Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow. A real live full orchestra & people singing without headgear microphones! Wonder how they managed that? Or, more to the point-wonder why they CAN'T manage that today? (when Broadway reopens)

One of my favorite Forbidden Broadway songs is this one, where Ethel Merman returns to chastise current singing trends:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1u8-kTKdmY

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, laffite said:

but his behavior became unnacceptable and maniacal. Oh, but he was in the war, we must sympathize with those who have battle fatigue. Tell that to Laurel. But Laurel is a femme fatale. Just what was that all about with Mr Baker?  Whatever she was (said the other side) she was genuinely afraid and thought that Dixon might kill her. Gosh, they looked so good sitting at the piano bar. too.

This is the first film in which I have strongly disliked a Bogie character. I don't absolutely love either Dix or Laurel, but I feel like I dislike Dix more... His behavior became extremely irrational and explosive, and I honestly had no idea whether the outcome would be positive or negative... Pretty solid film, though. I can put my dislike for Dix aside to admit that lol. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 8:26 AM, Sepiatone said:

Truly LORNA....

The only thing I liked in ROAD HOUSE was the exposure to people of this way talented and oft overlooked musician...

Sepiatone

Saaay, is that Seinfeld playin' the bass in that band???

(...sorry, still like The Doors version better)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

One of my favorite Forbidden Broadway songs is this one, where Ethel Merman returns to chastise current singing trends:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1u8-kTKdmY

I LOVE Forbidden Broadway:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtB09codPAk   🥰  

My 70's-Mad Magazine childhood has an addiction to in-joke ultra-scene-specific parody jokes. Only time I saw it, though, was when they tried road-companying the show to Boston hotel-cabaret, where it pretty much died since nobody got the New-Yorker in-jokes about about Tyne Daly in Gypsy, penny-pinching no-scenery productions of Sweeney Todd, "Jerome Robbins' Broadway" or Mandy Patinkin's overwrought one-man vanity show...But at least they laughed at the Les Miserables song.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still of the Night (1982).

Somebody watched High Anxiety and thought the problem with it is that it was a parody, and that a serious version was needed.  So we get Roy Scheider as Gregory Peck from Spellbound and Meryl Streep as Kim Novak from Vertigo in a murder mystery where Streep's lover (and Scheider's patient) is found murdered.

There are obvious references to Vertigo and Spellbound, along with North by Northwest (Streep and the murder victim work at an auction house); Saboteur's finale; Real Window, and more.  There's also a rip-off of Jacques Tourneur's Cat People when Scheider goes for a walk in Central Park.

Actually, the movie is more entertaining than the above comments make it out to be, and well worth a watch.  Jessica Tandy has a too-brief role as Scheider's mom, also a psychiatrist.

7/10

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 12:34 PM, Fedya said:

Designing Woman (1957).

MGM remade Woman of the Year, because they could.  Lucas McCain gets to essay his native Brooklyn accent as a gangster who threatens sportswriter Gregory Peck.  Lauren Bacall is as bland as ever as the fashion designer Peck hastily marries and who flies off the handle because Peck, horror of horrors, might have had a girlfriend before marrying her.

Competently made, but nothing special.  6/10

I like this much better than: Woman of the Year (1942) because there did not seem to be the constant need to justify itself as an important social statement by including unnatural and unrealistic trauma. 

I love her apartment!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

I LOVE Forbidden Broadway:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtB09codPAk   🥰  

My 70's-Mad Magazine childhood has an addiction to in-joke ultra-scene-specific parody jokes. Only time I saw it, though, was when they tried road-companying the show to Boston hotel-cabaret, where it pretty much died since nobody got the New-Yorker in-jokes about about Tyne Daly in Gypsy, penny-pinching no-scenery productions of Sweeney Todd, "Jerome Robbins' Broadway" or Mandy Patinkin's overwrought one-man vanity show...But at least they laughed at the Les Miserables song.

Eric, Forbidden Broadway usually had at least a couple of versions. One was up-to-the-minute with parodies of new shows, and the other was called the "Midwestern Version," the one with well-known shows so that the audience would get the jokes. Sounds like your Boston audience needed the Midwestern Version.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I like this much better than: Woman of the Year (1942) because there did not seem to be the constant need to justify itself as an important social statement by including unnatural and unrealistic trauma. 

I love her apartment!

Lauren Bacall also wears the most gorgeous clothes in this movie. The white and purple (?) dress she wears with the enormous sheer sleeves would look ridiculous on most people, but Bacall carries it off. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Eric, Forbidden Broadway usually had at least a couple of versions. One was up-to-the-minute with parodies of new shows, and the other was called the "Midwestern Version," the one with well-known shows so that the audience would get the jokes. Sounds like your Boston audience needed the Midwestern Version.

Yep, we got the Sound of Music/King & I version (from the one where they had to start parodying old musicals during the 90's drought):  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lauren Bacall also wears the most gorgeous clothes in this movie. The white and purple (?) dress she wears with the enormous sheer sleeves would look ridiculous on most people, but Bacall carries it off. 

AHEM, do NOT forget DELORES GRAY!!!!

(Posting with my phone so I can’t post any images here right now. Someone else can feel free. )

eta- Although I was surprised by how few really good quality Bing images there are of her in the film

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AHEM, do NOT forget DELORES GRAY!!!!

(Posting with my phone so I can’t post any images here right now. Someone else can feel free. )

eta- Although I was surprised by how few really good quality Bing images there are of her in the film

Dolores Gray, June Allyson & Joan Collins from 'The Opposi… | Flickr

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MOVIELAND continues to beguile me, serving up all sorts of films I have been wanting to see...

and now...

THE NAME OF THE ROSE (1986)

Name_of_rose_movieposter.jpg

I remember they made fun of LEONARD MALTIN on the LASERBLAST episode of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 for giving LASERBLAST (a really bad movie) TWO AND A HALF STARS while awarding THE NAME OF THE ROSE only two; a lot of critics of the time were very dismissive of it- and in a way, I can understand- it's a bit of a meanderer as films go- but damned if it doesn't PULL IT TOGETHER quite nicely at the end.

the version they showed on MOVIELAND had Spanish subtitles (which I actually liked FOR MANY REASONS) and periodically would flash a website name across the middle of the picture (which i DID NOT like)...I am beginning to think MOVIELAND is going to be shut down by the FBI some day soon.

A lot of terrific character actors are having an obvious ball- including WILLIAM HICKEY and (especially) RON PERLMAN, who was just AN UTTER DELIGHT in his role as a passionate, multilingual Hunchback.

The special effects at the end were terrific, as were the sets- I'm not sure what was real and what was built for the film, but there was some OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION DESIGN EITHER WAY.

It's funny that I was ranting about another film with an underage sex scene just yesterday, but there is a REALLY SHOCKING, VERY VERY GRAPHIC (and well-shot) SEX SCENE BETWEEN A 15 YEAR OLD CHRISTIAN SLATER and a 20 year old actress that I don't know what to think about.

F. MURRAY ABRAHAM is in this, but for a surprisingly brief amount of time. He's good- according to the director he was a pain on set, having recently won BEST ACTOR. I really liked his final scene.

 

I really thought it was utterly delightful that motive of the murderer is to cover up the fact that a book of Aristotle's that he was translating was extolling the virtues of COMEDY and LAUGHTER, and he had dedicated his whole life to NEVER LAUGHING AT ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY GOD- convinced that the introduction of the notion of laughing at anything would cause the world to lose all order.

this film for me in a very strange way walked right on the border of being a BLACK COMEDY,

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dargo said:

Saaay, is that Seinfeld playin' the bass in that band???

(...sorry, still like The Doors version better)

Was meant to display Healey's astonishing talent.  Doubt that it's Seinfeld playing bass.  ;)  And while Healey does a decent cover of the tune, the original does edge it out.   Now, let's see you CLOSE YOU EYES and play like this!-----

Hell.  I can't do 1/4th as well with BOTH eyes open!  :D 

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

MOVIELAND continues to beguile me, serving up all sorts of films I have been wanting to see...

the version they showed on MOVIELAND had Spanish subtitles (which I actually liked FOR MANY REASONS) and periodically would flash a website name across the middle of the picture (which i DID NOT like)...I am beginning to think MOVIELAND is going to be shut down by the FBI some day soon.

I have...never heard of Movieland.  I thought I knew most of the cheap ones--Tubi, Epix, how many even remember "Viewster"?--but vas ist das "Movieland"?  (Cable or streaming?)  That it may have just been bootlegging movies off of Pirate Bay or YouTube comes as ABSOLUTELY no surprise.

Me, I get most of my back-alley movie ephemera off of Amazon Prime, which is just as "scavenger" for showing just about any old darn thing they can lay hands on, but, for the most part, stays legit.  (If they do show a washed-out 4:3 VHS print of something with dubious ownership and hastily created cover graphic, that disappears off their queue quickly and without warning, it's the distributor's fault, not theirs.

17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE NAME OF THE ROSE (1986)

I remember they made fun of LEONARD MALTIN on the LASERBLAST episode of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 for giving LASERBLAST (a really bad movie) TWO AND A HALF STARS while awarding THE NAME OF THE ROSE only two; a lot of critics of the time were very dismissive of it- and in a way, I can understand- it's a bit of a meanderer as films go- but damned if it doesn't PULL IT TOGETHER quite nicely at the end.

Umberto Eco's book was a long, arcane, rambling exploration of medieval Church culture with just the mystery to tie it together; it was a huge hit on the intellectual circuits, so critics were fresh to complain that the movie had "dumbed it down" to just a PBS Brother Cadfael mystery.  But, Sean Connery as said detective monk ain't bad, if that's what you walked into the movie to see.

As for hiring Quest for Fire directorJean-Jacques Annaud to do it, he's not big on dialogue or clarity, and captured most of the surreal period atmosphere of medieval Church-art, even if the clarity of storytelling...suffered somewhat.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

TAXI DRIVER (1976) *Score: 2.5/5* 

I don't really know how to explain myself with this one, other than I found myself indifferent to the plot and the characters. Sorry, Scorsese. 

The ending of Taxi Driver explained

THE BIG HEAT (1953) *Score: 3.5/5* 

Noir starring Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame. I enjoyed this one. There were certain elements that made it seem sort of ahead of its time in a way (I won't go into details so as not to spoil the plot for those who haven't seen it). This one was solid. 

The Big Heat review – Fritz Lang's 1953 thriller retains its ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the version they showed on MOVIELAND had Spanish subtitles (which I actually liked FOR MANY REASONS) and periodically would flash a website name across the middle of the picture (which i DID NOT like)...I am beginning to think MOVIELAND is going to be shut down by the FBI some day soon.

  Reveal hidden contents

I really thought it was utterly delightful that motive of the murderer is to cover up the fact that a book of Aristotle's that he was translating was extolling the virtues of COMEDY and LAUGHTER, and he had dedicated his whole life to NEVER LAUGHING AT ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY GOD- convinced that the introduction of the notion of laughing at anything would cause the world to lose all order.

this film for me in a very strange way walked right on the border of being a BLACK COMEDY,

Either the copyright cops, or trolls pretending to be them, recently knocked out two of my favorite backchannel movie sources. I wouldn't be surprised if they next went after MOVIELAND and certain similar Roku channels with...similar attitudes towards streaming rights. Enjoy it while it lasts.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know whenever I've watched three movies on TCM back to back, but I did last night with A Man Called Adam, Young Man With a Horn, and The Five Pennies. All three, which take the form of biographies of a trumpeter or cornet player,  were definitely worth watching and listening to. The only one I'd seen before was Young Man With a Horn, which I liked better this time around, probably because I knew how the love triangle was going to work out and I could concentrate more on the music and cinematography. I'd rather post separately about each film rather than have a really long post about all three.

Louis Armstrong was in all three films. I hadn't realized that Louis Armstrong appeared in enough movies he could have his own SUTS day. When Louis gives his seal of approval to one of our musicians, then the audience knows that the guy really has the chops. In his commentary with Eddie Muller, Monty Alexander said that Bing Crosby was the one who brought Louis Armstrong to the attention of the wider audience. Crosby's enormous popularity at the time made it easier for Armstrong to be accepted.

I was really impressed by the cinematography of Young Man With a Horn, the direction by Michael Curtiz, and the set design. Lauren Bacall's apartment is full of interesting details. Kirk Douglas has one of his best roles; Lauren Bacall is well-cast as the unsympathetic intellectual who, for 1950, can be identified by some as a lesbian; Doris Day, cute as can be, sings with the art that conceals art. She never seems to be styling a song; every note sounds effortless, perfectly in place, and just what the songwriter intended. Monty Alexander mentioned that as a child he was deeply moved by her singing of "With a Song in My Heart" in this film. Hoagy Carmichael plays the sympathetic friend perfectly, just as he did in Night Song with Dana Andrews. Juano Hernandez, who has become one of my favorites, plays the trumpeter who teaches and inspires the young man who becomes Kirk Douglas. The structure of the film is familiar, but the execution surpasses the material.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had never heard of A Man Called Adam (1966), directed by Leo Penn, father of Sean Penn. Leo Penn directed a lot of TV and made one other feature film, Judgment in Berlin (1988). The film follows the troubled path of a great jazz trumpeter (Sammy Davis Jr.). Most of the characters are three-dimensional, and the cast is great. Cicely Tyson is the smart woman, a civil rights activist, who makes the foolish choice of getting involved with this talented but self-destructive man. Ossie Davis is the wise older man who tries to counsel her against this. Peter Lawford has some great opportunities as Davis' agent, and he's in the most memorable scene in the film. Frank Sinatra Jr. is an aspiring trumpeter who wants to learn from his idol.

One of the biggest accomplishments of the film is showing how the African-American characters look at the white characters, and the film doesn't take the easy path of black = good and white = bad. Cicely Tyson brings believability to every moment she's on screen, and Sammy Davis Jr. makes his juicy big scenes work. Johnny Brown and Ja'net Dubois have some good scenes in supporting roles.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2020 at 6:29 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

AHEM, do NOT forget DELORES GRAY!!!!

(Posting with my phone so I can’t post any images here right now. Someone else can feel free. )

eta- Although I was surprised by how few really good quality Bing images there are of her in the film

I saw Dolores Gray in Follies in London in 1987.  She also performed her big number from Follies in that years Royal Variety Show, which was televised:

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 7:55 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

MOVIELAND continues to beguile me, serving up all sorts of films I have been wanting to see...

and now...

THE NAME OF THE ROSE (1986)

 

the version they showed on MOVIELAND had Spanish subtitles (which I actually liked FOR MANY REASONS) and periodically would flash a website name across the middle of the picture (which i DID NOT like)...I am beginning to think MOVIELAND is going to be shut down by the FBI some day soon.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

I really thought it was utterly delightful that motive of the murderer is to cover up the fact that a book of Aristotle's that he was translating was extolling the virtues of COMEDY and LAUGHTER, and he had dedicated his whole life to NEVER LAUGHING AT ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY GOD- convinced that the introduction of the notion of laughing at anything would cause the world to lose all order.

this film for me in a very strange way walked right on the border of being a BLACK COMEDY,

I liked the book and I liked the movie but I had an odd dissociation with them. It had been several years since I had read the book and when I watched the movie I questioned if it was simply a case of a somewhat similar story sharing a title and that it had not been based on the novel. I have come to believe that it is due to the novel concentrating on the politics within religion at the time and the story was merely a sort of icing to glue it into a coherent piece and attract readers while the movie included only hints to the political background. 

I installed: Movieland on our Roku and checked the titles available. They all seem to be newer movies. I believe that Roku is currently less tyrannical concerning content ownership than they were a few years ago when a government called them to task for allowing illegal content. I have found several movies on the: TV Time channels which contain the TCM logo. I have found several also with Spanish subtitles and one which I believe is Portuguese subtitles. It is obvious that they will accept content from any source. I have heard it said many times that copyright law is the most convoluted and illogical of all practices. It may be that these channels hope to exploit the reluctance of some content owners to be dragged into that morass.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SansFin said:

I installed: Movieland on our Roku and checked the titles available. They all seem to be newer movies. I believe that Roku is currently less tyrannical concerning content ownership that they were a few years ago when a government called them to task for allowing illegal content. I have found several movies on the: TV Time channels which contain the TCM logo. I have found several also with Spanish subtitles and one which I believe is Portuguese subtitles. It is obvious that they will accept content from any source. I have heard it said many times that copyright law is the most convoluted and illogical of all practices. It may be that these channels hope to exploit the reluctance of some content owners to be dragged into that morass.  

There was no such thing as streaming TV when Roku first started selling its boxes, and most of its "channels" were homegrown and thrown together from the same back-alley content we find today on cheap streaming services.

Now that it's a business, they mostly stick to just airing the channels, but old habits for creating their own are hard to break.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

TAXI DRIVER (1976) *Score: 2.5/5* 

I don't really know how to explain myself with this one, other than I found myself indifferent to the plot and the characters. Sorry, Scorsese. 

Thank you for saying that so succinctly. I felt the same way but couldn't articulate it as well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SansFin said:

 

I installed: Movieland on our Roku and checked the titles available. They all seem to be newer movies. I believe that Roku is currently less tyrannical concerning content ownership that they were a few years ago when a government called them to task for allowing illegal content. I have found several movies on the: TV Time channels which contain the TCM logo. I have found several also with Spanish subtitles and one which I believe is Portuguese subtitles. It is obvious that they will accept content from any source. I have heard it said many times that copyright law is the most convoluted and illogical of all practices. It may be that these channels hope to exploit the reluctance of some content owners to be dragged into that morass.  

 

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

There was no such thing as streaming TV when Roku first started selling its boxes, and most of its "channels" were homegrown and thrown together from the same back-alley content we find today on cheap streaming services.

Now that it's a business, they mostly stick to just airing the channels, but old habits for creating their own are hard to break.

yeah, you both seem to get what MOVIELAND is all about- it has been just UNCANNY how many films I have wanted to see or been interested in seeing that have shown up on the channel since i stumbled over it (looking for JAWS of all things)...it seems to have a very PSYCHOTRONIC-style leaning, a LOT of unusual/exploitation/horror/offbeat films from the 70's and 80's (if that is what you mean as "newer"- SansFin...) and the nutty thing is that some of the films I have watched have had deleted scenes included or been the overseas versions (ie the version of VANISHING POINT that I saw was the Euro version that had CHARLOTTE RAMPLING'S scene OR the restored original unhappy ending of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS- which I did not even know HAD BEEN restored and re-included!

I was wondering for a bit if it was not something that was formulated by my internet search habits as A LOT of the movies they offer are films I have done youtube or wiki or bing searches for.

Just off the top of my head (AND i KNOW I AM FORGETTING SOME STUFF) MOVIELAND has offered or is currently offering: THE GOONIES, THE LOST BOYS, COMING TO AMERICA, MURDER BY DEATH, both GODFATHERS, JAWS, DOG DAY AFTERNOON, FRIGHT NIGHT, THE ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES (which I know is on youtube but i always watch it anyway) SCARS OF DRACULA, THE WICKER MAN (1970'S VERSION), VANISHING POINT, PLAY IT AS IT LAYS, THE FOG (1980), THE MIDNIGHT HOUR (which was a TV movie!), BEETLEJUICE, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, FROM BEYOND (and right after it aired on TCM!), BLUE VELVET, THE COMPANY OF WOLVES, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, VAULT OF HORROR, CHRISTINE and again- some things I am not even thinking of right now.

it and weed are about the only things getting me through the present crisis(es)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

 

yeah, you both seem to get what MOVIELAND is all about- it has been just UNCANNY how many films I have wanted to see or been interested in seeing that have shown up on the channel since i stumbled over it (looking for JAWS of all things)...it seems to have a very PSYCHOTRONIC-style leaning, a LOT of unusual/exploitation/horror/offbeat films from the 70's and 80's (if that is what you mean as "newer"- SansFin...) and the nutty thing is that some of the films I have watched have had deleted scenes included or been the overseas versions (ie the version of VANISHING POINT that I saw was the Euro version that had CHARLOTTE RAMPLING'S scene OR the restored original unhappy ending of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS- which I did not even know HAD BEEN restored and re-included!

I was wondering for a bit if it was not something that was formulated by my internet search habits as A LOT of the movies they offer are films I have done youtube or wiki or bing searches for.

Just off the top of my head (AND i KNOW I AM FORGETTING SOME STUFF) MOVIELAND has offered or is currently offering: THE GOONIES, THE LOST BOYS, COMING TO AMERICA, MURDER BY DEATH, both GODFATHERS, JAWS, DOG DAY AFTERNOON, FRIGHT NIGHT, THE ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES (which I know is on youtube but i always watch it anyway) SCARS OF DRACULA, THE WICKER MAN (1970'S VERSION), VANISHING POINT, PLAY IT AS IT LAYS, THE FOG (1980), THE MIDNIGHT HOUR (which was a TV movie!), BEETLEJUICE, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, FROM BEYOND (and right after it aired on TCM!), BLUE VELVET, THE COMPANY OF WOLVES, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, VAULT OF HORROR, CHRISTINE and again- some things I am not even thinking of right now.

it and weed are about the only things getting me through the present crisis(es)

I put the 'laugh' emoji with this post based on your last line!  Thanks for the suggestion to add Movieland TV on my Roku system.  I plan on watching "The Name of the Rose", which I haven't seen in at least 30 or so years!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I put the 'laugh' emoji with this post based on your last line!  Thanks for the suggestion to add Movieland TV on my Roku system.  I plan on watching "The Name of the Rose", which I haven't seen in at least 30 or so years!

hope you don't mind the Spanish subtitles!

(they were a fun refresher for me as I took it for years in school, but never get to speak it anymore. Plus, since the movie is in so many languages- including Latin- they were useful.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...