Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

This is his father ROBARDS SR we’re talking about. 

no, ROBARDS, JR absolutely superb actor & won in l976 for ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN & then for l977's JULIA as DASHIELL HAMMETT, plus of course A THOUSAND CLOWNS, LONG DAYS JOURNEY INTO NIGHt-(maybe his best per.) & ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

On 4/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I love this one as well 8/10. I also think Sellers is one of the best things about it, his scene where he babbles on at the hotel to Mason is one of the funniest things he ever did.

Also the first scene, where Mason holds a gun on him and Sellers goes into a Texas cowboy accent, saying "That's a durlin' little gun ya got there"

they throw the word genius around far too much in cinema, but i think sellers was, especially as CHANCE in BEING There & Dr. STRANGELOVE

sue Lyon strangely just up and died recently?

ever see the remake for tv?  don't care for JEREMY IRONS though

On 4/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I love this one as well 8/10. I also think Sellers is one of the best things about it, his scene where he babbles on at the hotel to Mason is one of the funniest things he ever did.

Also the first scene, where Mason holds a gun on him and Sellers goes into a Texas cowboy accent, saying "That's a durlin' little gun ya got there"

ad libs there by him of course

On 4/18/2020 at 4:15 PM, LawrenceA said:

peter-sellers-strangelove.jpg

Dr. Strangelove  (1964) Dir: Stanley Kubrick - Kubrick, Peter George, and Terry Southern turn George's serious cold-war nuclear thriller Red Alert into black comedy gold. When USAF General Jack D. Rpper (Sterling Hayden) goes mad and orders a full nuclear airstrike on the Soviet Union, various characters react to the situation. including a British RAF exchange officer (Peter Sellers), a bomber pilot (Slim Pickens) and his crew, and the US President (Peter Sellers). With George C. Scott, Keenan Wynn, Peter Bull, Tracy Reed, James Earl Jones, Shane Rimmer, and Peter Sellers as "Dr. Strangelove".

This is one of my all-time favorite comedies, and it never gets old for me, no matter how often I watch it. All of the performances are perfectly pitched, and the humor ranges from the sly and subtle to the outrageous and farcical. George C. Scott gives one of the great intentional overacting performances as the comically gung-ho General Buck Turgidson. Every time I watch this I like Sellers' 3 characterizations even more - this time I was particularly drawn to the stuffy British Captain Lionel Mandrake, struggling to cope with the raving lunacy of Hayden's General Ripper. I also love Peter Bull's turn as the Soviet ambassador, mugging to great effect. The President's one-sided phone calls with Soviet Premier Dimitri are some the funniest scenes I've ever seen.  (10/10)

Source: Criterion Blu-ray. Bonus features include several interviews with film scholars and critics, an archival audio interview with Kubrick, and archival interviews with Sellers and Scott. There are also a few making-of featurettes, and included in the disc packaging is an envelope, made to resemble those seen in the bomber scene, with essays, photos, and even a miniature combination Holy Bible and Russian phrase book.

source.gif

When CARSON asked GEORGE C. his favorite role he said this one and not PATTON

Just now, spence said:

used to have a pal that sounded like SLIM PICKENS

as for me, can't help it it's where I;m from all over NJ, everybody says I sound like a gangster, de Niro or something, split my tees

1 minute ago, spence said:

as for me, can't help it it's where I;m from all over NJ, everybody says I sound like a gangster, de Niro or something, split my tees

the only good line in the Spencer Tracy, Sinatra epic THE DEVIL AT 4 O' CLOCK (l96l) BY THE WAY, Tracy said that of him splitting his tees

barry-lyndon-1.jpg

Barry Lyndon  (1975) Dir: Stanley Kubrick - Period-piece drama set in late 18th century Europe, with Ryan O'Neal as a socially ambitious Irishman who finds himself caught up in war and intrigue. Also with Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee, Hardy Kruger, Steven Berkoff, Philip Stone, Leon Vitali, Andre Morell, Ferdy Mayne, Pat Roach, and Murray Melvin.

This has been my least favorite Kubrick film (beyond his first two amateurish efforts), but I find myself liking it more with each re-watch. I still think casting O'Neal is a fatal flaw, although I've heard dozens of arguments to the contrary. The movie looks gorgeous, regardless of its narrative merits. (8/10)

Source: Criterion Blu-ray, with an entire second disc of extras.

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Barry Lyndon  (1975)  This has been my least favorite Kubrick film (beyond his first two amateurish efforts), but I find myself liking it more with each re-watch. I still think casting O'Neal is a fatal flaw, although I've heard dozens of arguments to the contrary. The movie looks gorgeous, regardless of its narrative merits. (8/10)

Eyes Wide Shut singlehandedly REDEFINED the boundaries of "Least favorite Kubrick"--Lyndon's a slow-cooker, but if you have a good eye for Bitter Kubrick Irony, it doesn't disappoint fans of Clockwork or Strangelove.  Most three-hour movies do better on disk/streaming, where you can take them a little at a time as serial series.

15 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I liked it tho, but would never want to see the movie. Too much violence. 

I thought so too, but it's a worthwhile movie-just close your eyes during the violent parts and remember-it's only play-actors! To ensure I would sit through the whole movie, I saw it on the big screen at the Eastman House in Rochester. Trust me, there is a comedic release in the "payoff" to the character's disgusting violence.

I still haven't seen Kubrick's FULL METAL JACKET for similar reasons. Someday....

i'm so sorry, please ignore this ramble i'm just in a weird place mentally with not much going on right now...(I know, I've got company)

but i am still annoyed over the performance of JASON ROBARDS SR. in ISLE OF THE DEAD and now I can't help but wonder if maybe the director MARK ROBSON somehow SABOTAGED HIM because I remember PATTY DUKE giving an interview on stage and saying ROBSON was "the meanest SOB I ever met in my life" (he did VALLEY OF THE DOLLS) and went on to mention how he deliberATely kept JUDY GARLAND waiting so as to guarantee she would be wasted by filming time and give him a reason to replace her.

BECAUSE i mean, he was in the stage version of LONG DAY'S JOURNEY and anyone who could sire an actor like ROBARDS JR just HAD TO HAVE KNOWN WHAT HE WAS DOING.

And yet, there he is in ISLE OF THE DEAD, reading every single line as if he has JUST BEEN HANDED THE SCRIPT and told to read it aloud with no notes at all on what the scene is about or who he is playing or whether, in fact, he is even going to be paid for his services.

a mystery.

...made all the worse by the fact that ROBARDS's CHARACTER LIVES ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE DAMN PLAGUE ON AN ISLAND MOVIE.

I would have given this movie four stars if KARLOFF had looked up from his SUPERB DEATH SCENE, which he plays in ROBARDS SR'S arms, and replied to the latter's flat, atonal "the end will be soon now" with "is that really the read you want to go with?" in that marvelous KARLOFF voice, then pulled a FULL LILLIAN GISH in BROKEN BLOSSOMS and gone out like a PRO.

I guess by dumb luck I stumbled onto a broadcast of a live performance of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA at ROYAL ALBERT HALL yesterday, I did not realize it was a limited time broadcast for charity for stage actors.

i skipped around some, but watched a lot of it.

like DRACULA, MONSIEUR LE FANTOME has held a strong fascination for me, and- like DRACULA- I still feel as THE definitive version has yet to be made...while the 1926 is a triumph, there will forever be that fact that it is a film about THE OPERA that is silent- and also some what ifs about alternate versions. There's actually an ANIMATED VERSION FROM EMERALD CITY PRODUCTIONS ca. 1987 that- in spite of some SUPER SUCKY ANIMATION- i have a REAL fondness for. the 1943 version is too bright with too much comedy and too much NELSON EDDY, i don't mind the seafoam green mask even if it does bring to mind memories of MYRTLE BEACH, SC. The HAMMER version is dreary. The BURT LANCASTER version for TV is too long, although it has moments. The ROBERT ENGLUND one has some interesting elements but it is 98% atrocious in all other respects...the 2004 film is...something. I saw the musical in London. I read the book by LEROUX, which translated from French has an odd, dream-like quality to it. 

This version did not have the chandelier crash, although it started at the auction and referenced "the disaster". i guess ROYAL ALBERT HALL has a chandelier already or SUPER HIGH INSURANCE PREMIUMS but...it seemed kind of like as if QUEEN was doing BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY and just SKIPPED OVER THE OPERETTA PART and WENT ON LIKE WE IN THE AUDIENCE WOULDN'T TOTALLY NOTICE.

CUT TO: HAG FROM "THE PRINCESS BRIDE" BOOING IN THE AUDIENCE!

The costumes were exquisite, they paid homage to the ballet dancers in the CHANEY version, I thought. The ingenue was attractive and had a voice to match, YES I AM SIDE-EYING YOU, EMMY ROSSUM. There were no nipples on anything, which was nice (SIDE EYE TO YOU, JOEL SCHUMACHER), the sets were great- they had a part set on the ROOF D'L'OPERA that was GREAT, and the orchestra seemed to sidestep a lot of the 80'S LISA FRANK TRAPPER KEEPER SYNTH-POP KEYBOARD SOUNDS that DATE THE ORIGINAL TITLE TRACK so so so soooooooooo deliciously.

• Like 1

Mister Buddwing Poster

Mister Buddwing (1966) TCM on Demand 6/10

An amnesiac (James Garner) wanders around New York City trying to piece his life back together.

I usually find these movies about amnesia to have an interesting beginning but weak ending. This one is pretty good but mostly for the cast and the great on location shooting (one of my favorite scenes is on Broadway where we see an ad for a "new Neil Simon comedy The Odd Couple.) It has good direction by Delbert Mann (Marty, one of my favorite films). Garner has encounters with different people which make the film entertaining. Katherine Ross has an early role as college student, Angela Lansbury is a tough talking but sympathetic married woman, Suzanne Pleshette is aspiring actress and Jean Simmons is nearly unrecognizable at first with blonde hair and a New York accent. There are some flashback scenes which started to lose me but on the whole worth seeing at least once, for anyone who is fan of any member of the cast. 

• Like 3

Before I forget Detective Jim →   If you fancy watching more '60s amnesia there's THE THIRD DAY, MIRAGE and JIGSAW (which is a remake of "Mirage" with more 'mod' elements). 

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Before I forget Detective Jim →   If you fancy watching more '60s amnesia there's THE THIRD DAY, MIRAGE and JIGSAW (which is a remake of "Mirage" with more 'mod' elements). 

I have seen Mirage (1965) , which I think is the best of the amnesia films. I haven't seen the other two.

I like MIRAGE as well.  Has some of that '60s lingo with Kevin McCarthy saying stuff like "But booby baby".  :)

I've seen THE THIRD DAY and it's decent; Arte Johnson, who later gained some fame on "Laugh-In", plays a jealous little piano player who has a key part of the plot. 

JIGSAW (1968) is hard to find; it's a Universal Picture and seems to have disappeared. 

• Like 1

e38a47f5311114d13a8e7a54e2f4272f357544c3

The Shining  (1980) Dir: Stanley Kubrick - A recovering alcoholic (Jack Nicholson) has family problems while working as a caretaker at a secluded, closed-for-the-season mountain resort. With Shelly Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers, Philip Stone, Barry Nelson, Anne Jackson, Tony Burton, and Joe Turkel.

SPOILER WARNING

Kubrick's much-maligned adaptation of Stephen King's book changes a lot of the details, yet in my minority opinion, improves upon the source material (the hedge maze is a vast improvement over the goofy hedge animals). I also have no problems with either Nicholson or Duvall's performances. I also greatly prefer the film's ending, with Nicholson lost in the maze and being "absorbed" into the ghostly tapestry that is the Overlook ( see the photo at the end). Having the hotel survive to continue working its evil, as opposed to the novel where it's destroyed, is also a good touch. The cinematography, the production design, and particularly the sound design and soundtrack, are all among the best ever in a horror film. This is still one of my favorites.  (10/10)

Source: Warner Blu-ray, which includes a making-of documentary made by Kubrick's daughter Vivian. There's also a featurette on composer Wendy Carlos.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

barry-lyndon-1.jpg

Barry Lyndon  (1975) Dir: Stanley Kubrick - Period-piece drama set in late 18th century Europe, with Ryan O'Neal as a socially ambitious Irishman who finds himself caught up in war and intrigue. Also with Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee, Hardy Kruger, Steven Berkoff, Philip Stone, Leon Vitali, Andre Morell, Ferdy Mayne, Pat Roach, and Murray Melvin.

This has been my least favorite Kubrick film (beyond his first two amateurish efforts), but I find myself liking it more with each re-watch. I still think casting O'Neal is a fatal flaw, although I've heard dozens of arguments to the contrary. The movie looks gorgeous, regardless of its narrative merits. (8/10)

Source: Criterion Blu-ray, with an entire second disc of extras.

It's also got one of my favorite British actor/comedians Leonard Rossiter - King Rat,  The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (TV Series) among others.

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

It's also got one of my favorite British actor/comedians Leonard Rossiter - King Rat,  The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (TV Series) among others.

He was the fussy, whiny English officer in the early scenes. He was suitably grating. I liked the pose he struck while marching with his troops.

yoEBxDjh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I thought so too, but it's a worthwhile movie-just close your eyes during the violent parts and remember-it's only play-actors! To ensure I would sit through the whole movie, I saw it on the big screen at the Eastman House in Rochester. Trust me, there is a comedic release in the "payoff" to the character's disgusting violence.

I still haven't seen Kubrick's FULL METAL JACKET for similar reasons. Someday....

Full Metal Jacket has a grim, disturbing, but exceedingly effective first act that comes to a shocking close, but after that, I never felt it was quite as interesting for the remaining 70 minutes. Maybe that's a minority opinion, but its how I felt at the time.

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

He was the fussy, whiny English officer in the early scenes. He was suitably grating. I liked the pose he struck while marching with his troops.

yoEBxDjh.jpg

• Like 1