Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Part VII is one of my favorites. You're also approaching Jason X. lol

I've been watching the "making of" featurettes and documentaries on each disc (some of which are longer than the actual films!), and it was interesting seeing how much of Friday the 13th Part VII was edited out. By that point in the decade, the MPAA was starting to really crack down on what they considered immoral and overly offensive horror films, so they started slapping them with X ratings (NC-17 was still a couple of years away). Nearly every kill in Part VII had some elaborate special effects work, most of which ended up being cut out to avoid the X rating. Of course, by the mid 00's, films like Hostel and the Saw series and their imitators would be much more graphic, and without the winking, tongue-in-cheek quality of many of the franchise slasher flicks.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@LawrenceA:  Speaking of FRIDAY THE 13th (1980), which you listed as having watched lately.  I reckon about 6 or 7 years ago I had an opportunity to buy a 1981 Japanese 'RENTAL' release of Friday the 13th on WARNER HOME VIDEO Japan.  The reason I wanted to buy this release was I knew it was un-cut, unlike the U.S. Paramount VHS which was missing part of the Kevin Bacon kill.  I reckon the MPAA had decided that short 'cut' needed to go or they'd slap FRIDAY THE 13th with an [X]-rating.  No such problem in Japan as Kevin's all wide-eyed on the Japanese release as he gets knifed from under the cot!  BLOOD!  

Being the somewhat-OCD video collector that I am I had notions of finding the earliest VHS releases I could of various horror/suspense movies.  Kind of a challenge, you know?  I found early releases of these that I was looking for:

HALLOWEEN -MEDIA Home Entertainment.  Still has the "COMPASS INTERNATIONAL" logo before the movie starts. 

TOURIST TRAP -MEDIA Home Entertainment. 

THE HILLS HAVE EYES - One copy on 'Harmony Vision' in the mustard-color plastic box + 2 more copies on the Canadian ASTRAL VIDEO label.  

THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE - ASTRAL VIDEO [Astral released a French version of the movie, but I only rounded up the 'regular' English version].

FRIDAY THE 13th, Part III.  I tried to find the 1st release tape from Paramount because the top label used 'III' instead of the number '3'.  OCD working overtime with this one!   

One of my all-time favorite video labels:  ASTRAL VIDEO from Canada.  → I collected titles on this label I never would've picked up on other labels.  Like THE NIGHT THEY ROBBED BIG BERTHA'S.  It's bad.  Very bad.  But I have 2 of them.  Same with THE MYSTERY OF THE MILLION DOLLAR HOCKEY PUCK (1975-Canadian).  I've got two of those, too.  The reason?  Because I ran across 2 of them!  So I snagged them both as they weren't expensive. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've been watching the "making of" featurettes and documentaries on each disc (some of which are longer than the actual films!), and it was interesting seeing how much of Friday the 13th Part VII was edited out.

Hope I'm not repeating myself- but I once met Tom Savini through a friend and was embarrassed that I had never seen any of his his special effects work since I don't like violent movies. Savini suggested I watch FRIDAY the 13th with the sound off-he said that way I'd see the artistry without being "involved" in the story. I did and was most struck by Kevin Bacon receiving an arrow through his chest from under his cot, as earlier described.

I yelled FOUL because anyone pierced through their back would instinctively arch their back in reaction and try getting away. Instead, Bacon just lies there & looks at the arrow in amazement.

Now whenever an otherwise good movie gets too intense, I turn off the sound or fast forward through the violence. I call it the "Savini Manuever"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've been watching the "making of" featurettes and documentaries on each disc (some of which are longer than the actual films!), and it was interesting seeing how much of Friday the 13th Part VII was edited out. 

There's also an amazingly involving fan-retrospective documentary on all seven of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, Never Sleep Again: the Elm Street Legacy (four hours, and you will not notice) floating around streaming, and fairly easy to run across.   Yes, they also delve into the, ahem, fan debate over the "illegitimate" Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, which I noticed was absent from your list  😀  Admit it, they didn't find their speed until #3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors  (1987) - 7/10

I always felt that this was the best in the series. Freddy was making more wisecracks, but he was still menacing and scary. I actually cared about the kids in this one. Plus the sexy blonde nurse didn't hurt either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@LawrenceA:  Speaking of FRIDAY THE 13th (1980), which you listed as having watched lately.  I reckon it about 6 or 7 years ago I had an opportunity to buy a 1981 Japanese 'RENTAL' release of Friday the 13th on WARNER HOME VIDEO Japan.  The reason I wanted to buy this release was I knew it was un-cut, unlike the U.S. Paramount VHS which was missing part of the Kevin Bacon kill.  I reckon the MPAA had decided that short 'cut' needed to go or they'd slap FRIDAY THE 13th with an [X]-rating.  No such problem in Japan as Kevin's all wide-eyed on the Japanese release as he gets knifed from under the cot!  BLOOD!  

 

I swear to you, one summer night in the early 1990s, CINEMAX aired the full sex-scene-harpoon-impalement BAY OF BLOOD "homage" scene from FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 that has since been edited in subsequent versions (even on the DVD and cable and streaming versions)  because it was later discovered the actress playing SANDRA was underage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I always felt that this was the best in the series. Freddy was making more wisecracks, but he was still menacing and scary. I actually cared about the kids in this one. Plus the sexy blonde nurse didn't hurt either.

I've seen all the 13ths and all the HALLOWEENS many many maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany times (even the bad ones), BUT I HAVE NEVER EVER LIKED THE NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET MOVIES at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 8:05 PM, Fedya said:

Detouring America (1939).

Tex Avery cartoon for WB parodying the various travelogue shorts, this one going to various parts of the US:

detouring1.jpg

Some of the sight gags work (the literally rolling hills); others you can see coming a mile away (as when there's a bunch of logs being floated down a river and the reach a cross-river).

OK, but not as good as we'd get once Looney Tunes came around.  5/10.

in my opinion although Disney was by far technically the greatest, wb's looney tunes is the funniest, matter of fact I got designer checks of them before and also  the three stooges

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only seen FRIDAY THE 13th, Part 2  one time.  I didn't like Alice Hardy getting killed after all she went through in the first movie.  So I never watched it again and never endeavoured to find an old tape to buy. 

I don't have any of the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET movies in my video stash.  Just never got around to it.  I've got plenty of other horror movies to watch so the 'Elm Street' movies were never a priority to obtain. 

HALLOWEEN III has one plot hole in it that drives me nuts.  Otherwise, I'd like it more.  It's certainly sinister enough. 

And so it goes . . .

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I've only seen FRIDAY THE 13th, Part 2  one time.  I didn't like Alice Hardy getting killed after all she went through in the first movie.  So I never watched it again and never endeavoured to find an old tape to buy. 

I don't have any of the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET movies in my video stash.  Just never got around to it.  I've got plenty of other horror movies to watch so the 'Elm Street' movies were never a priority to obtain. 

HALLOWEEN III has one plot hole in it that drives me nuts.  Otherwise, I'd like it more.  It's certainly sinister enough. 

And so it goes . . .

Well, you can't just post that without going into detail. What's the plot hole? 

As for Alice being killed off in Friday Part 2, the actress didn't want to participate because she was reportedly being stalked by a deranged fan (according to the making of featurettes). However, she also states that she didn't want to get killed off, as she may have wanted to return later in the series. Amy Steel, the "final girl" of part 2, also refused to return for subsequent sequels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've seen all the 13ths and all the HALLOWEENS many many maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany times (even the bad ones), BUT I HAVE NEVER EVER LIKED THE NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET MOVIES at all.

The Nightmare movies are definitely a mixed bag, and I've liked them less this go around than in the past. I tended to enjoy them for the practical special effects work, and they're still interesting for that aspect, but the stories are all a mess (even the first one), the tone for each film is very uneven, and they almost all have bad endings. Watching the making-of stuff, it's a little more understandable why they were a mess, as they were all rushed through production (with release dates set before a script was even started), four or more screenwriters working separately, with their work being mashed together with little regard for story consistency, and bits and pieces created on set during production that they'd try and shoehorn into the story somehow. The films dropped any real pretense at being scary fairly quickly, and they just became bad one-liners from Freddy and goofier effects set-pieces. The last one I watched had 4 different effects groups in the opening credits, so one sees where the priority was. 

That being said, all 4 series get really terrible in the 1990's, which I'm going to start re-watching later today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EricJ said:

There's also an amazingly involving fan-retrospective documentary on all seven of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, Never Sleep Again: the Elm Street Legacy (four hours, and you will not notice) floating around streaming, and fairly easy to run across.   Yes, they also delve into the, ahem, fan debate over the "illegitimate" Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, which I noticed was absent from your list  😀  Admit it, they didn't find their speed until #3.

Nightmare 2  was on my earlier post from Saturday evening. I'm watchin' them all!

There was a Never Sleep Again documentary that was included as a bonus feature on the first Nightmare disc. There's another doc entitled Fear Himself: The Life and Crimes of Freddy Krueger included as a bonus disc in the Blu-ray Nightmare set I have, so I'll be watching it after I finish the seven movies in the set. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The Nightmare movies are definitely a mixed bag, and I've liked them less this go around than in the past. I tended to enjoy them for the practical special effects work, and they're still interesting for that aspect, but the stories are all a mess (even the first one), the tone for each film is very uneven, and they almost all have bad endings. Watching the making-of stuff, it's a little more understandable why they were a mess, as they were all rushed through production (with release dates set before a script was even started), four or more screenwriters working separately, with their work being mashed together with little regard for story consistency, and bits and pieces created on set during production that they'd try and shoehorn into the story somehow. The films dropped any real pretense at being scary fairly quickly, and they just became bad one-liners from Freddy and goofier effects set-pieces. The last one I watched had 4 different effects groups in the opening credits, so one sees where the priority was. 

That being said, all 4 series get really terrible in the 1990's, which I'm going to start re-watching later today.

ROBERT ENGLUND bears a lot of the blame for me. He's too much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@LawrenceA:  In regards to HALLOWEEN III:  The Season Of The Witch it has to do with the time zones across America mainly and what national networks would be airing the sinister commercial.  I can't explain it well online; I reckon you could say I was not able to effectively suspend my disbelief that kids all across the country would be watching the commercial at the same time on all 3 networks -- or whatever network or two the commercial was supposed to be aired on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@LawrenceA:  In regards to HALLOWEEN III:  The Season Of The Witch it has to do with the time zones across America mainly and what national networks would be airing the sinister commercial.  I can't explain it well online; I reckon you could say I was not able to effectively suspend my disbelief that kids all across the country would be watching the commercial at the same time on all 3 networks -- or whatever network or two the commercial was supposed to be aired on. 

Yeah, I thought of that time zone issue as well. The movie sort of implies that it's being shown at the same time nationwide, but then a montage makes it look like it's around dusk in each city around the country. 

As for the networks, the "hero" (Tom Atkins) gets through to one network, and then realizes that there are two more, so he switches channels, and one of them also stops airing it, but then the third channel seems not to have gotten the message, and they keep airing it, as the hero keeps yelling into the phone - fade out - credits roll.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I always felt that this was the best in the series. Freddy was making more wisecracks, but he was still menacing and scary. I actually cared about the kids in this one. Plus the sexy blonde nurse didn't hurt either.

Also, the teens were smart enough to fight back, which was starting to become a BIG complaint with fans going through Jason-fatigue about dumb bed-hopping teens waiting to turn around the wrong corner and be skewered--And which preceded the first "Hip, smart" Scream movies by twelve years.  The bigger effects budgets and "tongue"-in-cheek wink of the Elm Street movies was one of the other big influences on the Death of the Slasher Movie, in addition to all the parent complaints.

#3 was directed by Chuck Russell, on the basis of his first writing the same lucid-dreaming-wars concept for 1984's Dreamscape, which was a good idea, but...not quite as much in its execution.  Nice first draft, but it needed the right "hook" that Wes Craven brought along, although his first Elm Street lacked a little something extra too.  Like, yes, Zsa Zsa Gabor.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH gets my personal vote for "Most ****ed up movie of all time."

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it's really, really- when you get down to it- a very, very ****ed up movie ON MULTIPLE LEVELS.

if anyone ever invites me to add an entry to a collection of critical film essays entitled This Movie ****ed Me Up For Life, I'm going with HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH**.

**WHICH I PRONOUNCE AS "HALLOWEEN AYE! YIE! YIE!: SEASON OF THE WITCH."

Link to post
Share on other sites

ps- there was also a novelization of HALLOWEEN III that was quite popular and went through a few reprintings. it is, I think, available as an AUDIO BOOK on YOUTUBE (I know the audiobook of the HALLOWEEN II adaptation is.)

eta:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 1:01 PM, LawrenceA said:

in re: the ending of HALLOWEEN III

As for the networks, the "hero" (Tom Atkins) gets through to one network, and then realizes that there are two more, so he switches channels, and one of them also stops airing it, but then the third channel seems not to have gotten the message, and they keep airing it, as the hero keeps yelling into the phone - fade out - credits roll.

IF THEY HAD REMADE HALLOWEEN III in the 1990's, they could've updated the ending to where the three networks refused to air the commercial, but FOX was like "we cashed the check, we're playing it"- thus killing millions of MARRIED, WITH CHILDREN viewers across the nation.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the last update, I've watched:

  • Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III  (1990) - 5/10 (with Viggo Mortensen!)
  • Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare  (1991) - 3/10 (Alice Cooper and Rosanne Barr!)
  • Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday  (1993) - 4/10 (Leslie Jordan!)
  • Wes Craven's New Nightmare  (1994)  - 4/10 (John Saxon as John Saxon!)
  • Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) - 4/10 (introducing Paul Rudd!)
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation  (1995) - 3/10 (Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey!)
  • Halloween H20: 20 Years Later  (1998)  - 4/10 (Michelle Williams, Josh Hartnett and Joseph Gordon-Levitt!)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 The Color Out of Space (2010) 

The Color Out of Space

A boy, looking for his missing father, travels to Germany and uncovers a haunting legacy that a meteorite left behind in the area. Based on H.P. Lovecraft's short novel "The Color Out of Space." free to watch on Prime video.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

 The Color Out of Space (2010) 

A boy, looking for his missing father, travels to Germany and uncovers a haunting legacy that a meteorite left behind in the area. Based on H.P. Lovecraft's short novel "The Color Out of Space." free to watch on Prime video.

Was it any good? The story was previously adapted as Die, Monster, Die! (1965) with Boris Karloff (5/10). There's also a recent adaptation (2019) with Nicolas Cage that surprisingly received good reviews, although I haven't seen it yet. I read the story decades ago while on a Lovecraft kick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Know of the original but had yet to even hear of the CAGE version  He does so many flix though too

Ever see his brilliant Oscar winning=-(richly deserved) turn in '95's LEAVING LAS VEGAS?

Actually NICOLAS COPPOLA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...