, but I'm a fan of adventure movies like this, so it wasn't a big issue. Being filmed on location, the scenery was great to look at and both Taylor and Parker were good in their roles. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, EricJ said:

For all the Millennials championing "their" Internet and saying "Who needs Digital and disk?  You can find everything on YouTube now!", I always ask, "So, then, you LIKE watching your movies sped-up, with reduced volume, in a 1/3 postage-stamp  corner of the screen, with a 'glaucoma' blur-filter over it?"

Don't be silly....I'm older than the millennials, and even I know there are places like Willtv, MusicHQ and others to stream tv dvd rips...and of course, with a lot of iptv providers, you get hundreds of 24/7 streams of the oldies...nobody should  sit through bad copies/ads.  Yesterday I watched Once Upon a Time..In Hollywood and Peggy Sue Got Married using the same Nova apk.  Tonight, I'm thinking Perry Mason..and I won't be wading through youtube.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, shutoo said:

Yesterday I watched Once Upon a Time..In Hollywood 

Ugh, I had been waiting on the request list for this over a month before the library closed. 

• Sad 1
On 3/17/2020 at 6:12 PM, EricJ said:

Was never a fan of BTILC (endless Precious Quirkiness from WD Richter, where coherent plot explanation is just too unhip), but there's more good popcorn from 1986--It wasn't '82 or '84, and nowhere near '81, but there's still plenty of hidden gold:

• Back to School
  • Running Scared
  • The Golden Child
  • Ruthless People
  • Gung Ho
  • Peggy Sue Got Married
  • Jumpin' Jack Flash
  • F/X
  • House (not the Japanese one)
  • The Boy Who Could Fly
  • The Manhattan Project
  • Clockwise
  • Solarbabies (just as representative decade symbol, and far less insufferable on that basis than Spacecamp)

It wasn't all JUST Howard the Duck, Labyrinth and Ferris Bueller, you know.

I love Peggy Sue Got married. Such a lovely film, and very underrated today. Kathleen Turner was touching, and it was such a moving film. (Also loved seeing Barbara Harris and Maureen O'Sullivan again). And I'll always remember Bette Midler's K-Mart line from Ruthless People......

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Ugh, I had been waiting on the request list for this over a month before the library closed. 

I was just at the video store in town (open for who knows how much longer thanks to virus lockdown) and another man there (who was talking first about it ) and I broke the news of the real fate of Sharon Tate to the clerk. :( Meanwhile, I picked up Knives Out and Ford Vs. Ferrari.....

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I love Peggy Sue Got married. Such a lovely film, and very underrated today. Kathleen Turner was touching, and it was such a moving film. (Also loved seeing Barbara Harris and Maureen O'Sullivan again).

It would have been a sleeper hit if "Back to the Future" had never existed, but, well...

And I'll always remember Bette Midler's K-Mart line from Ruthless People......

Although that's not QUITE the particular line that springs to people's mind when we now talk about "a Ruthless People moment":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waf46eBajkw

Knives Out (2019)

If only this film moved at a breezier pace, this could have been something very special. Ana De Armas is a charming lead and Daniel Craig's take on a Foghorn Leghorn/Colonel Sanders voice is distinctly amusing. Jaime Lee Curtis and Toni Collette are great fun as suspects, while its always a pleasure to see Christopher Plummer (whose role as the victim is a bit larger than I thought it would be). The script is also perceptive on the subject of modern social dysfunction so glaringly portrayed by this very wealthy and mixed-up family. And yet, at 130 minutes it feels distinctly overextended, and yet there is not as much examination of the suspects as I would have hoped. Maybe I was destined to be a little bit underwhelmed; my expectations were sky high, salivating at the prospect of a modern day equivalent of the 70s Agatha Christie films. This isn't like those, but it is not a complete wash. There is enough about it (plus a nice Murder She Wrote reference and a nod in the direction of Travels with My Aunt) that makes for a nice timefiller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/21/2020 at 5:20 PM, EricJ said:

I've seen Bingie-Fangirl lists, on every blog and column site, about "What to Watch During the Quarantine", and it's (not so) amazing how many of them have never seen a TV series made before 2003, and want to discuss what happens on The Americans at great length. 

Eric, I'm not surprised fans want to discuss what happens on The Americans. What the heck did happen on it? We tried watching this two or three times (different seasons, for two or three episodes each time) and the plot threads scarcely existed, and who could tell what year we were supposed to be in (the kid had a Beatle haircut but "Tainted Love" was being played), and one time a family got murdered for no apparent reason and then storyline seemed to be dropped, and then there was another episode after the daughter had told her minister about her family and the episode ended with someone being killed in bed in a room in nearly total darkness so that I couldn't tell who, and then this wasn't referred to in the next episode, at which point I had had enough of this supposedly excellent series.  What the #######!! Ugly and dysfunctional cinematography (it's DARK, you see, because dark means PROFOUND), and the performances of good actors like Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell counted for very little.

The whole premise of the series is supposedly based on the "Ghost Story" spies. Anyone who Googles "Ghost Story" and "Anna Chapman" will find a far more entertaining story than the one told by The Americans. A character based on Anna Chapman would have been incredibly entertaining.

• Thanks 1

Last night I watched 1965's FASTER PUSSYCAT KILL KILL, a movie I've wanted to see a long time mostly because I love what's indicated by the photos-

19651.jpg

It pretty much met my expectations seen in this photo-great cars and tacky but kind of hot looking gals as the stars. The girls looked that way because they were "exotic" dancers but upon hearing of an old man's fortune, became violent thieves going after his dough. The silly plot is peppered with scenes of girls erotic dancing, girls fighting in water and escalates to girls fighting men while rolling around in the sand. 

Watching the movie made me hot, but only because two of the gals constantly wore black jeans and all 3 were in tall boots-IN THE DESERT although no one showed any sweat. I actually liked the girls and thought they did a pretty good job acting. Tura Satana had real star power, the camera sure loved her.

I'll never have to watch this movie again, but most likely if it's on won't be able to turn my eyes away. Fun, mostly because the plot & violence is super fake and not believable. I bet this movie improves with subsequent viewings. 

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Last night I watched 1965's FASTER PUSSYCAT KILL KILL, a movie I've wanted to see a long time mostly because I love what's indicated by the photos-

19651.jpg

Watching the movie made me hot,

Me too.

• Haha 1