Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I cant remember how the movie ended it's been so long since I've seen it. I know the stage version had the dark ending.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Jesus God...

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1986) is on movieland right now, I’ve been watching it for the first time in years and really enjoying it.

until I realized that they’re running a version with the *** fully restored*** ***original ending*** which I did not know existed (I thought only the raw B&W  footage existed-  I’ve seen that on YouTube)

it is HEARTBREAKING, just crushing. 

I think they were absolutely right to change the ending, 100%. (And I am usually time darkside!!!)

ELLEN GREENE just breaks your heart though, and she has a killer last scene. 

I love Little Shop of Horrors!! I haven’t watched it  in forever. 

“SUDDENLY SEYMOUR”

”Watching I Love Lucy on a 12-inch screen....”

I didn’t know that there was a different ending. I wonder if it’s on my DVD. 

I’m watching “The Jungle Book” (1967). I probably last watched this movie on VHS.  I’m watching it on Disney+

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Little Shop of Horrors!! I haven’t watched it  in forever. 

“SUDDENLY SEYMOUR”

”Watching I Love Lucy on a 12-inch screen....”

I didn’t know that there was a different ending. I wonder if it’s on my DVD. 

I’m watching “The Jungle Book” (1967). I probably last watched this movie on VHS.  I’m watching it on Disney+

Ah, my sweet summer child, please allow me to ruin your day:

(The quality of both these clips is not perfect, This footage was in black-and-white and kind of grainy as it was part of the work print and never fully processed at the time because they decided to go with the happier ending) They have done a noticeable Ted Turneresque job of colorizing it and The audio is  noticeably not as good as the rest of the film (Except during the “mean Green mother from outer space” number which was fully processed and of course appears in the final film largely as it is)

Other than that the songs are well done and the ending is clearly a tribute to Faust, and it’s not even necessarily a bad ending, I just wasn’t ready for it last night and had no idea that it has been officially worked into all existing prints of LITTLE SHOP as THE OFFICIAL NEW ENDING. 

Ps- the HEARTBREAK begins about 2:50 in...

• Thanks 1

**Although if they had gone with the original ending there is a slim but outside chance that Ellen Greene  could’ve been nominated for an Oscar. She’s genuinely that good in her final scene.

11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Jesus God...

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1986) is on movieland right now, I’ve been watching it for the first time in years and really enjoying it.

until I realized that they’re running a version with the *** fully restored*** ***original ending*** which I did not know existed (I thought only the raw B&W  footage existed-  I’ve seen that on YouTube)

I think they were absolutely right to change the ending, 100%. (And I am usually time darkside!!!)

That's funny because I recently watched this on CInemax On Demand, and it was advertised as "The Director's Cut", but it had the ending that you (and I) love so much. I had seen this many times in the past and I did not see anything different in this version, so I am not sure why they said it was "Director's Cut".

I would like to see the other ending out of curiosity. I had seen a Broadway revival in 2003 which had the dark ending. But live stage is different from film, because at the end the cast come out again and take their bows. 

And back to the movie, I just want to say I love it,  I saw it on first run in 1986 and was happy to see a movie musical with really good music again. Rick Moranis was a perfect choice for the lead, I thought he sang very well also. Ellen Greene was hilarious as the ditzy Audrey and a great voice a. Tichina Arnold, Tisha Campbell and Michelle Weeks (what ever happened to her?) are a delight as the girl group Greek Chorus. Steve Martin has one of his best movie roles as the sadistic dentist. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

That's funny because I recently watched this on CInemax On Demand, and it was advertised as "The Director's Cut", but it had the ending that you (and I) love so much. I had seen this many times in the past and I did not see anything different in this version, so I am not sure why they said it was "Director's Cut".

I would like to see the other ending out of curiosity. I had seen a Broadway revival in 2003 which had the dark ending. But live stage is different from film, because at the end the cast come out again and take their bows. 

And back to the movie, I just want to say I love it,  I saw it on first run in 1986 and was happy to see a movie musical with really good music again. Rick Moranis was a perfect choice for the lead, I thought he sang very well also. Ellen Greene was hilarious as the ditzy Audrey and a great voice a. Tichina Arnold, Tisha Campbell and Michelle Weeks (what ever happened to her?) are a delight as the girl group Greek Chorus. Steve Martin has one of his best movie roles as the sadistic dentist. 

YES TO EVERYTHING YOU SAY!

That is VERY WEIRD about the DIRTECTORS/ORIGINAL CUT, I recommend a trip to the film's WIKIPEDIA PAGE, which goes into detail about the deleted/restored sequence- which AGAIN TO BE FAIR- is EXCELLENT...just soul crushing. And the song DON'T FEED THE PLANTS! is EVERY BIT AS GOOD as all the other songs in the movie, AND it has an actor who is NOT JIM BELUSHI in the role of the greedy exec at the end.

in my reply to SPEEDRACER, I posted a youtube video of the original ending(s)- raw colorized footage vs. what is on the "final" restored ending that is included in what is SUPPOSED TO BE the DIRECTOR'S CUT. click on it to see the endings side by side. 

if that doesn't work or it did not post, It's all on youtube in various forms and the downer ending is worth seeing.

good luck getting DON'T FEED THE PLANTS! out of your head BTW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...and as an un-sponsored aside, I watched LITTLE SHOP on MOVIELAND, which is one of those ADD-ON CHANNELS you get if you have a ROKU (I don't know if you can get it otherwise) and I am STUNNED at how many films they have to offer out of a mid-size selection that I have wanted to see or would recommend....

Off the top of my head they are at present offering (besides LITTLE SHOP😞 FRIGHT NIGHT (87), SCARS OF DRACULA GODFATHER PART II, WITCHFINDER GENERAL, DOG DAY AFTERNOON,  THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956)- no I don't know HOW or WHY either, but they are!- GONE WITH THE WIND, GREMLINS, THE CRAZIES,...and some other stuff I can't even think of right now.

i'm not entirely sure that  i'm not hallucinating its existence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That is VERY WEIRD about the DIRTECTORS/ORIGINAL CUT, I recommend a trip to the film's WIKIPEDIA PAGE, which goes into detail about the deleted/restored sequence- which AGAIN TO BE FAIR- is EXCELLENT...just soul crushing. And the song DON'T FEED THE PLANTS! is EVERY BIT AS GOOD as all the other songs in the movie, AND it has an actor who is NOT JIM BELUSHI in the role of the greedy exec at the end.

in my reply to SPEEDRACER, I posted a youtube video of the original ending(s)- raw colorized footage vs. what is on the "final" restored ending that is included in what is SUPPOSED TO BE the DIRECTOR'S CUT. click on it to see the endings side by side. 

I just watched this and I don't think it would have worked if included in the original film ending. The song "Don't Feed The Plants" worked better on Broadway since it was handled in a much more broadly comic way. The one in the movie is way too somber and mean spirited. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I just watched this and I don't think it would have worked if included in the original film ending. The song "Don't Feed The Plants" worked better on Broadway since it was handled in a much more broadly comic way. The one in the movie is way too somber and mean spirited. 

I KNOW, RIGHT??????

Apparently, audience test scores of the ORIGINAL ENDING were BRUTAL. They loved it...up until that. And for once, I am with JOE PUBLIC.

you STILL have to applaud how well done the sequence is- even if the tone is a TOTAL, INEXPLICABLE 180 from what the rest of the film has been.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, kingrat said:

I think the ideas in Gabriel Over the White House are those of William Randolph Hearst, the driving force behind the movie. Yes, it's wacko. This would be one of my examples of when the director of a film is not the auteur.

REALLY?!

This surprises me.

As I recall it, the film is aggressively liberal- like, a step too far to the left EVEN FOR *ME* and- on a personal note, I'm all for it if you wanna shave your head and hand out daisies at the airport with your life.

as I recall it, it's outright all in for Fascism.

I would not have thought HEARST was at any point in his life that much of a leftist.

at the risk of blowing things up, GABRIEL OVER THE WHITE HOUSE is basically a BERNIE BRO FEVER DREAM nine decades before its time.

Last night I watched TCMs circus theme late afternoon starting with THE MAIN ATTRACTION '62.

MV5BY2M4OWIxZDEtNzdjYi00YTlhLWFjMzYtNTU0

This had to be part of the package TCM had to rent in order to get CASABLANCA. It was horrible to the nth degree. I actually vacuumed/dusted while it was on & only stopped when Boone sang.

I then watched LILLI '53. This movie was 81 minutes of charming scenes & charactors of a small carnival starring Leslie Caron & Mel Ferrer.

The story was sweet & predictable, but it's the way it was told that made it engaging. Leslie Caron was never so irresistible- she was demure, sweet & mesmerizingly beautiful. I loved the costumes & Technicolor.   It was fun seeing glamorous ZsaZsa Gabor too, in a tight sequined dress trying to keep up in a fantasy dance number! 

I also liked the realistic portrayal of opportunists that kept the story from being too fairy tale-ish. That said, it makes an engaging  ESSENTIALS JR  introducing kids to how fun classic movies can be. I especially enjoyed the lovely dance sequence near the end illustrating Lilli's "daydream"- her inner thoughts. Even though I knew how it ended, it still brought a tear to my eye.

Lili_film_poster.jpg Lili+(1953).jpg

Although I find nothing attractive about Mel Ferrer - he reminds me of evil JK Robertson from '94s TIME CHASERS '91

Time+Chasers+4.jpg )

I kept TCM on while talking on the phone & watched THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS '42 without sound. Although the dialogue is great, if you're familiar with the story, it's amazing how well you can follow it with visuals only. In fact, it sort of points out all the amazing camera work. I also had forgotten that Richard Bennett -father of Constance & Joan-was in it. 

I LOL when they look at the newspaper & there's a Jed Leland column from CITIZEN KANE-forgotten all about that!

AMBERSONS001-400.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...and as an un-sponsored aside, I watched LITTLE SHOP on MOVIELAND, which is one of those ADD-ON CHANNELS you get if you have a ROKU (I don't know if you can get it otherwise) and I am STUNNED at how many films they have to offer out of a mid-size selection that I have wanted to see or would recommend....

I recently discovered on Roku: "TV Time Feature Films". It is a no-budget channel which some person put together on a rainy Sunday afternoon but it has an array of movies from some of the biggest classic stars. It has many movies which are not available elsewhere or which must be rented rather than watched for free with commercials. It is a little heavy on commercials as it shows up to six every eight minutes. I suspect it may not be perfectly legitimate as one movie which I watched had the TCM logo in the corner of the screen. 

• Thanks 2

I've been watching an old show called Life With Elizabeth that features Betty White in one of her first appearances on TV.

At first, I did a double take, as I thought the part of her husband was played by Robert Osbourne!

I know he did some minor acting early in his career - and this face, plus voice made me question whether it was him or not:

ME11ZLEN_o.jpg

The part was actually played by Del Moore, so I was mistaken.

(Oh, the writing on the show is pretty awful by the way.)

56 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I recently discovered on Roku: "TV Time Feature Films". It is a no-budget channel which some person put together on a rainy Sunday afternoon but it has an array of movies from some of the biggest classic stars. It has many movies which are not available elsewhere or which must be rented rather than watched for free with commercials. It is a little heavy on commercials as it shows up to six every eight minutes. I suspect it may not be perfectly legitimate as one movie which I watched had the TCM logo in the corner of the screen. 

CUT TO:

INT- SANSFIN'S APARTMENT- PRESENT MOMENT

THREE FBI AGENTS COME CRASHING THROUGH THE WINDOWS!

(i HAVE THE SAME SUSPICIONS RE: MOVIELAND, some of the prints they show are slightly fuzzy (not enough to bug me) and some of what they have seems fed by past viewing and internet searches.

But hey, 'til the SWAT TEAM comes for me, I'll be watching GREMLINS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

CUT TO:

INT- SANSFIN'S APARTMENT- PRESENT MOMENT

THREE FBI AGENTS COME CRASHING THROUGH THE WINDOWS!

(i HAVE THE SAME SUSPICIONS RE: MOVIELAND, some of the prints they show are slightly fuzzy (not enough to bug me) and some of what they have seems fed by past viewing and internet searches.

But hey, 'til the SWAT TEAM comes for me, I'll be watching GREMLINS.

We know one of the agents of the local office.  He believed that I was simply incompetent concerning the maintenance and repair of older cars and so bought my Lancia when I could no longer afford to keep it running. He sank many hundreds of dollars into it before realizing that it was a hopeless cause and recouping what he could by selling its parts. He did not kick in our door then and so I doubt he would come through the window now.

XTV was the absolute best channel on Roku. They had live feeds from many sources and channels which were continuous showings of complete series of vintage television programs. Many said that it was the most popular channel on Roku. It is sad to say that the government of Mexico pressured Roku into removing all channels which pirated feeds or did not have a license to air the movies which they carried. I have been watchful since that time for similar operations and quickly watch what movies I like before the channel disappears.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

If they had gone with this ending in 1986 people would’ve burned the **** theater down.

And I would’ve been front and center splashing lighter fluid on everything, and I was eight years old at the time.

Yes, as you probably saw on Wikipedia, the mood went ice cold in the testing process when the tragic ending came through. The one audience gave it an average score of 13 out of 100. The curious thing about Little Shop is that they have two DVDs of it on the market..... and neither one has been taken off the market as far as I know. I know i had no desire to see the tragic ending.... i got too attached to Ellen Greene.

The film as originally planned with the tragic ending.....

91C7xyCZOKL._SL1500_.jpg

And the way it was shown in 1986 with the happy ending....

51M1Y4YRQTL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I KNOW, RIGHT??????

Apparently, audience test scores of the ORIGINAL ENDING were BRUTAL. They loved it...up until that. And for once, I am with JOE PUBLIC.

you STILL have to applaud how well done the sequence is- even if the tone is a TOTAL, INEXPLICABLE 180 from what the rest of the film has been.

Sounds like the DC is a  Film Noir ending, lol 

Maybe re issue it in Black & White to distinguish the two.

13 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yeah, Frank Oz was obviously hired for his directorial expertise with big puppets, but on his own, he is NO director.  The whole movie seems to be filmed with sort of a quick first-read on-paper appreciation of the original stage version--a sort of isolated scene-by-scene "Okay, how can we make this number wacky?"--and "Don't Feed the Plants" just seems to be dumped on the end of the movie because it happened to be on the end of the musical, so there...But not because Oz particularly figured out anything creative to do with it in the spirit of the final cut of the movie.

Not every director's cut is an unjust "martyr" of the studios, and some managed to be salvaged in the recuts.

• Thanks 1

Were any of the DVD releases of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS the original happier theatrical ending?  (I would assume all the VHS releases were the theatrical version).  

I am distressed to learn that my copy of Little Shop of Horrors sustained flood damage a few years ago.  I had the DVD (the type with the plastic tab that snaps into the case) with the blue cover that Cinema Int'l posted earlier.

Obviously this means only one thing: I need to buy a new copy.

Do you think that this version contains both the original ending and the theatrical one?

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Shop-Horrors-Directors-Theatrical/dp/B074BJJH2H/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=little+shop+of+horror&qid=1588308157&sr=8-2

14 hours ago, SansFin said:

XTV was the absolute best channel on Roku. They had live feeds from many sources and channels which were continuous showings of complete series of vintage television programs.

Two streaming channels Pluto and Tubi  both have legit live feeds of vintage TV shows. They also give you the option of choosing individual episodes in their menu. I'm currently rewatching CYBILL and found fewer commercials over at Tubi.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Were any of the DVD releases of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS the original happier theatrical ending?  (I would assume all the VHS releases were the theatrical version).  

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I am distressed to learn that my copy of Little Shop of Horrors sustained flood damage a few years ago.  I had the DVD (the type with the plastic tab that snaps into the case) with the blue cover that Cinema Int'l posted earlier.

Obviously this means only one thing: I need to buy a new copy.

Do you think that this version contains both the original ending and the theatrical one?

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Shop-Horrors-Directors-Theatrical/dp/B074BJJH2H/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=little+shop+of+horror&qid=1588308157&sr=8-2

CinemaInternational explains it a few posts up.

any dvd worth its salt should have both endings tho.

The "DIRECTORS CUT" is SUPPOSED to be the one with the unhappy ending which is restored- but again, colorized JUST LIKE TED TURNER USED TO DO!- in fact, it reminds me of the colorized version of the SUPER sh!tty ROGER CORMAN 1960 film, which I WOULD NEVER HAVE GUESSED could have inspired something as great and deep as the musical and, IMO, the 1986 movie, because it is AN ASTOUNDINGLY AWFUL FILM.

LEONARD MALTIN gave the 1960 LITTLE SHOP three and a half stars. LEONARD MALTIN huffs KEYBOARD CLEANER. \

ELLEN GREENE breaks your heart the way JUDY HOLLIDAY could. WOULD'VE LIVED AND LOVED TO HAVE SEEN HER IN A REVIVAL OF BELLS ARE RINGING!

HER version of SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN is wonderful in the happy ending version and so deeply, deeply tragic in the unhappy.

also, you just CANNOT ENJOY the MEAN GREEN MOTHER FROM OUTER SPACE NUMBER the same in the unhappy version.

and the line "You know, I don't come from no BLACK LAGOON, I'm from past the stars and BEYOND THE MOON/ So you can keep the THANG keep the IT, Keep THE CREATURE, they don't mean ****" DESERVES APPRECIATION!

SORRY FOR DERAILING EVERYTHING WITH THIS LITTLE SHOP TALK, BUT I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

Many fo you know that MEAN GREEN MOTHER FROM OUTER SPACE was nominated for the OSCAR for best original song.

this is LEVI STUBS performing the number at the 1987 show, BERNADETTE PETERS is performing some of the previous number. the audio is not great BUT STILL, IT'S PRETTY DAMN GOOD:

I was searching through my cable TV options late last night when I discovered that the new Peacock streaming service had gone live. It's the NBC/Universal entry in the ever-expanding streaming market. As a Comcast customer, I get a free "Premium" membership. I'm not sure what premium means in this context, as I still had to watch a couple of commercials before a program started, although there were no interruptions while the program was going.

I mention this here because there are a lot of movies available, including many studio-era Universal titles. There didn't appear to be any of the long-sought-after rare Universal titles, or the early Paramount titles that Universal has control over, but there were still enough classic films available that fans of such may be interested.

• Thanks 2