Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

8 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Two rentals, one from the mail-renal service Facets, one from the local video store, today....

The mail service one was the 1958 film by Sanjait Ray, The music Room, which was a pretty interesting elegiac look at the waning days of a formerly wealthy Indian man and the crumbling of his life. Its ending is a bit abrupt, but it is still deeply moving and fascinating in its look at another culture.....

The one from the rental store is 2019's Motherless Brooklyn, and to cut directly to the chase, it is the return of Chinatown. it is almost as though, almost 30 years down the road from The Two Jakes, we finally got the third part of the JJ Gittes trilogy. Of course though, instead of Nicholson, we have Edward Norton as our lead, playing a detective who has a sharp interior mind, but is crippled by Tourette's and nervous tics. But that does not stop him from investigating this twisty, turny case involving murder and reckless land development. This has been Norton's passion project for 20 years, and the neglect and indifference it received from audiences and movie critics is simply appalling. Yes, it is probably a bit too indebted to Chinatown, and the copious amounts of swearing feel out of place for a film set in 1957. But it is also so incredibly well acted by everyone, so deeply affecting, such a gorgeous looking production, with such a great jazz score, and in a rich noir tradition that any complaint feels trivial.... In short not just one of the best of 2019, but also one of the best of its decade. Highly recommended.

--------

I'm also finishing up one on Amazon prime I started the other day, the charming 40 Carats (1973) and I had started looking at another so-far-glorious rental, Diary of a Country Priest (1950), which i am eagerly looking forward to continuing when I get home. Seems like a masterpiece so far......

I read the bolded part really quickly and was like "kidney help in the mail? what?" lol.

I rented Motherless Brooklyn from RedBox a few months ago.  My husband and I loved it.  It did run a little long and I was a little worried how Edward Norton would portray his character with Tourette's.  I had a classmate in highschool that had Tourette's, and Norton's character's tics, phrases and behavior were very similar to my classmate's.  I read after the fact that Norton actually researched Tourette's extensively before filming and even consulted with the Tourette Association of America.  He did a great job.  

My husband and I thought that this was such a great movie.  The cast was wonderful and I loved the jazz score that you mentioned.  I do agree about the swearing, but on the other hand, real NYC police and detectives probably used that type of language in 1957.  People probably didn't abide by the Production Code in everyday life.  I also loved the sets, the costumes and the overall aesthetic of the film. I think it's a shame that Norton's film didn't receive more attention and acclaim. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I read the bolded part really quickly and was like "kidney help in the mail? what?" lol.

THANKS OBAMACARE!!!!!

• Haha 1

I'VE BEEN in such a horror movie mood...

I tried watching THE CRAZIES- a George Romero film from the 70's that has some real modern day parallels, but it was too badly shot to get into.

I bought FRANKENSTEIN: THE LEGACY COLLECTION off amazon, which has all of the UNIVERSAL FRANKENSTEIN FILMS (including ...MEETS THE WOLF MAN which had previously been left off and only included on THE WOLF MAN LEGACY COLLECTION.) I watched the original, SON OF, and GHOST OF.

I'm a sucker for BRITISH HORROR ANTHOLOGIES of the 70's, and I rewatched VAULT OF HORROR- which might be the best of the AMICUS horror anthologies (the acting is all-around really good) and THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD, which is just okay- although the last two tales have their moments.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'VE BEEN in such a horror movie mood...

Here is one for you...

Under The Skin (2013)

Under the Skin Poster

Director: Jonathan Glazer and starring Scarlett Johansson. With impressive atmospherics.

A pretty bizarre tale of a female alien who inhabits the skin of an earthling female and then goes out and lures men into her Twilight Zone-ish/different dimension lair with the promise of sex. The floor of the lair looks like a mirror. The alien begins to shed her clothes and back away while the men do likewise following her hypnotized. As they get loser to her they begin to sink obliviously into a Mercury type of liquid eventually to be consumed. There is a pretty cool percussive soundtrack that accompanies that luring process before they get to the "lair," so you know whats coming, lol 8/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I rented Motherless Brooklyn from RedBox a few months ago.  My husband and I loved it.  It did run a little long and I was a little worried how Edward Norton would portray his character with Tourette's.  I had a classmate in highschool that had Tourette's, and Norton's character's tics, phrases and behavior were very similar to my classmate's.  I read after the fact that Norton actually researched Tourette's extensively before filming and even consulted with the Tourette Association of America.  He did a great job.  

My husband and I thought that this was such a great movie.  The cast was wonderful and I loved the jazz score that you mentioned.  I do agree about the swearing, but on the other hand, real NYC police and detectives probably used that type of language in 1957.  People probably didn't abide by the Production Code in everyday life.  I also loved the sets, the costumes and the overall aesthetic of the film. I think it's a shame that Norton's film didn't receive more attention and acclaim. 

I'm delighted to hear of others that loved Motherless Brooklyn. It was a wonderful movie and you are absolutely right that it didn't receive the attention and acclaim it deserved. Unfortunately, it might be a comment on today's audiences not having the patience or desire to let a movie build and unfold. It was a joy to see in theatres. Great performances, fascinating story (I enjoyed learning about Robert Moses and the power he held in New York City), and as a jazz lover, an outstanding score made even better with Wynton Marsalis playing the trumpet parts.

I always admire projects where an individual does it all (acting, directing, and writing) and Edward Norton delivered. I read the book and I felt the story Norton created was much more interesting and enjoyable. 

Hopefully Motherless Brooklyn will be appreciated more in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THANKS OBAMACARE!!!!!

Just slightly off the subject:
Every time Trump--apropos of nothing except what's bothering his poor widdle head in the middle of the night--Tweets simply "OBAMAGATE!!", I can't help it:

My naturally crossword-puzzle instinct for anagrams has no choice but to respond...."A BAG O' MEAT!!"  😅  (Posted with the helpful graphic of the grocer's butcher-shop special.)

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Typo on my part.... Just a rental service

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

Just slightly off the subject:
Every time Trump--apropos of nothing except what's bothering his poor widdle head in the middle of the night--Tweets simply "OBAMAGATE!!", I can't help it:

My naturally crossword-puzzle instinct for anagrams has no choice but to respond...."A BAG O' MEAT!!"  😅  (Posted with the helpful graphic of the grocer's butcher-shop special.)

BEST ANAGRAM SINCE “GENUINE CLASS”!!!!

7 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Typo on my part.... Just a rental service

I know. I just thought it was funny.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BEST ANAGRAM SINCE “GENUINE CLASS”!!!!

A search for part-time Lockdown activities has me responding to Trump meltdown-Tweets as a sort of daily MST3K Sudoku Challenge:

When he responded to one latest supposed FBI "revelation" about Obamagate, he reposted the Tweet with simply "It's about time!"

To which I challenge any human being of a certain age not to respond with "It's about Space!  About strange people in the strangest place!"  😅

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Athos said:

I'm delighted to hear of others that loved Motherless Brooklyn. It was a wonderful movie and you are absolutely right that it didn't receive the attention and acclaim it deserved. Unfortunately, it might be a comment on today's audiences not having the patience or desire to let a movie build and unfold. It was a joy to see in theatres. Great performances, fascinating story (I enjoyed learning about Robert Moses and the power he held in New York City), and as a jazz lover, an outstanding score made even better with Wynton Marsalis playing the trumpet parts.

I always admire projects where an individual does it all (acting, directing, and writing) and Edward Norton delivered. I read the book and I felt the story Norton created was much more interesting and enjoyable. 

Hopefully Motherless Brooklyn will be appreciated more in the future.

I happened to see it on a big screen near Seattle in a theater, the wife and I loved it also, it was sort of a New York "Chinatown" with that Robert Moses angle.

• Like 2

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (2008) *Score: 2/5* 

Starring: Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Shia LaBeouf, Cate Blanchett, John Hurt. 

Yeah, this one is bad. I'm trying to finish Cate Blanchett's filmography. This makes number 19. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (2008) *Score: 2/5* 

Starring: Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Shia LaBeouf, Cate Blanchett, John Hurt. 

Yeah, this one is bad. I'm trying to finish Cate Blanchett's filmography. This makes number 19. 

Oh Honey, 

(internet hug)

ps- eff this movie with something ESPECIALLY  RUSTY. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been feeling some anxiety lately, so I have been on a STRICT HORROR DIET-

Rewatching SON OF FRANKENSTEIN last night, I wonder aloud here: what the Hell kind of raving dispomaniac designed the sets for this movie?

Son-of-Frankenstein-Sets3.png

they are OUTRE and CLUNKY and IMPOSE on the film.

tumblr_m7wmkpTGph1qzdvhio1_1280.jpg

HATE THESE STAIRS. apparently the FRANKENSTEINS hired OTHO as their INTERIOR DESIGNER.

stairs.jpg

Generally, I SALUTE A BOLD CHOICE, and I understand anyone who does like them- but for me they are a "no."

A firm "YES!" from me will always stand for both THE SCORE and BELA LUGOSI as YGOR- the scene where he COUGHS ON THE GUY ON THE TOWN COUNCIL AND SAYS "SORRY, BONE GETS STUCK IN MY THROAT!" SLAYS ME EVERY ****ING TIME. Personally, I would have preferred a movie about the 25 year-long GREY GARDENSy relationship between YGOR and THE MONSTER tho... it CANNOT BE OVERSTATED how OPENLY HOSTILE BASIL RATHBONE IS TO BEING IN THE MOVIE, so much so, that it frankly becomes endearing. I swear to GOD, if you read his lips in one scene he's screaming "NO, I DON'T WANT TO BE IN THIS ****ING MOVIE!!!!!!" while STARING STRAIGHT INTO THE CAMERA.

IT'S AS THOUGH they interrupted his stent at Rehab for cocaine and made him come to the set at 5:00 every morning where they force fed him an eight ball.

it's really something to behold in Act 3. The darts scene in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is THE TONED DOWN VERSION.

• Like 3

I've also been watching FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943)...

I remember as a child of the eighties watching as many of the classic horrors on VHS as I could, and it wasn't because they were scary. It was the style, the acting, the stories- but I never got scared.

I remember being BETWEEN 8 AND 10 YEARS OLD and being QUITE ANGRY with the OPENING SCENE OF THIS MOVIE, which I put to you is THE SCARIEST SCENE OF ANY MOVIE MADE BEFORE PSYCHO AND which is pretty close to about as horrific as many films being made at that time.

of course, now I LOVE IT TO PIECES.

OIP.AHDdM1Ap2F42kEOxxCJGhQHaF1?pid=Api&r

• Like 1

Had a noir marathon last night from the Film Noir Collection Volume 5. Wonderful night, five very entertaining thrillers, where even the least was still fascinating (1950's Backfire) and the others were a crackling good time (Dial 1119 [1950], Deadline at Dawn [1946], Desperate [1947], and The Phenix City Story [1955]) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Had a noir marathon last night from the Film Noir Collection Volume 5. Wonderful night, five very entertaining thrillers, where even the least was still fascinating (1950's Backfire) and the others were a crackling good time (Dial 1119 [1950], Deadline at Dawn [1946], Desperate [1947], and The Phenix City Story [1955]) 

I really liked Backfire.  It was interesting to see Gordon McRae in a non-musical role.  I also really enjoyed seeing Dane Clark as a villain.

***SPOILER***

I loved the scene where a bandaged Edmond O'Brien, donning a body cast, falls onto Dane Clark just as he was going to attack.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've been feeling some anxiety lately, so I have been on a STRICT HORROR DIET-

Rewatching SON OF FRANKENSTEIN last night, I wonder aloud here: what the Hell kind of raving dispomaniac designed the sets for this movie?

I believe it was an attempt to instill a general sense of horror. A Midcentury Modern setting would not have have had the same effect at an innate or primal level as the distorted shapes of otherwise normal setting.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I really liked Backfire.  It was interesting to see Gordon McRae in a non-musical role.  I also really enjoyed seeing Dane Clark.

***SPOILER***

I loved the scene where a bandaged Edmond O'Brien, donning a body cast, falls onto Dane Clark just as he was going to attack.

Well you kind of give away the spoiler in the first sentence (so I edited it),   But hey the French promo poster for this film does the same thing!   

To me Backfire was middle-of-the-road;   Clark and O'Brien were fine but Mayo was wasted and I didn't get enough 'juice' from McRae and most of the film centered around his character.     The other actress, Viveca Lindfors was very good.

BACKFIRE GORDON MACRAE VIRGINIA MAYO 1950 RARE EXYUGO MINI MOVIE ...

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i did like this one shot though:

frankenstein5.jpg

Looks like something out of a Disney cartoon feature without the color

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Looks like something out of a Disney cartoon feature without the color

I get more of a Harry Potter vibe from it...

Three Broomsticks™ - Universal Studios Hollywood

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I get more of a Harry Potter vibe from it...

Three Broomsticks™ - Universal Studios Hollywood

The Pinocchio Village Haus in the Magic Kingdom - AllEars.Net

pinocchio | One1more2time3's Weblog

When the townspeople sing, "She's nothing like the rest of us ...

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well you kind of give away the spoiler in the first sentence (so I edited it),   But hey the French promo poster for this film does the same thing!   

T[...]

BACKFIRE GORDON MACRAE VIRGINIA MAYO 1950 RARE EXYUGO MINI MOVIE ...

Nitpick: That poster is in Croatian, translating to something like "Trace of a killer".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, Wrong Number (1948) New York Noir

unnamed%2B%252816%2529.jpg

Sorry, Wrong Number was originally a radio play. It was written by Lucille Fletcher who worked between 1934 and 1939 as a music librarian, copyright clerk and publicity writer for the Columbia Broadcasting System. While there she met and married composer Bernard Herrmann. Beginning in 1939-40 she began to write radio plays beginning with My Client Curly on WHP-CBS, on March 7, 1940. Sorry, Wrong Number premiered on May 25, 1943, as an episode of the radio series Suspense. Fletcher adapted the radio play for the film.

The film is almost what I like to call an Ensemble Noir meaning that aside from Barbara Stanwyck who plays Leona Stevenson, the rest of the cast all has about the same amount of screen time. The rest of the cast, Burt Lancaster as Henry J. Stevenson, Ann Richards as Sally Hunt Lord, Wendell Corey as Dr. Philip Alexander, Harold Vermilyea as Waldo Evans, Ed Begley as James Cotterell, Leif Erickson as Fred Lord, William Conrad as Morano, John Bromfield as Joe - Detective, and Jimmy Hunt as Peter Lord. 7/10

Full review in Film Noir/Gangster Pages.

• Like 2