Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Just read a review in NY Times of Trebek.  Betty White is my Mom's age.  Frankly, I don't want to face Jeopardy without Alex.  Vanna did an okay job when Pat Sajak (he has a funny sense of humor that some people/contestants may not like) was out (liked when Pat's daughter filled in for Vanna).  I don't know whether Trebek actually has the right to name his successor (remember what happened with Johnny Carson re: Letterman).

At lunchtime, I watched (re-watched) The Young Philadelphians.  Also, in my area, we are back to having COVID updates.

The original Jeopardy! went through somewhat the same thing with Art Fleming.  There were some iterations of Jeopardy between the original NBC run and the current syndicated version with Trebek.  The show has only had two regular hosts since 1964.

• Like 1

My Mom was on the original Jeopardy and we have two of those old blue cards.  She said that Art Fleming made the show more about him than the contestants (though he wasn't mean).  Never saw the episodes (she was a one-day champ) because it ran during the day when I was in school.  Wasn't it Merv Griffin's wife who came up with the idea.

1 hour ago, YourManGodfrey said:

Three on a Match (1932)

I’ll be honest and say that the story here isn’t really that interesting. However, the star power and pre-code brutality more than makes up for that. This film features Warren William, Ann Dvorak, Joan Blondell, Lyle Talbot, Humphrey Bogart, and small appearances by Alan Jenkins, Glenda Farrell, and Frankie Darro. This film marks the earliest Bogart film I’ve seen. His part is very small, but he comes across as menacing as ever. 

This film also features a little actress you may have heard of, she went by the name BETTE DAVIS. 
she looks GREAT, but her role is AWFUL. Seemed to have star potential, wonder what became of her...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This film also features a little actress you may have heard of, she went by the name BETTE DAVIS. 
she looks GREAT, but her role is AWFUL. Seemed to have star potential, wonder what became of her...?

Bette was wasted but at least we get to see her in a swimsuit!

In Photos: Bette Davis's Most Glamorous Moments - Bette Davis's ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I actually had her in my post, but I must have accidentally deleted her name.  

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I actually had her in my post, but I must have accidentally deleted her name.  

Don’t worry, I don’t think BETTE would be too mad at you for omitting  her from the cast list for this film... (Or PARACHUTE JUMPER or WICKED STEPMOTHER or BUNNY O’HARE.)

Everything else she ever made though, she’d come back from the grave to* get you* if you forgot to mention her!

3 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

Three on a Match (1932)

I’ll be honest and say that the story here isn’t really that interesting. However, the star power and pre-code brutality more than makes up for that. This film features Warren William, Ann Dvorak, Joan Blondell, Lyle Talbot, Humphrey Bogart, and small appearances by Alan Jenkins, Glenda Farrell, and Frankie Darro. This film marks the earliest Bogart film I’ve seen. His part is very small, but he comes across as menacing as ever. 

...I too, noticed no BETTE... I like that movie, BTW...

8 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Has anyone been watching retro Jeopardy.  I realize how much Alex Trebek has really grown into his role.  He is leaving more time for the contestants to get through the board.  He also kind of looks like a younger Tom Selleck.  Just read he wants Betty White to replace him.

Yes and I agree that he has grown into his role.  Plus, the show looks much less tacky!

• Like 1

The Big Trees Poster

The Big Trees (1952) TCM On Demand 5/10

A lumber company owner (Kirk Douglas) wants to swindle the great sequoia trees from a Quaker community.

While this was not a very good film, there was some things I enjoyed. The TCM color print was dark and faded and while it's only 89 minutes long, it's dull at times. However, Douglas plays his role very well, another of his cynical heels he had become famous for. Some familiar characters actors are here- Edgar Buchanan plays a gun toting stranger who supports and then opposes the Douglas character. Alan Hale Jr is a rowdy lumberjack. Ellen Corby portrays a pregnant Quaker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Big Trees Poster

The Big Trees (1952) TCM On Demand 5/10

A lumber company owner (Kirk Douglas) wants to swindle the great sequoia trees from a Quaker community.

While this was not a very good film, there was some things I enjoyed. The TCM color print was dark and faded and while it's only 89 minutes long, it's dull at times. However, Douglas plays his role very well, another of his cynical heels he had become famous for. Some familiar characters actors are here- Edgar Buchanan plays a gun toting stranger who supports and then opposes the Douglas character. Alan Hale Jr is a rowdy lumberjack. Ellen Corby portrays a pregnant Quaker.

I saw this film for the first time just a few weeks ago.     Yea,  only OK.    As you say Douglas is good and this role fit the screen persona he was establishing at that time.   But to me Buchanan was miscast.    E.g. when he stood up to Douglas in that records-office scene where Douglas is trying to 'steal' the land.     I just couldn't take Buchanan serious (I've seen too much Petticoat Junction I guess!).    Also,  Ellen Corby just didn't add much.      There needed to be a more well known,  strong headed women like Ruth Roman.

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

But to me Buchanan was miscast. 

That's true, he was hardly a tough guy, but I am always glad to see him show up in a film. My favorites are the helpful friend of new parents Cary Grant and Irene Dunne in Penny Serenade and the drunken judge in Ride The High Country. 

21 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

That's true, he was hardly a tough guy, but I am always glad to see him show up in a film. My favorites are the helpful friend of new parents Cary Grant and Irene Dunne in Penny Serenade and the drunken judge in Ride The High Country. 

I felt awfully bad for that drunken judge. What a no-win situation in which to find oneself .

When five little pandas beat the stuffing out of one little panda.....

that makes me a sad panda.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I like Edgar Buchanan also and he has done some fine work in films like Texas (an early Holden \ Glenn Ford film),   Talk of the Town (with Grant, Jean Arthur and Roland Colman),  Framed (Gleen Ford and our noir gal Janis Carter),    Lust For Gold (Ford,  Lupino),    Shane (Ladd,  Arthur,  Van Heflin),       Human Desire (Ford yet again, and Gloria Grahame),  Cimarron (wow,  never realized how often he was in a film with Glenn Ford!),     and ending his career with his favorite co-star,  Benji in 1974.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I like Edgar Buchanan also and he has done some fine work in films like Texas (an early Holden \ Glenn Ford film),   Talk of the Town (with Grant, Jean Arthur and Roland Colman),  Framed (Gleen Ford and our noir gal Janis Carter),    Lust For Gold (Ford,  Lupino),    Shane (Ladd,  Arthur,  Van Heflin),       Human Desire (Ford yet again, and Gloria Grahame),  Cimarron (wow,  never realized how often he was in a film with Glenn Ford!),     and ending his career with his favorite co-star,  Benji in 1974.

He played a dentist in a movie about what I think is the James Brothers. Seeing him with a tooth grabber in his hand is an harrowing experience.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

He's also very good in The Sea of Grass, where he plays the cook on Spencer Tracy's ranch.

• Like 1

220px-Six_days_seven_nights.jpg

I watched this last night. I haven't seen it since we taped it off of TV years ago. It's a fun little movie and well-acted. It's the usual formula of boy-meets-girl and they loathe each other at first, but we all know where it's going. The only difference is they are stranded on an island and being hunted by pirates. Funny and sweet. I would buy it.

• Like 3

Woman in a dressing gown  1957 UK by J Lee Thompson 

Excellent drama with Yvonne Mitchell, Anthony Quayle, Sylvia Sims.After 20 years of marriage a housewife is facing divorce.Amazing performance by Yvonne Mitchell-a celebrated stage actress-she won the Berlin Festival best actress award for 1957. 8.5/10.

woman.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just watched the 1970 movie directed by Carl Reiner WHERE'S POPPA? It stars George Segal as a frustrated bachelor who is caretaker for his crazy old senile Mother played to perfection by Ruth Gordon. I believe this was shown for Carl Reiner's tribute.

This is a dark comedy that works perfectly hilarious at times and some of the humor falls really flat & dated other times. I had completely forgotten how adorable & appealing Segal was as a young man and his comedic talent really shines in this role. Ruth Gordon pretty much plays the same wacky old lady as her famous role in HAROLD & MAUDE, only this time she's actually senile. Rather than being sad, her senility is what brings the comic element to the story, preventing her son from having any sort of normal romantic relationship.

Segal meets the woman of his dreams perfectly cast by very sweet & pretty Trish Van Devere who was better known on stage than films (and married to Geo C. Scott)  Of course, Mom sabotages any attempt at a relationship and hilarity ensues, sometimes.

I LOL at the scene of Segal's brother having to run across Central Park at night to get to Segal's apartment to help in emergency with Mom. He is detained by hardly scary gang of black guys hanging around a statue, one played by Garrett Morris (see? not very menacing) waiting to mug him. Uh, for those of you too young to remember, NYC in the 70's=mugging cliché. Well, I LOL because the brother wasn't carrying his wallet so the gang stole all his clothing and he ran stark naked to the brother's apartment. He shows up with his hands over his privates and is welcomed into the house as if nothing's happened. So it's that kind of humor. 

But the second time he runs through without his wallet, the gang forces him to rape a lone woman. Not funny. Not ever. It's amazing to me that used to be "acceptable humor". The victim turns out to be a guy in drag who sends the brother flowers in jail. More really bad taste, not funny.

Also, the ending is a real thud. Maybe I'm bringing my own experience to this, making it distasteful to just me & maybe others won't find it as offensive.  I never believed what I was watching, so I could enjoy everyone's stellar performances & comedy, making the offensive aspects easier to ignore.

Upon seeing this, I recognized a few scenes, must have seen it before but had forgotten most of it.

Where's_Poppa_poster.jpg

(oops I had forgotten to mention Segal's sister-in-law was played by the beautiful, fabulous actress Rae Allen who pack a huge punch in her brief scenes)

6a1b9a52391b2f90545cf16d879590d7.jpg

• Like 2

Piccadilly (1929)

I've wanted to see this film and recorded it the last time it was on TCM. Just tried to watch it. I found the new music track so offensive, that I deleted the movie. I guess I could have watched it totally silent, but I would have preferred to have the original soundtrack. I think one reason new tracks are added to films during restoration is that they extend (or renew) the copyright.

It was nice seeing Nancy Kwan talking about Anna May Wong in the introduction to the film.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I had completely forgotten how adorable & appealing Segal was as a young man and his comedic talent really shines in this role. 

I'm a huge George Segal fan. I collect his movies on DVD as much as possible - from TCM and from DVD's.

Superb comic actor and a damn fine dramatic actor as well.

• Like 1

Last night, I watched Benny and June (sp?).  I hope Johnny Depp overcomes his troubles.  Sad and touching and Depp's physical ability was great.  All around good acting.  Then I watched the last bit of Wonder, which I had a mixed reaction to.  The central character was not that horrible looking (I think that the book was supposed to be better - I remember there were complaints about the movie tie-in which changed the "fill-in-the-blank" face (i.e., it left it to your imagination)).  My brother had Down Syndrome and was mongoloid or had water on the brain.  There were students in my school who resembled my brother and people avoided them and referred to them as "retards."  When I earned my ELA certification and student taught or substitute taught, I tried to educate students not to use that derogatory term.  I still enjoyed Wonder, but I wonder why TV and movies always want to "airbrush" people with physical and mental disabilities.  I can't watch films like Forest Gump, where he is relatively high functioning, or The Good Doctor.  The closet thing I ever remember watching that resembled my brother was a David MacCallum (sp?) TV movie called Teacher Teacher.  Excuse typos.

For the George Segal lover, a cute movie is Carbon Copy with Denzel W. and The Quiller Memorandum.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I watched this last night. I haven't seen it since we taped it off of TV years ago. It's a fun little movie and well-acted. It's the usual formula of boy-meets-girl and they loathe each other at first, but we all know where it's going. The only difference is they are stranded on an island and being hunted by pirates. Funny and sweet. I would buy it.

I like this movie as well.  And while it's true it does have the same old formula of man and woman loathing each other, then falling for each other, it's still a lot of fun to watch.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I got tired of waiting for TCM to show it, so I bought a DVD of it on Ebay.

It's been a bit of an oddball day. This afternoon, I saw most of The Big Trees on demand which was pretty good, and I stayed up late last night for the oddball pairing of A Dream of Kings and Who'll Stop the Rain. The former with Anthony Quinn was very well acted by him, Irene Papas, and Inger Stevens and was a very moving story, but, being a 1969 film, it made some odd moves to "juice" it up with being provocative. I didn't need to see Anthony Quinn in only briefs or to hear him give a sex talk to a 14 year old boy around a certain solitary sexual activity. If it hadn't been for those scenes it could have been a 9; it will have to settle for an 8. And Who'll Stop the Rain has to be one of the more explicit films that I've ever seen on TCM. The language is very rough for a 1978 film, and given the subject matter (involving Nick Nolte, Tuesday Weld, and Michael Moriarty caught up in a drug carrying deal), it should come as no surprise that there are many graphic scenes of drug abuse, all presented unflinchingly. I watched it for Weld, and she delivered with an absolutely stunning performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Who'll Stop the Rain has to be one of the more explicit films that I've ever seen on TCM. The language is very rough for a 1978 film, and given the subject matter (involving Nick Nolte, Tuesday Weld, and Michael Moriarty caught up in a drug carrying deal), it should come as no surprise that there are many graphic scenes of drug abuse, all presented unflinchingly. I watched it for Weld, and she delivered with an absolutely stunning performance.

I always thought it was a very good movie. Watching it again this morning reinforced that opinion. Nolte is so much better in this one than he was in the previous year's The Deep.