Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Lemon-Shaped Rock said:

The Freshman (1925)

Although Keaton might be my favorite of the '20s comedic stars, Harold Lloyd is just so charming -- a lovable "boy next door" type. That football tryouts scene is a slapstick gem.

And he looks like an intellectual. Is that good ... or bad?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lorna, you are entitled to my share of Oliver Reed as well as your own. The personality that comes across on screen is usually so repugnant to me that I don't like him as a fantasy boyfriend or even as an actor.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kingrat said:

I don't like him as a fantasy boyfriend or even as an actor.

Yeah, seeing him in Ken Russel's THE DEVILS certainly puts a cap on any likability.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past two days we watched Parasite which won the academy award this year and although it was interesting and worth the time, it just didn't seem like an academy award movie to us.  Then we watched the other DVD I got from the Walmart bargain bin The Book Club with Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton and Candice Bergen.  It was  SO BAD we  stopped watching after 30 minutes, but it ended up giving us lots of laughs  through reading  the two star reviews on IMBD. 

Then.  Last night.  We watched ....

Elmer Gantry and were just so thankful for TCM and great movies with fantastic performances by all.  What a gem.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lemon-Shaped Rock said:

I really enjoy Werewolf of London. I rewatched it not too long ago and I think it holds up quite well. I need to watch more Hammer films. I've read so much about them yet I've only seen a handful of their titles. I'll probably check out The Curse of the Werewolf soon since it's on the new Peacock app.

I noticed Universal's logo was still on CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF, so I bet it would be on Le Peacock. For some reason I cannot get Peacock on my TV, and it worries me I might miss out on some Universal titles...MURDER, SHE WROTE as well (which I saw is offered.)

I say this as a big fan of HAMMER HORROR: in my opinion, the studio never made a completely satisfying film- there is always something a little lacking, which is part of why I watch them so often (I have the mind of a revisionist and I can see room for improvements in the scripts.) there is a tendency in a lot of horror film historians to lay it on a little thick when discussing HAMMER and overpraise them, whereas I have come to  enjoy their output for their faults and merits.

the best film HAMMER made, in my opinion, is BRIDES OF DRACULA, if you have not seen it, I would say start there.

There are also a lot of very good HAMMER HORROR DOCUMENTARIES (some with interviews by LEE and CUSHING) on the internet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kingrat said:

Lorna, you are entitled to my share of Oliver Reed as well as your own. The personality that comes across on screen is usually so repugnant to me that I don't like him as a fantasy boyfriend or even as an actor.

 

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Yeah, seeing him in Ken Russel's THE DEVILS certainly puts a cap on any likability.

I actually thought he was AMAZING in THE DEVILS- but it's been a while since I saw it and the whole film made SUCH an IMPACT on me.

I think we've had this discussion re: OLIVER REED before, and I admit that I have the sneaking suspicion a date with him would end with filling out a lengthy Police Report, still...the heart wants what it wants...

ff097580c4fef4f029dc6e62c1a7b86d.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

i did not realize that this must've aired as part of ROCK HUDSON'S SUTS DAY:

large_rbnxsFi5isWNrjXlNLbDrNOo7Ao.jpg

THIS WAS MY SECOND VIEWING.

I first read about this in THE PSYCHOTRONIC FILM GUIDE. then saw it on TCM almost two years ago exactly (i actually scoured the site for my review of it, but cannot find it.)

I would absolutely understand if you HATED this film and somewhat see where you are coming from if you LOVED IT.

Yes, it was written by GENE RODDENBERRY.

I'm having a hard time conveying how DEEPLY EARLY 70'S THIS FILM IS...it's a murder mystery sex farce set at a Pacific Palisades high school where ALL the female students are MARCIA BRADYS of various ethnicities. ROCK HUDSON is the football coach who is sleeping with all of them and possibly murdering some as well. JOHN DAVID CARSON- who was genuinely very cute and likeable- is a student who has an affair with substitute teacher ANGIE DICKINSON (who, really has a terrible, terrible part, but a surprisingly nice condo on a substitute teacher's salary)

pretty3.png?resize=525,295&ssl=1

knowing what we know now about SEXUAL MANIPULATION and the VARIOUS DARK SIDES OF THE "FREE LOVE" MOVEMENT, it's hard not to see this movie as a dark dark dark psychological thriller dressed in a miniskirt and bathed in the Southern California sunlight.

i think a remake would be possible and even intriguing, but it would need to keep the time and place of the original.

TELLY SAVALAS is in this. So is RODDY MACDOWALL as the HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL (less than 10 years after playing a high school student in LORD LOVE A DUCK.)

Lots of great scenery, cars and nudity for all you straight guys out there and ROCK HUDSON is actually quite committed and NAILS his final scene- reminds me of how good he is in his monologue at the end of THE TARNISHED ANGELS. For some odd reason though, I would say at least 40% of his lines throughout the film were dubbed in post production (and they do not do a good job of hiding it.) It hurts his performance and I kind of wonder why this was done, as no one else in the film was so overtly dubbed (that i noticed.)

A QUESTION FOR ANY OF YOU WHO HAVE SEEN THIS FILM: WERE CHOCOLATE DUCKS FILLED WITH LIQUOR A THING IN THE SEVENTIES?

PRETTY+MAIDS+ALL+IN+A+ROW+%25281971%2529

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I noticed Universal's logo was still on CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF, so I bet it would be on Le Peacock. For some reason I cannot get Peacock on my TV, and it worries me I might miss out on some Universal titles...MURDER, SHE WROTE as well (which I saw is offered.)

I say this as a big fan of HAMMER HORROR: in my opinion, the studio never made a completely satisfying film- there is always something a little lacking, which is part of why I watch them so often (I have the mind of a revisionist and I can see room for improvements in the scripts.) there is a tendency in a lot of horror film historians to lay it on a little thick when discussing HAMMER and overpraise them, whereas I have come to  enjoy their output for their faults and merits.

the best film HAMMER made, in my opinion, is BRIDES OF DRACULA, if you have not seen it, I would say start there.

There are also a lot of very good HAMMER HORROR DOCUMENTARIES (some with interviews by LEE and CUSHING) on the internet.

That's always been my understanding. Many scholars/historians have praised Hammer, though many of their films were hindered by small budgets.

Yes, Brides of Dracula is enjoyable. I recently watched The Phantom of the Opera (1962) which was decent. I believe that film had a larger budget than many of Hammer's other titles. The theatricality worked well with the Technicolor visual design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lemon-Shaped Rock said:

That's always been my understanding. Many scholars/historians have praised Hammer, though many of their films were hindered by small budgets.

Yes, Brides of Dracula is enjoyable. I recently watched The Phantom of the Opera (1962) which was decent. I believe that film had a larger budget than many of Hammer's other titles. The theatricality worked well with the Technicolor visual design.

Their version of PHANTOM Is unfortunate. I would like it a lot better if Herbert Lom periodically started twitching his eye and going on about “CLOUSEAU!”

some recommendacciones:

SCARS OF DRACULA- Flawed as it is is a very special film to me.

TWINS OF EVIL and VAMPIRE CIRCUS are later films from the studio, but I like both of them and both of them are available on Amazon prime

CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER is a peculiar film, it starts out as a comedy and does not end that way, but I think it’s on prime too. And it’s interesting.

EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN Is the only one of their Frankenstein films that I find interesting.

PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES Is available in two parts on Dailymotion.com, It’s REALLY GRAPHIC And ahead of its time with this depiction of zombies and gore, if you haven’t seen it, it may be one you would enjoy.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night, after Doc Martin on PBS, watched the end of Elmer Gantry.  I thought it was great and it was one of Sinclair Lewis' novels I haven't read.  Shirley Jones earned her Supporting Actress Oscar and what a great cast.  Burt Lancaster was great plus the movie makes you think (about many things).  Liked listening to Ben M. talking about Richard Brooks (director not Law & Order actor) and his relationship with Lewis.

Tonight, we will be watching TCM and Sylvia Sidney, whom my Grandma Claire knew when she worked at a NYC Hospital.  Appropriate as this would have been my Grandmother's birthday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Bad Mama (1974) 

Big Bad Mama (1974)

 

Pretty harmless time waster that's a bit of a sexploitaion/comedy  riff on Bonnie And Clyde. Highly recommended for any fans of Angie wink, wink. Free on Amazon Prime streaming

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN Is the only one of their Frankenstein films that I find interesting.

cPmjbYT.jpg

This is a Instacart shopper. I almost let her go without asking for a pic. She did not hesitate to comply. I'm not sure what the other pic is but it is not related to monster stuff.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think we've had this discussion re: OLIVER REED before, and I admit that I have the sneaking suspicion a date with him would end with filling out a lengthy Police Report, still...the heart wants what it wants...

Except for a few decent turns in "The Brood", "Adv. of Baron Munchhausen" and "Burnt Offerings", and an Oscar-robbed coda in "Gladiator", Reed was always typecast as the brooding Bronte'-brute borderline sadist, in Oliver! (1968) or Dr. Heckyl & Mr. Hype (1980).

After reports that, on the set of Disney's Condorman (1981), when he had to kidnap Barbara Carrera into a helicopter, and didn't think she was panicking realistically enough as it was taking off, he opened the door for real and nearly threatened to throw her out, I began to suspect that wasn't just casting to type...  😒

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Their version of PHANTOM Is unfortunate. I would like it a lot better if Herbert Lom periodically started twitching his eye and going on about “CLOUSEAU!”

 

EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN Is the only one of their Frankenstein films that I find interesting.

 

 

Actually, I like the Hammer version of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Nothing beats Lon Chaney's version of course, but Herbert Lom did a fine job as the title character.

I love all the Hammer FRANKENSTEIN films. Most viewers dislike EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN since it breaks away from the continuity of THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (my personal favorites of the series), but I actually enjoy EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN, I just pretends it's a different branch of the Frankenstein family that is out there making monsters.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I noticed Universal's logo was still on CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF, so I bet it would be on Le Peacock. For some reason I cannot get Peacock on my TV, and it worries me I might miss out on some Universal titles...MURDER, SHE WROTE as well (which I saw is offered.)

I don't think Peacock is available on Roku and similar services yet? The website has a "Classic Monsters" section, offering Werewolf of London and Curse of the Werewolf, but not The Wolf Man. (Perhaps the streaming rights are with another provider right now, and when that agreement expires it will join the rest of the Universal Monsters?)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Actually, I like the Hammer version of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Nothing beats Lon Chaney's version of course, but Herbert Lom did a fine job as the title character.

I love all the Hammer FRANKENSTEIN films. Most viewers dislike EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN since it breaks away from the continuity of THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (my personal favorites of the series), but I actually enjoy EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN, I just pretends it's a different branch of the Frankenstein family that is out there making monsters.

HERBERT LOM is always good, and HEATHER SEARS is terrific in THE STORY OF ESTHER COSTELLO, They are not the problem with the HAMMER PHANTOM...I think my biggest problem besides the script is the fact the production design is so aggressively putty colored and DRAB.

I enjoy the make up in EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN And the fact that it’s the one time in the series where the monster really seems to have a presence in the story, And does not seem somewhat peripheral.

And I do love how Peter Cushing plays Dr Frankenstein as such a genteel, refined rat bastard.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Big Bad Mama (1974) 

Big Bad Mama (1974)

 

Pretty harmless time waster that's a bit of a sexploitaion/comedy  riff on Bonnie And Clyde. Highly recommended for any fans of Angie wink, wink. Free on Amazon Prime streaming

 

A rare double mention for ANGIE DICKINSON on the boards! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And I do love how Peter Cushing plays Dr Frankenstein as such a genteel, refined rat bastard.

Cushing's Dr. Frankenstein always believed  that with his experiments, the ends justified the means (no matter how unscrupulous his means turned out to be). 

In some of the films he almost wins you to his side. I think, particularly, in REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN and EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN he even comes off as somewhat sympathetic.

On the other hand, in THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, he is totally self-absorbed, cold blooded (SPOILER ALERT)….as his murder of a visiting professor for his brain proved.

Also in FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED (again, SPOILERS here) his rape of the young lady Anna (whom he blackmails into allowing him to perform his experiments in her boarding house) is even more deplorable, as his attack on her has nothing to do with his mad desire to create and recreate life into the bodies he infuses with.

One can say that Cushing's version of Dr. Frankenstein had more of a Jekyll/Hyde personality than even Dr. Jekyll did.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

 

After reports that, on the set of Disney's Condorman (1981), when [OLIVER REED]had to kidnap Barbara Carrera into a helicopter, and didn't think she was panicking realistically enough as it was taking off, he opened the door for real and nearly threatened to throw her out, I began to suspect that wasn't just casting to type...  😒

Well, to be fair, BARBARA CARRERA is not the greatest actress in the world, maybe he felt some Method was required to elicit a genuine reaction..?
(Sort of like when Steve McQueen *for real slaps* Ali MacGraw in THE GETAWAY...[And bless her heart, she doesn’t even react naturally to that].)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

A QUESTION FOR ANY OF YOU WHO HAVE SEEN THIS FILM: WERE CHOCOLATE DUCKS FILLED WITH LIQUOR A THING IN THE SEVENTIES?

Don't know about ducks  but they still have liquor filled chocolates around 😉

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

I don't think Peacock is available on Roku and similar services yet? The website has a "Classic Monsters" section, offering Werewolf of London and Curse of the Werewolf, but not The Wolf Man. (Perhaps the streaming rights are with another provider right now, and when that agreement expires it will join the rest of the Universal Monsters?)

It's not on Roku or Amazon Firestick, the top 2 streaming devices in the U.S (about 70% of streaming users).  It's no wonder they've only signed up 10M subscribers in their first month (compared to Disney+ which attained that benchmark in 24 hours).

They have a free tier, which is unusual, but of course it's ad-supported/interrupted, content limited (about 2/3 of the catalog), and has an upper limit on amount you can stream.  There's two paid tiers, a cheaper one with ads, and the more expensive one which eliminates ads.

The sticking point with Roku is apparently NBCUniversal's refusal to share their ad model with them, which apparently is the model used on other Roku streaming apps.  Seems that the same issues that plague cable/satellite distribution services (a fight over a piece of the pie) has carried over to streaming devices...

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You and Me Poster

You And Me (1938) TCM 7/10

An ex con (George Raft) has now gone straight, working in a department store and he falls in love with a co worker (Sylvia Sidney) who keeps her criminal past secret from him.

I just re watched this one last night, I had not seen it in years. There are so many odd but entertaining things about it. First, it is directed by Fritz Lang, known mostly for dark crime films. This one has moments of comedy, social drama and even musical moments. It starts with a montage of images with Kurt Weill music and wild lyrics. Then there is the scene where the cast suddenly breaks into rhythmic dialogue. The whole thing probably should not have worked but somehow I believe it did.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

 

Also in FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED (again, SPOILERS here) his rape of the young lady Anna (whom he blackmails into allowing him to perform his experiments in her boarding house) is even more deplorable, as his attack on her has nothing to do with his mad desire to create and recreate life into the bodies he infuses with.

 

The scene was added after the movie was done,European distributors wanted some sex in it! CushIng was upset over this and very protective of Veronica Carlson,For him it was not a scene  he wanted and not necessary at all.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Well, to be fair, BARBARA CARRERA is not the greatest actress in the world, maybe he felt some Method was required to elicit a genuine reaction..?

So Bette Davis must not have thought Joan Crawford was a very good actress either.  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The sticking point with Roku is apparently NBCUniversal's refusal to share their ad model with them, which apparently is the model used on other Roku streaming apps.  Seems that the same issues that plague cable/satellite distribution services (a fight over a piece of the pie) has carried over to streaming devices...

Why should this surprise anybody?

(Sorry, but one of my bugaboos has long been the naivete among people who thought going to a la carte cable channel lineups would be oh-so-much cheaper.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...