Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 10:58 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I actually kinda like DESIGNING WOMAN and its unusual structure.  I also like the way Peck says "Marilla." Also, DELORES GREY (sp?) is fabby.

I would go so far as to say that I dislike WOMAN OF THE YEAR, neither Tracy nor (especially) HEPBURN is likeable and the kitchen-disaster-ending is dumb.

Also, that poor Greek orphan.

Both Tess (Hepburn) and Sam (Tracy) could have handled that situation much better.

No matter how angry he was with Tess about taking in the Greek boy without his consent, Sam should have made more of an effort to be sensitive with the boy. It wasn't the child's fault that Tess went behind Sam's back.

On the other hand, Tess really had some nerve taking in the boy WITHOUT talking it over with Sam first. Sam did have a right to be mad at her about that, he was just wrong in the way he treated the child.

• Like 1

PULP FICTION (1994) *Score: 4/5* 

Despite the story being non-linear, I was able to piece together the plot for the most part, and enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. This is not my favorite Tarantino by any means (Hateful Eight #1), but I am attempting to finish his directorial filmography. I have 3 remaining: Death Proof, Reservoir Dogs, and Django Unchained. I think I am most excited for Death Proof... 

25 Facts About 'Pulp Fiction' on its 25th Anniversary - Maxim

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Both Tess (Hepburn) and Sam (Tracy) could have handled that situation much better.

No matter how angry he was with Tess about taking in the Greek boy without his consent, Sam should have made more of an effort to be sensitive with the boy. It wasn't the child's fault that Tess went behind Sam's back.

On the other hand, Tess really had some nerve taking in the boy WITHOUT talking it over with Sam first. Sam did have a right to be mad at her about that, he was just wrong in the way he treated the child.

DAMN STRAIGHT.

Somewhere out there in GREEK CINEMA, maybe there is a BRILLIANT COMING OF AGE STORY about an ADORABLE WAR ORPHAN who is taken in and then rejected by a couple of WELL-MEANING(ISH) ELITIST AMERICAN IDIOTS who then goes on to a rich and happy life because of it.

it actually brings to mind the recent KERFUFFLE over the youtuber who adopted the autistic Chinese baby and then "re-homed" him...or the time EDINA MONSOON decided to get revenge on SAFFRON by adopting a RUMANIAN BABY.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMN STRAIGHT.

Somewhere out there in GREEK CINEMA, maybe there is a BRILLIANT COMING OF AGE STORY about an ADORABLE WAR ORPHAN who is taken in and then rejected by a couple of WELL-MEANING(ISH) ELITIST AMERICAN IDIOTS who then goes on to a rich and happy life because of it.

it actually brings to mind the recent KERFUFFLE over the youtuber who adopted the autistic Chinese baby and then "re-homed" him...or the time EDINA MONSOON decided to get revenge on SAFFRON by adopting a RUMANIAN BABY.

m2U0vqM.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

somewhere out there in GREEK CINEMA, maybe there is a BRILLIANT COMING OF AGE STORY about an ADORABLE WAR ORPHAN who is taken in and then rejected by a couple of WELL-MEANING(ISH) ELITIST AMERICAN IDIOTS who then goes on to a rich and happy life because of it. BECOME AN UNSTOPPABLE, ALL-POWERFUL, MEGALOMANIACAL SHIPPING TYCOON WHO BRINGS THE WESTERN WORLD TO ITS FEET BY STAGING AN EMBARGO THAT CRIPPLES TRADE, STARVES THOUSANDS AND ENDS GOVERNMENTS!!!!

(second draft)

11 hours ago, EricJ said:

There was no such thing as streaming TV when Roku first started selling its boxes, and most of its "channels" were homegrown and thrown together from the same back-alley content we find today on cheap streaming services.

Now that it's a business, they mostly stick to just airing the channels, but old habits for creating their own are hard to break.

I saw at one time that there were services which provided the necessary software and lists of contacts for both acquiring rights to content and to selling commercial time. It was one-stop service for creating your own Roku channel on a rainy Sunday afternoon. There were for a long time channels which were based on that software template and had content in the Public Domain but which did not have the commercials activated. I was told at one time that there was a minimum number of viewings per day before any advertiser would deal with you. I have noticed that these orphans have slowly disappeared.

Roku has established the Roku Channel in all its spineless, gaudy glory. I noticed that it has recently added links to other channels and acts as a clearinghouse to subscribe to other channels. It is all quite sad.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 7:51 PM, kingrat said:

Wow, you're right, Tiki. She does have big hands. The camera angle and the dress are both very unflattering. The dress makes her look flat-chested and draws attention to her arms

I have to disagree with all this Joan dissing. I thought she looked great in the film. (though I agree this particular still is not a good one for her) The hands thing is an illusion. When you are pressing down on your palms the hands spread out and appear larger as the bottom stretches out to the side making the hand look wider. As for Joan looking like bloated Andrew's mother. NO WAY (I know someone else said this). Joan was always thin during her career and after (perhaps as a contrast to Olivia who put on the poundage as she got older).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...it seems to have a very PSYCHOTRONIC-style leaning, a LOT of unusual/exploitation/horror/offbeat films from the 70's and 80's (if that is what you mean as "newer"- SansFin...) and the nutty thing is that some of the films I have watched have had deleted scenes included or been the overseas versions (ie the version of VANISHING POINT that I saw was the Euro version that had CHARLOTTE RAMPLING'S scene OR the restored original unhappy ending of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS- which I did not even know HAD BEEN restored and re-included!

it and weed are about the only things getting me through the present crisis(es)

That is what I mean. I mostly wish to watch movies of the 1930s to 1950s. I most often look for movies of the 1960s and 1970s only within specific genres. I select individual movies of the 1980s and 1990s. I must have several good reasons before watching a newer movie.

The: TV Time channels are to me what: Movieland is to you. The Mad Miss Manton (1938), the Torchy Blane series of the late 1930s and Gene Tierney movies of the 1940s are typical of what I seek and are often so very difficult to find.

Your last statement reminds me of: Freewheelin' Franklin's observation: "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I have to disagree with all this Joan dissing. I thought she looked great in the film. (though I agree this particular still is not a good one for her) The hands thing is an illusion. When you are pressing down on your palms the hands spread out and appear larger as the bottom stretches out to the side making the hand look wider. As for Joan looking like bloated Andrew's mother. NO WAY (I know someone else said this). Joan was always thin during her career and after (perhaps as a contrast to Olivia who put on the poundage as she got older).

FONTAINE had a thing for strapless and one-strap gowns as well as chignons and falls as she got older, I dig this look from 1977:

oscars-1978-sound-56c8bca15f9b5879cc44ba

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SansFin said:

That is what I mean. I mostly wish to watch movies of the 1930s to 1950s. I most often look for movies of the 1960s and 1970s only within specific genres. I select individual movies of the 1980s and 1990s. I must have several good reasons before watching a newer movie.

I respect this. For a VERY long time I did not watch anything made after 1968...I still hardly EVER watch anything made since 2000

in recent years though I have really, really enjoyed watching offbeat, underground, exploitation, slasher, trash FILMS OF THE 1970S, 80'S and (to a degree) 90s...it's honestly a form of shock therapy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I respect this. For a VERY long time I did not watch anything made after 1968...I still hardly EVER watch anything made since 2000

in recent years though I have really, really enjoyed watching "PRURIENT" FILMS OF THE 1970S, 80'S and (to a degree) 90s...it's honestly a form of shock therapy.

I do have a weakness for certain genres which are not meaningfully represented prior to the 1970s. It is simply impossible to find a decent French surrealistic horror sex fantasy prior to Jean Rollin coming onto the scene.

• Thanks 1

Who knew that the Court Jester and Miss Ellie from Dallas would actually make a reasonably good romantic couple? Yes, that's Danny Kaye and Barbara Bel Geddes in The Five Pennies. Color cinematography nominated for Oscar, some great jazz musicians, Danny Kaye doing his comedy shtick, some pathos and self-sacrifice along the way. Louis Armstrong has some memorable moments. Danny Kaye's cornet playing is dubbed by Red Nichols, the character he is playing. Tuesday Weld plays Danny Kaye's daughter as a young teenager, but we mostly see the character as a young girl, played by Susan Gordon.

SPOILER: There is a polio subplot, and we get to see the parents using the Sister Kenny method of wrapping hot towels around the legs of their daughter. The scene where a nurse takes the parents and others into an intensive care unit as she tells them how contagious everything is, and how they must be careful not to touch anything--well, it seemed very timely indeed. This is an entertaining film, well done by everyone concerned.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SansFin said:

I saw at one time that there were services which provided the necessary software and lists of contacts for both acquiring rights to content and to selling commercial time. It was one-stop service for creating your own Roku channel on a rainy Sunday afternoon. There were for a long time channels which were based on that software template and had content in the Public Domain but which did not have the commercials activated. I was told at one time that there was a minimum number of viewings per day before any advertiser would deal with you. I have noticed that these orphans have slowly disappeared.

That's because most of them became On-Demand channels in the pre-streaming Cable 00's.  (And say, whatever DID happen to Something Weird's channel?)

Nowadays, they're like those things that spring up for extra-paywall fees on Amazon, only half of those are the actual content owners or ex-cable channels.

Angels with Dirty Faces Poster

Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) DVD 10/10

Two boyhood pals go into different directions, one becomes a gangster (James Cagney), the other a priest (Pat O'Brien).

It's been a few years since I watched this, it is still great, my favorite Cagney movie and one of my favorite gangster flicks. The first scene is striking, the set of the NY streets with bustling crowds, clotheslines and tenement windows is excellent. Cagney is dynamite as the tough as nails criminal and O'Brien beautifully subtle as the priest. It is also probably the best film of The Dead End Kids (though Dead End (1937) comes close). Billy Halop once again plays the lead kid and Leo Gorcey the biggest wiseguy in the bunch (Cagney had to smack him around for real when he ad libbed). The ending is one of the greatest in film history. 

• Like 2

March 15, 2020 when we were told to sequester at home, my first thought was "we're living in a apocalyptic Stephen King horror story" so figured I might as well reacquaint myself with one and borrowed a huge hardcover version of Stephen King's THE STAND.  The day after finishing it, I started the 1994 TV miniseries which is 6 hours long.

I wasn't disappointed. The mini series is absolutely faithful to the overlong rambling book, only a much better, more succinct story. You lose some of the character's backstories, most notably the musician Larry Underwood's pre-apocalyptic life & the charactors loses some of their color unless you've read the book. In turn, showing the vast empty scenery definitely enhanced the idea of isolation.

The movie was preferable to the book for me to keep the charactors from blending into each other. When first viewing the mini series in '94, I was disappointed by the casting. This time around found the casting just perfect. It was very well acted and well edited making an engaging story.

For those of you who don't know the story...a flu virus has been unleashed that kills people quickly -a worldwide plague that leaves very few immune survivors. The US survivors have strange dreams that instruct them to gather either in Boulder Co for those following God or Las Vegas for those following the Devil. A simple road trip story except there are no utilities and there are dead bodies everywhere, quickly decomposing & mummifying. Survivors must salvage food & supplies from abandoned stores & homes. 

The two cities gather large followings and 4 leaders are sent from the God side for a stand-off with the Devil.

I loved classic actor Ray Walston's work as the "old guy" survivor and never recognised great actress Ruby Dee as God's spiritual leader. Every time I saw Ossie Davis as the Judge...

220px-Ossie_Davis.jpg

all I could see was SNL's Alexis Silver commercial:

an-aarp-amazon-echo-silver-respo.jpg?w=7

The special effects of (devil) Randall Flagg were great- actor Jamey Sheridan's face would morph into a goat's devil head and a gory black eyed face when angry. The dead body props were a bit much, I don't think many people would die in a restaurant or movie theater-they'd die after being sick in bed wouldn't they? 

I spotted a lot of cameos-Kathy Bates, Ed Harris, Karen Abdul Jabbar, John Landis, Sam Raimi and of course goofy Stephen King himself. The movie was fun, watching it in parts like a mini series. Since libraries are closed, the only version I could find was uploaded by a YT Christian Channel. 

The_Stand_(TV_miniseries).jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Two boyhood pals go into different directions, one becomes a gangster (James Cagney), the other a priest (Pat O'Brien).

It's been a few years since I watched this, it is still great, my favorite Cagney movie and one of my favorite gangster flicks. The first scene is striking, the set of the NY streets with bustling crowds, clotheslines and tenement windows is excellent. Cagney is dynamite as the tough as nails criminal and O'Brien beautifully subtle as the priest. It is also probably the best film of The Dead End Kids (though Dead End (1937) comes close). Billy Halop once again plays the lead kid and Leo Gorcey the biggest wiseguy in the bunch (Cagney had to smack him around for real when he ad libbed). The ending is one of the greatest in film history. 

I just love ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, Cagney IS Rocky Sullivan and he and Pat O'Brien work wonderfully together. They always had a deep bond between them in real life and it shows in here particularly well.

The movie's ending is still controversial so I won't bring it up. But it does pack one heck of a wallop no matter which side of the fence you're on about the climax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

March 15, 2020 when we were told to sequester at home, my first thought was "we're living in a apocalyptic Stephen King horror story" so figured I might as well reacquaint myself with one and borrowed a huge hardcover version of Stephen King's THE STAND.  The day after finishing it, I started the 1994 TV miniseries which is 6 hours long.

I wasn't disappointed. The mini series is absolutely faithful to the overlong rambling book, only a much better, more succinct story. You lose some of the character's backstories, most notably the musician Larry Underwood's pre-apocalyptic life & the charactors loses some of their color unless you've read the book. In turn, showing the vast empty scenery definitely enhanced the idea of isolation.

The movie was preferable to the book for me to keep the charactors from blending into each other. When first viewing the mini series in '94, I was disappointed by the casting. This time around found the casting just perfect. It was very well acted and well edited making an engaging story.

For those of you who don't know the story...a flu virus has been unleashed that kills people quickly -a worldwide plague that leaves very few immune survivors. The US survivors have strange dreams that instruct them to gather either in Boulder Co for those following God or Las Vegas for those following the Devil. A simple road trip story except there are no utilities and there are dead bodies everywhere, quickly decomposing & mummifying. Survivors must salvage food & supplies from abandoned stores & homes. 

The two cities gather large followings and 4 leaders are sent from the God side for a stand-off with the Devil.

I loved classic actor Ray Walston's work as the "old guy" survivor and never recognised great actress Ruby Dee as God's spiritual leader. Every time I saw Ossie Davis as the Judge...

220px-Ossie_Davis.jpg

all I could see was SNL's Alexis Silver commercial:

an-aarp-amazon-echo-silver-respo.jpg?w=7

The special effects of (devil) Randall Flagg were great- actor Jamey Sheridan's face would morph into a goat's devil head and a gory black eyed face when angry. The dead body props were a bit much, I don't think many people would die in a restaurant or movie theater-they'd die after being sick in bed wouldn't they? 

I spotted a lot of cameos-Kathy Bates, Ed Harris, Karen Abdul Jabbar, John Landis, Sam Raimi and of course goofy Stephen King himself. The movie was fun, watching it in parts like a mini series. Since libraries are closed, the only version I could find was uploaded by a YT Christian Channel. 

The_Stand_(TV_miniseries).jpg

Sorry, but I'll take the book over the mini-series any day. The characters were so much more complex and relatable and the stories more deep and involving in the novel.

The series left out too much of the best stuff from the book, even with the 8 hours running time. Which is a shame because it did have a fine cast to begin with. I'll give credit where credit is due:  Jamey Sheridan was particularly frightening as Flagg.  And Ruby Dee made a fine Mother Abagail. Gary Sinise made a great Stu Redman. Ray Walston was perfect as Glen Bateman.

Think they could have found someone other than Molly Ringwald as Frannie though. She got on my nerves.

I think THE STAND actually could have worked better as a TV series. I know there was talk they were supposed to remake it but then covid-19 came and put a halt to everything so I don't know if they're still going to do it.

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Angels With Dirty Faces was also an important film in the career of Ann Sheridan. Her gutsy tom boy performance (assisted by great screen chemistry with Cagney) had Warner Bros. soon giving her a buildup as the "Oomph Girl". Sheridan disliked that tag line but went long with it as her career was about to go into high drive. She and Cagney would be co-starred twice more but, unfortunately, missed out on a fourth collaboration when Sheridan refused to participate in The Strawberry Blonde due to a money dispute at the time with Jack Warner. Sheridan was one of the very few leading ladies who could hold her own and was not blown off the screen by Cagney's dynamism. It's wonderful watching the two of them together, one of the great screen teams, even if it is not as celebrated as some others.

Annex%20-%20Sheridan,%20Ann%20(Angels%20

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Angels With Dirty Faces was also an important film in the career of Ann Sheridan. Her gutsy tom boy performance (assisted by great screen chemistry with Cagney) had Warner Bros. soon giving her a buildup as the "Oomph Girl". Sheridan disliked that tag line but went long with it as her career was about to go into high drive. She and Cagney would be co-starred twice more but, unfortunately, missed out on a fourth collaboration when Sheridan refused to participate in The Strawberry Blonde due to a money dispute at the time with Jack Warner. Sheridan was one of the very few leading ladies who could hold her own and was not blown off the screen by Cagney's dynamism. It's wonderful watching the two of them together, one of the great screen teams, even if it is not as celebrated as some others.

Annex%20-%20Sheridan,%20Ann%20(Angels%20

Whose role was Ann supposed to be slated for, Amy (Olivia de Havilland) or Virginia (Rita Hayworth)?

I could see Ann as Virginia (no slight to Rita who was great as the lovely but vain and callous 'perfect' girl) , but I thought Olivia was pitch-perfect for Amy.

12 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Whose role was Ann supposed to be slated for, Amy (Olivia de Havilland) or Virginia (Rita Hayworth)?

I could see Ann as Virginia (no slight to Rita who was great as the lovely but vain and callous 'perfect' girl) , but I thought Olivia was pitch-perfect for Amy.

Rita Hayworth benefited from Sheridan's dispute with the studio. And I agree with you that Olivia de Havilland gave a wonderful performance in the film. She is one of my favourite Cagney leading ladies based on this performance. The scene in which a mellowed Cagney, just released from prison, sits on a park bench with his wife for the first time in years is a sublime demonstration of how restrained performances can make a scene of suppressed emotion all the more poignant. And to think this scene was directed by Raoul Walsh, a man known as an action director.

• Like 1

DARK CITY 1950 by William Dieterle.

Finally watched it, a good crime-noir movie with a great cast: Charlton Heston in his film debut-leading role no less(he is excellent) Lizabeth Scott,Dean Jagger,Viveca Lindfors,Jack Webb ,Henry Morgan( not their Dragnet roles!) others.Whoever decided on Heston made a good bet (Wallis?) Also even if I have seen many of her movies I never thought Scott was really attractive-for me- but in this movie she wears a couple of times a strapless tight fitting dress  to her advantage also I was surprised to hear the word 'psychopath' in a 1950 movie.7.5/10

dark city.jpg

• Like 3

Blondie Poster

Blondie (1938) Movies! channel 4/10

Blondie suspects husband Dagwood is fooling around with another woman.

The first in the long running movie series based on the Chic Young comic strip. This is the first time in many years I have seen a Blondie movie, I used to see them on early morning TV back in the 1970s. This was not as funny as I remember them to be, perhaps since this was the first one and the filmmakers were trying to find their footing. I found much it to be slow and a bit dull, since the film is  a farce I thought it would be a bit faster and funnier. Penny Singleton is cute and charming in the title role. Arthur Lake is a bit more restrained as Dagwood, he seems bewildered and absent minded, not the wackier goofball he would be in later films. Jonathan Hale is Dagwood's boss Mr Dithers, not the boss from hell like in the comic strip but just a standard sourpuss. Larry Simms as cute little Baby Dumpling gets much of the laughs. Perhaps I will check out other films in the series, the Movies! channel shows them every Saturday morning. 

7 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Blondie Poster

Blondie (1938) Movies! channel 4/10

Blondie suspects husband Dagwood is fooling around with another woman.

The first in the long running movie series based on the Chic Young comic strip. This is the first time in many years I have seen a Blondie movie, I used to see them on early morning TV back in the 1970s. This was not as funny as I remember them to be, perhaps since this was the first one and the filmmakers were trying to find their footing. I found much it to be slow and a bit dull, since the film is  a farce I thought it would be a bit faster and funnier. Penny Singleton is cute and charming in the title role. Arthur Lake is a bit more restrained as Dagwood, he seems bewildered and absent minded, not the wackier goofball he would be in later films. Jonathan Hale is Dagwood's boss Mr Dithers, not the boss from hell like in the comic strip but just a standard sourpuss. Larry Simms as cute little Baby Dumpling gets much of the laughs. Perhaps I will check out other films in the series, the Movies! channel shows them every Saturday morning. 

Funny but some say that the cultural norm of the clueless (misguided,   tries hard but mostly fails,  or if one is harsh 'loser'),   husband started with Married With Children,  continuing on with one sit-com after another like Everyone Loves Raymond (and Ray was rather 'reformed' since there was his brother to be the foil) etc..     I.e.  clearly not like the dads I grew up with in Father Knows Best,  The Donna Reed Show,  Leave it to Beaver etc...

Well before all that there was the Blondie serial.    I have seen this first one and  a few others on MOVIES but I like the first one best for the reason that Dagwood is more grounded.    Yea,  bewildered and absent minded,  but not a total goofball.     Of course this comedy format is known for having their "Kramer" but when that is the second lead (like Dagwood),    the show becomes too much of a farce for my taste. 

I watched HORROR OF DRACULA (1958) this morning.

I own this movie on DVD- although I don't have the RESTORED ENDING VERSION that came out (I think only on blu-ray) a few years back, I've watched the COMPLETE final scene on youtube 1000 times.

I watch this movie every time it comes on TCM.

i've probably watched it 5 or more times a year for the last 10 years.

and you know what?

I don't even like it all that much.

Or do I?

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Funny but some say that the cultural norm of the clueless (misguided,   tries hard but mostly fails,  or if one is harsh 'loser'),   husband started with Married With Children,  continuing on with one sit-com after another like Everyone Loves Raymond (and Ray was rather 'reformed' since there was his brother to be the foil) etc..     I.e.  clearly not like the dads I grew up with in Father Knows Best,  The Donna Reed Show,  Leave it to Beaver etc...

Well before all that there was the Blondie serial.    I have seen this first one and  a few others on MOVIES but I like the first one best for the reason that Dagwood is more grounded.    Yea,  bewildered and absent minded,  but not a total goofball.     Of course this comedy format is known for having their "Kramer" but when that is the second lead (like Dagwood),    the show becomes too much of a farce for my taste. 

That's an interesting comparison to later sitcoms. I never thought of the similarity but I see it now. Arthur Lake's Dagwood could have inspired Ozzie Nelson (he even resembles him).