Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I came across TWINS OF EVIL (1971)- a HAMMER HORROR i has heretofore not seen- on AMAZON PRIME.

TwinsOfEvil007.jpg

It was- most unexpectedly- an AWFULLY FUN FILM, I liked it even better than VAMPIRE CIRCUS and I like VAMPIRE CIRCUS. As someone who has seen almost all the HAMMER HORRORS, this film played like a portmanteau of most of the standard HAMMER TRADEMARKS- with a dash of WITCHFINDER GENERAL thrown in for funsies. There is LITERALLY a sequence where it's just A POUNDING SCORE as HEAVING BOSOMS and CRUCIFIXES are HURLED AT THE CAMERA- if COUNT FLOYD ever managed to get the rights to this, he would DIE ON THE SPOT of SHEER DELIGHT. 

A PETER CUSHING that I have never seen before plays the local VILLAGE RELIGIOUS NUT, I lost count of how many scenes there are interspersed throughout the film of RIDICULOUSLY SEXY peasant girls being burned at the stake, you'd think after a while either they would move or he'd run out of women with 38 c's and hair down to their waists to immolate.

KATHLEEN BYRON has a role in this, she was so good in BLACK NARCISSUS.

This movie was also filmed at PINEWOOD and not BRAY studios in Elstree  (where most of the HAMMER FILMS were shot) and the sets are vastly superior to a lot of those in most HAMMERS of the seventies.

The ending ventures into BLAZING SADDLES territory and frankly, I loved it.

One of the few Hammer films I have yet seen, but it does sound interesting. Vampire stories always interest me.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

One of the few Hammer films I have yet seen, but it does sound interesting. Vampire stories always interest me.

As long as no one SPARKLES, I'm usually down as well.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

LOL Me too.

I think the TWILIGHT series is the exception to the rule for me. I love my vampires to be badasses!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Patty Duke has a sad:

• Like 1
On 6/23/2020 at 8:13 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Are you familiar with the works of: Jean Rollin? I know that surreal French vampire and zombie movies are not to the taste of all but I often find them interesting.

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Are you familiar with the works of: Jean Rollin? I know that surreal French vampire and zombie movies are not to the taste of all but I often find them interesting.

Have to say I am unfamiliar with the works of Jean Rollin, but maybe I can check them out sometime (assuming they're available somewhere).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Have to say I am unfamiliar with the works of Jean Rollin, but maybe I can check them out sometime (assuming they're available somewhere).

There is a streaming service named: "kanopy" which is a free service for those people whose local library subscribes to it. They have several of his more popular and nearly-mainstream movies.

• Thanks 1

OH YEAH!

i MAYBE Have found a somewhat adequate substitute for movie land TV.

MIDNIGHT PULP is a ROKU add on With a lot of incredibly underground films, A LOT of anime, a few hammer horrors, oddly enough a couple of episodes of RiffTrax, and even VAMPIROS LESBOS! 
watching CUADECUC VAMPIR(?) atm!

I just watched NEW ORLEANS (1947) and then EDDIE MULLER introduced the next film LADY SINGS THE BLUES and states "... DIANA ROSS channeling BILLIE HOLIDAY..."  What?  I gather that ROSS purposely interpreted the songs her own way with no attempt to emulate or imitate HOLIDAY... she sure does NOT "channel" HOLIDAY

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

MIDNIGHT PULP is a ROKU add on With a lot of incredibly underground films, A LOT of anime, a few hammer horrors, oddly enough a couple of episodes of RiffTrax, and even VAMPIROS LESBOS! 
watching CUADECUC VAMPIR(?) atm!

Oo, which anime?  If it's Roku-made channel, it's probably the same "Retro Crush"  package of 80's-retro anime now playing Amazon Prime.  (Which includes a chance to watch the early English dub of "Project A-Ko", if you never came across it in anime's pre-mainstream years.  You have been warned of extreme silliness.)

And if they've got RiffTrax, I'm guessing the lineup is similar to Tubi's, which is almost 90% midnight pulp.

Black Legion (1937)

I don’t have a lot to say about this film other than I was able to tick off another Bogart film.

Hardcore (1979)

Liam Neesom gives a really good performance in this— whoops, wrong film. I honestly have no interest in this era of film, but I really enjoyed this. It’s very, very gritty and George C. Scott is a great actor. It’s actually my first Scott film and I’ll have to seek out some more of his work. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Oo, which anime?  If it's Roku-made channel, it's probably the same "Retro Crush"  package of 80's-retro anime now playing Amazon Prime.  (Which includes a chance to watch the early English dub of "Project A-Ko", if you never came across it in anime's pre-mainstream years.  You have been warned of extreme silliness.)

And if they've got RiffTrax, I'm guessing the lineup is similar to Tubi's, which is almost 90% midnight pulp.

I downloaded Tubi and checked it out and absolutely despised it. Gave it one star rating and deleted it.

Keep in mind these titles are kind of hard to read, And I am by no means an anime aficionado, but the first few entries in the anime selection on midnight pulp are: DEMON LORD DANTE, ZOMBIE LOAN, BLUE SUBMARINE NO 6, DEVIL LADY, THE PRINCRSS AND THE PILOT and 07 GHOST. (Those are just the first ones in the lineup, there are probably 25 or more titles in the anime section)
I don’t know what any of those titles are about, but I would really say that a good 30% of what midnight pulp shows is weird Japanese stuff anime and live action. 
What I really hate about trying to find a substitute for movie land has been all these thousands of Add-on  channels with similar names that you have to download to be able to see what they offer and once you download them and open them up it’s all just TERROR TRAIN, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, PROM NIGHT and A bunch of public domain stuff- Basically every last one of these channels is just the contents of that “50 great horror films” DVD that came out a few years ago.

MIDNIGHT PULP Seems a little different in that it has all that stuff, but a lot of other genuinely off-the-wall choices that the other 10,000 channels do not.

**I also did not mention that there are commercials and to watch the really raunchy titles you have to register. 
But it still head and shoulders over all those other add-on channels’ pathetic catalogs.

6 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

Black Legion (1937)

I don’t have a lot to say about this film other than I was able to tick off another Bogart film.

Hardcore (1979)

Liam Neesom gives a really good performance in this— whoops, wrong film. I honestly have no interest in this era of film, but I really enjoyed this. It’s very, very gritty and George C. Scott is a great actor. It’s actually my first Scott film and I’ll have to seek out some more of his work. 

Re: HARDCORE

Your TAKEN reference is SPOT ON And I laughed out loud. The film itself just seems so derivative of many films that came before (And I realize this is an unfair critique but) after as well. Not just TAKEN but JOE, THE SEARCHERS, TAXI DRIVER and CHINATOWN (The ending was similar, happier, but similar)

From your last statement about never having seen a GC Scott film, I assume that you have never seen DR STRANGELOVE, Which is a somewhat polarizing film although I’ve come to like it overtime. It is completely inarguable though that George C Scott is one of the absolute best things in it and his performance is absolutely hilarious.

David and Lisa Poster

David And Lisa (1962) DVD 10/10

A boy and girl in a school for mentally ill teenagers strike up a friendship.

I just rewatched this again, from my favorite year in film 1962. Keir Dullea plays David who has anger issues and a extreme phobia about being touched. Janet Margolin is Lisa, a schizophrenic girl who talks in rhyme. This movie just draws me in every time. It was well directed by Frank Perry (I recently re watched another of his films The Swimmer). There are some dream sequences which are quite disturbing, even today. Some interesting supporting actors like Clifton James as a staff therapist (he would be Carr the Floorwalker in Cool Hand Luke). Jaime Sanchez is another of the students, in 1969 he would be one of The Wild Bunch. Another troubled teen is Karen Gorney, she would be John Travolta's love interest in Saturday Night Fever (1977).

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I just watched NEW ORLEANS (1947) and then EDDIE MULLER introduced the next film LADY SINGS THE BLUES and states "... DIANA ROSS channeling BILLIE HOLIDAY..."  What?  I gather that ROSS purposely interpreted the songs her own way with no attempt to emulate or imitate HOLIDAY... she sure does NOT "channel" HOLIDAY

Especially when compared to Audra McDonald's turn in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I downloaded Tubi and checked it out and absolutely despised it. Gave it one star rating and deleted it.

Keep in mind these titles are kind of hard to read, And I am by no means an anime aficionado, but the first few entries in the anime selection on midnight pulp are: DEMON LORD DANTE, ZOMBIE LOAN, BLUE SUBMARINE NO 6, DEVIL LADY, THE PRINCRSS AND THE PILOT and 07 GHOST. (Those are just the first ones in the lineup, there are probably 25 or more titles in the anime section)
I don’t know what any of those titles are about, but I would really say that a good 30% of what midnight pulp shows is weird Japanese stuff anime and live action. 

Yeah, most of those are either not in fan-demand, or low-rent offal from Funimation.com, which occasionally rents out some titles to other services.
The free "Retro Crush" titles on Amazon Prime tend to be more of the late 80's features, some of which are considered fan classics--I already IJW'ed Beautiful Dreamer a while back and mentioned the screwball Project A-Ko, but there's also the artsy but watchable (for the music) Robot Carnival, the iconic series-origin Arcadia of My Youth, Ghost in the Shell 2.0, the tweaked upgrade of the 90's movie that got a bad Scarlett Johansson remake, Card Captor Sakura, a cute movie version of the show stuck with its horrendous 90's Pokemon-style kids'-afternoon dub, and Adieu, Galaxy Express 999, the sequel to the regular GE999 movie that should be watched first, but they're not streaming for free anymore.

And yes, I was ready to dump Tubi after one glance, too, but my secret back-of-the-VHS-store urges still keep it around just in case.  'Nuff said.  😉

What I really hate about trying to find a substitute for movie land has been all these thousands of Add-on  channels with similar names that you have to download to be able to see what they offer and once you download them and open them up it’s all just TERROR TRAIN, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, PROM NIGHT and A bunch of public domain stuff- Basically every last one of these channels is just the contents of that “50 great horror films” DVD that came out a few years ago.

Welcome to streaming, and, need I add, original Roku channels.

Back in the birth of DVD, we learned our Public-Domain Lists by heart, as seeing Night of the Living Dead or A Little Princess on a 50 Greatest collection was the quickest way to spot a low-rent company pumping out $5 disks on the cheap.  And wherever a new technology surfaces (like streaming did in '09, before Netflix figured out how to stream to the living rooms), the PD Scavenges will always circle.

• Thanks 1

Holiday in Spain Poster

Scent Of Mystery aka Holiday In Spain (1960) TCM 4/10

An English photographer (Denholm Elliott) uncovers a murder plot while vacationing in Spain.

I saw this because I am a big Peter Lorre fan and wanted to add this to my list of his films that I have seen. It was pretty bad, Lorre does appear in most of the scenes but merely drives Elliott around and has a few quips here and there. Mike Todd Jr produced and seems to want to do a smaller scale version of his late father's Around The World In Eighty Days. The color and scenery are beautiful but the script is ridiculous. However it is almost worth it to see the surprise cameo at the end. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Scent Of Mystery aka Holiday In Spain (1960) TCM 4/10

An English photographer (Denholm Elliott) uncovers a murder plot while vacationing in Spain.

I saw this because I am a big Peter Lorre fan and wanted to add this to my list of his films that I have seen. It was pretty bad, Lorre does appear in most of the scenes but merely drives Elliott around and has a few quips here and there. Mike Todd Jr produced and seems to want to do a smaller scale version of his late father's Around The World In Eighty Days. The color and scenery are beautiful but the script is ridiculous. However it is almost worth it to see the surprise cameo at the end. 

Have you ever watched: The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)? I really like Peter Lorre in it.

• Like 1

Saw The Mask of Dimitrios (1944) several times (you also get Sydney Greenstreet and Zachary Scott (?).  I think it is based on a book by Eric Ambler.

Last night, I watched (and slept through - not because it is boring) Deep End of The Ocean (sad), followed by the beginning of The Big Chill (saw the ending the other night).  Like the soundtrack and the cast.  Kevin Costner's Alex wound up on the cutting-room floor.

Mountain of the Cannibal God (1978)

Exploitation Italian cannibal flick with plenty of grisly shock effects (decapitations, an arm snapped off by a gator, a closeup a **** cut off, a head crunched with its brain splattered etc.), this film is distinguished by a bigger budget than many of it type, in addition to the casting of two international stars, Ursula Andress and Stacy Keach, neither of whom was likely to consider this film a highlight in their careers.

Standard jungle adventure about an expedition in search of a man who disappeared on an island off New Guinea, the film has an undeniable nastiness to many of its scenes, particularly in its final portion when the party is taken captive by cannibals. For all those red blooded males interested later scenes include Andress staked out naked with native hand maidens rubbing her down with oils. Andress was 42 when this film was made and, while undeniably still striking in appearance, it feels a bit degrading to see her allowing herself to be exploited this way.

There will also be plenty of gore in the cannibal scenes, as well as an act of beastiality. I strongly suspect that acts of animal cruelty  occurred in this production (one lizard slit open looks uncomfortably real, for instance), much of which was shot on location in Sri Lanka.

Also known as Slave of the Cannibal God and Prisoner of the Cannibal God, this mildly diverting film, if ever shown on TCM, would undoubtedly only be broadcast in the wee hours of a Saturday morning.

Mountain+of+the+Cannibal+God+%25281978%2

2 out of 4

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Blondie Takes a Vacation Poster

Blondie Takes A Vacation (1939) Movies! Channel 7/10

Blondie and Dagwood take Baby Dumpling and Daisy for a two week vacation at lakeview lodge.

Another very good entry, the 3rd in the series. There are plenty of laughs but some sentiment and suspense too. It is also helped by two great character actors in supporting roles. Donald MacBride plays a mean grouch who gets in an altercation with the Bumsteads on a train. He later turns out to be the owner of the hotel they are staying at, he kicks them out. Donald Meek plays a lovable eccentric who turns out to be a pyromaniac. The Bumsteads then go to a rundown hotel owned by an old couple in dire straits. Blondie convinces Dagwood to help them and also find out MacBride is trying to take the business away. 

On 6/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I couldn't get into it. But I'm not a fan of Hammer films anyway.