Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the-silver-cord-movie-poster-1933-102038

I feel guilty.

This premiered last night and I have been curious about it since I saw this poster in a coffee table book collection two decades ago.

As much as I love a PRECODE and IRENE DUNNE and JOEL McCREA- this one just collapsed in the oven and I quit after an hour.

I don't blame any of the actors- especially not LAURA HOPE CREWS (aka AUNT PITTYPAT from GWTW)- who was marvelous in a role that kinda rivals ANGELA LANSBURY IN THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. Sadly, Irene Dunne disappears for a large chunk of the film after establishing that she is a successful clinical researcher with a career and has thus far avoided being burned at the stake for it (as it is 1933.) FRANCES DEE was also very good- if a bit emotive- I don't know if this is where she and JOEL McCREA met- but at least something good came out of this pile of horse hockey.

Honestly, I BLAME JOHN CROMWELL- the director. Over the past few years, I have seen quite a few of his films and have really taken issue with his direction. Realizing of course that his son JAMES seems like a nice guy and that I myself have never directed a movie- I MUST NOTE that I always find myself CLENCHING MY FISTS whenever I watch something directed by JOHN CROMWELL- he was an impersonal, distant director- if an ENTIRE FILM WERE TO BE DONE IN MID-LENGTH SHOTS WITH NO EDITS OR CLOSE-UPS,  aka "just like a stage play", then he was YOUR GUY. 

Even the films he did that aren't bad- like LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM have ISSUES and FAULTY SCENES that BUG ME.

But then again, I'm also impossible to please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This film has one of the worst beginnings- ROCKIN OPENING CREDITS ASIDE- of any movie with an earned cult following- it was blessed providence we missed it all those times over the years. Really, I recommend just skipping things until they get to MONGOL (yeah, they kept the name. it was 1980)

but then the FOOTBALL GAME in the THRONE ROOM starts and it's pretty fun from there.

I remember going to a sneak-screening of Flash, back literally no one knew what to expect from it--

It was being sold at the time on the strength of "Flash Gordon is an epic pop-culture hero, just like Star Wars!", so the audience wasn't quite prepared for Batman-style intentional tongue-in-cheek.  By the time Ming chose the "Hot Hail" button in the opening theme, we had our suspicions, Queen rocked the credits, and then by the football game, all suspicions were confirmed.  😄  Ah, what a ride we had.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

It was being sold at the time on the strength of "Flash Gordon is an epic pop-culture hero, just like Star Wars!", so the audience wasn't quite prepared for Batman-style intentional tongue-in-cheek. 

growing up, whenever parents got together and it was time for the kids to [shut up and] watch a movie in the den, I used to embarass my sister terribly by voting for FLASH GORDON over STAR WARS every time and being VOCAL about how I felt it was the superior of the two space epics.

[Keep in mind, of course, that  I had yet to see TRON.]

ETA:

I have always rather enjoyed the fact that, frankly, it's a little ambiguous as to whether or not Earth is in fact destroyed in the end by MING THE MERCILESS (the countdown hits 00.00, there's no footage of Earth being spared, and the Heroes don't return and, one assumes people probably died in the fiery hailstorms while Flash was playing his little FIND THE STUMP DEMON game with TIMOTHY DALTON and his Merry Men.)

On 5/1/2020 at 4:05 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, the one with the blue cover with the plant holding the cast in its tendrils.

And, yes, it sounds like that Blu-Ray has both versions. The Amazon image of the back confirms it because if you look , it has two different PG-13s and two different run times listed.

916nBN4bFFL._SL1500_.jpg

meanwhile, the film turned up on HBO On Demand today , and both versions are on demand there, both happy and tragic.

THEY NEED TO PUT THE NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE NUMBER ON THE UNHAPPY ENDING.

PS- God, Siskel was a dweeb.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the-silver-cord-movie-poster-1933-102038

I feel guilty.

This premiered last night and I have been curious about it since I saw this poster in a coffee table book collection two decades ago.

As much as I love a PRECODE and IRENE DUNNE and JOEL McCREA- this one just collapsed in the oven and I quit after an hour.

I don't blame any of the actors- especially not LAURA HOPE CREWS (aka AUNT PITTYPAT from GWTW)- who was marvelous in a role that kinda rivals ANGELA LANSBURY IN THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. Sadly, Irene Dunne disappears for a large chunk of the film after establishing that she is a successful clinical researcher with a career and has thus far avoided being burned at the stake for it (as it is 1933.) FRANCES DEE was also very good- if a bit emotive- I don't know if this is where she and JOEL McCREA met- but at least something good came out of this pile of horse hockey.

Honestly, I BLAME JOHN CROMWELL- the director. Over the past few years, I have seen quite a few of his films and have really taken issue with his direction. Realizing of course that his son JAMES seems like a nice guy and that I myself have never directed a movie- I MUST NOTE that I always find myself CLENCHING MY FISTS whenever I watch something directed by JOHN CROMWELL- he was an impersonal, distant director- if an ENTIRE FILM WERE TO BE DONE IN MID-LENGTH SHOTS WITH NO EDITS OR CLOSE-UPS,  aka "just like a stage play", then he was YOUR GUY. 

Even the films he did that aren't bad- like LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM have ISSUES and FAULTY SCENES that BUG ME.

But then again, I'm also impossible to please.

I think because the play was such a prestigious hit at the time on Broadway they were too reverential in adapting it. They never got out of the drawing room.... Irene got double the size in the end credits but her role isnt any bigger than the others. Disappointing in that respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Siskel was a dweeb.

I usually followed Ebert more..... and given that he liked Little Shop a lot I am surprised they did not use a quote from him. And probably good thinking for the unhappy ending.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think because the play was such a prestigious hit at the time on Broadway they were too reverential in adapting it. They never got out of the drawing room.... Irene got double the size in the end credits but her role isnt any bigger than the others. Disappointing in that respect.

YES!!!

Among The Living (1941) 

Among the Living Poster

An early Film Noir that's a bit along the lines of  The Dark Mirror (1946), A Stolen Life (1946) The Guilty (1947) The Man with My Face (1951),  with a touch of  Try and Get Me,  Directed by Stuart Heisler and starring  Albert Dekker, Frances Farmer Harry Carey and a very cute  Susan Hayward.  6/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Affair in Havana (1957) 

Affair in Havana Poster

A weird little Noir shot in Havana  and directed by Laslo Benedek, with  John Cassavetes, Raymond Burr, Sara Shane  and  Lilia Lazo.  Cassavetes is a piano player in a nightclub. Raymond Burr is a very wealthy almost albino looking invalid in a wheelchair, Sara Shane is his **** wife who starts making the over on Cassavetes. John is doing his usual shtick which always reminds me of a deranged Jerry Lewis. A time waster. 6/10

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THEY NEED TO PUT THE NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE NUMBER ON THE UNHAPPY ENDING.

PS- God, Siskel was a dweeb.

I just watched Little Shop of Horrors last night! I hadn't seen it in such a long time.  I watched the version that is on the HBO Hulu app.  It was the ending I remembered, so it was obviously the happy ending.  I want to get the Blu Ray so I can watch it again with the sad ending.

I'd forgotten how great this movie was.  I love Steve Martin's sadistic dentist and Bill Murray's masochist patient, who even freaks out Steve Martin. I think my favorite part though might be when Audrey is singing "Suddenly Seymour" and suddenly switches from her affected baby Audrey voice, to what I presume is the actress' real singing voice.  I also love every single part of "Somewhere That's Green," despite my immediately thinking of Herbert singing this song while dreaming about Chris in an episode of "Family Guy." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just watched "Memento" from 2000.  This movie currently rates an 8.4 on IMDB.  How it scored that highly is beyond me, because I felt like it showcased so much about what I don't like about movies today (and this baby is 20 years old!).  The gratuitous violence, the incessantly stupid dialogue, and characters that aren't engaging or likable so the viewer doesn't really care what happens to them were all on display in this one.  The film is shown with continuous flashbacks that come fast and furious throughout, which keeps the viewer on their toes trying to piece together the plot.  The movie is apparently about an insurance investigator who suffers short-term memory loss following the rape and murder of his wife.  He sets out trying to find the killer, but his mental condition means he has to continually take Polaroid snapshots of people, places, and things and jot down all he can remember about them to jog his memory.   When the photographs and tons of scraps of paper with information written on them get to be out of hand, he resorts to having pertinent information (and lots of it) tattooed all over his body.

This review is proof positive that different movies evoke different feelings and emotions from various viewers.  Obviously, this film has its fans who absolutely love it, but I'm certainly not one of them.  I had heard and read positive stuff about "Memento", but this movie just didn't hold my attention after the first 10 or 15 minutes.  I stuck through the whole thing in hopes it would get better and change my mind, but that didn't happen today.  Maybe I will change my views if I decide to give it a second or even third chance to resonate a more positive reaction from me.   For now though, I give it a 4 out of 10.  If I were in a more generous mood, a 5;  a more surly mood, a 3.   

midwestan:  If you fancy watching a movie so simple a peon could understand it (I did!) then check out NIGHT OF THE CAT (1973).  A filmed-in-and-around Charlotte, NC drive-in silly-fest.  This is a movie so uncomplicated it'll fry your brain cells.  I've seen it thrice!   

The night before last I watched -- courtesy of an Image Entertainment VHS tape -- the 1946 low-budget movie (with lots of fog) STRANGLER OF THE SWAMP.  It only runs an hour.  I'd seen it twice before, but not lately.  So at 2 AM in went the tape!  I enjoyed it again.  Future director Blake Edwards has a sizeable part, btw.

I also watched my aging FOTOMAT Drive-Thru Movies videocassette of GREASE.  I've seen GREASE many times, but again not lately.  So I fished out the Fotomat and stuffed it into the VCR.  I find "Grease" just as enjoyable as ever.  Of course, this being mainly a musical it's because I like the songs a lot that keeps me coming back for repeat viewings.  :)

ONE of these days I need to watch a movie I've never seen before!  :P 

I'm going to buy a VHS tape of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1986) on Warner Home Video.  There's plenty of them for sale on eBay so I shall find a copy I like and buy it.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

The night before last I watched -- courtesy of an Image Entertainment VHS tape -- the 1946 low-budget movie (with lots of fog) STRANGLER OF THE SWAMP.  It only runs an hour.  I'd seen it twice before, but not lately.  So at 2 AM in went the tape!  I enjoyed it again.  Future director Blake Edwards has a sizeable part, btw.

I've read SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS MOVIE, but every time I try to watch it, I just can't make it through to save my life.

"Mary, Mary you're on my mind...Folks are gone and the place'll be mine..."

kiefer-sutherland--jason-patric-and-jami

DAMNED IF MOVIELAND ISN'T READING MY MIND!

THE LOST BOYS (1987) showed up. I have seen this movie about 100 times (child of the 80's that I am) and even rewatched it a few years ago.

I was worried for a second that i was going to have to turn it off during one of the boardwalk scenes early on because I ACTUALLY GOT A PHYSICAL PAIN IN MY CHEST FROM THE NOSTALGIA- not just the movie itself, but my memories of watching the movie with my sister and her friends on the tennis team who would DROOL AND SLOBBER ALL OVER JASON PATRIC (one of them would almost pass out in the scene where he snuffs the candle with his fingers- which in retrospect, i don't think was even him- you just see the hand, so it's probably a double.) For the record, don't ask me why, but ALEX WINTER is actually the one I find the sexiest.

I had the soundtrack on cassette, my sister had the LP- we used to play CRY LITTLE SISTER on the slow setting for larfs.

There are plot holes, yes.

There is what some might consider too many POV shots (I have NO PROBLEM with them at all, but I've read gripes elsewhere.)

But gosh darn if something special didn't happen with this one- even JOEL SCHUMACHER managed to not **** it up.

There are about 10-11 deleted scenes on youtube, and while it didn't hurt to cut them, they almost all manage to add something to the story and it would be nice if there were an option to watch the entire film with them included.

DIANNE WEIST just seems like THE BEST MOM doesn't she? The COREY HAIM character is absolutely, unmistakably written as GAY.

DEATH BY STEREO!

THOSE OF YOU WITH A ROKU, I WOULD REALLY REALLY RECOMMEND CHECKING IN TO THE ADD-ON CHANNEL MOVIELAND, I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY ARE GETTING ALL THESE RAD MOVIES!!!!!!

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've read SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS MOVIE, but every time I try to watch it, I just can't make it through to save my life.

Give Fahrmann Maria a shot (it's on YouTube). This is the original version  of the story, by the same director.

• Thanks 1

@LornaHansonForbes:  Part of the charm, to me, of STRANGLER OF THE SWAMP is the fog and the swamp.  I like movies with fog and swamps.  I look past the slow pace. 

THE WITCHMAKER (1969) takes place in the Louisiana swamp and the setting is all isolated and stuff.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I like movies with fog and swamps.

So do the local DRY ICE suppliers, without them they'd be in trouble.

I get you though- I ABSOLUTELY LOVE BLACK AND WHITE "WINDSWEPT" MOVIES SET on cliffs overlooking the ocean.

• Like 1

Cutter's Way (1981)

Tragic neo-noir all in shades of gray, 70s style. It's all very tragic and very touching really. Jeff Bridges shows again what a good actor he is, John Heard goes down and dirty as the embittered paraplegic and comes up with a memorable character, and Lisa Eichhorn is so good in her supporting part, that one wishes that she had gone on to a top flight career that she wholeheartedly deserved, the same feeling I had after seeing her in Yanks......  Haunting musical score by Jack Nitzsche

Source; Amazon Prime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Cutter's Way (1981)

Tragic neo-noir all in shades of gray, 70s style. It's all very tragic and very touching really. Jeff Bridges shows again what a good actor he is, John Heard goes down and dirty as the embittered paraplegic and comes up with a memorable character, and Lisa Eichhorn is so good in her supporting part, that one wishes that she had gone on to a top flight career that she wholeheartedly deserved, the same feeling I had after seeing her in Yanks......  Haunting musical score by Jack Nitzsche

Source; Amazon Prime

you might know this already, but there is a 1992 book called ALTERNATE OSCARS where the author goes through the entire history (up til that point) and makes his own choices for best actor, actress, and picture. he takes HENRY FONDA'S best actor Oscar for ON GOLDEN POND away and awards it to JOHN HEARD for CUTTER'S WAY (which he also thought deserved a BEST PICTURE nomination)

(don't worry, he gave FONDA the OSCAR for GRAPES OF WRATH and plenty of other alternate nominations)

I remember there was QUITE THE SCANDAL ca. 1990 when HEARD was arrested for domestic abuse soon after the first HOME ALONE movie made such a SPLASH...i think they left him out of the sequel...

Don't ask me why, but I watched a little bit of SHARKNADO, which featured HEARD in a deliberately bad walk-on part- it was sad to see how fall he had fallen.

he died soon after.

eta: HEARD actually did reprise his role in HOME ALONE II; and the DOMESTIC VIOLENCE INCIDENT involved MELISSA LEO, who went on to win the oscar for THE FIGHTER. He seems to have been a VERY TROUBLED GUY.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Cutter's Way (1981)

Source; Amazon Prime

It sort of  went over the top  for me with Heard on horseback. 

I just finished viewing WOMAN OF STRAW on TCM. As a huge Sean Connery fan I don't know how I missed this one. It came out in 1964 when he was just starting  his James Bond period. (SPOILER ALERT) While it was hard viewing him as the "bad guy", he was great in the role. Watching Gina Lollobrigida wasn't tough duty either. She is absolutely gorgeous. She is still kicking and will be 93 on Independence Day.  Ralph Richardson Is perfect as an old rich jerk. I really enjoyed the film and highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I checked out THE MASQUE OF RED DEATH (1964) on MOVIELAND. 
Even with the extremely uninspired direction of Roger Corman this still manages to be watchable, Had it been done by a director who paid actual attention to the details of the film and whose every single decision was not dictated by the bottom line, the budget, the box office and the returns – it probably could’ve been something extraordinary.

It’s extremely lazy how you can see the jump cuts at the end after the red death runs his cape over people and they then become infected. The makeup is also substandard.

The sets were apparently left over from BECKET, But of course Corman makes absolutely no use of their grande size and scale, filming everyone crammed into tight shots and directing a ludicrous chase scene where three characters wander in a tight shot through a tunnel while bombastic music plays, Encouraging us all the while that something interesting is actually happening.

But really, not a bad film. I hate Roger Corman though.

Oh it’s also set in Italy and absolutely no one is Italian, they almost all have British accents and no one pronounces any of the names correctly. 

(Posted the above review with my phone, so sorry if it’s loaded with typos in the train of thought because off the tracks every now and then)

36 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I checked out THE MASQUE OF RED DEATH (1964) on MOVIELAND. 
Even with the extremely uninspired direction of Roger Corman this still manages to be watchable, Had it been done by a director who paid actual attention to the details of the film and whose every single decision was not dictated by the bottom line, the budget, the box office and the returns – it probably could’ve been something extraordinary.

But really, not a bad film. I hate Roger Corman though.

Not a great film, but it has some style and some creepy scenes.  

I like early, b&w Corman.  His horror films add to the greatness of 1957, a seminal year for horror/sci-fi:  It Conquered the World, Not of this Earth, Attack of the Crab Monsters. and my favorite, The Undead. And I also like 1960s The Little Shop of Horrors.

MV5BYjhjOTZhOWMtNDQ0Ni00NDRiLTg1MWEtZTNj

The Undead (1957)

NotOfThisEarth-BatThing.jpg

Not of the Earth (1957)

• Like 1