Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

i've posted this before, but pleaase- do yourself a favor and skip to 1:25 in.

i NEVER GET TIRED OF THIS:

ETA: IT WAS THE "MAN GETTING HIT IN THE GROIN WITH A FOOTBALL" OF ITS DAY

• Haha 1

Trailer better explains, very well made.

Grants liver was never mentioned. :P

I think Grandma was referring to his appearance back in the '30's or so, and NOT his appearances;)  And I think his 1st son DAVID (real name John, and Dad John's real first name is Richmond) is the only boy of his that bears any resemblance.  In BLUEBEARD(that you mentioned) you can notice that resemblance more clearly in many shots.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Just for the record:  JOHN CARRADINE (Feb. 5, 1906 - Nov. 27, 1988).  He was 82.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

However, he also seemed to willingly appear in a number of movies he must have known would not possibly be great pieces of art!  ROSEBUD BEACH HOTEL, anyone?

I'm reminded of Michael Caine's comment on his role in Jaws: The Revenge.  (I'm probably misquoting slightly, but this is the gist of it.)  "I have not seen the movie, but by all accounts it is terrible.  I have, however, seen the house it paid for, and that is magnificent."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night I opened up the shrink wrap on the NOS Warner tape and stuffed POLICE ACADEMY:  MISSION TO MOSCOW into the VCR. 

There were a couple of previews before the movie started.  MISSION TO MOSCOW is no better or worse than Police Academy 2 or 3. 

I've not seen POLICE ACADEMY 4, 5 or 6 so I cannot comment on the quality of those in comparison to POLICE ACADEMY's trip to Moscow. 

Verdict:  What I expected.  A few laughs here 'n' there.  The on-location filming in Russia is kind of interesting, though.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I remember many years ago my Grandmother once remarking that when he was younger JOHN CARRADINE was "a handsome devil".  And I'd have to say, after seeing a few of his earlier movie appearances, he was somewhat good looking.  And of course, there was that VOICE!  I thought his appearances on his son DAVID's show "Kung Fu" as not so straight-laced preacher Serenity Johnson were pretty interesting. 

Sepiatone

Yes, the chivalrous gambler in Stagecoach.   Also, he has a great death scene in Blood and Sand.  The brilliant color makes him look like an El Greco Christ.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Last night I opened up the shrink wrap on the NOS Warner tape and stuffed POLICE ACADEMY:  MISSION TO MOSCOW into the VCR. 

Verdict:  What I expected.  A few laughs here 'n' there.  The on-location filming in Russia is kind of interesting, though.  

***IN RUSSIA, LOCATION FILMS YOU.***

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rosebette said:

Yes, the chivalrous gambler in Stagecoach.   Also, he has a great death scene in Blood and Sand.  The brilliant color makes him look like an El Greco Christ.

I forgot STAGECOACH. He’s great in that. 

John Carradine performance in The Grapes of Wrath was magnificent.  And I remember performances rather than Oscars.  Henry Fonda's performance in the movie is iconic.

As for I just watched.  Watched the end of The Citadel roughly lunch time and last night my Mom and I watched In Her Shoes (a mixture of comedy and drama - there was a bittersweet undertone that resonated with me).

Now, on the schedule for early a.m. today is A Song is Born, which stars Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo.  It is a remake of Balls of Fury (I think that is the name) with Gary C. and Barbara S.

22 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

LOL Chaya That's BALL OF FIRE,

Right, 'cause as I recall when I watched Balls of Fury at the old Pussycat Theater on Melrose years ago, it didn't star either Danny Kaye OR Virginia Mayo.  ;)

(...yeah yeah, I know...this one WAS much too easy, wasn't it)

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Right, 'cause as I recall when I watched Balls of Fury at the Pussycat Theater on Melrose years ago, it didn't star either Danny Kaye OR Virginia Mayo.  ;)

(...yeah yeah, I know...this one was much too easy, wasn't it)

I think Linda Lovelace starred in that one LOL

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i've posted this before, but pleaase- do yourself a favor and skip to 1:25 in.

i NEVER GET TIRED OF THIS:

ETA: IT WAS THE "MAN GETTING HIT IN THE GROIN WITH A FOOTBALL" OF ITS DAY

Ya know, in the annuls of moviedom, THIS is probably the ONLY time a toss of a spent firearm ended up with a positive result for the thrower.

(...wow, Billy sure had an arm, didn't he?!...too bad MLB hasn't been formed yet, huh...or the NFL for that matter)

• Haha 1

There is a 2007 comedy about dodgeball called BALLS Of FURY. 
Christopher Walken was in it. 

• Haha 1

I remember BALLS OF FURY!  It was about a demon-possessed manufacturer of tennis balls!  It was GREAT!  :)

BALLS OF FURY would make a great double-bill with PLAYERS!  :blink:

-----------------------------

Maybe I'll watch a Western next . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SLAUGHTER ON 10TH AVENUE  1957 by Arnold Laven with Richard Egan, Walter Matthau,Jan Sterling ,Dan Duryea, Julie Adams and a white haired Charles McGraw. Crimes  &  murder on the NYC waterfront.Very good film ,Dureya is excellent as usual, Adams is wasted. 8/10.   From Universal.

slaughter .jpg

• Thanks 1

HELL'S HOUSE 1932 by Howard Higgin  Bette Davis Pat O'Brien, early film by Bette Davis not for Warner or Universal,story about young kid going to reform school despite being innocent. 5.5/10

davis.jpg

• Thanks 1

D-Day the Sixth of June (1956)

I made it a point to watch this film from the selection of the Memorial Day war films. It’s an odd description, but it’s a boring film that’s not terribly boring. The action does not come until the end, but it is well done for a romantic film. Edmond O’Brien’s performance was fantastic and I was left wishing for more Richard Todd. 

The Nun’s Story (1959)
Every so often I will come across a film that I just have to watch. I’m not the biggest Audrey Hepburn fan, but this was a spectacular film. It’s slow, but it’s a film about a nun, so I can’t knock it for that. I found it nearly impossible to take my eyes away from the screen. Peter Finch gives a great performance as well. 

Uncertain Glory (1944)

I’ve missed this one the past few times it has been shown on TCM, so I had to watch it this time round. Unfortunately, the film is incredibly boring. I was hoping for some WWII underground/spy action, but it turned out to be more of a psychological crime film, with a bit of romance thrown in for no apparent reason. With that being said, Errol Flynn’s performance is one of the best of his career and Paul Lukas is fantastic alongside Flynn. It’s worth watching for the acting alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I’ve missed this one the past few times it has been shown on TCM, so I had to watch it this time round. Unfortunately, the film is incredibly boring. I was hoping for some WWII underground/spy action, but it turned out to be more of a psychological crime film, with a bit of romance thrown in for no apparent reason.

It could be worse, see The Fallen Sparrow.

8 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

D-Day the Sixth of June (1956)

I made it a point to watch this film from the selection of the Memorial Day war films. It’s an odd description, but it’s a boring film that’s not terribly boring. The action does not come until the end, but it is well done for a romantic film. Edmond O’Brien’s performance was fantastic and I was left wishing for more Richard Todd. 

The Nun’s Story (1959)
Every so often I will come across a film that I just have to watch. I’m not the biggest Audrey Hepburn fan, but this was a spectacular film. It’s slow, but it’s a film about a nun, so I can’t knock it for that. I found it nearly impossible to take my eyes away from the screen. Peter Finch gives a great performance as well. 

Uncertain Glory (1944)

I’ve missed this one the past few times it has been shown on TCM, so I had to watch it this time round. Unfortunately, the film is incredibly boring. I was hoping for some WWII underground/spy action, but it turned out to be more of a psychological crime film, with a bit of romance thrown in for no apparent reason. With that being said, Errol Flynn’s performance is one of the best of his career and Paul Lukas is fantastic alongside Flynn. It’s worth watching for the acting alone.

I think Uncertain Glory is an unrecognized gem.  It was panned when it was released because it's not a typical Flynn vehicle, but holds up well compared with some of the now-cartoonish WWII films, such as Desperate Journey.  Flynn gives a nuanced and understated performance, and Paul Lukas is always worth watching.  I felt that the young female lead was not especially credible.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rosebette said:

I think Uncertain Glory is an unrecognized gem.  It was panned when it was released because it's not a typical Flynn vehicle, but holds up well compared with some of the now-cartoonish WWII films, such as Desperate Journey.  Flynn gives a nuanced and understated performance, and Paul Lukas is always worth watching.  I felt that the young female lead was not especially credible.

Controversial though it may be, I have to disagree. I've never seen UNCERTAIN GLORY, but I have seen GRAND SLAM, WATCH ON THE RHINE, DOWNSTAIRS and a couple other of his movies and I have to say that I do not care for PAUL LUKAS at all.  He's like BELA LUGOSI minus the charisma.

I think maybe Bela cornered the market on HUNGARIAN CHARISMA before fleeing the revolution.

READING UP online in re: the 1970 JESS FRANCO/CHRISTOPHER LEE FILM COUNT DRACULA, I discovered that a black and white experimental film was shot on set at the same time called (I am probably getting it wrong) CUADECO VAMPIR.

This is a nine minute clip- which I gotta say, as someone who is not inclined to like experimental, "arty" stuff- I didn't hate this. It's a vast improvement on FRANCO'S astoundingly pedestrian rendering of the story.

The only dialogue is of LEE reading the end of DRACULA and there is a great scene of him taking out his EYES and TEETH:

1 hour ago, rosebette said:

I agree with your assessment of the performances in this film, rosebette. But there is certainly a big difference between Flynn and Lukas as performers. Flynn was never respected by the critics for his acting (at least, not until Sun Also Rises at the end of his career) but, at his best, as he is in Uncertain Glory, his performances seem spontaneous and natural. He was an understated actor and his acting, unlike that of some others, doesn't date.

By contrast, with a theatre trained actor like Lukas you can often see the wheels turn which, for me, can be a distraction. But I think his performance in this particular film does work.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I remember BALLS OF FURY!  It was about a demon-possessed manufacturer of tennis balls!  It was GREAT!  :)

BALLS OF FURY would make a great double-bill with PLAYERS!  :blink:

-----------------------------

Maybe I'll watch a Western next . . .

And as an aside, it's MY opinion that INSTEAD of "Great balls of fire" , Jerry Lee Lewis was singing a PSA tune about venereal disease, and the song's real title was---(get ready)----- :rolleyes:

"GREAT BALLS AFIRE!"  :o  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1