Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

I bought the DVD of it (don't have a blu-ray player) but I agree, TCM is still using an old blurry print of it, which is really strange because the picture quality on the Warner Archive release is absolutely fantastic.

I figured that the Warner Archive MOD release would be better and it seems absurd that TCM wouldn't have access to it.  I actually haven't watched my Blu Ray yet to check out the quality, but I'm sure it's excellent.

Just now, speedracer5 said:

Based on your review, I would venture to say that the poster might be the best thing about this film.

I love the dramatic tag line.  It makes it sound like a horror movie where they're going to raise the Titanic and the Titanic will go rogue and attack everyone or something.

The film was made by a short lived company called AFD. It lost so much that along with several other 1980 disasters they did [Saturn 3 a sci-fi horror film with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett as lovers vs a crazed Harvey Keitel and his robot; directed by Stanley Donen; Can't Stop the Music, a campy musical starring The Village People and Bruce (now Caitlin) Jenner directed by Nancy Walker;  and a remake of The Jazz Singer with Neal Diamond, Lucie Arnaz, and Laurence Olivier], that the company folded up within two years of its founding. Oh well, at last they had The Muppet Movie, Inside Moves, and The Mirror Crack'd. those were good.

• Like 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

and worth mentioning, THERE IS A FOLLOWUP VIDEO WHERE THEY EXPLORE THE UNDERWATER WRECK OF THE CARDBOARDTANIC AND EVEN TRY TO RAISE IT.

IT IS ROUGHLY 7000x BETTER THAN THAT 1997 THING

Lol.

I saw the 1997 Titanic in the 8th grade on opening day.  I ended up seeing it 3 times over the course of the entire year that it was in the theater.  Remember when movies were in theaters for months on end if they were successful?

I know it's overly sappy and James Cameron is ridiculous, but I loved it.  My favorite part was when the Titanic is completely upright and that guy falls from the top onto  the propeller, and you hear that faint "ding!" sound.

I also like to break out that gif of Gloria Stuart saying "It's been 84 years" when I want to exaggerate about how long I've been waiting for something.

I also used to own the 2-VHS copy of Titanic, which I may have upgraded to Blu Ray. 

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ON TOPIC: OKAY, THIS IS A WILD COINCIDENCE, BUT I WATCHED THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY:

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

IT IS FASCINATING AND TO WATCH IT IN ENTIRETY IS TO GO SLIGHTLY INSANE!!!

The toilet paper tubes representing the smokestacks are a nice touch. 

4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The film was made by a short lived company called AFD. It lost so much that along with several other 1980 disasters they did [Saturn 3 a sci-fi horror film with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett as lovers vs a crazed Harvey Keitel and his robot; directed by Stanley Donen; Can't Stop the Music, a campy musical starring The Village People and Bruce (now Caitlin) Jenner directed by Nancy Walker;  and a remake of The Jazz Singer with Neal Diamond, Lucie Arnaz, and Laurence Olivier], that the company folded up within two years of its founding. Oh well, at last they had The Muppet Movie, Inside Moves, and The Mirror Crack'd. those were good.

"Saturn 3 a sci-fi horror film with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett as lovers vs a crazed Harvey Keitel and his robot; directed by Stanley Donen"

This sounds amazing.

I also love The Muppet Movie.  "A frog and a bear, seeing America."

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

and worth mentioning, THERE IS A FOLLOWUP VIDEO WHERE THEY EXPLORE THE UNDERWATER WRECK OF THE CARDBOARDTANIC AND EVEN TRY TO RAISE IT.

IT IS ROUGHLY 7000x BETTER THAN THAT 1997 THING

It's certainly much more entertaining than anything in Raise the Titanic! [well, the music was good in that film]

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

"Saturn 3 a sci-fi horror film with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett as lovers vs a crazed Harvey Keitel and his robot; directed by Stanley Donen"

This sounds amazing.

I also love The Muppet Movie.  "A frog and a bear, seeing America."

Saturn 3 definitely had one of the strangest title fonts ever seen for a film's title in the credits.....

saturn3.jpg

1980 was an oddball year. I had seen another one from 1980 last week that was more entertaining than the one today. it was How to Beat the High Co$t of Living, a heist film with Susan Saint James, Jessica Lange, Jane Curtain, Eddie Albert, Dabney Colman, Richard Benjamin, and Cathryn Damon. In spite of some very unnecessary nudity near the end (courtesy of Jane Curtin's body double) it was a spry comedy.

I like the Titanic movie with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck better than the later one.  A Night to Remember with David Mc. is also very good and more documentary-like.

By the way, decided to do Love with a Proper Stranger tonight.  Don't remember ever seeing it and, if I did, it was quite a long time ago.

7 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Saturn 3 definitely had one of the strangest title fonts ever seen for a film's title in the credits.....

saturn3.jpg

1980 was an oddball year. I had seen another one from 1980 last week that was more entertaining than the one today. it was How to Beat the High Co$t of Living, a heist film with Susan Saint James, Jessica Lange, Jane Curtain, Eddie Albert, Dabney Colman, Richard Benjamin, and Cathryn Damon. In spite of some very unnecessary nudity near the end (courtesy of Jane Curtin's body double) it was a spry comedy.

That is a weird font.  It looks like they tried to design it while looking at it in a mirror and something went awry. 

The other day, I decided to re-draw the boundary between "classic film" and "modern film" as a means to separate my movie collection into my two designated areas.  Previously, I had the cut-off at 1980.  I decided to move it to 1979 (which obviously makes more sense).  So was I trying to pull all my 1980 movies out to move them.  I had one 1980 film: 9 to 5. It didn't turn out to be the endeavor I thought it would be. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The toilet paper tubes representing the smokestacks are a nice touch. 

I actually think those are like those cardboard rolls you get from the post office to mail posters in. Seriously, they did not scrimp on the details in CARBOARDTANIC

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I like the Titanic movie with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck better than the later one.  A Night to Remember with David Mc. is also very good and more documentary-like.

By the way, decided to do Love with a Proper Stranger tonight.  Don't remember ever seeing it and, if I did, it was quite a long time ago.

I love Love With a Proper Stranger.  That was a great film.  I wish that both Natalie and Steve McQueen had made more of those films. I  like movies that are just straight drama, presented realistically, without people inserting  their "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION OSCAR SCENE" performance. 

I love the 1997 Titanic.  I don't care what anyone says.  I also loved the 1953 one with Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb.  I haven't seen A Night to Remember.  I always get the title mixed up with Remember the Night--even though I know that the latter film has nothing to do with Titanic.  I've also seen The Unsinkable Molly Brown with Debbie Reynolds.  I remember upon my first viewing, I thought that Debbie was a bit much: very loud.  I think I need to give that one  a re-watch since apparently that was a role that Debbie fought very hard to receive.

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I actually think those are like those cardboard rolls you get from the post office to mail posters in. Seriously, they did not scrimp on the details in CARBOARDTANIC

Oh okay.  More sturdy cardboard.  I love the lights.  Did they re-create the grand ballroom with the large staircase?

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That is a weird font.  It looks like they tried to design it while looking at it in a mirror and something went awry. 

The other day, I decided to re-draw the boundary between "classic film" and "modern film" as a means to separate my movie collection into my two designated areas.  Previously, I had the cut-off at 1980.  I decided to move it to 1979 (which obviously makes more sense).  So was I trying to pull all my 1980 movies out to move them.  I had one 1980 film: 9 to 5. It didn't turn out to be the endeavor I thought it would be. 

9 to 5 is indeed a wonderful comedy.  i've had a lot of enjoyment via that film. I am sharing what I have seen from 1980. And yes, I gave Xanadu a perfect score. It just hit me in the right way.

d24ui4T.png

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

9 to 5 is indeed a wonderful comedy.  i've had a lot of enjoyment via that film. I am sharing what I have seen from 1980. And yes, I gave Xanadu a perfect score. It just hit me in the right way.

d24ui4T.png

OMG I forgot about Xanadu. I love Xanadu.  It has everything: Roller disco, Gene Kelly, Gene Kelly playing a clarinet, Greek Gods, neon, Great 80s music, this movie has it all.   I'll have to move that one to my other shelf.  I am contemplating blind-buying Skatetown USA on Amazon, because I just found Roller Boogie for $5.  With Xanadu and Roller BoogieSkatetown USA would complete my roller disco trilogy.

I also love Airplane! but that one is on a double feature box set with Airplane 2, so that one is in the box set section of my shelf. 

I've seen a few other titles on this list, but I don't own them.  We have The Empire Strikes Back but it's part of a box set with the original trilogy so that'll be in the box set section of my shelving. 

Coal Miner's Daughter was a great movie.    I honestly can't read some of these other titles to know what they say. Lol. 

EDIT: Okay. I zoomed in.  I also like The Blues Brothers. I do not like The Shining.  I know others here will defend it to the death, but I found it boring and I've seen it three times.  I do like that the exterior of Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood (outside of Portland, OR) was used.  And I liked the scene with the blood wave in the hallway.  And, I liked the maze scene. 

I want to see Ordinary People, but I haven't seen it yet.  I will probably watch Bon, Voyage Charlie Brown eventually. I have a 4-Movie Charlie Brown box set.  Though, can it be as sad as A Boy Named Charlie Brown ? I asked out loud why there are no adults accompanying an 8-year old on a bus across state (not even a teacher!) and whose chaperone is another child and a dog and my husband theorized that all the adults  in the Peanuts' hometown were killed in a nuclear accident. Very bleak. 

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ON TOPIC: OKAY, THIS IS A WILD COINCIDENCE, BUT I WATCHED THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY:

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

IT IS FASCINATING AND TO WATCH IT IN ENTIRETY IS TO GO SLIGHTLY INSANE!!!

Cool needed some ice cubes floating around, lol

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Raise the Titanic (1980) -- 2/10 🤢  Source:HBO

A top contender for one of the dullest films I've ever seen. It's not offensive, but it is  not entertaining, interesting, or exciting either. And a capable cast is left playing characters more wooden than cardboard. A typically wonderful score by John Barry, some striking cinematography, and an impressive sequence showing the ship rising from the deep [in 1980, it was still assumed that the boat was in one piece] is all that this film has. Otherwise its terminal boredom.

When John Barry died a few years ago, half of the obits identified him as the 007 composer, and the other half, for some reason, identified him as the "Raise the Titanic" composer.

For years, the one "To Cornwall" cue (just before the hero meets Alec Guinness) was stuck in my head from the trailer, but I never actually got to see the film until Lord Grade's pre-AFD ITC movies started joining the Streaming Orphans on Amazon.  And yes, apart from Guinness, the only watchable relief from terminal boredom is that great titular Barry-goes-to-town climax where the ship finally arrives in NYC...Makes an old NY'er misty 😥 :

(And yes, didn't you want to PUNCH someone over the book's "twist" ending, which was probably telegraphed from the opening?)

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Oh, can you IMAGINE a female-directed "9 to 5" remake today, with gender-paranoia, social-justice bitterness and female-humor passive-hostility dripping from every corner?  😱  Colin Higgins knew that all we wanted was just a cute early-80's comedy with Lily Tomlin, Dolly Parton and Dabney Coleman, with only a....little preaching.

And yes, beware, when it comes to defending Xanadu, you are smack in a nest of known Museheads.  😈

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I honestly can't read some of these other titles to know what they say. Lol. 

For those who can't, L to R:
1:  Xanadu, Somewhere in Time, Melvin & Howard, The Shining, Ordinary People, The Last Metro, Superman II, My Bodyguard, The Blues Brothers, Stardust Memories, Resurrection, Gregory's Girl,

2: Hopscotch, The Elephant Man, Atlantic City, Coal Miner's Daughter, Airplane!, The Empire Strikes Back, How to Beat the High Cost of Living, Bronco Billy, The Earthling, Bon Voyage Charlie Brown, It's My Turn,

3: Fatso, Popeye, Inside Moves, Kagemusha, The Watcher in the Woods, The Mirror Crack'd, Tell Me a Riddle, Hide in Plain Sight, Private Benjamin, The Formula, The Competition, Seems Like Old Times,

4: The Man with Bogart's Face, The Stunt Man, Breaker Morant, The Long Good Friday, Raging Bull, Jane Austen in Manhattan, Honeysuckle Rose, Fame, Raise the Titanic.

Gotta admit, Cin, you've...pretty well covered 1980, unless you're trying to tell us you've actually never seen Flash Gordon or The Private Eyes (and thus can't cult-quote half the dialogue), somehow missed Tess or Mon Oncle d'Amerique at the arthouses, or failed to notice Altered States strangling streaming services like kudzu...And where the heck did you see The Formula??

A Boy Named Charlie Brown was the only "serious/artsy" Peanuts movie, and the last two were just extended Peanuts specials.  If the gang going to NY "without" a chaperone bothers you, Speed, just wait till Bon Voyage where they go to France on an exchange trip.  (But little else of linear plot consequence happens, besides an easily cleared up "mystery".)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The other day, I decided to re-draw the boundary between "classic film" and "modern film" as a means to separate my movie collection

Haha, youngster. My division is 1959/1960: anything made before I was born is "old" 

I love Love With a Proper Stranger.  That was a great film.  I wish that both Natalie and Steve McQueen had made more of those films. I  like movies that are just straight drama, presented realistically 

Agree 100%

I am not a McQueen fan mostly because of the movies he's in. It's not that they're bad movies, just not interesting enough for me to watch. I think LWAPS (!) is well written, acted & filmed. It made me feel like stunning Natalie Wood was just a normal everyday girl.

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

A Boy Named Charlie Brown was the only "serious/artsy" Peanuts movie

vincent-price-o-rly.gif

• Like 1

I love the 1997 Titanic.  I don't care what anyone says.  

I haven't seen A Night to Remember.  I always get the title mixed up with Remember the Night--even though I know that the latter film has nothing to do with Titanic. 

I've also seen The Unsinkable Molly Brown with Debbie Reynolds.  I remember upon my first viewing, I thought that Debbie was a bit much: very loud.  I think I need to give that one  a re-watch since apparently that was a role that Debbie fought very hard to receive.

OIP.wHF_1rHzAIzRNP0Ro2RMpwHaD-?pid=Api&r

(KIDDING, KIDDING!)

2. A NIGHT TO REMEMBER is a 1958 BRITISH film directed by ROY WARD BAKER (who had a WILD RESUME!). it is about 2 hours long, a very straightforward, no BS version of the TITANIC filmed in black and white without, as I recall, any BIG NAME ACTORS. IMO, it is the second best film of 1958.

3. GOD BLESS DEBBIE, ETERNAL ANGEL THAT SHE IS, but I think you'd probably find your original assessment correct in re: her work in MOLLY BROWN. Glad she got nominated for something though. had i been in the lifeboat with her, there's a good chance i'd've cold-cocked her with an oar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, EricJ said:

😥:
Gotta admit, Cin, you've...pretty well covered 1980, unless you're trying to tell us you've actually never seen Flash Gordon or The Private Eyes (and thus can't cult-quote half the dialogue),

"ARE YOU SAYING *I* KILLED LORD MORLEY?"

"NO, I'm sayin' you KILL ME!"