Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

The Swimmer Poster

The Swimmer (1968) TCM on demand 8/10

A day in the life of a middle aged suburban man (Burt Lancaster) who gets an idea to swim in the pools of all his friends and acquaintances while trekking to his home.

This is the third or fourth time I have seen this, it gets better every time. I believe this is Lancaster's best ever performance. Each encounter gives us another clue to his state of mind. The ending is haunting. Marvin Hamlisch's   score is beautiful too. I recall seeing him on a episode of Mike Douglas's talk show where he showed a clip of this film without the music and then took suggestions from the audience on how the score should be in the scene. I also remember it was the scene where  he jumps some hurdles with the blond girl in the bikini. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Artemis Fowl (2020) - 👎

1180w-600h_040320_artemis-fowl-disneyplu

I guess this one sort of counts as a movie, since this was Disney's entry into the "Quarantine Digital-Exile" race, with cineplex theaters closed for the big summer-tentpole May/June, and making its big debut on Disney+ instead.  That doesn't make it a made-for-Disney-Channel "High School Musical 4", as it's still got a big slick theatrical budget and reasonably fun direction by an actual Kenneth Branagh (who doesn't always make great movies when he's on a paycheck, but still has fun with the budget/design)...But there's still the overwhelming sense you have looking at Universal's "Trolls: World Tour" and Warner's "Scoob", of the studio having safely dodged a major bullet--Yeah, THIS was going to play major theaters near you??  As big-budget live-action Disney misfires go (after all, we can't call it a "flop" if they don't actually sell tickets), it's not the self-indulgent train wreck of "A Wrinkle in Time", or the insufferable studio-concocted nightmares of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" or "Nutcracker & the Four Realms"--It's more like the pleasantly disappointing "John Carter" and "Oz the Great & Powerful",  where there's so much serious SFX ado about nothing, you can't quite remember the movie a day after seeing it.

Like Eoin Colfer's book from Disney's own Hyperion publishing, the series seemed to be groomed from the beginning to be literally "the Next Harry Potter" (yes, that's Josh Gad dressed up as Hagrid, doing his best Robbie Coltrane Northern-voice), despite having no genuinely likable characters, and a setup so elaborate it takes two or three books to get comfortable with.  I was a Harry Potter book fan when that movie opened in '01, so I tried going into this one cold, having only heard part of the first book on long audiobook car trips with the younger relatives:  Branagh tries to jam the entire first book--with either too much explanation or none at all--into Colfer's setup of young 12-yo.  self-described "criminal mastermind" Fowl, a nasty Richie Rich who's been carrying on his father's work of heisting famous artifacts to protect the world from the Fairy Folk...Who, as we see, have their own modern glowing, whizzing Wakandan high-tech army underground, and are mounting an assault on Fowl's family mansion to get a valuable artifact back.  Fowl Sr. has been kidnapped by a faceless Folk villain who wants the artifact, and if Colfer didn't want to reveal who the heck the villain is until later books, the movie never quite gets around to it either, in the hopes of getting the whole movie series.

Part of it's the same problem I had with the book:  Kids dream about going to Hogwarts and playing Quidditch, not outwitting MI6 and running from laser-shooting leprechauns.  Even if Fowl was sympathetic in the book (and that's a stretch), it doesn't quite come off on screen, and our hero not only seems like a privileged snot, at times he unnervingly resembles one of the spoiled blue-eyed Hitler clones from The Boys From Brazil.  (When he first gets the ransom message, we expect him to shout "You kidnapped my dad, you freaked-out maniac!")  A fun Hermione-like girl sidekick from the book is introduced, and we barely even see her for the rest of the movie, while the other eighty-nine minutes has nearly every character at each others' throats in a seven or eight-way CGI-loaded plasma-blasting, window-shattering battle roy-alley game of flag football over a glowing knickknack macguffin that's never sufficiently explained, and if anyone CAN give me a scorecard of what happens in the last climactic twenty or thirty minutes, I'll give them a buck ninety-five.  The impression that I'm getting from the Exiled and Non-Exiled movies of 2020 so far is that it's not so bad that theaters are either closed or showing old movies for now--We don't seem to be missing very much.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Artemis Fowl (2020) - 👎

It was originally going to be in theatres, but it was delayed a time or two, and ended up getting pushed off to streaming. Your view is definitely the consensus on it.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:02 AM, antoniacarlotta said:

I just watched Hellzapoppin (1941.) I'm not sure what I was expecting - I did hear it was pretty wacky - but it far surpassed my wacky expectations. So much fun, though, and a GREAT Lindy Hop scene about 45 minutes in! 

Holy crap! Where???  

• Like 1

Wanna buy a pillow? Nothing down.  Where.  Where did you see this film???

On 6/16/2020 at 5:27 PM, Hoganman1 said:

I've read that information and you could be right. I know the movie pushed us all in the direction of Leigh Allen, but the one point I keep going back to is that Michael Mageau picked Allen out of a photo line-up as the guy who shot him. I know it was years later and sometimes eye witness accounts can be wrong. I just think there is way too much circumstantial evidence that points to  Allen.  I get that the DNA and handwriting analysis says it isn't him. In spite of that,  I still think he's the guy. We may never know, but for us amateur sleuths it's fun trying to solve the mystery. 

I will say that Gaikowski looks a lot more like the sketches that witnesses presented than Arthur Leigh Allen.  So I totally respect your conclusion even if I disagree.

Gaikowski putting an ad for the Mikado in his counter-culture magazine is what did it for me personally. That is such a bizarre thing and something the Zodiac frequently mentioned in his correspondence.

A couple days ago I watched Psycho. The next night I decided to watch Psycho 2. Nothing can top the original, of course, but this movie isn't bad. I thought it started off really well. You pity Norman Bates and really wish people would leave him alone. Someone (more than one someone) is trying to make him crazy again. The first mistake he made was going back to the old house.

But somewhere along the way the movie veered.

SPOILER ALERT

His mother wasn't really his mother. Really?! The climax was kinda dumb, too. He loses his mind, understandably, and Vera Miles' daughter dresses up as his mother so he will listen to her. Norman ends up killing his "real" mother at the end. I liked the movie better when he was rehabilitated and doing his best, despite the town against his being there. The movie needed more Vera Miles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Last night I watched my TCM recording of THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS '56. My second Ronald Neame movie in one week! Wiki describes it as a "British espionage thriller" which is perfect because anything more gives the plot away.

This TCM Premiere was mostly recorded because I love Clifton Webb & Gloria Grahame but not surprisingly, they were not in any scenes together. Both gave outstanding performances along with Stephen Boyd as the German Spy.

This is a true story and very well told. Although a somewhat complicated plot, it's never confusing and it moves along at a quick pace. Intriguing. There's a few underwater submarine scenes and Graham's emotional climactic scene that are nail biters.

Probably the most touching closing scene I've seen in a long time, it brought me to tears.

220px-CBE_AEAColl.jpg

The_Man_Who_Never_Was.jpg

The conversation between the two TCM hosts was fabulous too-they brought up a few of Clifton Webb's interesting personality quirks/demands. So glad I recorded all of it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

A couple days ago I watched Psycho. The next night I decided to watch Psycho 2. Nothing can top the original, of course, but this movie isn't bad. I thought it started off really well. You pity Norman Bates and really wish people would leave him alone. Someone (more than one someone) is trying to make him crazy again. The first mistake he made was going back to the old house.

But somewhere along the way the movie veered.

SPOILER ALERT

His mother wasn't really his mother. Really?! The climax was kinda dumb, too. He loses his mind, understandably, and Vera Miles' daughter dresses up as his mother so he will listen to her. Norman ends up killing his "real" mother at the end. I liked the movie better when he was rehabilitated and doing his best, despite the town against his being there. The movie needed more Vera Miles.

I also like PSYCHO II a lot better than I thought I would. There have been worst sequels.

Like PSYCHO III maybe.....if you thought PSYCHO II ended on a disappointing note, PSYCHO III tops it, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it.

On the other hand, maybe it's inevitable that Norman would revert to his old ways. Real ma or not, she would always have a hold on him, in or out of the grave.  The damage had already been done to him long before the events of the original PSYCHO took place.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Swimmer Poster

The Swimmer (1968) TCM on demand 8/10

A day in the life of a middle aged suburban man (Burt Lancaster) who gets an idea to swim in the pools of all his friends and acquaintances while trekking to his home.

This is the third or fourth time I have seen this, it gets better every time. I believe this is Lancaster's best ever performance. Each encounter gives us another clue to his state of mind. The ending is haunting. Marvin Hamlisch's   score is beautiful too. I recall seeing him on a episode of Mike Douglas's talk show where he showed a clip of this film without the music and then took suggestions from the audience on how the score should be in the scene. I also remember it was the scene where  he jumps some hurdles with the blond girl in the bikini. 

This is a film the started showing up on TCM 5-6(ish) years ago and it seems to have REALLY RESONATED with a lot of posters. 
I saw it when it first showed up, but don’t remember much about the impression it made on me (That’s not saying it’s good or bad, just a lot has happened in the last 5 to 6 years and I can’t recall everything . )

i keep meaning to see it again tho because almost every time it shows, someone posts a rave review. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Holy crap! Where???  

I also have a pressed copy that I bought on Amazon. Universal actually released it believe it or not. 

On 6/18/2020 at 1:02 AM, antoniacarlotta said:

I just watched Hellzapoppin (1941.) I'm not sure what I was expecting - I did hear it was pretty wacky - but it far surpassed my wacky expectations. So much fun, though, and a GREAT Lindy Hop scene about 45 minutes in! 

Edward Albee was taken to see Hellzapoppin on Broadway when he was a boy. He loved it and talked about it throughout his career. Perhaps it influenced his work.

Blondie Meets the Boss Poster

Blondie Meets The Boss (1939) Movies! Channel 7/10

Dagwood quits his job when Mr Dithers cancels his vacation. Blondie is then hired in his place.

The second entry in the Blondie series and this is a very fast and funny one. There are many things going on which is just an excuse for farcical gags but it's OK because most are funny. In addition Blondie's sister Dot arrives with her boyfriend who are jitterbug dance champions. Dagwood goes fishing with his neighbor Marvin (Don Beddoe) who brings along a date for him and Dagwood. Blondie later finds a compromising but innocent photo of her husband with the girl. Baby Dumpling has some of the funniest lines. A hilarious scene has Dagwood accidentally becoming Dot's partner in a jitterbug contest. I'd like to see more in this series now.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Blondie Meets the Boss Poster

Dagwood quits his job when Mr Dithers cancels his vacation. Blondie is then hired in his place.

The second entry in the Blondie series and this is a very fast and funny one. There are many things going on which is just an excuse for farcical gags but it's OK because most are funny. In addition Blondie's sister Dot arrives with her boyfriend who are jitterbug dance champions. Dagwood goes fishing with his neighbor Marvin (Don Beddoe) who brings along a date for him and Dagwood. Blondie later finds a compromising but innocent photo of her husband with the girl. Baby Dumpling has some of the funniest lines. A hilarious scene has Dagwood accidentally becoming Dot's partner in a jitterbug contest. I'd like to see more in this series now.

Keep watching the MOVIES! channel every Saturday morning and you'll eventually see them all. And BTW....

Did you catch Laurel and Hardy's THE MUSIC BOX which began at 8:00 am?

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Keep watching the MOVIES! channel every Saturday morning and you'll eventually see them all. And BTW....

Did you catch Laurel and Hardy's THE MUSIC BOX which began at 8:00 am?

Sepiatone

Yes, I did. One of their funniest, Billy Gilbert was at his blustery best as the man who owns the house. The Laurel & Hardy show they have on Saturday mornings has some good obscure shorts sometimes as well as interviews like their This Is Your Life episode.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I also like PSYCHO II a lot better than I thought I would. There have been worst sequels.

Like PSYCHO III maybe.....if you thought PSYCHO II ended on a disappointing note, PSYCHO III tops it, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it.

On the other hand, maybe it's inevitable that Norman would revert to his old ways. Real ma or not, she would always have a hold on him, in or out of the grave.  The damage had already been done to him long before the events of the original PSYCHO took place.

Psycho II was written by Tom Holland, the unsung genius of 80's horror who gave us "Fright Night" and "Child's Play", and directed by Australian Hitchcock-intern Richard Franklin.  (Even the opening shower-scene recap came out of a alternate-cut storyboard discovered after Hitch's death, and may have been the inspiration for doing the sequel, after Universal didn't know what to do with it--DVD Deleted Scenes didn't exist yet, y'see.)

There ARE no bad movies written/directed by Tom Holland, except for maybe that Whoopi Goldberg one.  (Yes, I even liked "Cloak & Dagger", if even for Dabney Coleman.)   Even the whole "Trying to turn Norman crazy again" plot cleverly hearkens back to Joan Crawford in William Castle's "Straitjacket", thus paying tribute to the old theory about Hitchcock and Castle deliberately trying to rival each other over "Psycho" and "Homicidal".

Psycho III was just Universal studio-vanity, after Anthony Perkins started talking about "tragic" Norman on talk shows, and wanted to turn director.  And let's not even talk about THAT movie's double-reverse twist somersault to try and walk back 2's twist ending and put it back on "Mother" again.

PSYCHO 3 does have that scene with JEFF FAHEY (AND HIS THIGHS IN THE LAMP SCENE)  which was a SEXUAL AWAKENING FOR ME

OIP.w4FA5La7HTuEqYZcLm5cbwAAAA?w=116&h=1

Psycho+III.jpg

AMAZON PRIME tossed me a bone in condolences over the TRAGIC PASSING of MOVIELAND TV.

FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL (1974)- the last of the HAMMER FRANKENSTEINS is on prime right now.

I can't remember if I've seen ti already, I do not think I have...i did not remember anything. I CERTAINLY DID NOT REMEMBER PETER CUSHING'S BUS DRIVER WIG:

frankenstein-and-the-monster-from-hell9.

Which was probably called "The Helen" and picked up for fourpence at a Boot's in Elstree.

STILL, I really like PETER CUSHING and I really admire his commitment to playing BARON FRANKENSTEIN as A REAL D!CK consistently for the entire series. He is really one of the most refreshingly unpleasant and heartless sociopaths of British Cinema.

I have something of an obsession with 1970's SCARS OF DRACULA, and now I feel as if I have seen its true HAMMER COMPANION FILM- they are eye-to-eye with the LURID PHOTOGRAPHY and BRIGHT BRIGHT REDS and thowing some, to be frank, sick sh!t at the wall and seeing if it stuck.

they even have similar poster art:

220px-Scarsofdracula.jpgfrankenstein-and-the-monster-from-hell28

I like how The Monster is different in each one of the series.

6 hours ago, Swithin said:

Hellzapoppin is on YouTube.

Hmm... Three cheers for the customer... The customer is always right...

8 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I also have a pressed copy that I bought on Amazon. Universal actually released it believe it or not. 

Want to buy a pillow? Nuthin down.

9 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

YouTube is exactly where I watched. I would have happily paid to stream it somewhere legitimate, but couldn't find it anywhere. I feel like this movie could really catch on if it were officially rereleased!

8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Do you stream? Roku has a channel called: "TV Time Comedies". They have twenty-eight of the movies ranging from 1938 to 1950. I do not know if the channel is carried by any other streaming medium.

• Thanks 1