Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

11 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Fortunately, I was able to watch "The Name of the Rose" and practically everyone's favorite campy 1960's drama, "Valley of the Dolls" before Movieland bit the dust.  So, Ms. LornaHansonForbes, it was you that got Movieland removed from Roku systems far and wide, huh?  My initial reaction was the exact same thing Marlene Dietrich said in court when she learned she had been duped by Charles Laughton in "Witness For The Prosecution", and I quote:  'Damn You!'  'Damn You!'  'DAAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN YOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!".  But, as Scarlett O'Hara said more than once, "Fiddle-dee-dee; tomorrow's another day!".   😉

OH BITTER IRONY: THEY HAD GONE WITH THE WIND ON MOVIELAND TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

(Maybe that's what got it cancelled)

• Haha 5

Just finished Zodiac (again). This movie fascinates me. It's hard to believe they never caught him and there are so many opinions as to who he was, or is.  I've done quite a bit of research and while I think it was Arthur Leigh Allen, I'm not sure. There are complete web sites totally dedicated to this case. It's probably second only to the Kennedy assassination in terms of interest and wild theories.  The movie is really well done and follows Greysmith's book almost to the letter. It's a great study of how solving the mystery affected the three main characters . Robert  Greysmith, Paul Avery and Dave Toschi are brilliantly portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr, and Mark Ruffalo.  Kudos to director David Fincher for creating such a great film.  I've always liked movies about serial killers and how detectives catch them after lengthy cat and mouse games. I guess I'm intrigued by this case because the "bad" guy got away with it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoganman1 said:

Just finished Zodiac (again). This movie fascinates me. It's hard to believe they never caught him and there are so many opinions as to who he was, or is.  I've done quite a bit of research and while I think it was Arthur Leigh Allen, I'm not sure. There are complete web sites totally dedicated to this case. It's probably second only to the Kennedy assassination in terms of interest and wild theories.  The movie is really well done and follows Greysmith's book almost to the letter. It's a great study of how solving the mystery affected the three main characters .Robert  Greysmith, Paul Avery and Dave Toschi are brilliantly portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr, and Mark Ruffalo.  I've always liked movies about serial killers and how detectives catch them after lengthy cat and mouse games. I guess I'm intrigued by this case because the "bad" guy got away with it.

They never caught Jack the Ripper either. A lot of speculation on who he was or could have been, but it's never been proved one way or another.

It will probably be the same with the Zodiac killer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

They never caught Jack the Ripper either. A lot of speculation on who he was or could have been, but it's never been proved one way or another.

You're right. I forgot about that case. It's probably a better comparison than the Kennedy assassination. Great point!

My favorite true mystery is Lizzie Borden's case. The law firm that represented her trial is still in business & keeps the legal records in a safe. All connected with the case are long gone. Every 50 (?) years the file becomes available for publication. They have never chosen to disclose the files/information.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Just finished Zodiac (again). This movie fascinates me. It's hard to believe they never caught him and there are so many opinions as to who he was, or is.  I've done quite a bit of research and while I think it was Arthur Leigh Allen, I'm not sure. There are complete web sites totally dedicated to this case. It's probably second only to the Kennedy assassination in terms of interest and wild theories.  The movie is really well done and follows Greysmith's book almost to the letter. It's a great study of how solving the mystery affected the three main characters . Robert  Greysmith, Paul Avery and Dave Toschi are brilliantly portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr, and Mark Ruffalo.  Kudos to director David Fincher for creating such a great film.  I've always liked movies about serial killers and how detectives catch them after lengthy cat and mouse games. I guess I'm intrigued by this case because the "bad" guy got away with it.

That's one brilliant movie. It might have been made in 2007, but it feels like a film made in the early 70s period when it is mostly set. It's a nigh on perfect film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

Everything against Arthur Leigh Allen is circumstantial at best. It had to be Gaikowski.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/SuspectGaikowski.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

APOLOGIES TO ALL OF YOU WHO DOWNLOADED IT RECENTLY AT MY URGING, SORRY TO HAVE OFFERED YOU A CUP OF MANNA FROM HEAVEN ONLY TO HAVE SNATCHED SO SOON!!!!!!

RIP MOVIELAND....SWEET DIGITAL NEPENTHE. YOU WERE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEVER GOT TO FINISH TRON.

My condolences--the copyright cops recently took down a couple of backchannel sources I like, and if anything you want to see pops up on YouTube , better watch it NOW before the whole channel gets deleted.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

Everything against Arthur Leigh Allen is circumstantial at best. It had to be Gaikowski.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/SuspectGaikowski.html

I've read that information and you could be right. I know the movie pushed us all in the direction of Leigh Allen, but the one point I keep going back to is that Michael Mageau picked Allen out of a photo line-up as the guy who shot him. I know it was years later and sometimes eye witness accounts can be wrong. I just think there is way too much circumstantial evidence that points to  Allen.  I get that the DNA and handwriting analysis says it isn't him. In spite of that,  I still think he's the guy. We may never know, but for us amateur sleuths it's fun trying to solve the mystery. 

I will say that Gaikowski looks a lot more like the sketches that witnesses presented than Arthur Leigh Allen.  So I totally respect your conclusion even if I disagree.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

My favorite true mystery is Lizzie Borden's case. The law firm that represented her trial is still in business & keeps the legal records in a safe. All connected with the case are long gone. Every 50 (?) years the file becomes available for publication. They have never chosen to disclose the files/information.

Now that is interesting.  I can still see Elizabeth Montgomery in the title role of the made-for-tv-movie about Lizzie Borden in the 1970's.  I seem to recall there was speculation that she did kill her parents because her father sexually abused her and mom let him get away with it...or something seedy like that.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

oh by the way,

I killed MOVIELAND.

Well, I don't know if it was my posting about it here, but the channel has been removed from ROKU and I am SO ****ING BUMMED I COULD JUST...

I NEVER GOT TO FINISH TRON.

That's okay--The FBI would have probably come for all the customers, next.

Oh, and btw, Tron's still on Disney+.  (The '82 original; don't bother with the ponderous humorless Daft Punk sequel.)  And arguably a better print than Movieland would have had.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Call me annoyingly old-fashioned, but JACK-THE-RIPPER is still the serial killer story- apprehended or no- that gets my attention the most.

(I personally think it was C. AUBREY SMITH.)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(I personally think it was C. AUBREY SMITH.)

Even though he was in South Africa at the time of the murders?  😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, midwestan said:

Now that is interesting.  I can still see Elizabeth Montgomery in the title role of the made-for-tv-movie about Lizzie Borden in the 1970's.  I seem to recall there was speculation that she did kill her parents because her father sexually abused her and mom let him get away with it...or something seedy like that.

I just watched Hellzapoppin (1941.) I'm not sure what I was expecting - I did hear it was pretty wacky - but it far surpassed my wacky expectations. So much fun, though, and a GREAT Lindy Hop scene about 45 minutes in! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 3:37 PM, Hoganman1 said:

Just finished Zodiac (again). This movie fascinates me. (snipped) I've always liked movies about serial killers and how detectives catch them after lengthy cat and mouse games. I guess I'm intrigued by this case because the "bad" guy got away with it.

Based upon Hoganman & snowy CinemaInternational's comments, I watched this last night. I couldn't believe it was 2 and a half hours long...MrTiki said "most movies are over 2 hours long these days"-who knew? I watched it all the way through without falling asleep, so obviously it was a riveting story, well told. I was expecting any minute some big twist, like a detective was suspected, but it was pretty much a straight forward unsolved mystery story. I agree, it definitely captured the time period in clothing, hair styles & set dressing.

It was kind of a relief when the murders stopped being shown, they were horrific, had to leave the TV for a few. My least favorite charactor portrayal was Jake Gyllenhaal as Robert Graysmith who showed only one gape mouthed blank expression the entire movie.

Zodiac2007Poster.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Based upon Hoganman & snowy CinemaInternational's comments, I watched this last night. I couldn't believe it was 2 and a half hours long...MrTiki said "most movies are over 2 hours long these days"-who knew? I watched it all the way through without falling asleep, so obviously it was a riveting story, well told. I was expecting any minute some big twist, like a detective was suspected, but it was pretty much a straight forward unsolved mystery story. I agree, it definitely captured the time period in clothing, hair styles & set dressing.

It was kind of a relief when the murders stopped being shown, they were horrific, had to leave the TV for a few. My least favorite charactor portrayal was Jake Gyllenhaal as Robert Graysmith who showed only one gape mouthed blank expression the entire movie.

Zodiac2007Poster.jpg

I thought the way the case affected Greysmith, Avery and Toschi  in the movie was very interesting. All three became obsessed in different ways. Since Greysmith wrote the book, we saw things through his eyes. I would love to know more about Avery's and Toschi's perspective.  I've read that the Downey portrayal  of Avery wasn't totally accurate. A friend of his said he didn't spiral out of control because of the Zodiac case and  went on to be very active in covering the Patty Hurst case later in his career.  My research also revealed that "Dirty Harry" Callahan and Steve McQueen's character Frank Bullet were based on Dave Toschi.   

• Like 1

One of the more interesting channels on Roku that I added several months ago is 'tubi'.  The channel offers a variety of movies covering different genres, including an extensive list of LGBTQ films.  The most recent of these movies that I watched was called "Five Dances" from 2013.

It's an interesting story about a young dancer from Kansas who has enough talent to perform in New York City and is one of four people chosen to participate in a small show that features five modern interpretive dances.  Most of the film centers on the dance studio where the practice sessions are held.  If you're into modern dance, this film should be right up your alley.  I had no idea what to expect from it, other than the fact that two of the three males in the dance segments were gay and destined to discover their love for each other.

The focus of the movie is basically on Chip (the dancer from Kansas), but the other characters figure prominently in the dance sequences (Katie, Cynthia, Theo--Chip's eventual hook-up, and Anthony).  The four performers were chosen for the show by Anthony who not only instructs them during practice sessions, but will dance with them once their show is given.  You get a glimpse of some of the personal lives of all 5 characters, but those story lines are considerably muted in comparison to the dance segments and the budding relationship between Theo (who's very interested in Chip) and Chip (who is initially very resistant to the idea of having an intimate boyfriend). 

IMDB users rated this film 7.1, and I would put it in the 7-8 out of 10 category as well.  I know nothing of dance and wasn't sure if I'd like this picture or not since I can't relate to being that limber.  If I ever did the splits, you know that I've slipped on an icy sidewalk or parking lot in the winter time!  This is one of those films where the dialog checks in as 'quiet and/or brooding'.  Sometimes those types of movies get on my nerves as they can come off as being smug OR they try to be too 'talky or preachy', but in this case, the tone and timbre of this movie seemed to hit a good balance overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, midwestan said:

One of the more interesting channels on Roku that I added several months ago is 'tubi'. 

Highly recommend this free channel. I'm currently watching the series CYBILL. Netflix interrupts the flow of the show several times with ill placed commercials. Tubi OTOH, only interrupts once and during the same scene fade built into the series for a commercial break originally.

• Like 2

Last night I watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Lombard, Montgomery and Hitchcock - not Brad and Angie) from TCM on demand.  Jeopardy is a definite tonight (even with reruns).  I think my local station (PBS) has Doc Martin tonight and, even in reruns, the series is very enjoyable.  Too afraid to watch Top Chef finale tonight.  I do not stream, but have enough cable channels and local to find something my Mom and I can agree on.  Sometimes, we stumble onto something far too violent (Modern Romance? with Patricia A. and Christian S. - quite the body count - thought I was watching a Quentin T. film).

On 6/16/2020 at 7:33 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

oh by the way,

I killed MOVIELAND.

I doubt very much that your postings here were an issue.

Reddit has subreddit:Roku for all things Roku. One of the moderators of that forum is a representative of Roku. That is nice because you can quickly get an official response to a question, problem or complaint quite quickly.

An enormous downside is that it deprives Roku of plausible deniability. It is obviously quite impossible for them to check the rights status of every movie aired on every channel. They can turn a blind eye to illegal or improper activity and later claim that they had no way of knowing of a the violation. That option disappears when some user in a forum which they actively moderate uses the word: "bootleg" in a post. That brings a possible violation to their attention and they are required by international agreements to investigate. Such an investigation often ends with the channel disappearing.

It was due to that that we lost: XTV which was the most wonderful channel which they ever had and which was most assuredly 100% bootleg content and pirated feeds.

It was approx. three weeks ago that some person used that magic word in a discussion of the video and audio quality of content on: Movieland. The length of time between use of the word and loss of the channel is generally two weeks. Users did begin reporting a week ago that some movies on the channel would not play and that some would begin to play and then drop out. It may be that the owner/operator of: Movieland was scrambling to remove illegal content in hope to forestall being removed but they did not act with sufficient haste.

What do you get when you cross an alligator with an elephant? You get your research funding pulled and a visit from the Ethics Committee. 

Posts more recent than that one predicted loss of the channel because it was probably bootlegged movies because they did not have access to decent copies. That has come to pass.

The only commiseration which I can offer is that you were able to watch saw many wonderful movies  before   the bootleggers and   pirates were official recognized and exiled from Roku.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I doubt very much that your postings here were an issue.

Reddit has subreddit:Roku for all things Roku. One of the moderators of that forum is a representative of Roku. That is nice because you can quickly get an official response to a question, problem or complaint quite quickly.

An enormous downside is that it deprives Roku of plausible deniability. It is obviously quite impossible for them to check the rights status of every movie aired on every channel. They can turn a blind eye to illegal or improper activity and later claim that they had no way of knowing of a the violation. That option disappears when some user in a forum which they actively moderate uses the word: "bootleg" in a post. That brings a possible violation to their attention and they are required by international agreements to investigate. Such an investigation often ends with the channel disappearing.

It was due to that that we lost: XTV which was the most wonderful channel which they ever had and which was most assuredly 100% bootleg content and pirated feeds.

It was approx. three weeks ago that some person used that magic word in a discussion of the video and audio quality of content on: Movieland. The length of time between use of the word and loss of the channel is generally two weeks. Users did begin reporting a week ago that some movies on the channel would not play and that some would begin to play and then drop out. It may be that the owner/operator of: Movieland was scrambling to remove illegal content in hope to forestall being removed but they did not act with sufficient haste.

What do you get when you cross an alligator with an elephant? You get your research funding pulled and a visit from the Ethics Committee. 

Posts more recent than that one predicted loss of the channel because it was probably bootlegged movies because they did not have access to decent copies. That has come to pass.

The only commiseration which I can offer is that you were able to watch saw many wonderful movies  before   the bootleggers and   pirates were official recognized and exiled from Roku.

Thank you, that’s damned beautiful. 

MOVIELAND was like walking into a BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO ca. 1993, AND I LOVED IT and I miss it every day.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, midwestan said:

One of the more interesting channels on Roku that I added several months ago is 'tubi'.

Yeah, they're.....INTERESTING, all right.  🤔

I usually use Amazon Prime when I want to dig up rare B-movie psychotronia on a Friday or Saturday night, but Tubi's collection seems to consist ENTIRELY of the cheap public-domain B-movies that Prime already has on their back-catalog, without (for the most part) those nagging actual commercial big-studio A-movies that show up there as well.  If you're looking for The Magnificent Ambersons, you might want to look elsewhere, but if Amazon Prime doesn't have one of Shout Factory's rare old 60's sci-fi movies or MST3K spinoffs on their free catalogue, or Full Moon Channel's Charles Band and Stuart Gordon direct-to-VHS movies from the 80's, I know where else to look.

If Movieland was like "a Blockbuster from '93", and Amazon Prime is like one of those mom-and-pop VHS stores with the rare obscure tapes in back, Tubi (at least on my PS4 app) is like that grungy all-night VHS rental on the strip mall next to the liquor store, that usually had the WWE videos and the Asylum shark movies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

Yeah, they're.....INTERESTING, all right.  🤔

I usually use Amazon Prime when I want to dig up rare B-movie psychotronia on a Friday or Saturday night, but Tubi's collection seems to consist ENTIRELY of the cheap public-domain B-movies that Prime already has on their back-catalog, without (for the most part) those nagging actual commercial big-studio A-movies that show up there as well.  If you're looking for The Magnificent Ambersons, you might want to look elsewhere, but if Amazon Prime doesn't have one of Shout Factory's rare old 60's sci-fi movies or MST3K spinoffs on their free catalogue, or Full Moon Channel's Charles Band and Stuart Gordon direct-to-VHS movies from the 80's, I know where else to look.

If Movieland was like "a Blockbuster from '93", and Amazon Prime is like one of those mom-and-pop VHS stores with the rare obscure tapes in back, Tubi (at least on my PS4 app) is like that grungy all-night VHS rental on the strip mall next to the liquor store, that usually had the WWE videos and the Asylum shark movies.

C'mon Eric...some of the best movies I ever rented came from a strip mall video place next to a liquor store!  I was particularly fond of the '3 movies for 3 bucks' weekend deals.  I usually picked a comedy, a drama/crime thriller, and a slasher movie just to balance out my state of mind.  ☺️