Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

WELL, WEIRD VERTICAL LINE ASIDE, I watched TUNES OF GLORY for the second time, and my takeaway was pretty much the same- people want to talk about how catty groups of women and gay men are and how they can't get along- but holy ****, STRAIGHT MEN ARE WORSE THAN EITHER, JUST AS PETTY AND VERY OFTEN SOMEONE ENDS UP DEAD.

th?id=OIP.pdHsfq0qf_S-4nd5_XJWUwHaDl&pid

The acting is exquisite, I see ALEC GUINNESS's performance in this as one of THE GREAT VILLAINOUS TURNS in 20th century film, an intriguin companion to COL NICHOLSON from RIVER KWAI (and to a degree of GULLY JIMSON in THE HORSE'S MOUTH) he at times reminded me of WALTER HUSTON in ALL THAT MONEY CAN BUY/ THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, and he is matched by JOHN MILLS who uses his VERY BLUE EYES to GREAT ADVANTAGE- if listening to GUINESS is a master class in accent and line reads, then watching MILLS is a bonus lesson  on the ART OF SLAYING A SCENE WITH NO DIALOGUE JUST FACIAL EXPRESSIONS.

According to wikipedia, this was not filmed inside the MILITARY CASTLE in SCOTLAND at which it is set, if that is the case, then someone did a DAMN FINE JOB with the sets- even putting little worn grooves in the stone stairs where centuries of traffic have worn them down.

THIS IS VERY VERY VERY SCOTTISH- so at times, it is a bit like a foreign language film.

IT IS SO ODD TO ME that RONALD NEAME- who directed this and a lot of cerebral, erudite BRITISH films- also did THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE- not because he is an odd fit for all the action and stunts (although he is) but because the pre-capsizing scenes are so CLUNKY and stilted and could have had better, more subtle exposition.

this could be re-told, revisioned and redone in a variety of different settings and times- I could even see it reworked as a ghost story (there is a parallel of sorts between this and THE BODY SNATCHER (1945)

• Like 1

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden Poster

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden (1977) HBO On Demand 6/10

In the 1950s, a young girl is treated for mental illness in a institution. 

This was a often disturbing but well acted film, Kathleen Quinlan is excellent in the lead, Ingmar Bergman regular Bibi Andersson is the psychiatrist. There are effective scenes where we experience the voices and hallucinations the lead character does, For me and other classic film buffs an interesting thing was seeing Sylvia Sidney as an elderly patient who had been released but ended up back in again. It is striking to see her in an R rated disturbing film like this. 

My most recent viewings:

The Shadow Strikes (1937) 8/10
One Body Too Many (1944) 8/10
The Ghost Walks (1934) 8/10
The Body Vanished (1939) 7/10
The Gelignite Gang (1956) 7/10
Midnight Limited (1940) 7/10
The Dark Hour (1936) 7/10
The Wayne Murder Case (1932) 7/10
Night of Terror (1933) 7/10
Death from a Distance (1935) 7/10
The Mandarin Mystery (1936) 7/10
Green Eyes (1934) 4/10
Castle Sinister (1948) 2/10

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Castle Sinister (1948) 2/10

What's the story with that one? I like the title.

Here's what I've watched over the past several days:

• The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - 8/10
  • Halloween (1978) - 10/10
  • Friday the 13th (1980) - 6/10
  • Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) - 5/10
  • Halloween II (1981) - 7/10
  • Friday the 13th Part III (1982) - 6/10
  • Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) - 6/10
  • Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) - 7/10
  • The Violent Years (1956) - 3/10
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 8/10
  • Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) - 4/10
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) - 5/10
  • Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) - 6/10
  • Head Count (2018) - 5/10
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986) - 7/10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Can't remember the last time they did this with any movie.  :unsure:

They show every Noir Alley movie on consecutive days.  ;)

• Thanks 1

Detouring America (1939).

Tex Avery cartoon for WB parodying the various travelogue shorts, this one going to various parts of the US:

detouring1.jpg

Some of the sight gags work (the literally rolling hills); others you can see coming a mile away (as when there's a bunch of logs being floated down a river and the reach a cross-river).

OK, but not as good as we'd get once Looney Tunes came around.  5/10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

[Castle Sinister (1948) 2/10]

It is wholly inane. It opens with an army officer seeing a mysterious figure lurking in the ruins. He then walks past and stands at the edge of a cliff with his back to the ruins so that it is a very simple matter for the figure to step out and push him off. The movie then reverts to simple-minded narration ill-disguised as a briefing. The entire movie reminded me of actors doing a first reading of a play where they do not even try to act but simply say the lines so that they gain a sense of what it is all about. I did not keep accurate count but I doubt very much that there were more than four instances in the entire movie where vocal inflections were used. 

The castle itself is quite wonderful and would be a perfect setting for a good mystery movie.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WELL, WEIRD VERTICAL LINE ASIDE, I watched TUNES OF GLORY for the second time, and my takeaway was pretty much the same- people want to talk about how catty groups of women and gay men are and how they can't get along- but holy ****, STRAIGHT MEN ARE WORSE THAN EITHER, JUST AS PETTY AND VERY OFTEN SOMEONE ENDS UP DEAD.

I've often said, "For a people who complain that they can't take 'bullying and persecution' night and day, they sure do enjoy dishing it out when someone brings up the subject of flop movies or 70's-80's movie/TV shows..."  😉

11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

th?id=OIP.pdHsfq0qf_S-4nd5_XJWUwHaDl&pid

The acting is exquisite, I see ALEC GUINNESS's performance in this as one of THE GREAT VILLAINOUS TURNS in 20th century film, an intriguin companion to COL NICHOLSON from RIVER KWAI (and to a degree of GULLY JIMSON in THE HORSE'S MOUTH) he at times reminded me of WALTER HUSTON in ALL THAT MONEY CAN BUY/ THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, and he is matched by JOHN MILLS who uses his VERY BLUE EYES to GREAT ADVANTAGE- if listening to GUINESS is a master class in accent and line reads, then watching MILLS is a bonus lesson  on the ART OF SLAYING A SCENE WITH NO DIALOGUE JUST FACIAL EXPRESSIONS.

According to wikipedia, this was not filmed inside the MILITARY CASTLE in SCOTLAND at which it is set, if that is the case, then someone did a DAMN FINE JOB with the sets- even putting little worn grooves in the stone stairs where centuries of traffic have worn them down.

THIS IS VERY VERY VERY SCOTTISH- so at times, it is a bit like a foreign language film.

IT IS SO ODD TO ME that RONALD NEAME- who directed this and a lot of cerebral, erudite BRITISH films- also did THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE- not because he is an odd fit for all the action and stunts (although he is) but because the pre-capsizing scenes are so CLUNKY and stilted and could have had better, more subtle exposition.

this could be re-told, revisioned and redone in a variety of different settings and times- I could even see it reworked as a ghost story (there is a parallel of sorts between this and THE BODY SNATCHER (1945)T

Lorna, I think it's fascinating to watch Alec Guinness play a macho type so convincingly. He and John Mills are both great. Both Tunes of Glory and The Horse's Mouth could pass for David Lean films, which is reasonable because Ronald Neame worked with Lean on many of the earlier Lean films. The presence of Guinness, Mills, and Kay Walsh (who was one of the six Mrs. Leans) also gives the feel of those pre-epic David Lean films. Neame also did a fine job with Gambit. Some of his other films, not so much.

13 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

So you broke the grisly horror chain with this silly Ed Wood scripted B movie? I suppose anyone could be fooled by the title thinking it was horror. 

My mental image of Lawrence watching this string of horror films:

Illuminati-Movies-A-Clorwork-Orange-150x

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Like your Friday titles....

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

I've often said, "For a people who complain that they can't take 'bullying and persecution' night and day, they sure do enjoy dishing it out when someone brings up the subject of flop movies or 70's-80's movie/TV shows..."  😉

different on many levels, plus I know when to put a governor on it, I mean, I don't think I've ever KILLED ANYONE* with a review.

[*ed note- it was CAROL LYNLEY's TIME.]

9 hours ago, kingrat said:

Lorna, I think it's fascinating to watch Alec Guinness play a macho type so convincingly. He and John Mills are both great. Both Tunes of Glory and The Horse's Mouth could pass for David Lean films, which is reasonable because Ronald Neame worked with Lean on many of the earlier Lean films. The presence of Guinness, Mills, and Kay Walsh (who was one of the six Mrs. Leans) also gives the feel of those pre-epic David Lean films. Neame also did a fine job with Gambit. Some of his other films, not so much.

Thank you for mentioning KAY WALSH, I love her in THE HORSE'S MOUTH. I am pretty sure she died really soon after TUNES OF GLORY...(oddly enough, the young male co-star of THE HORSE'S MOUTH- who was apparently dubbed- died, I think, the same year it came out!)

Please tell me one of the SIX MRS. DAVID LEANS was JANE SEYMOUR, that would be too perfect.

TUNES OF GLORY and THE HORSE'S MOUTH are much shorter films than LEAN would have made though- both of them (and to some degree THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE) have very sudden, abrupt endings. In fact, I have said before "THE HORSE'S MOUTH does not end, it stops."

14 hours ago, Fedya said:

They show every Noir Alley movie on consecutive days.  ;)

Sure.  But the difference here is...

"Noir Alley" is a regular feature on the station, and a second day repeat of the feature would customarily play the same movie as the night before.  AND as the "repeat" isn't around the same time slot as the previous showing, really isn't the actual same thing.  Like, I don't recall TCM say, showing NORTH BY NORTHWEST at 8:00pm one night, and then at 6:00pm the next.  ;)

Sepiatone

Death at Love House Poster

Death At Love House (1976) Youtube 7/10

A TV movie about a writer (Robert Wagner) who is researching for a book on a long dead movie star Lorna Love. He soon becomes obsessed with her memory.

I hadn't seen this in over 40 years but I had never forgotten it. Kate Jackson plays Wagner's wife who finds herself competing with a ghost for her husband's affection. There are many treats for the classic film buff in this one. It is filmed at the Harold Lloyd estate and Sylvia Sidney plays the mysterious housekeeper, I have been on a kick about her later films these days. We get cameo appearances from some other old time stars- Joan Blondell, John Carradine and Dorothy Lamour. Marianna Hill plays Lorna in flashbacks. There is a great twist ending as well. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 8:11 AM, cigarjoe said:

Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (1954)  from me a 9.75/10 but see below...

Touchez Pas au Grisbi Poster

To quote Moorman " Another French masterpiece.  A solid 10 out of 10. Jean Gabin is fantastic.  I really loved this film.  The moral code, the friendship, everything about this film was top notch and on point.  The character studies and just everything, again, I say this was a 10 out of 10."

When I posted the above I watched the 1hr 28min cut version. I didn't know that it was cut until I was browsing images for French Noir and saw some stills that I don't remember seeing. Apparently I watched a cut version.

Just finished watching the 1:36:46 version with the nudity and the pretty graphic scene of dead Marco after the gold exchange for Riton, yea Moorman is right 10/10

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

So you broke the grisly horror chain with this silly Ed Wood scripted B movie? I suppose anyone could be fooled by the title thinking it was horror. 

I've seen The Violent Years before, and I was watching my Blu-ray copy, which I hadn't seen yet.

I know I rated it a 3/10, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. At one point in time I could quote the entire speech given by I. Stanford Jolley as the moralizing judge. "You became a thrill seeker, piling one thrill on another, until...a murder. Kill for the love of killing - kill for a thrill!"

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've seen The Violent Years before, and I was watching my Blu-ray copy, which I hadn't seen yet.

I know I rated it a 3/10, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. At one point in time I could quote the entire speech given by I. Stanford Jolley as the moralizing judge. "You became a thrill seeker, piling one thrill on another, until...a murder. Kill for the love of killing - kill for a thrill!"

The scene where the girl gang kidnaps and sexually assaults a guy is really ahead of its time. 
And I’m not exaggerating, it’s a scene in the movie.

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The scene where the girl gang kidnaps and sexually assaults a guy is really ahead of its time. 
And I’m not exaggerating, it’s a scene in the movie.

It was even in the papers!:o

violent-years-3b-after-the-gang-bang.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It was even in the papers!:o

violent-years-3b-after-the-gang-bang.png

“SCORES OF OTHER MEN RUN TO SPOT WITH HOPES OF SAME!”

(Paraphrasing from memory the joke in the MST VERSION)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Stanford Jolley as the moralizing judge. "You became a thrill seeker, piling one thrill on another, until...a murder. Kill for the love of killing - kill for a thrill!"

That is pure Ed Wood. 

It reminds me of this from Plan 9 From Outer Space, by the Paula Trent character

The saucers are up there

[she looks up to the sky ]

Paula Trent: and the cemetery's out there

[she looks to the right ]

Paula Trent: but I'll be locked up in there.

[she looks left to the house ]

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

That is pure Ed Wood. 

It reminds me of this from Plan 9 From Outer Space, by the Paula Trent character

The saucers are up there

[she looks up to the sky ]

Paula Trent: and the cemetery's out there

[she looks to the right ]

Paula Trent: but I'll be locked up in there.

[she looks left to the house ]

The delivery and GRATING QUALITY of the actress's voice adds so much to that dialogue.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Thank you for mentioning KAY WALSH, I love her in THE HORSE'S MOUTH. I am pretty sure she died really soon after TUNES OF GLORY...(oddly enough, the young male co-star of THE HORSE'S MOUTH- who was apparently dubbed- died, I think, the same year it came out!)

Please tell me one of the SIX MRS. DAVID LEANS was JANE SEYMOUR, that would be too perfect.

TUNES OF GLORY and THE HORSE'S MOUTH are much shorter films than LEAN would have made though- both of them (and to some degree THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE) have very sudden, abrupt endings. In fact, I have said before "THE HORSE'S MOUTH does not end, it stops."

Kay Walsh was fabulous in The Horse's Mouth. I believe she was Mrs. David Lean #2, and he that he dumped her for Ann Todd, whom he fell in love with during the filming of The Passionate Friends. He would probably have loved being married to Jane Seymour, at least for a while! The early Lean films pre-Bridge on the River Kwai were all reasonable lengths. With Kwai he discovered the epic length and got addicted to that, as Coppola, Scorsese, etc. would too.

8 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Kay Walsh was fabulous in The Horse's Mouth. I believe she was Mrs. David Lean #2, and he that he dumped her for Ann Todd, whom he fell in love with during the filming of The Passionate Friends. He would probably have loved being married to Jane Seymour, at least for a while! The early Lean films pre-Bridge on the River Kwai were all reasonable lengths. With Kwai he discovered the epic length and got addicted to that, as Coppola, Scorsese, etc. would too.

Yes,  Kay Walsh was #2 out of 6 wives for David Lean.      Lean married Ann Todd the same year he divorced Walsh.      Walsh was also a talented writer.

Here are the two;

Kay Walsh and David Lean - Dating, Gossip, News, Photos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since my last posting, I've watched:

• A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors  (1987) - 7/10
  • Friday the 13th, Part VII: The New Blood (1988) - 4/10
  • Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers  (1988) - 5/10
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) - 6/10
  • Friday the 13th, Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) - 3/10
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989) - 4/10
  • Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) - 3/10