Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Makes ya wonder how many guys decided to go into acting because of that movie!  ;)

Sepiatone

I've gotten a lot of response to my MOONLIGHTING post, and have been youtubing all 65 or 66 episodes- although I have been avoiding certain episodes and story arcs- basically sticking to yE early days.

it is worth noting that i have laughed OUT LOUD, and HARD multiple times during most of these. I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW OFTEN THEY BROKE THE FOURTH WALL AND HOW EFFECTIVELY THEY DID IT.

it's also worth noting that HOLY COW, THE MUSIC THEY HAD ACCESS TO IS INSANE! I don't think you could have this soundtrack on a tv show today without paying a million dollars on song royalties. PLEASE MR POSTMAN, THE STAR WARS THEME, BE MY BABY, DEVIL WITH A BLUE DRESS, THE VERTIGO THEME, THE JAWS THEME, THIS OLD HEART OF MINE. I was about 8 years old when i started wtaching this show, my love for MOTOWN music started here.

again, all of these are on youtube- some are missing the introes and credits (the introes were NUTS sometimes, there is one HILARIOUS one where they kill DAVID ADDISON'S mother becsause the show was up for 16 EMMYS and lost them all.

THUS FAR, EPISODES I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE INTERESTED:

KNOWING HER (SEASON 1) An ex of ADDISON'S hires the team, her husband ends up dead and the episode ends with a FUNERAL PROCESSION CHASE SCENE that is A DELIGHT.

CAMILLE (SEASON 2 FINALE_ AKA the one with WHOOPI GOLDBERG- who surprised me by how legit good she is in this episode. JUDD NELSON is also in it, there is a very surprising twist about his character in the penultimate scene that is eclipsed by THE WILDEST ENDING OF THE SERIES and in my opinion, one of the best.  surprised by how low this was rated on imdb.

READ THE MIND, SEE THE MOVIE- A season 1 episode with LENORE KASDORF (of SANTA BARBARA and ANOTHER WORLD) with a LOT of GREAT STUNTWORK- including a rooftop-into-the-pool leap.

THE SON ALSO RISES (SEASON 3) I highlight this one because guest actress BRYNN THAYER NAILS HER LONG MONOLOGUE IN THE ENDING. One of the best performances I have seen in anything in a long time, period.

NEXT STOP: MURDER (SEASON 1) A murder mystery party on a train goes "wrong"...one of the delightful times the show ventured into MURDER, SHE WROTE territory and it WORKS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THUS FAR, EPISODES I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE INTERESTED:

READ THE MIND, SEE THE MOVIE- A season 1 episode with LENORE KASDORF (of SANTA BARBARA and ANOTHER WORLD) with a LOT of GREAT STUNTWORK- including a rooftop-into-the-pool leap.

THE SON ALSO RISES (SEASON 3) I highlight this one because guest actress BRYNN THAYER NAILS HER LONG MONOLOGUE IN THE ENDING. One of the best performances I have seen in anything in a long time, period.

For all you soap opera fans out there: Lenore Kasdorf began her career as Rita Stapleton on Guiding Light, where she became perhaps the top female star on the show at that time. Her move away from GL didn't lead to a bigger career, but I'm glad to hear about this episode of Moonlighting. She was talented and attractive.

Brynn Thayer got her start on One Life to Live where she replaced Katherine Glass as Jenny, the nun who fell in love with the handsome no-goodnik played by Jameson Parker. OLTL's recasting of the roles with Brynn Thayer and Steve Fletcher was way more successful that such recasting usually is. Thayer was recently in a few episodes of Suits as the mother of Harvey (Gabriel Macht).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingrat said:

For all you soap opera fans out there: Lenore Kasdorf began her career as Rita Stapleton on Guiding Light, where she became perhaps the top female star on the show at that time. Her move away from GL didn't lead to a bigger career, but I'm glad to hear about this episode of Moonlighting. She was talented and attractive.

Brynn Thayer got her start on One Life to Live where she replaced Katherine Glass as Jenny, the nun who fell in love with the handsome no-goodnik played by Jameson Parker. OLTL's recasting of the roles with Brynn Thayer and Steve Fletcher was way more successful that such recasting usually is. Thayer was recently in a few episodes of Suits as the mother of Harvey (Gabriel Macht).

I loved LENORE as CAROLINE on SANTA BARBARA, she did a southern accent really well. They paired her with NICHOLAS COSTER and they had great chemistry, but they gave her character a fatal disease after about a year.

BRYNN THAYER=- who i did not recognize at all (i was an NBC soap fan) - plays a woman who DAVID had a one night stand with who is now marrying his father. it's one of the episodes where WILLIS crosses into irritating territory, and his character is a bit of a pig, but she has this KILLER MONOLOGUE at the end of the episode (it includes a surprise twist, so i won't elaborate.) she was CAPTIVATING!

• Like 1

Three more movies seen.

My Blue Heaven, a Fox musical, from 1950 is kind of a more upbeat musical version of Penny Serenade. Its not as tragic, has much more comedy, and is definitely more tuneful. Betty Grable and Dan Dailey continue a winning screen partnership well, and the film itself is charming.

The other two films both followed the racing circuit, and shall it be said much more successfully than 1990's Days of Thunder which I saw this week as well....

Grand Prix from 1966 is the classic era example, a smooth, cautionary tale set against the background of many European Formula 1 races. Characterization is quite sketchy (Frankenheimer's later film The gypsy moths was more fleshed out in this regard), but the charm of the cast helps put over the non-racing scenes (especially high marks must go to Eva Marie Saint, Brian Bedford, and Jessica Walter), and the racing scenes are strikingly good, especially the first one at Monte Carlo. The film makes vivid use of split screen effects too.

The new example is Ford v Ferrari, a big hit last year, and deservingly so. Although it has a sting in its tail, much like Grand Prix had, the film is as cool, tart, and refreshing as blackberry jam. Matt Damon is top billed, but this is really Christian Bale's film. His flashy performance complete with his natural accent, has the same cocky charm as a youthful Sean Connery, and he electrifies the film. It's long (152 minutes) and I really don't think people really swore quite this much in the early 60s, but this is very, very appealing, smart, well-paced, technically gleaming. This is grand old fashioned entertainment and the best film made to date on the topic of auto racing. A knockout.

• Thanks 2

I've been watching a lot of TV mini-series from the 1990's for the past several days.

First up was World War II: When Lions Roared (1994), with John Lithgow as FDR, Bob Hoskins as Winston Churchill, and Michael Caine as Joseph Stalin. This was fairly dry, and largely comprised of dialogue lifted verbatim from the official correspondence between the three. Caine made for a more effective Stalin than I expected. 6/10

001cc7d1_medium.jpeg

Texas (1994) was based on the James Michener book, and told the story of the founding of Texas. The cast included Patrick Duffy as Stephen Austin, Stacy Keach as Sam Houston, David Keith as Jim Bowie, and John Schneider as Davy Crockett. Also with Benjamin Bratt, Maria Conchita Alonso, Anthony Michael Hall, Rick Schroeder, Randy Travis, and with narration by Charlton Heston. I thought it was lacking, with bad music, poor editing, and ineffective battle scenes. 5/10

946-product+copie.jpg

Moses (1995) - One of the many religious foreign co-productions released to TNT in the US.  Ben Kinglsey stars as Moses, who leads his people out of bondage in Egypt under the cruel hand of the Pharaoh (Frank Langella). Also with David Suchet as Aaron, and Christopher Lee as the old pharaoh. This was pretty awful, with overdone acting and poor dialogue. Kingsley definitely plays a different kind of Moses from Heston's. Langella is surprisingly dull, and I was disappointed that Lee never showed up in full mummy regalia. 5/10

e7b2bcd220c136dcecb8c1b0902447b2.jpg

Samson and Delilah (1996) - Another of those TNT religious epics, with Eric Thal as Samson and Elizabeth Hurley as Delilah. Also featuring Diana Rigg as Samson's mama, Michael Gambon as the king of the Philistines, and Dennis Hopper (!!!) as a Philistine general. Almost as dopey as Moses, but a bit more entertaining due to some over-the-top sex and violence.

samsonanddelilah-300x200.jpg

Rough Riders (1997) - TNT production from writer-director John Milius. Tom Berenger stars as Teddy Roosevelt who leads a ragtag group of NY blue bloods and wild west gunslingers into battle in Cuba in 1898. The large cast includes Sam Elliott, Chris Noth, Gary Busey, Brad Johnson, William Katt, Titus Welliver, George Hamilton, R. Lee Ermey, Geoffrey Lewis, and Illeana Douglas. This also marked the final work of Brian Keith (playing William McKinley), who died before it was released, and to whom the mini-series is dedicated. I found it a bit overlong, and old-fashioned (it could have easily been filmed in the 40's or 50's with very few script changes), but entertaining. 7/10

ba8ffa09-201c-4ce3-b0ea-a94d92217ed1.jpg

True Women (1997) - Western epic that tracks the lives of three women, played by Dana Delany, Annabeth Gish, and Angelina Jolie, and their trials & tribulations in the early years of Texas, from the fight for independence, through the US Civil War. Also featuring Powers Boothe, Julie Carmen, Charles S. Dutton, Salli Richardson, Tony Todd, John Schneider, and Michael York. A pre-stardom Jolie is the highlight, with the filmmakers getting as close as possible to showing her nude multiple times, despite this originally airing on CBS. 6/10

e571af5171bbab84062aa211f5cfd2b3.jpg

Moby Dick (1998) - Another adaptation of the Melville novel, with Henry Thomas as Ishmael and Patrick Stewart as Ahab. I watched it for the final film appearance of Gregory Peck, who makes a fiery cameo as Father Mapple. 6/10

19160775_403.jpg

Jesus (1999) - Jeremy Sisto stars as Jesus in this nearly-3-hour TV movie telling of his life. With Jacqueline Bisset as Mother Mary, Debra Messing  as Mary Magdalene, and Gary Oldman as Pontius Pilate. The tone is an uneven blend of political and magic realism, with Sisto as a sincere yet listless messiah. I watched it for Oldman, who attempts to add something to his minor role. Jeroen Krabbe shows up a few times as a modern-blazer-sporting Satan. 6/10

268002_065.jpg

40d219e64c0fedc0e70666ea8764156f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Fighting 69th (1940)

This is a Cagney film that I had been wanting to watch for a while now. Did you know that it was literally against the law for Cagney to make a movie without Frank McHugh in it? Crazy, right? Cagney was allowed to play a Cagney character, but I thought it was more nuanced than his gangster characters. I really liked Pat O'Brien and I didn't realize the officer was George Brent until the credits. I need to see more of his films. I missed my chance when every other Bette Davis film they aired not too long ago had Brent in it.  

26 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

The Fighting 69th (1940)

This is a Cagney film that I had been wanting to watch for a while now. Did you know that it was literally against the law for Cagney to make a movie without Frank McHugh in it? Crazy, right? Cagney was allowed to play a Cagney character, but I thought it was more nuanced than his gangster characters. I really liked Pat O'Brien and I didn't realize the officer was George Brent until the credits. I need to see more of his films. I missed my chance when every other Bette Davis film they aired not too long ago had Brent in it.  

What was crazy is that Frank McHugh had a larger weekly salary during the 30s and early 40s than any actress under contract with Warners' expect Bette Davis and Kay Francis.      E.g.  McHugh earned more than Olivia DeHavilland even after her success in Flynn films and Gone With The Wind.

15 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What was crazy is that Frank McHugh had a larger weekly salary during the 30s and early 40s than any actress under contract with Warners' expect Bette Davis and Kay Francis.      E.g.  McHugh earned more than Olivia DeHavilland even after her success in Flynn films and Gone With The Wind.

I never would have guessed that. Have you ever seen Three Men on a Horse with McHugh in the starring role? That's the film that really made me appreciate him as an actor and a really underrated comedy from 1936. 

• Like 1

Lawrence, thanks for your posts about the 1990s mini-series. I don't think I've heard of any of them! My mind is totally blown by one bit of casting you mention: Debra Messing as Mary Magdalene? Maybe the whole mini-series should have been cast with Will and Grace regulars?

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've been watching a lot of TV mini-series from the 1990's for the past several days.

First up was World War II: When Lions Roared (1994), with John Lithgow as FDR, Bob Hoskins as Winston Churchill, and Michael Caine as Joseph Stalin. This was fairly dry, and largely comprised of dialogue lifted verbatim from the official correspondence between the three. Caine made for a more effective Stalin than I expected. 6/10

And John Lithgow memorably broke the traditional barrier of always having to cast Edward Hermann as FDR--Three good performances all around.

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've gotten a lot of response to my MOONLIGHTING post

I don't think you could have this soundtrack on a tv show today without paying a million dollars on song royalties

again, all of these are on youtube- some are missing the introes 

Yeah, thanks for bringing it back to my attention, I'll look for them. Thanks for the heads up on the missing intros-I had forgotten all about the unique ones. I do recall the pop songs Addison would sing, he was so adorable. Shepherd was the annoying one, it's hard to keep your character likable, but she always did. (similar dynamic of Shelly Long & Ted Danson in CHEERS)

My favorite episode, VHS taped off TV is the TAMING OF THE SHREW episode, which I loved. Maybe now that Moonlighting is streaming, I can finally toss it.

When people rave on & on about FRIENDS or BIG BANG THEORY or what I consider one dimensional sit-coms I think back to really creative television shows like MOONLIGHTING and ground breaking writing like MTM Show & Norman Lear's productions.

• Like 1

I just watched....

Play_misty_for_me.jpg

I had read good things about it on this board, my library had it so I gave it a look.

My first impression was: this was made in 1971 and dated the same way GUESS WHOS COMING TO DINNER is dated-the plot just doesn't have the same impact today. But let's go back in time, to a "gentler" era, to enjoy this movie. 

Clint Eastwood stars in this and boy is he gorgeous. I'd say gorgeous on the same level as Warren Beatty since he's playing the same kind of cocksman Beatty often personifies. Eastwood is a radio DJ (remember those?) who gets regular requests from a listener to "play Misty". She finds out where he hangs out, stalks him then goes home with him & they have sex. Whoa, within a decade THAT behaviour is over, thankfully.

To the DJ, it's an easy one nighter, to her it's love. She stalks him, follows him, makes herself a pest. He tries to gently let her down, distance himself to get rid of her. Second big mistake. The best part of these scenes is when the stalker (deftly played by Jessica Walter) yells obscenities to strangers during their public arguments. Nowadays that happens all the time, but it was SHOCKING back then (a woman, yelling the F word?!) and an indication something's mentally wrong with her.

Well, the story escalates until Eastwood finally realizes she's a whacko and the last third is filled with tension as he tries to keep ahead of her escalating  demands & violence. 

I was OK with the violence for the most part because the blood was thick & orange, just like everything else in the 70's, pretty unrealistic. I enjoyed the tension of the last scene, especially the choice of no dialogue/great laid back jazz playing on the radio -surely Eastwood's ironic touch- although the stalker's defeat made me LOL.

Overall, a fun thriller but sadly a somewhat period piece.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

001cc7d1_medium.jpeg

1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. THIS PIC RIGHT HERE IS AS GOOD AS COSTUME AND MAKE-UP GETS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I just watched....

Play_misty_for_me.jpg

Overall, a fun thriller but sadly a somewhat period piece.

Clint specializes in those.

I'm tired of dingleberries  who watch a 40-50 year old or older movie and complain about it being "dated".  Of COURSE it's "dated", it's 50-60 friggin' years OLD!  :angry: If you DON'T like "dated" movies, then WHY THE HELL do you tune in to TCM???

"Play Misty For Me"?   HA!   What tickled me was that when it came out, most I knew who went to see it was so they could find out who Misty WAS!  :D  Like maybe some chick or old "perv" was into role play or something.  ;)  Others voiced surprise that "Misty" referred to the old song,  and further surprised to learn JOHNNY MATHIS didn't write it!  Originally an instrumental composed by ERROLL GARNER, lyrics were added later by Johnny Burke.   Personally, i thought the movie was OK as a suspense thriller, but overrated overall.  For me the highlights were Eastwood's character's playlist as a jazz DJ, and his time at the Monterey Jazz Festival.  

LAWRENCE :   Nice list of mini-series.  Too bad I only caught a few of them.  The ones I missed look interesting.  Gonna have to find a way to see them.  Thanks.

Sepiatone

Joan of Arc (1999) - Canadian miniseries retelling of the French historical legend and tragedy. The large unusual cast includes 16-year-old Leelee Sobieski as Joan, Neil Patrick Harris as the Dauphin, Peter O'Toole as lead antagonistic cleric, Olympia Dukakis, Robert Loggia, Powers Boothe, Jacqueline Bisset, Peter Strauss, Maury Chaykin, Maximilian Schell, and Shirley MacLaine. The production values are strong, but the cast is distracting in a French-set period piece. I was pleased to see O'Toole's role was much bigger than I expected. 6/10

5663-2.jpg

PeterOToole-1999-JoanofArc.jpg

999JOA_Shirley_MacLaine_005.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smashing Time (1967) Source: DVD

MV5BNDlkOTJhNDktOWZiOS00N2I5LWE4ZDEtZjgxN2JlNTQzOGRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_.jpg

This is such a surreal, crazy film! It's a mixture of the some of the most shocking late 60s sets on film (enough to leave your teeth on edge), homages to silent comedy (Laurel and Hardy especially), slapstick, satire, in-jokes, social critique, music, camp, and, yes, early feminism. Its really hard to try to compare this film to much else, but it has some similarities to the famous Czech film Daisies, and part of the ending, while slapstick and without bloody deaths, has some similarities to the freakish endings of Phantom of the Paradise and Carrie made in the next decade. Rita Tushingham and Lynn Redgrave make a fine comedy team, with Redgrave as the amiably flighty ditz brimming over with enthusiasm and Tushingham as the sensible if occasionally bumbling friend (who at one point successfully saves her friend from the threat of drunken date rape Home Alone style).. And yet under all the manic comedy including slapstick and pie fights and spray paint battles, its a surprisingly perceptive film, looking critically at the ways of the social class system, the way women are treated by caddish men, and the way pop culture first uses and then abuses young talent. The joyful point about this film is that, although they may not seem like it at times, these two friends are troopers and survivors, and the end shows them ultimately victorious. That's like having your cake and eating it too. Well worth a look.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Joan of Arc (1999) - Canadian miniseries retelling of the French historical legend and tragedy. The large unusual cast includes 16-year-old Leelee Sobieski as Joan, Neil Patrick Harris as the Dauphin, Peter O'Toole as lead antagonistic cleric, Olympia Dukakis, Robert Loggia, Powers Boothe, Jacqueline Bisset, Peter Strauss, Maury Chaykin, Maximilian Schell, and Shirley MacLaine. The production values are strong, but the cast is distracting in a French-set period piece. I was pleased to see O'Toole's role was much bigger than I expected. 6/10

5663-2.jpg

PeterOToole-1999-JoanofArc.jpg

999JOA_Shirley_MacLaine_005.jpg

I remember seeing that when it first aired. I can't remember too much, but remember being impressed by Bisset's performance as Joan's mother.  it was up for a lot of Emmys (Miniseries, Sobieski, Bisset, Dukakis, Directing), but only ended up with one : Peter O'Toole. He might have never won an Oscar in competition, but the Emmys made sure he didn't go home empty handed.

On 3/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, CinemaInternational said:

The new example is Ford v Ferrari, a big hit last year, and deservingly so. Although it has a sting in its tail, much like Grand Prix had, the film is as cool, tart, and refreshing as blackberry jam.

Noah's Ark (1999) - Robert Halmi tries to make one of those TNT-style religious miniseries only to unleash an abomination upon the earth. Jon Voight stars as Noah, who as we know is instructed by God to build an ark to save his family and all of the animals of the world when God floods the planet. Also featuring Mary Steenburgen as Noah's wife, F. Murray Abraham as Lot, Carol Kane as Lot's wife, and James Coburn as a traveling peddler. As that cast list may have indicated, the producers play fast and loose with the biblical tale, awkwardly shoehorning the story of Lot into the Noah narrative. The tone is heavily comedic at times, so much so that one wonders if this was meant as a complete parody. The acting is terrible, even by the seasoned pros, but no one could save the awful dialogue. By the time the story gets to the bad CGI animals effects, and an eye-patch wearing Lot shows up leading a fleet of pirates who attempt to take the ark (!!!), this interminable mess has become an almost hallucinatory example of bad storytelling. 2/10

noahsark1999-300x243.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Noah's Ark (1999) - Robert Halmi tries to make one of those TNT-style religious miniseries only to unleash an abomination upon the earth.

Er, no, Halmi was trying to make one of those classic [what "Hallmark Channel" meant in the late-90's/early-00's before Christmas romcoms] miniseries that used to show on TNT, like "The Odyssey", the Ted Danson "Gulliver's Travels" and the Patrick Stewart "Moby Dick".  (They're everywhere on streaming now, like kudzu, since TV-movies go PD more quickly.)

BUT, when he starts trying to do non-book stories, or make up original fantasy, like "Merlin", "Voyage of the Unicorn", "Magical Legend of the Leprechauns" or "The 10th Kingdom", and is left to his own screenwriting devices,  then a seal of unwatchably coy, precious and overdone abominations are unleashed upon the earth.   😱   

The need to make up a subplot-line and original dialogue for Noah would certainly be in the latter category.

Jason and the Argonauts (2000) - One of those aforementioned Robert Halmi-produced fantasy miniseries, with Jason London as the prince Jason, who, along with a motley assortment of heroes, goes on a quest for the fabled golden fleece. With Dennis Hopper as Evil King #1, Frank Langella as Evil King #2, Derek Jacobi as a blind hermit, Jolene Blalock, Natasha Henstridge, Adrian Lester, Olivia Williams as Hera, Angus MacFadyen as Zeus, Ciaran Hinds, James Callis, and Brian Thompson as Hercules. This telling plays things pretty straight rather than the goofy camp of the previous Noah's Ark. It's fairly well executed for a TV show of the time, but won't make anyone forget the 1963 big screen version. 6/10

argonauts+39.jpg

argonauts+04.jpg

argonauts+28.jpg

The Honeymoon Machine (1961)

A McQueen film before he became a star a few years later. His acting is not as bad as he seemed to think it was at this time, but you can tell that he's still not quite where he'd be during The Great Escape. The plot is outrageous, but it's funny, well-acted, and easy to watch. I liked Brigid Bazlen, but it appears that she only acted in a handful of films before moving on. 

Sorry to move on from these classic period pieces. but we just watched Season 1 Episode 1 of TWIN PEAKS on Netflix from 1990. I don't know how I missed it's two season run on ABC thirty years ago. It reminded me a lot of the movie FARGO with all the oddball characters. I did some research and see that Showtime revived the series in 2017. Obviously, they must have changed the characters  after twenty seven years. Also, I'm not sure Netflix has the 2017 season three. If any of you can share some info without spoilers please do so. We plan to keep watching  to see where this goes.