Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Tom, I also like Sands of the Kalahari. Cy Endfield is a good director. But not only does Stuart Whitman not get sunburned, Susannah York's hair looks runway-ready.

Non sunburn and runway hair style aside, it's a solid if harsh film that deserves to be better known.

• Like 1

I apologize for shilling, but I promise I am getting no compensation...

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to all you ROKU TV OWNERS to look into adding on THE MOVIELAND CHANNEL.

It is getting to be MY EVERYTHING in this INCREASINGLY FRAGILE WORLD.

They have THE WICKER MAN (1973) [not the "NOT THE BEES!' one, Thank Christ], which I saw a year or so ago for the first time [unfortunately, I had seen much of the "NOT THE BEES!" one going in].. It was a slightly blurry print, but I'm not in the mood to be real picky about **** lately.

I get the strong sense that in real life CHRISTOPHER LEE was probably not a very pleasant person, maybe I am wrong. He was also, um, not discerning in the roles he took throughout his career...but there is something that clicks so marvelously with his performance in this film. it's special. and it's a VERY special movie.

The-Wicker-Man-1973-Lord-Summerisle-7.jpCHER without make-up.

26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I get the strong sense that in real life CHRISTOPHER LEE was probably not a very pleasant person, maybe I am wrong. He was also, um, not discerning in the roles he took throughout his career...but there is something that clicks so marvelously with his performance in this film. it's special. and it's a VERY special movie.

He will for all time hold a special place in my heart for his adventurous spirit in seeking unusual roles. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

7 hours ago, SansFin said:

He will for all time hold a special place in my heart for his adventurous spirit in seeking unusual roles. 

Christopher Lee was famous as one of the last pleasant "Gentleman horror actors" in the days of Vincent Price and Peter Cushing, and in fact, Lee says the only reason he agreed to "Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf" is that he had good experiences working with bat-looney director Philippe Mora on The Return of Captain Invincible.

He has often publicly regretted it later.

(As for why Disney's Return From Witch Mountain (1977), at least that one managed to get Bette Davis, too, so go figure.)

• Like 1

The Flame (1947) Flame Out Noir

The_flame_poster_1947.jpg

A Christmas - New Year Noir Meller.

Directed by John H. Auer written by Lawrence Kimblefro a story by Robert T. Shannon. 

Here's a "C" Noir from Republic Pictures that's just a bit of a ratchet up from every Hugo Hass "prodution" I've seen. But what Hugo always got right is the inclusion of a sleazy blonde bombshell in every one of his Noirs. A blonde who knew the sore and could always make a living on her back in a pinch

Auger includes a foreign born blonde but instead of sexy she comes off demure and mousy. Vera Ralston, a born in Czechoslovakia ice skater, is playing an ex French Nurse, she must be Republic's answer to Belita, another foreign blonde who failed to ignite in America.

Auer went to to make two other excellent noir The City That Never Sleeps and a favorite of mine Hell's Half Acre.

What The Flame has going for it is a great opening Noir eight minutes that has a jazzy almost rockabilly soundtrack, and then periodic appearances from Broderick Crawford and Constance Dowling which tend to make up for the draggy soap opera sequences.

After those first eight minutes the flame out begins when we get to the flashback. Much like The Set Up,( thought it's actual runtime is 1:37 minutes)  The Flame in real time takes place in the hour before 12 on New Years Eve.

John Carrol the perennial sleazy, pencil thin mustache wearing, usually second banana supporting actor plays George. He is very convincing. Ernie, the  Broderick Crawford character is sort of a smarter version of the small time crook he played in A Night Before Christmas (1942) and a softer version of the hood he plays in Born Yesterday (1950). Constance Dowling is also very effective as Helene.

Vera Ralston as Carlotta Duval is very forgettable as is Robert Paige playing Barry. Henry Travers (who everybody will recognize as Clarence the angel from Its A Wonderful Life) plays Dr. Mitchell, Blanche Yurka is the sour dowager Aunt Margaret who was in charge of the MacAllister estate until the brothers came of age (their parents both died in a tragic accident), Hattie McDaniel plays the MacAllister maid Celia.

The first eight minutes like I mentioned earlier is great. Another highlight for me is the mid century modern style of chair that George sits in in his apartment is exactly like one I owned in Montana. Sreencaps are from an online streamer. Watchable. 6.5-7/10.  Full review with sreencaps in Film Noir/Gangster Pages.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I apologize for shilling, but I promise I am getting no compensation...

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to all you ROKU TV OWNERS to look into adding on THE MOVIELAND CHANNEL.

It is getting to be MY EVERYTHING in this INCREASINGLY FRAGILE WORLD.

They have THE WICKER MAN (1973) [not the "NOT THE BEES!' one, Thank Christ], which I saw a year or so ago for the first time [unfortunately, I had seen much of the "NOT THE BEES!" one going in].. It was a slightly blurry print, but I'm not in the mood to be real picky about **** lately.

The-Wicker-Man-1973-Lord-Summerisle-7.jpCHER without make-up.

Hey, Lorna, could you comment on the Noir thread about the Kiss Before Dying remake?

Speaking of CHRISTOPHER LEE, I recently bought a movie on a 'New Old Stock' WARNER VHS he featured in -- but did not star in: 

POLICE ACADEMY:  Mission to Moscow (1994)

Orson Welles isn't the only highly-regarded thespian who did movies "for the money"! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The_flame_poster_1947.jpg

I liker the floating ghost head in the poster ^^^

14 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

A blonde who knew the sore and could always make a living on her back in a pinch

Ouch! Risky behaviour!

12 hours ago, Hibi said:

Hey, Lorna, could you comment on the Noir thread about the Kiss Before Dying remake?

Sure, just Gimme some time to wake up...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, EricJ said:

Christopher Lee was famous as one of the last pleasant "Gentleman horror actors" in the days of Vincent Price and Peter Cushing, and in fact, Lee says the only reason he agreed to "Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf" is that he had good experiences working with bat-looney director Philippe Mora on The Return of Captain Invincible.

He has often publicly regretted it later.

(As for why Disney's Return From Witch Mountain (1977), at least that one managed to get Bette Davis, too, so go figure.)

my feelings in re: what sort of a person CHRISTOPHER LEE was in REAL LIFE have been molded somewhat by some interviews he's given, the DVD COMMENTARY on SCARS OF DRACULA that he does with ROY WARD BAKER, and a clip of him, frankly coming off as being a bit of a spotted dick on the set of one of the unfortunate STAR WARS PREQUELS where GEORGE LUCAS put fangs on YODA as a prank. "Oh George, you of ALL people, I didn't expect this from YOU."

At the same time though, LUCAS deserved worse for any number of other things, SO I'LL LET THE LAST ONE SLIDE.

at the same time though, i recently watched the below video, some HOME MOVIE SHOT BY actor FRANCIS MATHEWS behind the scenes on DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS during the filming of the finale- and LEE and BARBARA SHELLEY were NARRATING AS they saw it for the first time MANY, MANY YEARS LATER and- between the two of them- THEY REMEMBER THE NAMES OF JUST ABOUT EVERYONE IN THE CREW, INSTANTLY AND UN-PROMPTED.

I also get a kick out of visualizing the behind the scenes drama on SCARS OF DRACULA when he talked ANOUSKA HEMPHILL (sp?) into refusing to do a nude scene.

"I'm not being funny, love: it's simply NOT essential to the part and I shan't be doing it, darling."

From Here to Eternity Poster

From Here To Eternity (1953) TCM on Demand 10/10

The troubled personal lives of a few soldiers stationed in Pearl Harbor just before the 1941 attack.

One of my top ten films of all time. I haven't seen it in awhile since TCM broadcasts it quite often and I wanted to wait till I was in the mood. I still love it, though I constantly hear everyone talking about the Burt Lancaster/Deborah Kerr beach scene and that this is the one Frank Sinatra won his Oscar. I always felt those were subplots, the main story is Prewitt (Montgomery Clift) being bullied by his superiors into boxing on the company team. I thought those scenes had the most effect, and one of my favorites was when Prewitt finally fights back against one brutal sergeant. Ernest Borgnine also makes a great impression as a hateful, grinning bad guy. 

• Like 5

I'd like to find a disc of the TV movie remake of FROM HERE TO ETERNITY with WILLIAM DEVANE as Warden, NATALIE WOOD as Karen Holmes, STEVE RAILSBACK as Prewitt, KIM BASINGER as Lorene and PETER BOYLE as Fatso Judson.  JOE PANTOLIANO's Maggio wasn't up to Sinatra's, but very good anyway.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd like to find a disc of the TV movie remake of FROM HERE TO ETERNITY with WILLIAM DEVANE as Warden, NATALIE WOOD as Karen Holmes, STEVE RAILSBACK as Prewitt, KIM BASINGER as Lorene and PETER BOYLE as Fatso Judson.  JOE PANTOLIANO's Maggio wasn't up to Sinatra's, but very good anyway.

Sepiatone

I saw that when first broadcast, I thought it was pretty good. The only problem I had was Railsback, I could not get the image out of my head of the crazed Charles Manson he had played in Helter Skelter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:
23 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

A blonde who knew the sore and could always make a living on her back in a pinch

Ouch! Risky behaviour!

I'm more worried about what kind of sore it is. :D

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Natalie Wood got a Golden Globe for it, the last acting prize she received. According to her daughter in that HBO documentary last month, she wasn't expecting to win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just watched Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood with Tom Hanks and the man who will be the latest to play Perry Mason (Matthew Rhys).  Was neither terrible or great and left many questions re: Mr. Rogers unanswered.  Also, I saw Tom Hanks playing Mr. Rogers (not as believable as when he played Sully (sp?).  Helter Skelter and anything Manson upsets me.

I watched Dodge City (1939) for the zillionth time after a stressful news day.  Fell asleep within 1/2 an hour into the film.  Errol Flynn's Wade Hatton was sheriff and I knew all would be right with the world (oh if things were that simple now!).  I could also use a dose of Blazing Saddles right now, which apparently was based on Dodge City (and a bit of Destry Rides Again).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2020 at 2:08 PM, cigarjoe said:

Wow. This was graphic. Sore. Back. Pinch. o.O

I would say this about Christopher Lee.  He seemed to have a lot of strong opinions which is Ok.  However, he also seemed to willingly appear in a number of movies he must have known would not possibly be great pieces of art!  ROSEBUD BEACH HOTEL, anyone?  I've already mentioned POLICE ACADEMY:  Mission To Moscow. 

An interesting role for Lee was as a gay biker/businessman in SERIAL (1980).  "We're tough dudes, Holroyd!" says Lee to Martin Mull.   

Actors who want or need to keep working (bills don't pay themselves!), especially older ones, don't get to be real choosy about the roles they take.  

JOHN CARRADINE worked in some awful schlock in his later years but, hey, he stayed busy until the end!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

An interesting role for Lee was as a gay biker/businessman in SERIAL (1980).  "We're tough dudes, Holroyd!" says Lee to Martin Mull.   

Serial is a very fun movie. Has it ever come out on DVD? I wish TCM would show it, but it would have to be digitized first. I remember laughing myself silly when it first came out. Christopher Lee as a businessman who's secretly a gay biker is inspired casting.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

From Here to Eternity Poster

From Here To Eternity (1953) TCM on Demand 10/10

The troubled personal lives of a few soldiers stationed in Pearl Harbor just before the 1941 attack.

One of my top ten films of all time. I haven't seen it in awhile since TCM broadcasts it quite often and I wanted to wait till I was in the mood. I still love it, though I constantly hear everyone talking about the Burt Lancaster/Deborah Kerr beach scene and that this is the one Frank Sinatra won his Oscar. I always felt those were subplots, the main story is Prewitt (Montgomery Clift) being bullied by his superiors into boxing on the company team. I thought those scenes had the most effect, and one of my favorites was when Prewitt finally fights back against one brutal sergeant. Ernest Borgnine also makes a great impression as a hateful, grinning bad guy. 

I agree that Prewitt plays a far more important role in the movie than some reviewers give it credit for, but it's hard to deny that the infamous lovemaking beach scene between Lancaster and Kerr outshines a lot of today's more explicit sexual scenes depicted on film.

Never saw the television remake. Don't think I'll go out of my way to look for it, even if it does have a decent cast to it. The actors in the 1953 version IMO would be tough acts to follow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I would say this about Christopher Lee.  He seemed to have a lot of strong opinions which is Ok.  However, he also seemed to willingly appear in a number of movies he must have known would not possibly be great pieces of art!  ROSEBUD BEACH HOTEL, anyone?  I've already mentioned POLICE ACADEMY:  Mission To Moscow. 

Actors who want or need to keep working (bills don't pay themselves!), especially older ones, don't get to be real choosy about the roles they take.  

JOHN CARRADINE worked in some awful schlock in his later years but, hey, he stayed busy until the end!

REPLYING TO POINTS IN BOLD:

I- of all people- would have to be some SPECIAL kind of Hypocrite to dislike ANYONE for having STRONG OPINIONS (or a propensity to use ALL CAPS when typing), so I'll keep that in mind in re: LEE, THE MAN

OFF TO GOOGLE SERIAL (1980).

I also feel compelled to mention- WHEN discussing nadirs of CHRISTOPHER LEE'S CAREER- both CASTLE OF FU MANCHU which was- for a time- THE WORST MOVIE THEY DID on MST- and I have to say, it is one CONFUSING MOVIE!!!- and a film called STARSHIP INVASIONS (1977) which deserves comparison to ED WOOD.

OIP.qxE_0-JjSyIAODTc93gqdwAAAA?pid=Api&r

I also recently started watching COUNT DRACULA (1970) ON AMAZON PRIME, and I quit because it was SO TERRIBLE- no fault of LEE'S, it was a JESS (nee JESUS) FRANCO FILM and the steaming hot mess was entirely on the latter's shoulders. pity, because LEE LOOKS THE PART AS WRITTEN BY STOKER and handleS his dialogue well...the production values are ****, the score consists of the first few notes of THE THIRD MAN SCORE repeated OVER AND OVER AND ***ING OVER AGAIN and THE BATs are remarkably craptacular.

worst of all, KLAUS KINSKI as RENFIELD is ASTOUNDINGLY LOW KEY (and low-lit)

but LEE gives it his 110% and you get the impression he was perhaps unaware that the production was going to be SO POORLY DIRECTED...Although seeing as how FRANCO also did CASTLE OF FU MANCHU, I'm not sure just why LEE would think this.

I ONLY RECENTLY DISCOVERED THAT JOHN CARRADINE DID NOT DIE UNTIL SOME TIME IN THE LATE 80's. HOLY COW! HE MUST HAVE BEEN JUST SAWDUST INSIDE.

I remember many years ago my Grandmother once remarking that when he was younger JOHN CARRADINE was "a handsome devil".  And I'd have to say, after seeing a few of his earlier movie appearances, he was somewhat good looking.  And of course, there was that VOICE!  I thought his appearances on his son DAVID's show "Kung Fu" as not so straight-laced preacher Serenity Johnson were pretty interesting. 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I remember many years ago my Grandmother once remarking that when he was younger JOHN CARRADINE was "a handsome devil".  And I'd have to say, after seeing a few of his earlier movie appearances, he was somewhat good looking.  And of course, there was that VOICE!  I thought his appearances on his son DAVID's show "Kung Fu" as not so straight-laced preacher Serenity Johnson were pretty interesting. 

Sepiatone

CARRADINE'S best performances [that I've seen] were in THE GRAPES OF WRATH, BLUEBEARD (sadly, the print is bad), HITLER'S MADMAN and THE EGYPTIAN (1954?) where he probably has the best moment of the film.

I am not a fan of his Dracula though.

I've seen him in some HEINOUS **** later on though.

• Thanks 1