Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Naked Street, with Anthony Quinn, Farley Granger, and a very young Anne Bancroft. I really love film noir. This one was pretty good. Even though Anthony Quinn is the supposed villain, I liked him a lot more than Farley Granger. He was a real jerk. I would have liked to see him get the chair. Good movie. 

celPe71vAvCcFFDDPfpZnx73syy.jpg

• Like 2

Late last night I watched LAST SUMMER (1969).  LAST SUMMER is not a 'feel good' movie and not recommended for viewing on 'Date Night'.  Evil plants its seed and creeps . . .  

Watched on a 40+ year-old VHS tape from the ALLIED ARTISTS VIDEO CORP.  Looks to have been the original [X]-rated version.  I didn't notice any sudden cuts or music 'jumps' during the 1 scene the edits were made to.  (ALLIED went bankrupt in September 1979 and were only releasing movies on VHS and ßeta for some 15-18 months.  I'm just glad the primitive 'copy guard' didn't rear its ugly head!).     

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

the pleasures of  Teenagers From Outer Space don't reside in its narrative arc.  What's enjoyable about it is the wonderful bad acting  (especially those playing the aliens),  and the hilarious effects, 

Nothing's funnier than the ray gun pointed at a dog which jump cut to a skeleton that immediately drops to a pile of bones. I think Mystery Science Theater used that clip in their intro for a season or two.

And the monster is even funnier if it's actually a teeny crawfish as I imagined. I lol at "Deterk" too (a hipster?) who looked like a skeleton himself, a thin Harry Connick Jr. And the girl is wearing a fashionable pointy brassiere throughout the movie.

Like your list of horror Lawrence, and agree that HAXAN is an undiscovered gem. The nun segment is my particular favorite.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Late last night I watched LAST SUMMER (1969).  LAST SUMMER is not a 'feel good' movie and not recommended for viewing on 'Date Night'.  Evil plants its seed and creeps . . .  

Watched on a 40+ year-old VHS tape from the ALLIED ARTISTS VIDEO CORP.  Looks to have been the original [X]-rated version.  I didn't notice any sudden cuts or music 'jumps' during the 1 scene the edits were made to.  (ALLIED went bankrupt in September 1979 and were only releasing movies on VHS and ßeta for some 15-18 months.  I'm just glad the primitive 'copy guard' didn't rear its ugly head!).     

It's streaming online BTW

16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Faust  (1926) Dir: F.W. Murnau - . Jannings' hammy performance may turn off some viewers, but I think he's hilarious and entertaining.   (8/10)

The Unknown  (1927) Dir: Tod Browning - The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the aforementioned Phantom of the Opera are usually ranked as Lon Chaney's greatest films, and that's understandable, given their sumptuous production design and literary roots. However, I've always favored The Unknown among Chaney's films, due to it's singular lunacy.

1. I'm not a poetic person, but the words "JANNINGS'" and "HAMMY"  seem like they'd make a great limerick. The fact that EMIL JANNINGS later became a NAZI actually ADDS to his performance and its overall impact.

2. I'll put a word in for THE UNHOLY THREE (1930) , CHANEY'S final film and his only talkie (I think.) It is one entertaining GD film, frankly I'd LOVE to see how it played in THEATERS. Also, no fan of FREAKS (1932) should miss it since you see the foundations being lain. Laid?

• Like 2

i'm writing sort of just to keep my "instrument sharp", so I hope you'll forgive me reviewing two films I would not normally have,

I rented RIFFTRAX presents ATTACK OF THE SUPER MONSTERS (1982)

tumblr_oikfebCuKk1s01qkyo1_400.gifv

AND

RIFFTRAX presents ROBO VAMPIRE

ROBO+VAMPIRE+%252818%2529.JPG

BOTH WERE EXTREMELY RARE BACK-TO-BACK OCCURENCES FOR ME:  and by that, I mean that both films without the humorous commentary were engrossing FOR THEIR ENTIRE RUNTIMES in their absolute off-the-wall JAPANESE (although I think ROBO VAMPIRE was made in THAILAND) HIGHLY FERMENTED AND PICKLED INSANITY. i would have watched either all the way through without the humorous commentary.

The first- ATTACK OF THE SUPER MONSTERS- combined animated footage with live-action models of VERY ENTHUSIASTICALLy DUBBED AND ACTED DINOSAUR PUPPETS/GUYS IN SUITS ("DUFF MAN in DINOSAUR FORM"- per one accurate riff.) The animation they used and re-dubbed WHATS UP TIGER LILY? STYLE- only WITH NO HUMOROUS INTENT- was not meant for children and some seriously graphic **** goes down. DOGS DEVOUR THEIR OWNERS, A SCHOOL IS CRUSHED, GIANT BAT PUPPETS ATTACK. It's really something. I'm pretty sure it was definitely on SATURDAY MORNING in 1982 and some kids in scattered markets lost their minds and burned down the house and they agreed to NEVER SHOW IT AGAIN.

The second (ROBO VAMPIRE) does- at times- feature robots and vampires, but as Mike accurately points out "I like how this movie becomes a completely different movie every two minutes" and it keeps that up for an hour and change. there are a lot of unexplained REALLY HOT Anglo actors in this, BUT EVERYONE IS DUBBED REGARDLESS and the VOICE ACTING IS REALLY REALLY REALLY SOMETHING UNIQUE. it also MOVES to the point where you can't get too mad at it. There are some impressive fight scenes.

• Like 2

Dracula (1931) Dir: Tod Browning - I think I've seen this more than any other movie released in the 1930's. Bela is still mesmerizing (literally!). I love that vocal intonation when he tries to hypnotize Van Helsing ("Come......her"). And I always get a kick out of the "weird" critters roaming around Dracula's crypt. After hearing about the much-hated Philip Glass score, I decided to finally watch a bit of the movie with it on, after first watching it with the original sound. As an early sound film, Dracula was sparing in its musical accompaniment, so that may be one reason why the Glass score seems so intrusive and overly busy. I don't think I need to see it again with that new score.   (8/10)

Source: Universal Blu-ray, part of the Dracula Complete Legacy Collection

Bela-Lugosi-playing-Dracula-film-portray 

• Like 7
46 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

As an early sound film, Dracula was sparing in its musical accompaniment, so that may be one reason why the Glass score seems so intrusive and overly busy. I don't think I need to see it again with that new score.   (8/10)

I agree. I will always prefer hearing "Swan Lake" at the beginning, I am not a ballet fan so I always think of Dracula if I ever hear it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PHILLIP GLASS'S "SCORE" FOR DRACULA EATS IT RAW.

They could have used DANSE MACABRE and SWAN LAKE to better effect.

EDIT- they could also have used SOUTH AMERICAN WAY to better effect for that matter.

check out THE ROAD TO DRACULA documentary that comes on the DVD, it's charming.

EDIT EDIT- "charming" might not be the right word, but it charmed me.

• Haha 1

Frankenstein  (1931) Dir: James Whale - Not much new to add to the previous discussions of this one. It remains one of my favorite movies of the 1930's. The thing that puts it over the top, though, that makes it a true "10 out of 10" rated movie, is the moment when Fritz the hunchbacked assistant (Dwight Frye), agitated by visitors pounding at the castle door right in the middle of Doc Frankenstein's big experiment, takes the time to stop and pull up one of his sagging socks.   (10/10)

Source: Universal Blu-ray, part of the Frankenstein Complete Legacy Collection

9af961cb50a7c7d0a2dd3d66fc082743.jpg

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

I just watched "A Stolen Life" with Bette Davis.  I loved it!! I highly recommend it!  I won't go into details. Just relax, watch and enjoy!

Double Bette;  what's not to love.

A Stolen Life (1946 film) - Wikipedia

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde  (1931) Dir: Rouben Mamoulian - Visually dazzling adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's oft-filmed tale. Fredric March justly won a Best Actor Oscar for his dual role as the crusading doctor and his brutish alter ego. The in-camera transformations are still amazing looking. Miriam Hopkins is terrific as the low-class lady who draws the attention of both Jekyll and Hyde. The film's pre-code status is illustrated by Hopkins showing off her legs and taking off her garter belts in front of the stupefied March. Director Rouben Mamoulian loads the film with many cinematography tricks, including point-of-view perspectives, and a roaming camera quite in contrast to the usual stationary shots indicative of the early sound era. The film's only real weakness is the proper society girl that Jekyll is set to marry, played by Rose Hobart, who is barely sketched as a character.    (8/10)

Source: Warner Archive DVD

dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-900x600-640x427@2x

• Like 6

Some of the better movies which I have watched within the last two weeks:

Murder at Midnight (1931) 8/10

The Riverside Murder (1935) 8/10

Calling Paul Temple (1948) 8/10

The Last Appointment (1954) 7/10

The Shadow Returns (1946) 8/10

International Crime (1938) 6/10

The Living Ghost (1942) 8/10

The Scarlet Clue (1945) 7/10

Charlie Chan in the Secret Service (1944) 6/10

Charlie Chan's Secret (1936) 7/10

Dark Alibi (1946) 6/10

The Golden Eye (1948) 6/10

The Chinese Ring (1947) 7/10

The Trap (1946) 7/10

Mr. Wong, Detective (1938) 7/10

Mystery Of Mr. Wong (1939) 7/10

Mr. Wong In Chinatown (1939) 6/10

The Fatal Hour (1940) 7/10

Doomed To Die (1940) 6/10

The Suspicions Of Mr. Whicher: The Murder At Road Hill House (2011) 7/10

The Suspicions Of Mr. Whicher: The Murder on Angel Lane (2013) 6/10

The Suspicions Of Mr. Whicher: Beyond The Pale (2014) 6/10

The Suspicions Of Mr. Whicher: The Ties That Bind (2014) 6/10

All were watched through Amazon Prime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I rewatched the Czech classic Good Soldier Svejk (1957) - 8/10

svejk.jpg

Rudolf Hrusinsky is hilarious in this film as the dimwitted but very light-hearted Svejk who is taken advantage of by people all around, but who always finds a way to bounce back. 

• Like 1

Doctor X (1932) Dir: Michael Curtiz - When a series of grisly murders occur, police take interest in an academy where a handful of weird scientists live and work. Head scientist Lionel Atwill sets out to discover the culprit, while reporter Lee Tracy sneaks around looking for a story. With Fay Wray as Atwill's winsome daughter, Preston Foster as another scientist, and Robert Warwick as the police commissioner. There's a terrific laboratory set, a creepy butler, a comic-relief maid, and it's all in 2-strip Technicolor. The elements of the crimes (strangulation, scalpel slicing, cannibalism) are shocking. The resolution is bizarre and memorable. "Synthetic flesh!"  (7/10)

Source: Warner Archive DVD, part of the Hollywood Legends of Horror Collection

doctor-x-film-4fc42fce-16e7-4a6a-a798-1e

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 4/2/2020 at 8:31 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

SPEAKING OF GOLAN GLOBUS CHRISTIE- I have been on the lookout for ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE, which used to show up on HBO all the time and may have been my introduction to HER ROYAL FAYENESS.

faye_dunaway.jpg

81uO-VgeLQL._SY445_.jpg71eR+PdXRGL._SX342_.jpg It was released on DVD and Blu-Ray last year by Kino Lorber, who have been doing a great job in getting some films out of hiding recently.

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Doctor X (1932) Dir: Michael Curtiz - When a series of grisly murders occur, police take interest in an academy where a handful of weird scientists live and work. Head scientist Lionel Atwill sets out to discover the culprit, while reporter Lee Tracy sneaks around looking for a story. With Fay Wray as Atwill's winsome daughter, Preston Foster as another scientist, and Robert Warwick as the police commissioner. There's a terrific laboratory set, a creepy butler, a comic-relief maid, and it's all in 2-strip Technicolor. The elements of the crimes (strangulation, scalpel slicing, cannibalism) are shocking. The resolution is bizarre and memorable. "Synthetic flesh!"  (7/10)

I don't recall seeing this film but it sounds interesting.      I assume TCM has shown it since it is a WB film (but maybe not given it was "lost").    Pre-code directed Curtiz film with Lee Tracy who often was very good at adding humor to his character without crossing the line into camp.       As for that 2-strip Technicolor this from Wiki:  

By the late 1950s, when the film was included in a package of older films syndicated to television, the Technicolor version was thought to be lost. No print could be found, and Technicolor had discarded most of their two-color negatives on December 28, 1948.

After the death of Jack L. Warner on September 9, 1978, a print was discovered in his personal collection. It was copied to safety film for preservation, distribution to revival theaters, and transfer to video. The original nitrate film print was donated to the UCLA Film and Television Archive, which on very rare occasions has allowed it to be screened publicly at properly equipped and licensed facilities.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

doctor-x-film-4fc42fce-16e7-4a6a-a798-1e

I remember going to a Toronto theatre to see Doctor X when it was considered to be a rare film thirty-forty years ago, long before the days of video tape. It was a fun viewing then as it is now, with its two strip Technicolor, grisly effects, old time mystery house thriller ending and an engaging cast, with Lionel Atwill supplying the red heering creeps, Fay Wray the screams and Lee Tracy the laughs. I also recall seeing Elwy Yost, host of TV Ontario's Saturday Night at the Movies, a staple then for all Ontario old movie buffs, sitting two or three rows ahead of us.

"Synthetic flesh" indeed.

• Like 2

Beach Blanket Bingo (1965)

I am not entirely sure why I decided to watch this. I'm not a fan of musicals or these kind of films in general. However, I actually ended up enjoying it and was able to tick off another Buster Keaton film. Don Rickles was the best part of the film for me. 

5 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I am not entirely sure why I decided to watch this.

Yeah, I'm not into this genre of movie at all, but have friends who adore them. I've seen a few & thought meh, but maybe after seeing all the classic noirs, pre-codes, Busby Berkelys & such...I'll come around to liking the genre more.

6 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I am not entirely sure why I decided to watch this. I'm not a fan of musicals or these kind of films in general. However, I actually ended up enjoying it and was able to tick off another Buster Keaton film. Don Rickles was the best part of the film for me. 

BEACH MOVIES and WOMEN IN PRISON are two genres that have their fans, so I tip my cap to there being some something there, but on a personal level- nah.

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

81uO-VgeLQL._SY445_.jpg71eR+PdXRGL._SX342_.jpg It was released on DVD and Blu-Ray last year by Kino Lorber, who have been doing a great job in getting some films out of hiding recently.

in my online searches for a copy of the movie, I came across an interview with either the lighting guy or director of ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE and he talked about how FAYE stalked the set to FIND HER BEST LIGHT and drove the crew nuts. "IN THE END" he says "SHE ENDED UP LOOKING YOUNGER THAN HER STEP-DAUGHTER SARAH MILES."

To wit, I could not help but think, "Match. Game. Faye."

EDITED TO ADD: GREAT TRAILER! THAT WIG ON SARAH MILES IS FROM THE "SHE THINK SHE FOOLIN" COLLECTION....

On 4/5/2020 at 8:26 AM, TikiSoo said:

Nothing's funnier than the ray gun pointed at a dog which jump cut to a skeleton that immediately drops to a pile of bones. I think Mystery Science Theater used that clip in their intro for a season or two.

And the monster is even funnier if it's actually a teeny crawfish as I imagined. I lol at "Deterk" too (a hipster?) who looked like a skeleton himself, a thin Harry Connick Jr. And the girl is wearing a fashionable pointy brassiere throughout the movie.

Like your list of horror Lawrence, and agree that HAXAN is an undiscovered gem. The nun segment is my particular favorite.

Most definitely one of my favorite sci fi films.